Greetings and a question

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Thanks for speaking up Jeanne,

How old are the different people with allergies? Is it possible for you to make

the basics of

bean, grain and veggies and then either add stuff differently for the different

allergies or

for everyone to basically doctor it up as they like from there?

Great news you're off the cane. I too hope that you can have more than just be

off the

cane use.

Peace,

Reggie

>

> This is a newbie greeting and question neatly wrapped in one post.

>

> First, hello everyone. I'm Jeanne, a newbie to macrobiotics but not

> vegetarian eating. We've been semi-vegetarians (occasional fish only)

> for a year now and thought it was time for the next step. Since I am

> the cook in the house, I am always on the lookout for new recipes to

> help our continual transition. I also have what we call the auto-

> immune cess pool. We don't really know what's gone wrong. My official

> diagonsis is PCOS, Anklyosing Spondylitis, and serum negative RA. The

> diet has helped. I am now almost completely off my cane, but I long

> for more if that's possible.

>

> Second, my question. The biggest frustration I face as the cook in our

> house is food allergies. We have a lot in our house. My questions

> pertains to cooking with allergies. How do you continually adapt? I

> get downright tired of the same things again and again because I can't

> fix this or that recipe because of the allergies. I substitue when I

> can, but does anyone else have this problem? How do you cope with it?

>

> Thanks for letting me bend your ears,

>

> Jeanne

>

Thanks for speaking up Jeanne,

How old are the different people with allergies? Is it possible for you to make

the basics of

bean, grain and veggies and then either add stuff differently for the different

allergies or

for everyone to basically doctor it up as they like from there?

Great news you're off the cane. I too hope that you can have more than just be

off the

cane use.

Peace,

Reggie

>

>

> vegetarian eating. We've been semi-vegetarians (occasional fish only)

> for a year now and thought it was time for the next step. Since I am

> the cook in the house, I am always on the lookout for new recipes to

> immune cess pool. We don't really know what's gone wrong. My official

> diagonsis is PCOS, Anklyosing Spondylitis, and serum negative RA. The

>

>

>

> Jeanne

>

Hi Jeanne & welcome to our group,

Glad to hear that the diet has been helping. Do you know which foods are causing you problems?

I have quite a few allergies & have found that an overall approach is the best. I avoid all environmental chemicals, such as cleansers & fragrances. Most of my food is organic. We strive to eat at regular times, do the daily body rub, and be happy :-)

As the body de-toxifies, many of the offending foods can be gradually added to the diet. It takes time.

I also encourage people to learn many different cooking techniques. Carrot juice tastes completely different from marinated carrots, or from stir-fried carrots, or from nishime carrots, etc.

Best wishes,

Dottie

[sPAM] Greetings and a Question

This is a newbie greeting and question neatly wrapped in one post. First, hello everyone. I'm Jeanne, a newbie to macrobiotics but not vegetarian eating.

Second, my question. The biggest frustration I face as the cook in our house is food allergies. We have a lot in our house. My questions pertains to cooking with allergies. How do you continually adapt? I get downright tired of the same things again and again because I can't fix this or that recipe because of the allergies. I substitue when I can, but does anyone else have this problem? How do you cope with it?Thanks for letting me bend your ears,Jeanne

Hi Jeanne & welcome to our group,

Glad to hear that the diet has been helping. Do you know which foods are causing you problems?

I have quite a few allergies & have found that an overall approach is the best. I avoid all environmental chemicals, such as cleansers & fragrances. Most of my food is organic. We strive to eat at regular times, do the daily body rub, and be happy :-)

As the body de-toxifies, many of the offending foods can be gradually added to the diet. It takes time.

I also encourage people to learn many different cooking techniques. Carrot juice tastes completely different from marinated carrots, or from stir-fried carrots, or from nishime carrots, etc.

Best wishes,

Dottie

This is a newbie greeting and question neatly wrapped in one post. First, hello everyone. I'm Jeanne, a newbie to macrobiotics but not vegetarian eating.

Second, my question. The biggest frustration I face as the cook in our house is food allergies. We have a lot in our house. My questions pertains to cooking with allergies. How do you continually adapt? I get downright tired of the same things again and again because I can't fix this or that recipe because of the allergies. I substitue when I can, but does anyone else have this problem? How do you cope with it?Thanks for letting me bend your ears,Jeanne

I have some allergies which I know of through trial and error (citrus, tomatoes, beef, coffee. grasses, shellfish-especially shrimp- and a couple of others) but my partner has confirmed allergies to (takes a deep breath) celery, spinach, most nuts, sweet potatoes, peas, citrus, tomatoes, tea, chocolate, oats, eggs, trees, molds, dusts, grasses, shellfish, and others I simply can't remember right now.

Cooking is hard in our house, especially with three children, but I have learned some adaptations. Spinach is generally replaced by napa cabbage in recipes. Celery is generally deleted or replace with onion or leeks. Eggs are replaced with egg replacer, pumpkin, or apple sauce. Oats, well, I simply can't replace that in recipes. I haven't found a replacement that works. Anyone have any ideas?

I guess what I am asking is: how much of the macrobiotic diet can I use without forsaking the basic nutrition my kiddos need?

Jeanne - the one scratching her head and thinking

I have some allergies which I know of through trial and error (citrus, tomatoes, beef, coffee. grasses, shellfish-especially shrimp- and a couple of others) but my partner has confirmed allergies to (takes a deep breath) celery, spinach, most nuts, sweet potatoes, peas, citrus, tomatoes, tea, chocolate, oats, eggs, trees, molds, dusts, grasses, shellfish, and others I simply can't remember right now.

Cooking is hard in our house, especially with three children, but I have learned some adaptations. Spinach is generally replaced by napa cabbage in recipes. Celery is generally deleted or replace with onion or leeks. Eggs are replaced with egg replacer, pumpkin, or apple sauce. Oats, well, I simply can't replace that in recipes. I haven't found a replacement that works. Anyone have any ideas?

I guess what I am asking is: how much of the macrobiotic diet can I use without forsaking the basic nutrition my kiddos need?

Jeanne - the one scratching her head and thinking

Jeanne, You're in for a great adventure!!!!!!! I'd forgotten some of your background info, but after a while with mb, you aren't in the head of replacing items, but rather in another whole different ball park. For a while you may be looking for recipes without the items you can't have (for now) but later you will be making up your own recipes!!!! But not all those items are foods - that's a tougher one But I believe Dottie already wrote, as your condition improves (and those of your family) and all of you reach balance, the allergies will be a thing of the past Meanwhile there's a whole world of foods to experiment with - good luck - cook outside the box (ie, try new foods) Klarajlgfellers <jlgfellers@...> wrote: I have some allergies which I know of through trial and error (citrus, tomatoes, beef, coffee. grasses, shellfish-especially shrimp- and a couple of others) but my partner has confirmed allergies to (takes a deep breath) celery, spinach, most nuts, sweet potatoes, peas, citrus, tomatoes, tea, chocolate, oats, eggs, trees, molds, dusts, grasses, shellfish, and others I simply can't remember right now. Cooking is hard in our house, especially with three children, but I have

learned some adaptations. Spinach is generally replaced by napa cabbage in recipes. Celery is generally deleted or replace with onion or leeks. Eggs are replaced with egg replacer, pumpkin, or apple sauce. Oats, well, I simply can't replace that in recipes. I haven't found a replacement that works. Anyone have any ideas? I guess what I am asking is: how much of the macrobiotic diet can I use without forsaking the basic nutrition my kiddos need? Jeanne - the one scratching her head and thinking [sPAM] Greetings and a Question This is a newbie greeting and question neatly wrapped in one post. First, hello everyone. I'm Jeanne, a newbie to macrobiotics but not vegetarian eating. Second, my question. The biggest frustration I face as the cook in our house is food allergies. We have a lot in our house. My questions pertains

to cooking with allergies. How do you continually adapt? I get downright tired of the same things again and again because I can't fix this or that recipe because of the allergies. I substitue when I can, but does anyone else have this problem? How do you cope with it?Thanks for letting me bend your ears,Jeanne

Get easy, one-click access to your favorites. Make your homepage.

Jeanne, You're in for a great adventure!!!!!!! I'd forgotten some of your background info, but after a while with mb, you aren't in the head of replacing items, but rather in another whole different ball park. For a while you may be looking for recipes without the items you can't have (for now) but later you will be making up your own recipes!!!! But not all those items are foods - that's a tougher one But I believe Dottie already wrote, as your condition improves (and those of your family) and all of you reach balance, the allergies will be a thing of the past Meanwhile there's a whole world of foods to experiment with - good luck - cook outside the box (ie, try new foods) Klarajlgfellers <jlgfellers@...> wrote: I have some allergies which I know of through trial and error (citrus, tomatoes, beef, coffee. grasses, shellfish-especially shrimp- and a couple of others) but my partner has confirmed allergies to (takes a deep breath) celery, spinach, most nuts, sweet potatoes, peas, citrus, tomatoes, tea, chocolate, oats, eggs, trees, molds, dusts, grasses, shellfish, and others I simply can't remember right now. Cooking is hard in our house, especially with three children, but I have

learned some adaptations. Spinach is generally replaced by napa cabbage in recipes. Celery is generally deleted or replace with onion or leeks. Eggs are replaced with egg replacer, pumpkin, or apple sauce. Oats, well, I simply can't replace that in recipes. I haven't found a replacement that works. Anyone have any ideas? I guess what I am asking is: how much of the macrobiotic diet can I use without forsaking the basic nutrition my kiddos need? Jeanne - the one scratching her head and thinking [sPAM] Greetings and a Question This is a newbie greeting and question neatly wrapped in one post. First, hello everyone. I'm Jeanne, a newbie to macrobiotics but not vegetarian eating. Second, my question. The biggest frustration I face as the cook in our house is food allergies. We have a lot in our house. My questions pertains

to cooking with allergies. How do you continually adapt? I get downright tired of the same things again and again because I can't fix this or that recipe because of the allergies. I substitue when I can, but does anyone else have this problem? How do you cope with it?Thanks for letting me bend your ears,Jeanne

Get easy, one-click access to your favorites. Make your homepage.

I really see nothing 'macro' that you guys are allergic to aside from the oats.

There are so

many wonderful, delicious and nutritious grains that you can easily go without

oats.

My daughter doesn't eat any of the foods that you mention allergies for aside

from the

oats. I sometimes make hot cereal for her with leftover grains, I'll add some

rice milk and

heat it up sometimes throw in some raisins and brown rice syrup.

I don't hear any bean allergies and there is broc, kale, caul, parsnip, bok

choy, etc tons of

veggies.....

What are you concerned about nutrition wise for the kids?

Peace,

Reggie

>

> I have some allergies which I know of through trial and error (citrus,

tomatoes, beef,

coffee. grasses, shellfish-especially shrimp- and a couple of others) but my

partner has

confirmed allergies to (takes a deep breath) celery, spinach, most nuts, sweet

potatoes,

peas, citrus, tomatoes, tea, chocolate, oats, eggs, trees, molds, dusts,

grasses, shellfish,

and others I simply can't remember right now.

>

> Cooking is hard in our house, especially with three children, but I have

learned some

adaptations. Spinach is generally replaced by napa cabbage in recipes. Celery is

generally

deleted or replace with onion or leeks. Eggs are replaced with egg replacer,

pumpkin, or

apple sauce. Oats, well, I simply can't replace that in recipes. I haven't found

a replacement

that works. Anyone have any ideas?

>

> I guess what I am asking is: how much of the macrobiotic diet can I use

without

forsaking the basic nutrition my kiddos need?

>

> Jeanne - the one scratching her head and thinking

>

> [sPAM] Greetings and a Question

>

>

>

> vegetarian eating.

>

>

>

> Jeanne

>

I really see nothing 'macro' that you guys are allergic to aside from the oats.

There are so

many wonderful, delicious and nutritious grains that you can easily go without

oats.

My daughter doesn't eat any of the foods that you mention allergies for aside

from the

oats. I sometimes make hot cereal for her with leftover grains, I'll add some

rice milk and

heat it up sometimes throw in some raisins and brown rice syrup.

I don't hear any bean allergies and there is broc, kale, caul, parsnip, bok

choy, etc tons of

veggies.....

What are you concerned about nutrition wise for the kids?

Peace,

Reggie

>

> I have some allergies which I know of through trial and error (citrus,

tomatoes, beef,

coffee. grasses, shellfish-especially shrimp- and a couple of others) but my

partner has

confirmed allergies to (takes a deep breath) celery, spinach, most nuts, sweet

potatoes,

peas, citrus, tomatoes, tea, chocolate, oats, eggs, trees, molds, dusts,

grasses, shellfish,

and others I simply can't remember right now.

>

> Cooking is hard in our house, especially with three children, but I have

learned some

adaptations. Spinach is generally replaced by napa cabbage in recipes. Celery is

generally

deleted or replace with onion or leeks. Eggs are replaced with egg replacer,

pumpkin, or

apple sauce. Oats, well, I simply can't replace that in recipes. I haven't found

a replacement

that works. Anyone have any ideas?

>

> I guess what I am asking is: how much of the macrobiotic diet can I use

without

forsaking the basic nutrition my kiddos need?

>

>

>

>

>

> vegetarian eating.

>

>

>

> Jeanne

>

Hi Jeanne,

Welcome to the group!

Maybe someone has already asked, but what allergies? What have you

been cooking? What do you need to avoid?

I have had great success with my allergies by eating a whole foods

macro diet.

Best,

>

>

> vegetarian eating. We've been semi-vegetarians (occasional fish

only)

> for a year now and thought it was time for the next step. Since I

am

> the cook in the house, I am always on the lookout for new recipes

to

> immune cess pool. We don't really know what's gone wrong. My

official

> diagonsis is PCOS, Anklyosing Spondylitis, and serum negative RA.

The

>

> Second, my question. The biggest frustration I face as the cook in

our

> get downright tired of the same things again and again because I

can't

> fix this or that recipe because of the allergies. I substitue when

I

> can, but does anyone else have this problem? How do you cope with

it?

>

>

> Jeanne

>

Hi Jeanne,

Welcome to the group!

Maybe someone has already asked, but what allergies? What have you

been cooking? What do you need to avoid?

I have had great success with my allergies by eating a whole foods

macro diet.

Best,

>

>

> vegetarian eating. We've been semi-vegetarians (occasional fish

only)

> for a year now and thought it was time for the next step. Since I

am

> the cook in the house, I am always on the lookout for new recipes

to

> immune cess pool. We don't really know what's gone wrong. My

official

> diagonsis is PCOS, Anklyosing Spondylitis, and serum negative RA.

The

>

> Second, my question. The biggest frustration I face as the cook in

our

> get downright tired of the same things again and again because I

can't

> fix this or that recipe because of the allergies. I substitue when

I

> can, but does anyone else have this problem? How do you cope with

it?

>

>

> Jeanne

>

Jeanne,

There is soooo much variety in the macro diet and it's very nutrient

dense! I would get some new cookbooks (your library will have them)

and experiment! Many of the foods you mention, with a few

exceptions, would not be included in macro recipes.

Try Waxman's books (created for parents/kids), or Simon

Brown's new Modern Day Macrobiotics for information and inspiration,

or the lovely Marque's cookbooks too.

http://www.simply-natural.biz/books-macrobiotic-books.php

('s site has sooooo much there to offer.)

>

> I have some allergies which I know of through trial and error

(citrus, tomatoes, beef, coffee. grasses, shellfish-especially shrimp-

and a couple of others) but my partner has confirmed allergies to

(takes a deep breath) celery, spinach, most nuts, sweet potatoes,

peas, citrus, tomatoes, tea, chocolate, oats, eggs, trees, molds,

dusts, grasses, shellfish, and others I simply can't remember right

now.

>

> Cooking is hard in our house, especially with three children, but I

have learned some adaptations. Spinach is generally replaced by napa

cabbage in recipes. Celery is generally deleted or replace with

onion or leeks. Eggs are replaced with egg replacer, pumpkin, or

apple sauce. Oats, well, I simply can't replace that in recipes. I

haven't found a replacement that works. Anyone have any ideas?

>

> I guess what I am asking is: how much of the macrobiotic diet can I

use without forsaking the basic nutrition my kiddos need?

>

>

>

>

> This is a newbie greeting and question neatly wrapped in one

post.

>

> First, hello everyone. I'm Jeanne, a newbie to macrobiotics but

not

> vegetarian eating.

>

> Second, my question. The biggest frustration I face as the cook

in our

> house is food allergies. We have a lot in our house. My

questions

> pertains to cooking with allergies. How do you continually

adapt? I

> get downright tired of the same things again and again because

I can't

> fix this or that recipe because of the allergies. I substitue

when I

> can, but does anyone else have this problem? How do you cope

with it?

>

>

> Jeanne

>

Jeanne,

There is soooo much variety in the macro diet and it's very nutrient

dense! I would get some new cookbooks (your library will have them)

and experiment! Many of the foods you mention, with a few

exceptions, would not be included in macro recipes.

Try Waxman's books (created for parents/kids), or Simon

Brown's new Modern Day Macrobiotics for information and inspiration,

or the lovely Marque's cookbooks too.

http://www.simply-natural.biz/books-macrobiotic-books.php

('s site has sooooo much there to offer.)

>

> I have some allergies which I know of through trial and error

(citrus, tomatoes, beef, coffee. grasses, shellfish-especially shrimp-

and a couple of others) but my partner has confirmed allergies to

(takes a deep breath) celery, spinach, most nuts, sweet potatoes,

peas, citrus, tomatoes, tea, chocolate, oats, eggs, trees, molds,

dusts, grasses, shellfish, and others I simply can't remember right

now.

>

> Cooking is hard in our house, especially with three children, but I

have learned some adaptations. Spinach is generally replaced by napa

cabbage in recipes. Celery is generally deleted or replace with

onion or leeks. Eggs are replaced with egg replacer, pumpkin, or

apple sauce. Oats, well, I simply can't replace that in recipes. I

haven't found a replacement that works. Anyone have any ideas?

>

> I guess what I am asking is: how much of the macrobiotic diet can I

use without forsaking the basic nutrition my kiddos need?

>

>

>

>

> This is a newbie greeting and question neatly wrapped in one

post.

>

> First, hello everyone. I'm Jeanne, a newbie to macrobiotics but

not

> vegetarian eating.

>

> Second, my question. The biggest frustration I face as the cook

in our

> house is food allergies. We have a lot in our house. My

questions

> pertains to cooking with allergies. How do you continually

adapt? I

> get downright tired of the same things again and again because

I can't

> fix this or that recipe because of the allergies. I substitue

when I

> can, but does anyone else have this problem? How do you cope

with it?

>

>

> Jeanne

>

• 7 months later...
Guest guest

Hello, My name is Glenn. I'm new to this forum. i've had Vigorous

Achalasia for almost 3 years now. I've sought medical attention from

the beginning and have had 2 dialations and am scheduled for the 3rd

soon. I'm 46 year old male, fit, 5-10 " and now 158lbs, down from 185.

I'm reading of a lot of brave struggles here, including multiple

Myotamys and Esophagus replacements and I fear to think this is my

fate. It does feel good to know that I'm not alone. I'm struggling and

can't really go to eat out anymore or hide my condition very well. I'm

in Central NJ and am wondering if I should have a Myotamy instead of

the 3rd Dialation, also, does anyone know of a good specialist nearby

who takes Aetna insurance? God bless all of you and thanks.

Guest guest

Glenn,

In people under the age of 50, especially males, the myotomy

works better than repeated dilations.

You can find some good specialists at:

www.achalasia.us

and

www.achalasiadoctors.wetpaint.com

Often the doctor's office can work with your insurance to get it

covered, even outside the network.

Good luck!

in PA

Greetings and a question

> Hello, My name is Glenn. I'm new to this forum. i've had

> Vigorous

> Achalasia for almost 3 years now. I've sought medical attention

> from

> the beginning and have had 2 dialations and am scheduled for

> the 3rd

> soon. I'm 46 year old male, fit, 5-10 " and now 158lbs, down

> from 185.

> I'm reading of a lot of brave struggles here, including

> multiple

> Myotamys and Esophagus replacements and I fear to think this is

> my

> fate. It does feel good to know that I'm not alone. I'm

> struggling and

> can't really go to eat out anymore or hide my condition very

> well. I'm

> in Central NJ and am wondering if I should have a Myotamy

> instead of

> the 3rd Dialation, also, does anyone know of a good specialist

> nearby

> who takes Aetna insurance? God bless all of you and thanks.

>

>

> ------------------------------------

>

>