RemedySpot.com

Re: Steph- PBS - Medicating children

Rate this topic

Guest guest

<<I should preface all this by stating the subjectmatter was about medicating children with behavioral /depression / anxiety and some personality disorders.>>

True and good to mention. It was actually focusing on the overdiagnosis of bipolar in children at the beginning. I found it particularly interesting due to the very high number of children with DS-Aut who are medicated at a very young age...some as early as 3 on risperdal (shudder) and always accompanied by other drugs. This has been a constant thorn in my you know what as they just don't try anything else first. Meds are fine if needed and a last resort but what about behavioral treatments and diet and etc. etc. (This is in no way intended to reflect on 's work which is focusing on a completely different causation and desired effect).

I thought they were pretty upfront too about the necessity of any studies being done having to be funded by drug companies or they wouldn't be done at all. I also didn't think they showed enough "crazed" behavior from the kids they were medicating to make it seem that drugs were absolutely necessary. This is often done on shows about Autism

(thinking about Dr. Phil's recent show where the child was intent on killing and eating his mother...YO! bring on the drugs). I don't know....the whole industry seems so out of control.

Sherry