RemedySpot.com

Juicing

Rate this topic

Guest guest

We have a vitamix as well and make great things in it as well. Great machine!

Mountainlady <mountainlady@...> wrote: <<<<The one downside to juicing

is that you loose all of the great fiber from the fruits & veggies (unless you

are using the pulp to cook with).>>>>

You can make great juices (smoothies) and soups from *whole* foods in the

Vita-Mix. I started out with a Juiceman (extractor type juicer), but soon

switched to the Vita-Mix, which is used several times a day in our house. There

are mega nutrients in those skins and peels that are not going into extracted

juices, but *are* used in the Vita-Mix. Recipes are not the same as for an

extractor type juicer. They are not as sweet, but with some experimentation, you

can learn to make awesome, nutrition-loaded drinks, soups, and more!

Cheryl

• 4 years later...

I have been juicing for a few years now. I am new to the Vitamix world. When I researched several years ago, it showed that when you juice you get the enzimes and vitamins from the fruit or veggies (the same as with the vitamix) since the fiber is removed. However, the difference betweeen a smoothie and the juice is that your body can absorb just the nutrients from the juice. When you have a smoothie, your body chooses the fiber over the nutrients and will digest that first, letting some, or possibly most of the vitamins pass by and not be absorbed. My inlaws purchased the vitamix for us, so I have not followed up my research to see if anything has changed since I researched this a few years ago.

I look forward to reading what others have learned.

Barb

From: ksantic <plusjuiceplus@...> Sent: Sun, November 21, 2010 8:49:57 PMSubject: Juicing

Recently I've been making juice in the vitamix, however I was doing some general research and ran across some discussion concerning the vitamix not being as good as a juicer than a real juicer. I feel that it would be better because you are getting all the fiber along with the juice. Am I missing something?

Ah, the old debate!

I've been juicing and Vita-blending since 1988 and I'm here t'tell ya that the Vitamix is NOT a juicer, period. You can grind in the Vitamix and then strain through something to get juice (which, by definition is liquid, i.e., pulp-free) but it won't give you juice. There are benefits to both whole foods and fresh juices and they're different sides of the same coin and are based on the same thing: fiber. With whole foods, you get the benefit of the fiber (roughage and soluble if the produce in question contains both); our bodies need it to move food through our (long, unlike our carnivorous friends) gut and it's also suggested that it helps to absorb fats. It also helps us to feel full and it often contains nutrients as well (e.g., commercial B Vitamins are often made from rice polishings). Our bodies cannot digest roughage and BTW, enzymes have nothing to do with whether or not something is juiced. They're proteins that catalyze chemical and bio-chemical reactions and are affected by heat, not grinding. They're by no stretch of the imagination "alive."

Fresh juice, on the other hand, is almost immediately absorbed by the body because the body isn't working hard at trying to digest the undigestable. This makes juice especially useful if the body is in a stress situation because more nutrients can be absorbed without feeling full. There are people who refuse to consume juice because the roughage isn't there (the soluble fiber, on the other hand, is if the produce contains it). It's a toss-up and I personally think you can benefit from consuming both. I'd also mention that Max Gerson, the founder of the Gerson Diet for cancer which involves the consumption of enormous amounts of pressed juice, felt initially that there was no reason why fresh, whole produce would produce the same effects as juice and then determined that it wasn't working. That diet also stresses the need for whole produce IN ADDITION TO enormous amounts of fresh, pressed fruit and vegetable juices. Mind you, I make no claims for this diet--I'm just reporting what I've read. And yes, fruit juices will give you more of a sugar rush than a piece of fruit will which is why diabetics experiencing an insulin reaction grab for OJ rather than an orange.

Vitamix "total juice" isn't juice at all--it's diluted puree, which is why real carrot juice and Vitamix "total juice" taste nothing alike (and why it's often disappointing to those who like carrot juice). Personally, I think whatever makes one happy is fine--people get into very heated discussions over this issue and I can't figure out why. There's room for both in a healthful diet. I would recommend, though, that those wanting to juice try to borrow a juicer first to see if it's something they want to do--juicing is work and people lose interest in their appliances. Also, I think the best home juicer (that won't break the bank) for versatility, durability, and quality of juice is a commercial Champion. I bought mine in 1988 and it's still running. If you're serious about making juice, avoid most centrifugal juicers and virtually all of the Korean single- and twin-gear models (especially the latter).

I'm now off to juice 6 lbs. of carrots with some Fuji apples, beets, and ginger for a week's worth of deliciousness. :)

Juicing

Recently I've been making juice in the vitamix, however I was doing some general research and ran across some discussion concerning the vitamix not being as good as a juicer than a real juicer. I feel that it would be better because you are getting all the fiber along with the juice. Am I missing something?

As far as I know, you don't digest fibre. it passes though your intestinal tract.Quote:Dietary fibre is found in cereals, fruits and vegetables. Fibre is made up of the indigestible parts or compounds of plants, which pass relatively unchanged through our stomach and intestines. The main role of fibre is to keep the digestive system healthy.End QuoteI stand to be corrected...cheersMarkOn 23/11/2010, at 2:00 AM, barb gibbs wrote:

I have been juicing for a few years now. I am new to the Vitamix world. When I researched several years ago, it showed that when you juice you get the enzimes and vitamins from the fruit or veggies (the same as with the vitamix) since the fiber is removed. However, the difference betweeen a smoothie and the juice is that your body can absorb just the nutrients from the juice. When you have a smoothie, your body chooses the fiber over the nutrients and will digest that first, letting some, or possibly most of the vitamins pass by and not be absorbed. My inlaws purchased the vitamix for us, so I have not followed up my research to see if anything has changed since I researched this a few years ago.

I look forward to reading what others have learned.

Barb

From: ksantic <plusjuiceplus@...> Sent: Sun, November 21, 2010 8:49:57 PMSubject: Juicing Recently I've been making juice in the vitamix, however I was doing some general research and ran across some discussion concerning the vitamix not being as good as a juicer than a real juicer. I feel that it would be better because you are getting all the fiber along with the juice. Am I missing something?

, I just wanted to say I thought this was an excellent, non partisan reply!

And science based too!

>

> Ah, the old debate!

> I've been juicing and Vita-blending since 1988 and I'm here t'tell ya that the

Vitamix is NOT a juicer, period. You can grind in the Vitamix and then strain

through something to get juice (which, by definition is liquid, i.e., pulp-free)

but it won't give you juice. There are benefits to both whole foods and fresh

juices and they're different sides of the same coin and are based on the same

thing: fiber. With whole foods, you get the benefit of the fiber (roughage and

soluble if the produce in question contains both); our bodies need it to move

food through our (long, unlike our carnivorous friends) gut and it's also

suggested that it helps to absorb fats. It also helps us to feel full and it

often contains nutrients as well (e.g., commercial B Vitamins are often made

from rice polishings). Our bodies cannot digest roughage and BTW, enzymes have

nothing to do with whether or not something is juiced. They're proteins that

catalyze chemical and bio-chemical reactions and are affected by heat, not

grinding. They're by no stretch of the imagination " alive. "

> Fresh juice, on the other hand, is almost immediately absorbed by the body

because the body isn't working hard at trying to digest the undigestable. This

makes juice especially useful if the body is in a stress situation because more

nutrients can be absorbed without feeling full. There are people who refuse to

consume juice because the roughage isn't there (the soluble fiber, on the other

hand, is if the produce contains it). It's a toss-up and I personally think you

can benefit from consuming both. I'd also mention that Max Gerson, the founder

of the Gerson Diet for cancer which involves the consumption of enormous amounts

of pressed juice, felt initially that there was no reason why fresh, whole

produce would produce the same effects as juice and then determined that it

wasn't working. That diet also stresses the need for whole produce IN ADDITION

TO enormous amounts of fresh, pressed fruit and vegetable juices. Mind you, I

make no claims for this diet--I'm just reporting what I've read. And yes, fruit

juices will give you more of a sugar rush than a piece of fruit will which is

why diabetics experiencing an insulin reaction grab for OJ rather than an

orange.

> Vitamix " total juice " isn't juice at all--it's diluted puree, which is why

real carrot juice and Vitamix " total juice " taste nothing alike (and why it's

often disappointing to those who like carrot juice). Personally, I think

whatever makes one happy is fine--people get into very heated discussions over

this issue and I can't figure out why. There's room for both in a healthful

diet. I would recommend, though, that those wanting to juice try to borrow a

juicer first to see if it's something they want to do--juicing is work and

people lose interest in their appliances. Also, I think the best home juicer

(that won't break the bank) for versatility, durability, and quality of juice is

a commercial Champion. I bought mine in 1988 and it's still running. If you're

serious about making juice, avoid most centrifugal juicers and virtually all of

the Korean single- and twin-gear models (especially the latter).

> I'm now off to juice 6 lbs. of carrots with some Fuji apples, beets, and

ginger for a week's worth of deliciousness. :)

>

FWIW, in my opinion, the only difference between juice from a juicer and from a Vitamix is texture.  Both will break down cell walls sufficiently enough to allow for better absorption vs. eating foods whole and relying on mastication alone. Both will contain fiber, albeit the juicer removes a good amount and the Vitamix removes none (unless you use a nut milk bag).  

Beyond that, it's a purely philosophical debate without any real answer : ) The fact that you're drinking juice or puree of any kind puts people leaps and bounds nutritionally vs. those that do not.  I personally prefer keeping all of the fiber with the juice as that is how I believe it was designed to be consumed. 

-----------Buddy A. Touchinsky, D.C.www.drtouchinsky.com

On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 1:23 PM, Bobbie <bc.junk@...> wrote:

, I just wanted to say I thought this was an excellent, non partisan reply! And science based too!

>

> Ah, the old debate!

> I've been juicing and Vita-blending since 1988 and I'm here t'tell ya that the Vitamix is NOT a juicer, period. You can grind in the Vitamix and then strain through something to get juice (which, by definition is liquid, i.e., pulp-free) but it won't give you juice. There are benefits to both whole foods and fresh juices and they're different sides of the same coin and are based on the same thing: fiber. With whole foods, you get the benefit of the fiber (roughage and soluble if the produce in question contains both); our bodies need it to move food through our (long, unlike our carnivorous friends) gut and it's also suggested that it helps to absorb fats. It also helps us to feel full and it often contains nutrients as well (e.g., commercial B Vitamins are often made from rice polishings). Our bodies cannot digest roughage and BTW, enzymes have nothing to do with whether or not something is juiced. They're proteins that catalyze chemical and bio-chemical reactions and are affected by heat, not grinding. They're by no stretch of the imagination " alive. "

> Fresh juice, on the other hand, is almost immediately absorbed by the body because the body isn't working hard at trying to digest the undigestable. This makes juice especially useful if the body is in a stress situation because more nutrients can be absorbed without feeling full. There are people who refuse to consume juice because the roughage isn't there (the soluble fiber, on the other hand, is if the produce contains it). It's a toss-up and I personally think you can benefit from consuming both. I'd also mention that Max Gerson, the founder of the Gerson Diet for cancer which involves the consumption of enormous amounts of pressed juice, felt initially that there was no reason why fresh, whole produce would produce the same effects as juice and then determined that it wasn't working. That diet also stresses the need for whole produce IN ADDITION TO enormous amounts of fresh, pressed fruit and vegetable juices. Mind you, I make no claims for this diet--I'm just reporting what I've read. And yes, fruit juices will give you more of a sugar rush than a piece of fruit will which is why diabetics experiencing an insulin reaction grab for OJ rather than an orange.

> Vitamix " total juice " isn't juice at all--it's diluted puree, which is why real carrot juice and Vitamix " total juice " taste nothing alike (and why it's often disappointing to those who like carrot juice). Personally, I think whatever makes one happy is fine--people get into very heated discussions over this issue and I can't figure out why. There's room for both in a healthful diet. I would recommend, though, that those wanting to juice try to borrow a juicer first to see if it's something they want to do--juicing is work and people lose interest in their appliances. Also, I think the best home juicer (that won't break the bank) for versatility, durability, and quality of juice is a commercial Champion. I bought mine in 1988 and it's still running. If you're serious about making juice, avoid most centrifugal juicers and virtually all of the Korean single- and twin-gear models (especially the latter).

> I'm now off to juice 6 lbs. of carrots with some Fuji apples, beets, and ginger for a week's worth of deliciousness. :)

>

I'm with on this one. I prefer juice to be clear and free of the fiber-I get plenty of fiber in other ways. I think what many recommendations overlook, is that anyone who is juicing anyway, likely cares about their health, and is getting adequate fiber from other sources. There is such a thing as too MUCH fiber, which can be just as bad as too little. I agree that any way of getting it is better than not getting it all, but it should come down to preference. I also agree with about the Champion juicer being the best choice as a home juicer for simple juicing. I use the VM when I feel the need for added fiber, or just when I feel lazy, since it is easier to "juice" in the Vitamix.

, I just wanted to say I thought this was an excellent, non partisan reply! And science based too!

>

> Ah, the old debate!

> I've been juicing and Vita-blending since 1988 and I'm here t'tell ya that the Vitamix is NOT a juicer, period. You can grind in the Vitamix and then strain through something to get juice (which, by definition is liquid, i.e., pulp-free) but it won't give you juice. There are benefits to both whole foods and fresh juices and they're different sides of the same coin and are based on the same thing: fiber. With whole foods, you get the benefit of the fiber (roughage and soluble if the produce in question contains both); our bodies need it to move food through our (long, unlike our carnivorous friends) gut and it's also suggested that it helps to absorb fats. It also helps us to feel full and it often contains nutrients as well (e.g., commercial B Vitamins are often made from rice polishings). Our bodies cannot digest roughage and BTW, enzymes have nothing to do with whether or not something is juiced. They're proteins that catalyze chemical and

bio-chemical reactions and are affected by heat, not grinding. They're by no stretch of the imagination "alive."

> Fresh juice, on the other hand, is almost immediately absorbed by the body because the body isn't working hard at trying to digest the undigestable. This makes juice especially useful if the body is in a stress situation because more nutrients can be absorbed without feeling full. There are people who refuse to consume juice because the roughage isn't there (the soluble fiber, on the other hand, is if the produce contains it). It's a toss-up and I personally think you can benefit from consuming both. I'd also mention that Max Gerson, the founder of the Gerson Diet for cancer which involves the consumption of enormous amounts of pressed juice, felt initially that there was no reason why fresh, whole produce would produce the same effects as juice and then determined that it wasn't working. That diet also stresses the need for whole produce IN ADDITION TO enormous amounts of fresh, pressed fruit and vegetable juices. Mind you, I make no claims for

this diet--I'm just reporting what I've read. And yes, fruit juices will give you more of a sugar rush than a piece of fruit will which is why diabetics experiencing an insulin reaction grab for OJ rather than an orange.

> Vitamix "total juice" isn't juice at all--it's diluted puree, which is why real carrot juice and Vitamix "total juice" taste nothing alike (and why it's often disappointing to those who like carrot juice). Personally, I think whatever makes one happy is fine--people get into very heated discussions over this issue and I can't figure out why. There's room for both in a healthful diet. I would recommend, though, that those wanting to juice try to borrow a juicer first to see if it's something they want to do--juicing is work and people lose interest in their appliances. Also, I think the best home juicer (that won't break the bank) for versatility, durability, and quality of juice is a commercial Champion. I bought mine in 1988 and it's still running. If you're serious about making juice, avoid most centrifugal juicers and virtually all of the Korean single- and twin-gear models (especially the latter).

> I'm now off to juice 6 lbs. of carrots with some Fuji apples, beets, and ginger for a week's worth of deliciousness. :)

>

By "fiber," do you mean roughage? Because from my experience, the purpose of juicing is to remove the fiber ("juice," by definition, is the liquid component of something, e.g. produce, meat, etc.); if your juicer doesn't do a good enough job, you can further strain it. And what the Vitamix produces isn't juice--it's diluted puree. No matter how much you decimate roughage, it's still not digestable--it's not meant to be, which is why it's beneficial. And of course, texture aside, Vitamix "total juice" tastes nothing like juice (see one of Lea Ann's earlier replies to a carrot juice lover who was unpleasantly surprised after sampling the Vitamix equivalent. That's not to say that one is better than the other (we all have our preferences), just that they're not the same, don't taste the same, and aren't handled the same by our bodies.

BTW, , do you owe me some money or some such? ;)

Re: Re: Juicing

FWIW, in my opinion, the only difference between juice from a juicer and from a Vitamix is texture. Both will break down cell walls sufficiently enough to allow for better absorption vs. eating foods whole and relying on mastication alone. Both will contain fiber, albeit the juicer removes a good amount and the Vitamix removes none (unless you use a nut milk bag).

Beyond that, it's a purely philosophical debate without any real answer : )

The fact that you're drinking juice or puree of any kind puts people leaps and bounds nutritionally vs. those that do not. I personally prefer keeping all of the fiber with the juice as that is how I believe it was designed to be consumed.

Oh, thanks--nice of you to say so! I did three years of pre-med (pre-vet, actually) and had completed my science requirements before I made the mistake of taking a course in symbolic logic and started thinking that proofs were more important than eating and sleeping. :o

Re: Juicing

>

> Ah, the old debate!

> I've been juicing and Vita-blending since 1988 and I'm here t'tell ya that the Vitamix is NOT a juicer, period. You can grind in the Vitamix and then strain through something to get juice (which, by definition is liquid, i.e., pulp-free) but it won't give you juice. There are benefits to both whole foods and fresh juices and they're different sides of the same coin and are based on the same thing: fiber. With whole foods, you get the benefit of the fiber (roughage and soluble if the produce in question contains both); our bodies need it to move food through our (long, unlike our carnivorous friends) gut and it's also suggested that it helps to absorb fats. It also helps us to feel full and it often contains nutrients as well (e.g., commercial B Vitamins are often made from rice polishings). Our bodies cannot digest roughage and BTW, enzymes have nothing to do with whether or not something is juiced. They're proteins that catalyze chemical and bio-chemical reactions and a re affected by heat, not grinding. They're by no stretch of the imagination "alive."

> Fresh juice, on the other hand, is almost immediately absorbed by the body because the body isn't working hard at trying to digest the undigestable. This makes juice especially useful if the body is in a stress situation because more nutrients can be absorbed without feeling full. There are people who refuse to consume juice because the roughage isn't there (the soluble fiber, on the other hand, is if the produce contains it). It's a toss-up and I personally think you can benefit from consuming both. I'd also mention that Max Gerson, the founder of the Gerson Diet for cancer which involves the consumption of enormous amounts of pressed juice, felt initially that there was no reason why fresh, whole produce would produce the same effects as juice and then determined that it wasn't working. That diet also stresses the need for whole produce IN ADDITION TO enormous amounts of fresh, pressed fruit and vegetable juices. Mind you, I make no claims for this diet--I'm just repor ting what I've read. And yes, fruit juices will give you more of a sugar rush than a piece of fruit will which is why diabetics experiencing an insulin reaction grab for OJ rather than an orange.

> Vitamix "total juice" isn't juice at all--it's diluted puree, which is why real carrot juice and Vitamix "total juice" taste nothing alike (and why it's often disappointing to those who like carrot juice). Personally, I think whatever makes one happy is fine--people get into very heated discussions over this issue and I can't figure out why. There's room for both in a healthful diet. I would recommend, though, that those wanting to juice try to borrow a juicer first to see if it's something they want to do--juicing is work and people lose interest in their appliances. Also, I think the best home juicer (that won't break the bank) for versatility, durability, and quality of juice is a commercial Champion. I bought mine in 1988 and it's still running. If you're serious about making juice, avoid most centrifugal juicers and virtually all of the Korean single- and twin-gear models (especially the latter).

No need--you're on the money. :)

Juicing

The check is in the mail, dear :)From: <kareningotham@...>Subject: Re: Re: Juicing Date: Tuesday, November 23, 2010, 1:46 PM

By "fiber," do you mean roughage? Because from my experience, the purpose of juicing is to remove the fiber ("juice," by definition, is the liquid component of something, e.g. produce, meat, etc.); if your juicer doesn't do a good enough job, you can further strain it. And what the Vitamix produces isn't juice--it's diluted puree. No matter how much you decimate roughage, it's still not digestable--it's not meant to be, which is why it's beneficial. And of course, texture aside, Vitamix "total juice" tastes nothing like juice (see one of Lea Ann's earlier replies to a carrot juice lover who was unpleasantly surprised after sampling the Vitamix equivalent. That's not to say that one is better than the other (we all have our preferences), just that they're not the same, don't taste the same, and aren't handled the same by our bodies.

FWIW, in my opinion, the only difference between juice from a juicer and from a Vitamix is texture. Both will break down cell walls sufficiently enough to allow for better absorption vs. eating foods whole and relying on mastication alone. Both will contain fiber, albeit the juicer removes a good amount and the Vitamix removes none (unless you use a nut milk bag).

The fact that you're drinking juice or puree of any kind puts people leaps and bounds nutritionally vs. those that do not. I personally prefer keeping all of the fiber with the juice as that is how I believe it was designed to be consumed.

I guess what I'm saying is that with something like the Vitamix, you're getting juice and fiber.  The fiber present is not going to prevent you from absorbing the nutrients.  In theory I guess you can say it may reduce absorption somewhat, but I'm not so sure its significant.  Also as mentioned, even the best juicer will produce juice that has fiber in it.  It doesn't get rid of it all. 

But yeah, I understand what you're saying.  I just don't think there's that much of a practical difference. -----------Buddy A. Touchinsky, D.C.www.drtouchinsky.com

On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 1:46 PM, <kareningotham@...> wrote:

By " fiber, " do you mean roughage? Because from my experience, the purpose of juicing is to remove the fiber ( " juice, " by definition, is the liquid component of something, e.g. produce, meat, etc.); if your juicer doesn't do a good enough job, you can further strain it. And what the Vitamix produces isn't juice--it's diluted puree. No matter how much you decimate roughage, it's still not digestable--it's not meant to be, which is why it's beneficial. And of course, texture aside, Vitamix " total juice " tastes nothing like juice (see one of Lea Ann's earlier replies to a carrot juice lover who was unpleasantly surprised after sampling  the Vitamix equivalent. That's not to say that one is better than the other (we all have our preferences), just that they're not the same, don't taste the same, and aren't handled the same by our bodies.

FWIW, in my opinion, the only difference between juice from a juicer and from a Vitamix is texture.  Both will break down cell walls sufficiently enough to allow for better absorption vs. eating foods whole and relying on mastication alone. Both will contain fiber, albeit the juicer removes a good amount and the Vitamix removes none (unless you use a nut milk bag).  

The fact that you're drinking juice or puree of any kind puts people leaps and bounds nutritionally vs. those that do not.  I personally prefer keeping all of the fiber with the juice as that is how I believe it was designed to be consumed. 

The difference is quantity.

It takes 3 pounds (as I recall) of carrots to get a glass of juice.

But you get all the nutrients.

You'd be overstuffed if you ate 3 pounds of vitamixed carrots.

So, for nutrient density, juicing would win.

Depends on what you need.

Imagine the amount of veggies it takes to make a jug of V-8...

Chuck

I wear my heart on my sleeve. I wear my liver on my pant leg. --

On 11/23/2010 7:21:23 PM, Buddy A. Touchinsky, D.C.

(dr.touchinsky@...) wrote:

> I guess what I'm saying is that with something like the Vitamix, you're

> getting juice and fiber.  The fiber present is not going to prevent you

> from absorbing the nutrients.  In theory I guess you can say it may reduce

> absorption somewhat, but

> I'm not so sure its significant.  Also as mentioned, even the best juicer will

produce juice that has fiber in it.  It doesn't

> get rid of it all. 

>

> But yeah, I understand what you're saying.  I just don't think

> there's that much of a practical difference. 

> -----------

> Buddy A

Consider the insulin response needed to balance the sugar of 3 lbs of carrots.   -----------Buddy A. Touchinsky, D.C.www.drtouchinsky.com

On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 7:47 PM, <cking001@...> wrote:

Chuck

> getting juice and fiber.  The fiber present is not going to prevent you

> from absorbing the nutrients.  In theory I guess you can say it may reduce

> I'm not so sure its significant.  Also as mentioned, even the best juicer will produce juice that has fiber in it.  It doesn't

> get rid of it all. 

>

> But yeah, I understand what you're saying.  I just don't think

> -----------

> Buddy A

Technically we don't digest it, but it does get broken down somewhat by our gut flora, which amongst other things, produces short chain fatty acids.-----------Buddy A. Touchinsky, D.C.www.drtouchinsky.com

On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 1:55 PM, <kareningotham@...> wrote:

No need--you're on the money. :)

Juicing

Indeed!

Juicing requires intelligence and research.

In fact any monodiet has potential dangers.

Chuck

If you write the word " monkey " a million times, do you start to think

you're Shakespeare? --

On 11/23/2010 9:24:55 PM, Buddy A. Touchinsky, D.C.

> Consider the insulin response needed to balance the sugar of 3 lbs of

> carrots.   

> -----------

> Buddy A. Touchinsky, D.C.

> www.drtouchinsky.com

>

>

> On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 7:47 PM, <cking001@... [link:

> mailto:cking001@...]> wrote:

>  

> The difference is quantity.

> It takes 3 pounds (as I recall) of carrots to get a glass of juice.

> But you get all the nutrients.

> You'd be overstuffed if you ate 3 pounds of vitamixed carrots.

>

> So, for nutrient density, juicing would win.

> Depends on what you need.

>

> Imagine the amount of veggies it takes to make a jug of V-8...

>

> Chuck

> I wear my heart on my sleeve. I wear my liver on my pant leg. --

>

>

> On 11/23/2010 7:21:23 PM, Buddy A. Touchinsky, D.C.

> (dr.touchinsky@... [link: mailto:dr.touchinsky@...]) wrote:

> > I guess what I'm

> saying is that with something like the Vitamix,

> you're

> > getting juice and fiber.  The fiber present is not going to prevent you

> > from absorbing the nutrients.  In theory I guess you can say it may reduce

> > absorption somewhat, but

> > I'm

> not so sure its significant.  Also as mentioned, even

The best thing about Vitamix "Juice" (which isn't a real juice, but that's what we call it) is that fiber slows the release of sugar into the bloodstream. This is why Vitamix "Juice" helps people feel full longer (from the bulk of the fiber and from a more sustained release - rather than a dump - of sugar into the bloodstream) and why it offers more sustained energy (dump of sugar vs. slow release).

If a diabetic drinks real juice, their blood sugar levels go way up. If they eat the whole fruit their blood sugar goes up, but not as much. But if a diabetic takes the same fruit and blends it in the Vitamix, the blood sugar rises even less than when eating the whole fruit by mouth. The blending of the fiber helps to mix it thoroughly with the juice (even better than chewing does) and slows the release of sugar into the bloodstream. Considering the fact that sugars are nutrients and we know that fiber slows the release of sugar into the bloodstream, it makes sense that fiber slows the release (but doesn't prevent the release) of other nutrients.

Nutrients trapped in "unpopped" cell walls do not get absorbed. Our bodies do not produce cellulase which is the enzyme that digests cellulose so some of the cells that haven't been "popped" (either by chewing or via the Vitamix or by a juicer) pass through our bodies like tiny little balloons taking the precious nutrients out with them :-(

Vitamixing pops those cell walls (releasing the nutrients) and leaves lots of broken open cell walls floating around in the released juice - slowing but not preventing the absorption of the nutrients that came from the inside of the cells Vitamixing breaks open 98% of the cell walls!

Chewing only pops 25% of the cell walls leaving 75% of them as full, unpopped cellulose covered balloons many of which will leave our body taking the nutrients out with them. This I think is what juicing advocates don't understand about Vitamixing. They are comparing chewing to juicing. Let's say juicing pops 98% of the cell walls and Vitamixing pops 98% and chewing pops 25%. You get the same or better nutritional value out of the Vitamix Juice (the nutrients aren't blocked from being absorbed because the cells have been popped) the nutrients are just absorbed more slowly because of the inhibiting presence of the fiber. Chewing on the other hand leaves a LOT of unpopped cells and therefore there is some loss of nutrients due to the unpopped cell walls (aka fiber). SO, only fiber that is in the form of unpopped cell walls (which happens with chewing) prevents absorption of nutrients. Fiber in the form of broken open cell walls slows, but does not prevent the absorption of nutrients and even contributes nutrients (see next paragraph)

Most fruit and vegetable fiber is soluble fiber. SOME soluble fiber IS fermented in the colon by the bacteria that lives there and the short chain fatty acids produced by this digestion process helps with glucose and cholesterol control. Therefore you get this extra nutritional value from the Vitamix because of the nutrients (short chain fatty acids) that are created when the fiber is digested (fermented) in the colon.

Juicing GREENS avoids the "sugar dump" issue and is a way to increase the amount of nutrients you get from the greens over what you could consume if the fiber was still there, but most people end up sweetening the greens with carrots or apples or beets and then you are right back into the sugar dump situation.

For most healthy people, if fruit juice sugars were the only sugars consumed, this would probably not be much of an issue, but there are SO MANY people who are either diabetic or pre-diabetic or fighting cancer (unawares) or who are trying to lose weight and for them, sugar dumps are not the ideal thing. But I can assure you that a huge glass of sugar dumping carrot juice is 10,000 times better than a doughnut or a Sniker's bar!

There is no way to get the taste/texture of REAL juice in a Vitamix puree. Vitamix juice is more like a smoothie. You can get REAL juice from a Vitamix if you want to take the additional step of straining the puree through a nut milk bag to remove the fiber. I call what I make a "juice" but it isn't a juice in the purest sense of the word. We call it "whole food juice" but the people call it a smoothie :-)

And last but not least, just in case you need a reminder of the importance of fiber in our diets, here is a good discussion of the health benefits of a high fiber diet: http://www.busywomensfitness.com/high-fiber-diet.html I was especially impressed with the statistic that dietary fiber intake for adults should be in the range of 20-35 grams (g) per day. The average American consumes only 14 g of fiber per day!

Blessings,Lea Ann SavageSatellite Beach, FL(321) 773-7088 (home)(321-961-9219 (cell)))><'>www.VitamixLady.comwww..com<:)))><

Consider the insulin response needed to balance the sugar of 3 lbs of carrots.

-----------Buddy A. Touchinsky, D.C.www.drtouchinsky.com

The difference is quantity.It takes 3 pounds (as I recall) of carrots to get a glass of juice.But you get all the nutrients.You'd be overstuffed if you ate 3 pounds of vitamixed carrots.So, for nutrient density, juicing would win.Depends on what you need.Imagine the amount of veggies it takes to make a jug of V-8...ChuckI wear my heart on my sleeve. I wear my liver on my pant leg. -- On 11/23/2010 7:21:23 PM, Buddy A. Touchinsky, D.C.

(dr.touchinsky@...) wrote:> I guess what I'm saying is that with something like the Vitamix, you're> getting juice and fiber. The fiber present is not going to prevent you> from absorbing the nutrients. In theory I guess you can say it may reduce> absorption somewhat, but> I'm not so sure its significant. Also as mentioned, even the best juicer will produce juice that has fiber in it. It doesn't> get rid of it all. > > But yeah, I understand what you're saying. I just don't think> there's that much of a practical difference. > -----------> Buddy A

:)))

Perhaps I'll use my winnings to splurge on some leopard panties.

You should opt for pink ones-would suit your delicate style. Leave the wild stuff to me.

Subject: Re: Re: Juicing

Date: Tuesday, November 23, 2010, 1:46 PM

I own the best juicer and my juice contains no roughage whatsoever; the pulp is pressed through cloth with a very tight weave (much tighter, in fact, than that of a nutmilk bag). For that matter, my Champion gave me pulp-free juice as well and believe me, if it had been there I'd have noticed because I HATE pulp in juice and won't drink juice that contains even a trace of it. I've read a number of accounts stating that twin-gear juicers produce gritty juice which surprises me not a whit--I'd never own one. Smoothies, on the other hand, are something else. That's one of the reasons why I love my Vita-Mix--I want whatever's meant to be smooth to be completely "chunk-free." :)

The yield depends a lot on your juicer (in addition to the quality of the produce, of course). I get 1/2 gallon plus from about 5lbs. of peeled, trimmed carrots, two Fuji apples, and a small beet (with a knob of fresh ginger). If I only got a glass of juice from 3 lbs. of carrots, which should be trimmed and peeled, I wouldn't bother--too much work. In fact, I don't juice greens as much as I'd like because preparing the greens is a pain in a small apartment, plus the juice is quite perishable and I can't make a week's worth in advance. Sometimes I can't resist, though.

Chuck

> getting juice and fiber. The fiber present is not going to prevent you

> from absorbing the nutrients. In theory I guess you can say it may reduce

> I'm not so sure its significant. Also as mentioned, even the best juicer will produce juice that has fiber in it. It doesn't

> get rid of it all.

>

> But yeah, I understand what you're saying. I just don't think

> -----------

> Buddy A

One need not consume it on an empty stomach. I'd ask you to consider the need for nutrients of someone whose body is in crisis. I'd also point out that despite my own disbelief that Norman lived to 113 years of age or some such, it's established that he lived into his 90's on a diet that included a LOT of carrot juice and he wasn't a diabetic, either. I also drink a lot of juice and, despite being the product of a family who has to "watch it" for Type 2 diabetes, my blood sugar at 56 is normal and much of my juice consumption is fruit-based, including lots of grape.

Consider the insulin response needed to balance the sugar of 3 lbs of carrots.

-----------

Buddy A. Touchinsky, D.C.

www.drtouchinsky.com

Chuck

> I'm not so sure its significant. Also as mentioned, even the best juicer will produce juice that has fiber in it. It doesn't

> get rid of it all.

>

> -----------

> Buddy A

I have been known to juice some greens, then freeze the juice straight away in an ice cube tray. That way, if I want the boost of greens (which I have to limit severely due to kidney issues) I can toss a couple of cubes in my other juice and still get the greens without having to fuss all over again if I have made a weeks worth of another kind.

> get rid of it all.

>

> -----------

> Buddy A

NO ROOM IN MY FREEZER!! :(((

I have been known to juice some greens, then freeze the juice straight away in an ice cube tray. That way, if I want the boost of greens (which I have to limit severely due to kidney issues) I can toss a couple of cubes in my other juice and still get the greens without having to fuss all over again if I have made a weeks worth of another kind.

> get rid of it all.

>

> -----------

> Buddy A

Invest in a crowbar-there is ALWAYS room!

> get rid of it all.

>

> -----------

> Buddy A