RemedySpot.com

Re: Neti Pot for Sinuses

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I totally agree about the risk. In fact I thought I read somewhere you SHOULDN'T use it if you had a sinus infection. I've also seen in the stores just a nasal spray of saline water. I think my pediatrician recommended that for my son when he was young, but I tried it once and my son hated it, of course. I also read you have to be careful how saline it is or isn't. Either way is not comfortable. They were kind of expensive. Wonder if the large bottles of saline solution for contact lens would work? Not the cleanser, but some are just plain saline water and might be cheaper? Seems like that might be the same ph that would be comfortable for sinuses and would be sure to be sterile.

Isn't it fascinating this was an unheard of, uncommon remedy, and Oprah does a thing about it and for a while they were out of stock. Bet now they are making hundreds of thousands of them in some factory. I found a website selling them and they had other intersting items. They had pillows or pads filled with crystallized salt that you could heat or freeze as a hot or cold pack. There was some belief that the salt was effective in healing. Also had a salt thing you breathed out of to help your lungs, maybe that would help us also. By chance, today we are going whale watching... so I'll test and just breathe in the salt air deeply. Who knows, maybe that will get rid of the lingering cough my daughter and I have. As far as heating and cooling the salt pads, wouldn't it seem like a humid climate would just make it a lump after a while? That is probably how we "progressed" to the mysterious content pellet filled pads in stores now.

For those with newer surgeries, these lung and sinus infections can continue to be a problem in spite of how successful the surgery is. I have almost no issues with eating, but any cold easily turns into a session with antibiotics, the "stuff" just lingers in our esophagus and doesn't slide down like other people. Staying elevated at night is still important, I think. When my kids were babies and had a cold I'd let them take naps and sometimes sleep in that bouncy chair thing that is like a recliner, some of which vibrate. Wouldn't that be nice if they had it now for us? Guess they do at stores like Sharper Image, but $$$ and kind of ugly.

I nag about this often, but maybe another nag is good. We should likely all get the pneumonia shot. Won't stop all these problems, but since I've had it I haven't had as many bad infections.

Oh... here is another hint, from a Mom friend. She got eucalyptus oil and put just a drop of it on the collar of her baby daughter's shirt. It keeps the vapors and helps clear the sinuses she says. It is very strong and can burn if it touches the skin. Is that the same stuff that is in Vicks, maybe? She said it lasts longer.

Sandy in So Cal i

not usually this "holistic" my motto is usually "don't you have a pill?"