RemedySpot.com

Re: New Kid with Achalasia from Malaysia

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I don't think there is any way to prevent Ach how ever I am beginning to find ways to help myself And not be afraid of what might be Like what happens if I go to some ones house for dinner??? Or what happens if I go out with the girls for lunch I DO go out to dinner with Just hubby And eat what I can and how much I have gone out with the girls and just have soup Or just ice tea Cold things are easier to swallow

New Kid with Achalasia from Malaysia

Dear folks of this support groupI have recently been confirmed to be suffering from Achalasia after carrying out two set of endoscopes and manometries(where the pressures along my oesophagus is measured)as well as a barium swallow. I am now scheduled to do my ballooning on the 15th Jan 03.I have the usual symptoms of achalasia where I food does not empty into my stomach and spasms occurs. At bed time, when the food or drink is not emptied fully I will get choked middle of my sleep or liquid will flow out from one of my nostrils.I was initially diagnosed as having GORD/GERD (UK/US spelling)some three years ago. I must admit I was rather disappointed with my first diagnosis by the doctor who did the colonscopy and endoscopy and just prescriped me with a mild drug to treat it as GORD. This just did not improve and instead worsen. It is only when I consulted my first Gastroentrologist middle of this year that I was slowly but surely giving the right advise and tests (+ treatments - although not really successful).I have no problem going for my ballooning but the fact that it will probably be one of many balloonings that I will have to do is just not comforting.I want to know if there are currently any serious research on the causes and treatments for achalasia. Is there any advise people like us can advise others to prevent the onset of achalasia?A belated Blessed Christmas from Malaysia on boxing day. [i had a pretty good Christmas, tucking in the festive goodies......slowly and no spasm (to my suprise!).]Wing (hokin@...)

Dear Wing, It sounds like you are at about the same stage of achalasia as I am. I am also new to the group. I have had symptoms for 2 years and am just preparing for my first treatment in January. I was diagnosed about a year and a half ago. I had another endoscopy done last month and the doctor said my esophagus was becoming too dilated and recommended a lap myotomy. I don't know if he would have recommended a ballooning or botox if the esophagus wasn't as dilated as it is. Anyway, he said the myotomy was a better, more permanent fix. I don't know enough about this to know how doctors make their judgment calls.

The three doctors I have talked to - my regular doc, the gastroenterologist, and the surgeon, all say there is no known cause. I was really overweight when it started (I'm not now) but I was told that skinny people get it too. It would be interesting to know of any studies.

Have your night time symptoms decreased over time? Mine have. I wonder if it is because the esophagus is getting weak and lazy.

Good luck with your ballooning and many blessings in the New Year. - Kathy

Dear folks of this support groupI have recently been confirmed to be suffering from Achalasia after carrying out two set of endoscopes and manometries(where the pressures along my oesophagus is measured)as well as a barium swallow. I am now scheduled to do my ballooning on the 15th Jan 03.I have the usual symptoms of achalasia where I food does not empty into my stomach and spasms occurs. At bed time, when the food or drink is not emptied fully I will get choked middle of my sleep or liquid will flow out from one of my nostrils.I was initially diagnosed as having GORD/GERD (UK/US spelling)some three years ago. I must admit I was rather disappointed with my first diagnosis by the doctor who did the colonscopy and endoscopy and just prescriped me with a mild drug to treat it as GORD. This just did not improve and instead worsen. It is only when I consulted my first Gastroentrologist middle of this year that I was slowly but surely giving the right advise and tests (+ treatments - although not really successful).I have no problem going for my ballooning but the fact that it will probably be one of many balloonings that I will have to do is just not comforting.I want to know if there are currently any serious research on the causes and treatments for achalasia. Is there any advise people like us can advise others to prevent the onset of achalasia?A belated Blessed Christmas from Malaysia on boxing day. [i had a pretty good Christmas, tucking in the festive goodies......slowly and no spasm (to my suprise!).]Wing (hokin@...)

Dear Kathy

I am a 36 male of pretty small built (and skinny) of only 50kg/110lbs. I do not think that size/weight is a cause of A.

I am interested to know if any form of exercise (swimming, jogging, racquet sports [tennis, squash etc.]) helps. Any active sporty persons out there who suffers from A?

Wishing everyone a more bountiful and rewarding (in terms of keep food in!) this coming New Year.

Wing

At 09:01 AM 12/31/2002 +0800, Wing Ho wrote:

>...I am interested to know if any form of exercise (swimming, jogging,

>racquet sports [tennis, squash etc.]) helps. Any active sporty persons out

>there who suffers from A?...

I used to do a lot of hiking on long difficult trails, with lots of steep

up and down hill sections. I found that A was not as bad when I kept that

up. It did not seem to be the kind of thing where one hike made much

difference, but as part of a routine it seemed to help. Others have not

seen any help from things like that, so it may or may not work for you.

notan

Hi Wing!

I, too, am very thin. I am 5'3 " and around 85 pounds. This is

definitely not by choice. I have always been thin and lived a

healthy lifestyle. This definitely has not helped my cause since

recently being diagnosed with Achalasia. I lose more and more weight

each day I wait for successful treatment. Hopefully that will be in

the near future. I have always been very passionate about running.

Unfortunately I have not been able to take part in this passion in

close to 6 months now. This is due to lack of energy and proper

nutrition. I can't afford to lose another pound. Once I am feeling

a little more energized I will get back into my training as I find

running will at least take my mind of things for a while. There's

just something about that adrenaline rush, especially in

competition. I think if your body can handle it, any form of

excercise is sure to benefit in some way. Just make sure your body

is up to it. You don't want to worsen your present condition. Take

care.

(Ottawa, Canada)

> Dear Kathy

> I am a 36 male of pretty small built (and skinny) of only

50kg/110lbs. I do not think that size/weight is a cause of A.

>

> I am interested to know if any form of exercise (swimming, jogging,

racquet sports [tennis, squash etc.]) helps. Any active sporty

persons out there who suffers from A?

>

> Wishing everyone a more bountiful and rewarding (in terms of keep

food in!) this coming New Year.

>

> Wing