RemedySpot.com

Re: Re: 'Ectomy Scheduled for February 7

Rate this topic

Guest guest

HI ,

My name is Deb and I live in Melbourne Australia. I had an Ivor oesophagectomy on the 29th July last year and am doing really well. Post operatively the whole thing was not as bad as I thought it would be. I was in the Intensive Care Unit for four days then shifted to a ward for another two weeks before being allowed home. I then had hospital in the home looking after me for another four days while I finished a course of anti fungal medication for a Candida Glubrata infection I came down with on day 4 post operatively.

Anyhow, my time in the ICU was boring more than anything else. (Take an IPod or Walkman or some sort of radio you can listen to – it will help pass the time.) I had tubes coming out of me all over the place - 6 taking things out (catheter for urine, two drainage tubes in stomach, two chest drainage tubes, and the naso-gastric tube) and 4 putting stuff in ( an epidural mid thoracic (in my back) for pain relief, a central line into my neck from the anaesthetic, the IV in my arm for medication and pain relief and a J tube for feeding). As you can imagine these made things like moving and getting in and out of bed a major production as everything had to be supported before I could move. But I had been sleeping on my back for the past 10 years anyhow, so I didn’t need to turn over unless I was having one

of the most luxuriant of hospital baths I have ever had. In ICU they had a special solution they placed the towels into - it was like liquid silk – and the nurses just laid the towels on me and then took them off and let the skin dry. Believe me it was wonderful.

I didn’t find the naso-gastric tube too much of a bother (I think because I had had the feeling of something stuck in my throat for so long I was used to it), and the other tubes I was used to from a previous operation I had in 1995 for a ruptured oesophagus. The catheter meant I didn’t have to worry about going to the loo, the epidural meant I was numb form the collarbones to the bottom of my ribs – so no pain there. I was really tired all the time and found it hard to concentrate for any period of time but after five days I was doing easy Sudoku puzzles when I sat out of bed. On Day 11, I had a CT scan to check on the healing of the joins in my new foodpipe – and all was good , so the naso gastric tube came out and I was allowed to start eating soft

foods. I had half a cup of ice cream and it took me half an hour to eat it!!! I was also allowed to drink water and juice. I soon progressed onto eggs, pasta, vegies and meat believe it or not, and when I went home from hospital I was eating tiny amounts of anything I wanted to.

When I got home I was very tired most of the time, but started going out for walks the day I came home – walked around our court the first couple of days, then gradually walked one street light further every day until I was walking about 1 km a day. The more I walked the stronger I got. I fell into a routine of eating 5 small meals a day (try to eat as much protein as you can in the early days as this is what will aid your recovery and healing process), having a morning and afternoon walk, and an afternoon sleep each day. That lasted for about 6 weeks or so.

Pain wise, the epidural came out on Day 4, then I was treated using paracetamol (IV while I was in hospital then 2 every 6 hours once I came home) and a stronger painkiller called Tramel (IV while in hospital only). It was mainly the thoracotamy incision on my back that gave me the most trouble – it would ache from time to time (still does a little bit). After two months I was allowed to drive the car again and started swimming to increase my stamina (which I have totally lost) and aid in my breathing. The thoracotamy really affects your breathing and lung capacity, so swimming helped bring those back up to something like normal.

I am now able to eat almost anything, I still have a bit of dumping from time to time – early on hot drinks gave me trouble, and now I cannot have a hot drink with a meal as I feel sick afterwards. I am amazed that I can pick up a glass of water and just drink it rather than having sips and waiting for them to go down before having another sip. I can’t drink much wine or alcohol as I get very drunk very quickly – but my surgeon has told me to try low alcohol wine (Moscato) and that worked better yesterday when we went to a friend’s place for a New Year BBQ.

So, I’m like a new woman. My life is so much better than what it was – it is so nice to have a social life again and have BBQ’s and Dinner Parties again. And I feel and look so well. I still tend to get tired and need a rest every two or three days to catch up but I am gradually getting back to a normal life. I have to take Nexium (40mg) each evening before my evening meal to offset the acid build-up in the system, but other than that I am not on any painkillers and haven’t been since about week 3 post operatively.

So, if you have any worries about this very daunting operation feel free to email me and I’ll attempt to answer your questions. I know my case is somewhat different as I am in Australia under a totally different health system but a lot of what you will go through will be the same. Good luck in your meetings with the doctor – I hope he is understanding and a gifted surgeon.

Speak to you soon,

Deb

Re: 'Ectomy Scheduled for February 7

Thank you so much, Tonia. You are too kind. I am trying to getlogistics taken care of now. As I said, I only have one son and itlooks like he, my daughter-in- law, and grandson will be with me beforethe surgery and three days afterward. I hope I am out of the ICU bythe time they have to leave. My son will come back on the 14th. Theywill be staying at the Suites Hotel. in NY, I am looking forward to hearing from you since you havebeen all through this. In VA> >> > Hello,> > > > Dr. Rice's scheduler called me today and my 'ectomy

is scheduled for> > February 7 with pre-op testing on February 5. I have had surgery many> > times, but this is the most major surgery I've ever had and I'm a> > little nervous. Can those of you who have had this tell me what it> > will be like. I know a lot of pain is in store, but hopefully they> > will be able to monitor that with meds. I am also a very 'hard stick'> > when it comes to needles; my veins like to hid and roll. Will they > put> > in a Central Line and will that be after I am asleep. I have so many> > questions I don't know really where to begin.> > > > In VA> >>

Make the switch to the world's best email. Get the new 7 Mail now.

Sandy - God luck with your surgery in February. Anyone would have some unease and you are not old at 52. I am 61 going on 62 and might reach this stage as I am just beginning and most on this sight seem to have been dealing with this stuff a lot longer. So go ahead and have some unease but you know your doctor and you know yourself, that is two pluses and the tubes are just small negatives. Millie - VAsandragphipps <sandraphipps@...> wrote: Hi!I know I am in excellent hands with

Dr. Rice as he did my lap hellerwith DOR in July 2004. It is just that I've never had a surgery quitelike this before; I have never been incubated or had chest tubes, etc.I am just a little nervous! Also, I am 52 and don't expect to recoveras quickly as you young girls!I have a doctor's appointment this morning but you can call me thisafternoon at 703.303.1964 or email me with your number. I haveunlimited long distance. My email is sandraphipps@DotNet!I am looking forward to speaking with you, .>> Hi ,> I meant to respond to your previous post, but didn't get to it yet. > I had an 'ectomy by Dr. Rice back in March 2007 - I'm quickly > approaching my one year mark and doing well! I am 34 years old (was 33 > at time of surgery) and would be happy to

answer as many of your > questions as I can. As nervous and as anxious as you are at the > moment, please rest assured that you are in the best of hands. Dr. > Rice is excellent at what he does, and you will be fine. > I am at work at the moment, but again, would be happy to answer any of > your questions either on the board, offline through personal email, or > over the phone. > Let me know what works for you! I have unlimited long distance and can > call you from home or during work, whatever works best for you. Just > let me know. > in NY> > > 'Ectomy Scheduled for February 7> achalasia > > > Hello,> >

> > Dr. Rice's scheduler called me today and my 'ectomy is scheduled for> > February 7 with pre-op testing on February 5. I have had surgery many> > times, but this is the most major surgery I've ever had and I'm a> > little nervous. Can those of you who have had this tell me what it> > will be like. I know a lot of pain is in store, but hopefully they> > will be able to monitor that with meds. I am also a very 'hard stick'> > when it comes to needles; my veins like to hid and roll. Will they > put> > in a Central Line and will that be after I am asleep. I have so many> > questions I don't know really where to begin.> > > > In VA> > > >>

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now.

Sandy - I have Dr. Rice and he did my Myotomy on December 5, 2007, so I am in the recovery stage right now. All the incisions are healed, still a little soreness, not much swelling left and eating again. Had forgot how good food was, thought I was eating okay but find out now that not much was going to the stomach. I get hungry now and had not been hungry for years. I find that an enjoyment. I had not been able to get much down since July 2007 and had lived on Milk, so I have to get rid of my "milk belly" now instead of a beer belly, :) I will be back in Cleveland on February 4, 5 & 6 for my 8-week check-up and maybe release. So maybe we will run into each other. We will be staying at the Guesthouse. Keep your chin up and go ahead and have some unease about the unknown but know that on the other side it will be better. No pain, No gain could fit us perfectly. I will be praying for your

peace. Millie - VA sandragphipps <sandraphipps@...> wrote: Thanks Millie! After 15 years of dealing with achalasia, I have hadenough. I can only swallow liquids right now, so I am ready andanxious to get it overwith and get on the road to recovery and normaleating!I wish you the best in your early stages of 'a'; just be sure you geta really good doctor. Dr. Rice told me by the time I got to him in2004, I had far too many dilations and botox

treatments. In VA> >> > Hi ,> > I meant to respond to your previous post, but didn't get to it yet. > > I had an 'ectomy by Dr. Rice back in March 2007 - I'm quickly > > approaching my one year mark and doing well! I am 34 years old(was 33 > > at time of surgery) and would be happy to answer as many of your > > questions as I can. As nervous and as anxious as you are at the > > moment,

please rest assured that you are in the best of hands. Dr. > > Rice is excellent at what he does, and you will be fine. > > I am at work at the moment, but again, would be happy to answerany of > > your questions either on the board, offline through personalemail, or > > over the phone. > > Let me know what works for you! I have unlimited long distance andcan > > call you from home or during work, whatever works best for you. Just > > let me know. > > in NY> > > > > > 'Ectomy Scheduled for February 7> > achalasia > > > > > Hello,> > > > > > Dr.

Rice's scheduler called me today and my 'ectomy is scheduled for> > > February 7 with pre-op testing on February 5. I have had surgerymany> > > times, but this is the most major surgery I've ever had and I'm a> > > little nervous. Can those of you who have had this tell me what it> > > will be like. I know a lot of pain is in store, but hopefully they> > > will be able to monitor that with meds. I am also a very 'hardstick'> > > when it comes to needles; my veins like to hid and roll. Will they > > put> > > in a Central Line and will that be after I am asleep. I have so many> > > questions I don't know really where to begin.> > > > > > In VA> > > > > >> >> > > > > > > ---------------------------------> Be a better

friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now.>

Never miss a thing. Make your homepage.

Dr. Rice was able to do my 'ectomy without putting a central line

in....I lucked out on that one. I also did not need a thoracotomy.

in NY

>

>

>

> Sandy, had his ectomy on Dec. 6th by Dr. Rice and is doing

> wonderful.His pain was very well controlled and he hardly

> complained of any. He had a

> central line in but I don't remember ever hearing him say if they

> put it in

> before he was put to sleep or not. He is eating and is tolerating

> food. He

> is eating in moderation but it is so wonderful to see him eating

> and not

> having any problems. He said it all feels so different when he

> swallows but

> Dr. Rice assured him that is normal as everything is new and will

> take some

> time to get used to. He was in the hospital from Dec. 6th to

> December 14th.

> They released him on that Friday and we had to stay at the

> Guesthouse until

> he seen Dr. Rice on the following Tuesday. They wanted him close

> in case he

> developed any problems as we lived so far away. We were there a

> total of

> two weeks. I pray all goes well for you and that you will have a

> wonderfulfuture ahead eating the things you love.

>

>

>

> Barbara

>

> sandragphipps <sandraphipps@...> wrote:

>

> Hello,

>

> Dr. Rice's scheduler called me today and my 'ectomy is scheduled for

> February 7 with pre-op testing on February 5. I have had surgery many

> times, but this is the most major surgery I've ever had and I'm a

> little nervous. Can those of you who have had this tell me what it

> will be like. I know a lot of pain is in store, but hopefully they

> will be able to monitor that with meds. I am also a very 'hard stick'

> when it comes to needles; my veins like to hid and roll. Will they

put

> in a Central Line and will that be after I am asleep. I have so many

> questions I don't know really where to begin.

>

> In VA

>

>

>

>

>

> _____

>

> Never miss a thing. Make

> <http://us.rd./evt=51438/*http:/www./r/hs> your

> homepage.

>

>

>

>

, We should arrive around 3 pm if no problems as we are driving in. We are praying for no snow, so will try to catch up with you sometime that evening. On the 5th I will be doing tests and will have a 24-hr acid test then on the 6th a Barium Swallow and visit with Dr. Rice and hopefully leave around noon to travel back if weather permitting. Take care and hope to touch base with you then. Millie - Bedford Vriginiasandragphipps <sandraphipps@...> wrote: Millie,I will be in Cleveland on the afternoon of the fourth. I will bestaying at the InterContinental Suites. If you have time, call me onmy cell: 703.303.1964. I will be going from appointment to appointmenton the 5th for pre op.Thank you for your prayers. In VA> > >> > > Hi ,> > > I meant to respond to your previous post, but didn't get to it yet. > > > I had an 'ectomy by Dr. Rice back in March 2007 - I'm quickly

> > > approaching my one year mark and doing well! I am 34 years old> (was 33 > > > at time of surgery) and would be happy to answer as many of your > > > questions as I can. As nervous and as anxious as you are at the > > > moment, please rest assured that you are in the best of hands. Dr. > > > Rice is excellent at what he does, and you will be fine. > > > I am at work at the moment, but again, would be happy to answer> any of > > > your questions either on the board, offline through personal> email, or > > > over the phone. > > > Let me know what works for you! I have unlimited long distance and> can > > > call you from home or during work, whatever works best for you.Just > > > let me know. > > > in NY> > > > > > > > > ----- Original

Message -----> > > From: sandragphipps <sandraphipps@>> > > Date: Tuesday, January 8, 2008 6:24 pm> > > Subject: 'Ectomy Scheduled for February 7> > > achalasia > > > > > > > Hello,> > > > > > > > Dr. Rice's scheduler called me today and my 'ectomy isscheduled for> > > > February 7 with pre-op testing on February 5. I have had surgery> many> > > > times, but this is the most major surgery I've ever had and I'm a> > > > little nervous. Can those of you who have had this tell me what it> > > > will be like. I know a lot of pain is in store, but hopefully they> > > > will be able to monitor that with meds. I am also a very 'hard> stick'> > > > when it comes

to needles; my veins like to hid and roll. Willthey > > > put> > > > in a Central Line and will that be after I am asleep. I haveso many> > > > questions I don't know really where to begin.> > > > > > > > In VA> > > > > > > >> > >> > > > > > > > > > > > > > ---------------------------------> > Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. > Try it now.> >> > > > > > > ---------------------------------> Never miss a thing. Make your homepage.>

Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Search.

My surgery was on March 29, 2007. I was supposed to be there at 5:30

am, which makes you think they are starting that early, but there was

about an hour of prep type stuff before we even went anywhere near the

OR, and my husband told me it was almost 9:30 before they even came

out and notified him they had actually started. I believe it was

around 3:00 pm or so when they told him I was done, and they were

getting me moved to ICU, and while that was happening he went and saw

Dr. Rice for a report on how things went.

I was in ICU the remainder of the 29th, and all day the 30th. Dr. Rice

will likely keep you sedated that first day because you will be

intubated for a day. So the 30th I was allowed to wake up and was

extubated, and he said I'd stay in ICU one more day. Then Saturday

came and I was questioning how well the epidural was working because I

was still having some pain even with it in, but I've never had one

before so I didn't know if you should still feel any discomfort or

not. Typically I have a high pain threshold - I have had two babies

with no pain meds at all, and been through enough to know I can

tolerate stuff pretty well. So, that being said, Dr. Rice decided

maybe it wasn't working for me or wasn't in right, and decided to stop

it. BIG MISTAKE. Within a few hours I was in AGONY, and the worst part

was that ICU is so tough on visiting hours that my husband wasn't

there at all to advocate for me. I was a total bitch to this one young

nurse - I actually made her cry. I dema

nded they get Rice there if they weren't going to get the pain people

to come...needless to say they got them there and my epidural got

flowing again, and I also got a secondary pain pump to boot. After

that I wasn't feeling any pain. Anyway, due to the pain control

issues, Dr. Rice (apologized) and decided to just keep me in ICU one

more night, and I went to the unit on Sunday. So surgery was Thursday

3/29 and I went to the regular unit on Sunday 4/1. That being said,

had I not had the pain issue on Saturday, I would have been moved to

the unit Saturday. After that, I stayed on the regular unit and was

discharged on 4/10.

Because we were from 5 1/2 hours away, we stayed local in Cleveland

and saw Dr. Rice again on 4/11, we then drove home 4/12, and then we

drove and picked up my two kids from my sister's house (another 3 1/2

hours away) on 4/13 and returned home.

I then went back for a follow up with Rice on 5/3 and was given

clearance to start his diet (had been allowed some popsicles prior to

that). Got my j-tube removed a few weeks later on 5/23 (he wanted to

give it a few weeks in case I had any trouble eating - as he said, we

can start weening you off it, but want to make sure all is well before

we take it out just in case). Within a few weeks was eating pretty

much everything, although smaller meals at first - that has gotten

better over time - although still not as much as I used to be able to

eat in one sitting.

I returned to work pretty much full time on 6/11.

in NY

achalasia

> Thanks, ! Also, how long were you in ICU and in Cleveland? Dr.

> Rice said there would probably be some rehab for me.

>

>

>

> > > > >

> > > > > Hello,

> > > > >

> > > > > Dr. Rice's scheduler called me today and my 'ectomy is

> > > scheduled for

> > > > > February 7 with pre-op testing on February 5. I have had

> > > surgery many

> > > > > times, but this is the most major surgery I've ever had

> and

> > > I'm a

> > > > > little nervous. Can those of you who have had this tell me

> > > what it

> > > > > will be like. I know a lot of pain is in store, but

> hopefully

> > they

> > > > > will be able to monitor that with meds. I am also a very

> 'hard

> > > stick'> > when it comes to needles; my veins like to hid and

> roll.

> > > Will they

> > > > put

> > > > > in a Central Line and will that be after I am asleep. I

> have

> > > so many

> > > > > questions I don't know really where to begin.

> > > > >

> > > > > In VA

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > _____

> > > > >

> > > > > Never miss a thing. Make

> > > > >

> <http://us.rd./evt=51438/*http:/www./r/hs>

> > > your

> > > > > homepage.

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> >

>

>

>

Hi ,

I was given the epidural once I was in the OR. They brought me in

there and I was still awake and hadn't had any drugs yet. Once I was

in there and they started some IV's and stuff (nothing crazy - they do

most of the " prep " to you once you are drugged enough to not remember

any of it), they gave me some stuff to relax me a bit, but then the

anesthesiologist did the epidural. They were great though.....the

nurse that was there with me was a guy, and he was so nice and talked

me through it and I leaned on him while they did it and it wasn't bad

at all. I had never had one when I had my kids (which they were all

impressed with), so I was nervous about it. Really it felt similar to

a bee sting, and then that was it. And don't worry about it, you will

be glad you have it as it really keeps your pain under control. I

think I had mine for 6 days or so. And because they insert it higher

up in your spinal column, it numbs the chest area/upper abdomen and

does not effect your legs or

ability to walk and all that like an epidural for childbirth would.

So it's great, you can still get up and walk around with no problem,

which is very important to your recovery.

The j-tube wasn't that hard to deal with so to speak, but you will end

up hating it. Maybe I was more easily frustrated with it because I had

two little ones running around and I just hated feeling like I

couldn't be my normal mommy self. You will get the hang of it real

fast, and they will have you start on tube feedings while in

Cleveland, so they will have someone come in and teach you how to do

it, and they have you doing everything before you leave. They also set

up home nursing care for me, which they came once and we decided we

didn't really need it, but if you don't have anyone to assist you on a

regular basis you may want to continue that service. Again, it is not

very difficult at all. You will be in heaven the day that thing comes

out though, I can promise you that. Suddenly you can reclaim a feeling

of normalcy once it's gone.

in NY

achalasia

> When were you given the epidural? I had no idea you would have to

have

> one of those.

>

> Dr. Rice told me I could count on being in Cleveland three weeks.

>

> Was the J-tube easy to deal with? Were you able to do everything by

> yourself? The reason I ask is that I only have one son, who will be

> with me part of the time, but only part. I will come home alone.

>

> I remember I had to be threre at 5:30 when they did my myotomy,

> but it

> was nothing as severe as this as it was done laporoscopially. I

> remember waking up from that and terrible pain in my shoulders, which

> went on for weeks!

>

>

>

>

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Hello,

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Dr. Rice's scheduler called me today and my 'ectomy is

> > > > > scheduled for

> > > > > > > February 7 with pre-op testing on February 5. I have

> had

> > > > > surgery many

> > > > > > > times, but this is the most major surgery I've ever

> had

> > > and

> > > > > I'm a

> > > > > > > little nervous. Can those of you who have had this

> tell me

> > > > > what it

> > > > > > > will be like. I know a lot of pain is in store, but

> > > hopefully

> > > > they

> > > > > > > will be able to monitor that with meds. I am also a

> very

> > > 'hard

> > > > > stick'> > when it comes to needles; my veins like to hid

> and

> > > roll.

> > > > > Will they

> > > > > > put

> > > > > > > in a Central Line and will that be after I am asleep.

> I

> > > have

> > > > > so many

> > > > > > > questions I don't know really where to begin.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > In VA

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > _____

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Never miss a thing. Make

> > > > > > >

> > > <http://us.rd./evt=51438/*http:/www./r/hs>

> > > > > your

> > > > > > > homepage.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> >

>

>

>

Oh you are totally out for the whole surgery.

The epidural is only for pain management.

in NY

achalasia

> Thanks so much for all this valuable information, . I appreciate

> it so much. It is the not knowing that is the most frightening. I was

> wondering about home care too. That is good to know, since I am

alone.

>

> Now were you awake during your surgery or were you under and they

just

> put the epidural in for pain management after the surgery?

>

> In VA

>

>

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > Hello,

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > Dr. Rice's scheduler called me today and my

> 'ectomy is

> > > > > > > scheduled for

> > > > > > > > > February 7 with pre-op testing on February 5. I

> have

> > > had

> > > > > > > surgery many

> > > > > > > > > times, but this is the most major surgery I've

> ever

> > > had

> > > > > and

> > > > > > > I'm a

> > > > > > > > > little nervous. Can those of you who have had this

> > > tell me

> > > > > > > what it

> > > > > > > > > will be like. I know a lot of pain is in store,

> but

> > > > > hopefully

> > > > > > they

> > > > > > > > > will be able to monitor that with meds. I am also

> a

> > > very

> > > > > 'hard

> > > > > > > stick'> > when it comes to needles; my veins like to

> hid

> > > and

> > > > > roll.

> > > > > > > Will they

> > > > > > > > put

> > > > > > > > > in a Central Line and will that be after I am

> asleep.

> > > I

> > > > > have

> > > > > > > so many

> > > > > > > > > questions I don't know really where to begin.

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > In VA

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > _____

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > Never miss a thing. Make

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > >

> <http://us.rd./evt=51438/*http:/www./r/hs>

> > > > > > > your

> > > > > > > > > homepage.

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> >

>

>

>

Hi ,

I agree with 's experience of the epidural and j tube. Both were done while i was out to it - prelim work for the epidural was done in pre-op but i don't remember the final part as they gave me a sedative and after that i don't remember a thing. The epidural is wonderful as it controls all the pain during the most painful phase post operatively. The j tube stays in until you are eating 'normal' foods (although it will only be small amounts). Once you are not needing to use it cover it up completely if you can with some Tegaderm or other plastic waterproof dressing. It makes it easier to forget it is there if it is completely coverd and not dangling around. Don't worry about all these tubes and things - they don't hurt and are more of a nuisance than anything else especially when you want to move around.

Deb

Thanks so much for all this valuable information, . I appreciateit so much. It is the not knowing that is the most frightening. I waswondering about home care too. That is good to know, since I am alone.Now were you awake during your surgery or were you under and they justput the epidural in for pain management after the surgery? In VA> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Hello,> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Dr. Rice's scheduler called me today and my 'ectomy is > > > > > > scheduled for> > > > > > > > February 7 with pre-op testing on February 5. I have > > had > > > > > > surgery many> > > > > > > > times, but this is the most major surgery I've ever > > had > > > > and > > > > > > I'm a> > > > > > >

> little nervous. Can those of you who have had this > > tell me > > > > > > what it> > > > > > > > will be like. I know a lot of pain is in store, but > > > > hopefully > > > > > they> > > > > > > > will be able to monitor that with meds. I am also a > > very > > > > 'hard > > > > > > stick'> > when it comes to needles; my veins like to hid > > and > > > > roll. > > > > > > Will they > > > > > > > put> > > > > > > > in a Central Line and will that be after I am asleep. > > I > > > > have > > > > > > so many> > > > > > > > questions I don't know really where to begin.> > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > In VA> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > _____ > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Never miss a thing. Make > > > > > > > > > > > > <http://us.rd. / evt=51438/ *http:/www. / r/hs> > > > > > > your > > > > > > > > homepage.> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >

>> > > > > > >> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >> > > > >> > > > > > > > > > > >> > >> > > > > >>

No i am in Australia. I had mine at Epworth Eastern in Box Hill - a suburb of Melbourne.

Good luck.

Deb

Deb,Thanks so much for sharing your experience too. I am feeling betterabout this each day! Did you have your surgery at CCF?> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Hello,> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Dr. Rice's scheduler called me today and my 'ectomy is > > > > > > > scheduled for> > > > > > > > > February 7 with pre-op testing on February 5. I have > > > had > > > > > > > surgery many> > > > > > > > > times, but this is the most major surgery I've ever > > >

had > > > > > and > > > > > > > I'm a> > > > > > > > > little nervous. Can those of you who have had this > > > tell me > > > > > > > what it> > > > > > > > > will be like. I know a lot of pain is in store, but > > > > > hopefully > > > > > > they> > > > > > > > > will be able to monitor that with meds. I am also a > > > very > > > > > 'hard > > > > > > > stick'> > when it comes to needles; my veins like to hid > > > and > > > > > roll. > > > > > > > Will they > > > > > > > > put> > > > > > > > > in a Central Line and will that be after I am asleep. > >

> I > > > > > have > > > > > > > so many> > > > > > > > > questions I don't know really where to begin.> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > In VA> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > _____ > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Never miss a thing. Make > > > > > > > > > > > > > > <http://us.rd. / evt=51438/ *http:/www. /r/hs> > > > > > > >

your > > > > > > > > > homepage.> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >> > > > > > > >> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >> > > > > >> > > > > > > > > > > > > > >> > > >> > > > > > > > >> >> > > > > > Make the switch to the world's best email. Get the new 7Mail now. www.7.com. au/worldsbestema il>