> Lots of mucous comes up at times that looks like something out

> of

> exorcist movie. I can't stop it from coming up and I can tell

> when

> it's going to happen...I start having a cough bout that I can

> stop.

> I'm honestly if this is part of my achalasia. Seems I get

> different

> symptoms every time it starts to get bad again.

>

> Jan

I have the same problem but i've figured out how to solve it to large extent.I used a calcium blocker like Nifedepine and that opens the foodpipe wide enough so stuff doesnt get stuck.Then i've realised that i snacking is not an option so eat well three times a day and have lots and lots of water to wash it down while the Nifedepine is still working. Try and eat your dinner early to avoid the same problem while you sleep. Also, try and sleep in a slightly elvated position.jcollineal <jneal@...> wrote: It's been a few years since I

was told I had this disease..Didn't believe it because I've been overweight all my life. Even now when I tell people that I have it..they look at me funny. I've been lucky that my esophagus has been stretched twice and both times it has work great..but I have noticed some symptoms that are starting to come back...mostly with liquids, breads...but that's how it started before, with other items causing problems. Before the stretching it got to the point that I was belching all the time..after each sip of liquid and some coughing. But I now have this heavy coughing all the time. Lots of mucous comes up at times that looks like something out of exorcist movie. I can't stop it from coming up and I can tell when it's going to happen...I start having a cough bout that I can stop. I'm honestly if this is part of my achalasia. Seems I get different symptoms every time it starts to get bad again. Jan

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now.

Almost forgot to add to my last post. It's a good idea to try and train your mind to learn how to swallow again. There are a few positions i wiggle around to make sure the food has gone down. <1x2y3z@...> wrote: Jan, That thick white stuff that resembles mucus is actually thickened saliva, I was told. It sits around in the esophagus, floating on the top while heavier food may go down past it. (Sorry everyone.) Coughing can indeed be a symptom of achalasia. To reduce coughing and

possible aspiration at night (breathing stuff into your lungs), it's important to raise the head of your bed on bricks or books or something. Has any doctor recommended surgery? I don't know your age but research has shown that dilations are most effective in people over the age of 50, and often need to be repeated. An annual barium swallow helps to keep track of the shape of your esophagus. Heavy Coughing... > It's been a few years since I was told I had this > disease..Didn't > believe it because I've been overweight all my life. Even now > when I > tell people that I have it..they

look at me funny. I've been > lucky > that my esophagus has been stretched twice and both times it > has work > great..but I have noticed some symptoms that are starting to > come > back...mostly with liquids, breads...but that's how it started > before, > with other items causing problems. Before the stretching it > got to > the point that I was belching all the time..after each sip of > liquid > and some coughing. But I now have this heavy coughing all > the time. > Lots of mucous comes up at times that looks like something out > of > exorcist movie. I can't stop it from coming up and I can tell > when > it's going to happen...I start having a cough bout that I can > stop. > I'm honestly if this is part of my achalasia. Seems I get > different > symptoms every time it starts to get bad again.

> > Jan

Never miss a thing. Make your homepage.

I do sleep elevated....just about sitting up. Have been awakened from

being strangled. It has scared me so bad that I have been semi-sitting

up to sleep for the past two years. My husband doesn't see how I can

sleep that way...but you do what you have to do. Surgery has been

suggested...but my weight becomes an issue. Like I said people look at

me as if I'm lying when I tell them I have this disease. I just want

the coughing to stop...I can handle the rest fine. As long as there is

water..I'm ok. Jan