a guideline to start with while they evaluated him in

class/therapy. A month later we all met individually

to set Freddie's goals. We walked into the official

IEP with a fabulous draft and had a nice comfortable

IEP.

Just a thought. Good luck!!

nna

Mommy to Freddie 6yrs

Full Inclusion Kindy (Again-But it's a good thing!!!)

--- T <mtbclarion@...> wrote:

> Michele

>

> The VORT books are wonderful.

>

> I will say, although maybe I should not, that my

> book " Special Education:

> A Parent's Guide to a Child's Success " is loaded

> with academic goals and

> how to achieve them.

>

> Just a thought.

>

>

> T.

> Faculty

> University of Phoenix

> mtbclarion@...

> mtbclarion@...

> 503 504 0318

> Pacific Time

> IEP goals for

> 5-7 year old

>

>

> Hi all-

>

> My son's 3yr eval & IEP is coming up and I am in

> need of goals to

> include. There are no academic goals on his current

> IEP from preschool-

> so we are truly starting from scratch.

>

> I know Carol has mentioned the VORT books for gaol

> writing, which I

> plan on purchasing this week, but if anyone has any

> other suggestions,

> I would really appreciate them.

>

> Thanks,

> Michele

>

>

>

>

________________________________________________________________________________\

____

Never miss a thing. Make your home page.

http://www./r/hs

In order to write goals you need a place to start. The law states you need Present Level of Performance ( PLOP) to use as your base line. There certainly should be academic goals from preschool?!? What about color, number letter recognition? Counting skills? Writing, name recognition and reading? The evaluation will provide you with PLOPS- just make sure you agree with the evaul- they aren't always accurate. It's very hard to give suggestions for goals with out knowing where he is right now. Carol in IL AIM doihavtasay1 GigaTribe doihavtasayMom to seven including , 7 with TOF, AVcanal, GERD, LS, Asthma, subglottal stenosis, and DS.My problem is not how I look. It's how you see me. Join our Down Syndrome information group - Down Syndrome Treatment/ Listen to oldest dd's music http://www.myspace.com/vennamusic----- Original Message ----From: ptaszekmichele <MDP1116@...>Down Syndrome Treatment Sent: Monday, January 21, 2008 5:09:22 PMSubject: IEP goals for 5-7 year old

Hi all-

My son's 3yr eval & IEP is coming up and I am in need of goals to

include. There are no academic goals on his current IEP from preschool-

so we are truly starting from scratch.

I know Carol has mentioned the VORT books for gaol writing, which I

plan on purchasing this week, but if anyone has any other suggestions,

I would really appreciate them.

Thanks,

Michele

Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Search.

Thanks Carol-

There are no academic goals on my son's current IEP. I am not sure why, but I guess I will know better for next time. He knows colors and shapes, but cannot write his name independently. He can count consistently to 6. And can read about 10 words. He can recognize all his letters upper & lower case except lower case i & l. And he recognizes numbers to 20, but confuses 12 & 20.

Part of our issue is that he has a Kindergarten teaches who refuses to make modifications for him. Even the ones stated on the IEP. We just met this week and the principal is telling us they are going to correct things.

Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape in the new year.

where can I find this book?

IEP goals for 5-7 year old

Hi all-My son's 3yr eval & IEP is coming up and I am in need of goals to include. There are no academic goals on his current IEP from preschool-so we are truly starting from scratch.I know Carol has mentioned the VORT books for gaol writing, which I plan on purchasing this week, but if anyone has any other suggestions, I would really appreciate them.Thanks,Michele

On line is best although lots of bookstores have it.

If you enter my full name in Amazon. com or and Noble etc. You will find it.

It is a combination of personal stories but blended into the whole special education advocacy process with check lists, etc. If you get it I hope it's helpful. It has sold about 120,000 copies to date so someone must like it.

Thank you.

T. FacultyUniversity of Phoenixmtbclarion@...mtbclarion@...503 504 0318Pacific Time

IEP goals for 5-7 year old

Hi all-My son's 3yr eval & IEP is coming up and I am in need of goals to include. There are no academic goals on his current IEP from preschool-so we are truly starting from scratch.I know Carol has mentioned the VORT books for gaol writing, which I plan on purchasing this week, but if anyone has any other suggestions, I would really appreciate them.Thanks,Michele

Hang in there! A teacher can not decide she will not follow the IEP, it is illegal. The IEP is a contract between you and the school and must be followed. Keep on them and make them follow it. It is also a document in flow and can be changed when the IEP team sees it needs to be changed. If you want some goals put in, call a meeting of the team. You can call meetings as often as you need to. Last year I met with the team about once a month to get Faith's program in order.

ette

mom to Faith (10)DS

-------------- Original message from MDP1116@...: --------------

Thanks Carol-

There are no academic goals on my son's current IEP. I am not sure why, but I guess I will know better for next time. He knows colors and shapes, but cannot write his name independently. He can count consistently to 6. And can read about 10 words. He can recognize all his letters upper & lower case except lower case i & l. And he recognizes numbers to 20, but confuses 12 & 20.

Part of our issue is that he has a Kindergarten teaches who refuses to make modifications for him. Even the ones stated on the IEP. We just met this week and the principal is telling us they are going to correct things.

Don't 'hang in there' if the current IEP isn't being followed, and they aren't doing anything about it, FILE A COMPLIANCE COMPLAINT with your State's Department of Education!!!!

If you are in California I'll send you all you need to do it!

, Mom to 14, DS, Southern CaliforniaTo succeed in life,you need three things:a wishbone, a backbone and a funny bone.~ Reba McIntyre

Diagnosis Down Syndrome: A Site of Hope for New Parents or Parents with a Prenatal Diagnosishttp://www.leeworks.net/DDS/What to Say to Parents of a Child with a Diagnosishttp://www.leeworks.net/DDS/speech.html

Re: Re: IEP goals for 5-7 year old

Hang in there! A teacher can not decide she will not follow the IEP, it is illegal. The IEP is a contract between you and the school and must be followed. Keep on them and make them follow it. It is also a document in flow and can be changed when the IEP team sees it needs to be changed. If you want some goals put in, call a meeting of the team. You can call meetings as often as you need to. Last year I met with the team about once a month to get Faith's program in order.

ette

mom to Faith (10)DS

-------------- Original message from MDP1116aol: --------------

Thanks Carol-

First of all if it's in the IEP the teacher really has no choice in the matter. They are bound by law to follow it.I have found that offering to help the teacher, or if able. volunteering in the room at least in the beginning to model proper teaching technique to the teacher or aide is very helpful! Keep in mind some of these teachers have no experience and have been taught that's it requires lots of extra education for them to teach. I have also heard that many teachers feel like they are failing if the child with DS is not learning the same things at the same rate as the rest of the class, so be liberal with positive comments to the teacher regarding progress you are seeing.I also send in work sheets and other materials the teachers can use for modifications with out them having to do the work. I

*know* it's their job, but my goal is to get* her *educated, and if that means me doing a lot of work, I am OK with that. I wish I had a working scanner as I would just scan her IEP.... I always wanted to see examples of them too. Here is her written goal for her name- Objective/Benchmark will write :a) 4 of 8 letters for her first nameb) 6 of 8 letters for her first namec) first name independently Criteria90% accuracyProcedureDaily WorkTeacher observationOther- ConsultationTrimester reviews ( One tool used to help with name

writing not in the goals, was to have her sequence the letters in her name using letter tiles. That really helped her learn to spell her name.)Reading goals-Objective/Benchmark will read 100 sight words out of context independently with 90% accuracy using simultaneous sign language.Criteria90 % accuracyProcedureData chartingtestDaily workTeacher observationTrimester reviews Other reading goals were for comprehension- being able to answer who, what , be able to read

emergent level stories, be able to place picture cards of well known story in proper sequence, retell a story with words and sign.One thing I learned is the big evauls for IQ test words such as 'full' , empty, above, below, texture words etc..... this is where the VORT books come in handy! They are ALL listed and I was surprised that dingy SLP we had the year prior did NOT include them and so I felt her scores for the evaul could have been better. I put them all in her IEP after that ;-) Not sure if Micheal's book includes all those? My VORT books are out on loan at the moment so can't help with a list.Math goals where things like 'Rote counting to 50 independently with 90% accuracy using sign and words1:1 correspondence to 20Other goals- using a picture schedule to independently flow trough her dayCircling the correct day, date, weather on a form during circle timeParticipate in group activities

with minimal adult interactionRecognize dangerous situations and react accordinglyParticipate in PE with minimal adaptationsWith school supports in place, deliver a message to the office and return ( aye... there's the rug <g>) to the classroom independentlyAbility to express anger through appropriate cue when prompted by adult- IOW- when she is throwing a hissy fit, stomping her feet, hiding under a table an adult stepped in and taught her to express her anger in a more appropriate way- such as a sign, words, PECS while still remaining on task.I hope this gives you some ideas- this is just some of her goals on her old IEP....Make sure what ever you write is measurable so you have a concrete way to gauge progress or not....I know there is a great excerpt on 's Law site regarding writing measuable goals, but darn if I can find it right now!! Their books are WELL worth the money to have as

reference. Carol in IL AIM doihavtasay1 GigaTribe doihavtasayMom to seven including , 7 with TOF, AVcanal, GERD, LS, Asthma, subglottal stenosis, and DS.My problem is not how I look. It's how you see me. Join our Down Syndrome information group - Down Syndrome Treatment/ Listen to oldest dd's music http://www.myspace.com/vennamusic

Thanks Carol-

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now.

Thanks for sharing these Carol, I know they were meant for someone else but they helped me greatly. Would you again post the full names of the Vort books, please?

~ Patty

Re: Re: IEP goals for 5-7 year old

First of all if it's in the IEP the teacher really has no choice in the matter. They are bound by law to follow it.I have found that offering to help the teacher, or if able. volunteering in the room at least in the beginning to model proper teaching technique to the teacher or aide is very helpful! Keep in mind some of these teachers have no experience and have been taught that's it requires lots of extra education for them to teach. I have also heard that many teachers feel like they are failing if the child with DS is not learning the same things at the same rate as the rest of the class, so be liberal with positive comments to the teacher regarding progress you are seeing.I also send in work sheets and other materials the teachers can use for modifications with out them having to do the work. I *know* it's their job, but my goal is to get* her *educated, and if that means me doing a lot of work, I am OK with that. I wish I had a working scanner as I would just scan her IEP.... I always wanted to see examples of them too. Here is her written goal for her name- Objective/Benchmark will write :a) 4 of 8 letters for her first nameb) 6 of 8 letters for her first namec) first name independently

Criteria90% accuracyProcedureDaily WorkTeacher observationOther- ConsultationTrimester reviews ( One tool used to help with name writing not in the goals, was to have her sequence the letters in her name using letter tiles. That really helped her learn to spell her name.)Reading goals-Objective/Benchmark will read 100 sight words out of context independently with 90% accuracy using simultaneous sign language.Criteria90 % accuracyProcedureData chartingtestDaily workTeacher observationTrimester reviews Other reading goals were for comprehension- being able to answer who, what , be able to read emergent level stories, be able to place picture cards of well known story in proper sequence, retell a story with words and sign.One thing I learned is the big evauls for IQ test words such as 'full' , empty, above, below, texture words etc..... this is where the VORT books come in handy! They are ALL listed and I was surprised that dingy SLP we had the year prior did NOT include them and so I felt her scores for the evaul could have been better. I put them all in her IEP after that ;-) Not sure if Micheal's book includes all those? My VORT books are out on loan at the moment so can't help with a list.Math goals where things like 'Rote counting to 50 independently with 90% accuracy using sign and words1:1 correspondence to 20Other goals- using a picture schedule to independently flow trough her dayCircling the correct day, date, weather on a form during circle timeParticipate in group activities with minimal adult interactionRecognize dangerous situations and react accordinglyParticipate in PE with minimal adaptationsWith school supports in place, deliver a message to the office and return ( aye... there's the rug <g>) to the classroom independentlyAbility to express anger through appropriate cue when prompted by adult- IOW- when she is throwing a hissy fit, stomping her feet, hiding under a table an adult stepped in and taught her to express her anger in a more appropriate way- such as a sign, words, PECS while still remaining on task.I hope this gives you some ideas- this is just some of her goals on her old IEP....Make sure what ever you write is measurable so you have a concrete way to gauge progress or not....I know there is a great excerpt on 's Law site regarding writing measuable goals, but darn if I can find it right now!! Their books are WELL worth the money to have as reference.

Carol in IL

AIM doihavtasay1 GigaTribe doihavtasayMom to seven including , 7 with TOF, AVcanal, GERD, LS, Asthma, subglottal stenosis, and DS.My problem is not how I look. It's how you see me.

Join our Down Syndrome information group -

Down Syndrome Treatment/

Listen to oldest dd's music http://www.myspace.com/vennamusic

Thanks Carol-

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now.