RemedySpot.com

Update on my mom

Rate this topic

Guest guest

debby, I'm really sorry, I can't appreciate the difficulty you must be dealing with as Ihave always been on the receiving end of chrisis care. This sounds really difficult and your mom, if she pulls out has a rock road ahead.Hang inthere, we are a really good source of unconditional support.

My prayers are with you. Remember, you have been through the ringer yourself, take care of you too.

Patty

[ J. ] -----Original Message-----From: Tex Pueschel [mailto:tdcc2000@...]Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2002 11:13 PM ; BreastCancer-StageIV Subject: [ ] update on my Mom

Hi...sorry that I have been absent. I have been so very busy with Mom and her banking, etc.

Mom is STILL in the hospital. Her O2saturation was only 81 tonight with and without O2, so the nurse bumped upthe oxygen. I don't understand what she did, but she moved some dial from 2to 3 so I guess Mom gets more oxygen per sniff! Today, she had her esophagus dialated this afternoon and tomorrow she is to be seen by a pulumory doctor. Her oncologist is going to order Physical Therapy so shecan get some strength in her legs AND to help with the fluid retention in her legs and arm (the one without the lymph nodes where they took her breast). So.....please keep praying for those who pray! I reallyappreciate it!debby

Thanks Patty...I am just scared. She is 78 but I love her so dearly. Heck, she just bought a new car a couple of weeks ago and has only been able to drive it 8 miles! I just want to cry because I feel so bad for her. THanks for caring!

debby

RE: [ ] update on my Mom

debby, I'm really sorry, I can't appreciate the difficulty you must be dealing with as Ihave always been on the receiving end of chrisis care. This sounds really difficult and your mom, if she pulls out has a rock road ahead.Hang inthere, we are a really good source of unconditional support.

My prayers are with you. Remember, you have been through the ringer yourself, take care of you too.

Patty

[ J. ] -----Original Message-----From: Tex Pueschel [mailto:tdcc2000@...]Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2002 11:13 PM ; BreastCancer-StageIV Subject: [ ] update on my Mom

Hi...sorry that I have been absent. I have been so very busy with Mom and her banking, etc.

Mom is STILL in the hospital. Her O2saturation was only 81 tonight with and without O2, so the nurse bumped upthe oxygen. I don't understand what she did, but she moved some dial from 2to 3 so I guess Mom gets more oxygen per sniff! Today, she had her esophagus dialated this afternoon and tomorrow she is to be seen by a pulumory doctor. Her oncologist is going to order Physical Therapy so shecan get some strength in her legs AND to help with the fluid retention in her legs and arm (the one without the lymph nodes where they took her breast). So.....please keep praying for those who pray! I reallyappreciate it!debby

Dear Debby,

Hang in there.... we will be thinking and praying for you and your mother.... bumping up the O2 when the oxygen saturation is low is standard procedure..... if your mother has a nasal cannula on ( the thing that puts two little ducts into her nose) she can receive up to 6ml of O2 that way. The increase in oxygen hopefully will make her feel better... it sounds like her doctor has a good plan for her....

Sending (((((hugs)))) to you and her.....

Cheryl & Randy

Debby tell your mother that we are thinking of her and sending our prayers. Hope everything goes well. Ann CT [ ] update on my Mom Hi...sorry that I have been absent. I have been so very busy with Mom and her banking, etc. Mom is STILL in the hospital. Her O2saturation was only 81 tonight with and without O2, so the nurse bumped upthe oxygen. I don't understand what she did, but she moved some dial from 2to 3 so I guess Mom gets more oxygen per sniff! Today, she had her esophagus dialated this afternoon and tomorrow she is to be seen by a pulumory doctor. Her oncologist is going to order Physical Therapy so shecan get some strength in her legs AND to help with the fluid retention in her legs and arm (the one without the lymph nodes where they took her breast). So.....please keep praying for those who pray! I reallyappreciate it!debby

Debby,

As always your mom is in my thoughts and prayers. I really hope she does start feeling better soon.

Bethanne

Tex Pueschel <tdcc2000@...> wrote:

Debby,

Sorry to hear about your mom being still in the hospital. Hopefully, soon

she would improve enough to go home. We will include both you and your mom

in our prayers.

aumesh

-----------

debby,

I dread the day I have to deal with my mom's deteriorating health, forget serious illness. My dad died in sept 97, he had been very ill for about a year, all his organs were gone and his mind was perfect. It was really difficult, my mother told me he had talked to their priest & Dr. & planned to go home from the SNF on hospice, as soon as a bunch of family birthdays, anniversaries and events were over, she asked me not to tell my brothers & sisters which is a horrible burden, on the one hand they deserve to know, on the other I wanted to respect my fathers & mothers request. he didn't make it that long, he decided to do it when my older sister Joanne who he trusted was visiting. It was of course incredibly difficult on her. She of course had no idea but he trusted her to support my mother. There is nothing that prepares us for the death of a parent. He went home on hospice with the knowledge that it would be a fairly short time because he refused dialysis. My thoughts are with you. It's OK to be scared. Let yourself be.

Take care, Patty

-----Original Message-----From: Tex Pueschel [mailto:tdcc2000@...]Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2002 11:35 PM Subject: Re: [ ] update on my Mom

Thanks Patty...I am just scared. She is 78 but I love her so dearly. Heck, she just bought a new car a couple of weeks ago and has only been able to drive it 8 miles! I just want to cry because I feel so bad for her. THanks for caring!

debby

RE: [ ] update on my Mom

Patty

Debby, I know this is an extremely stressful time for you.

I know how difficult it was when my mom was critically ill. Even

then, she wanted to "mother" me and did not want me to overdo, knowing

that when I do too much, I always end up sick, often in the hospital.

Try to take care of yourself. I will pray for your mom. And

I will pray that you will have the physical and emotional strength to deal

with all of the stresses you must be feeling. Take care.

Carol

Tex Pueschel wrote:

Hi...sorry

that I have been absent. I have been so very busy with Mom and her

banking, etc. Mom

is STILL in the hospital. Her O2

saturation was

only 81 tonight with and without O2, so the nurse bumped up

the oxygen.

I don't understand what she did, but she moved some dial from 2

to 3 so I guess

Mom gets more oxygen per sniff! Today, she had her esophagus dialated

this afternoon and tomorrow she is to be seen by a pulumory doctor.

Her oncologist is going to order Physical Therapy so she

can get some strength

in her legs AND to help with the fluid retention in her legs and arm (the

one without the lymph nodes where they took her breast). So.....please

keep praying for those who pray! I really

appreciate it!

debby

• 6 months later...
Guest guest

Hi , I am not sure if age is a factor which motivated your mom's doctor to put things that way - that if she responds to prednisone she could possibly live. I am guessing if maybe tissue regeneration is faster the younger one is. I am 38, and I had stage 3 scarring and put on 40mg prednisone. I responded well and the enzymes were brought to normal within a week. The key is response to the prednisone. If she responds well - and we will all definitely pray she does - she will be fine. Tell her to focus on rest and living and eating well, and the health will return, God Willing, and she can think about work eventually. Good Luck, and Take Care, and say a Big Hi to her for me, aisha [ ] UPDATE on my mom -hello everyonetoday was the big day for diagnosis.... the doc gotthe labs back and called my mom at 8 pm to tell herthe results......My mother has AIH.... she is in stage 3..... she hasstage 2 scarring..... he says if she responds to theprednisone (20mg's beginning tomorrow a.m.) she willhave a chance to live possibly.... mom asked how longand he said he didn't want to discuss time with herover the phone..... terrifying.... can you guys tellme how bad that scarring is? and what stages you arein for scarring and stage in the disease as well.....the good and bad news please...... i have a feelingthis prednisone will knock her down pretty bad.....she was on a pred. drip for a weekend or so for her MSwhich she was out for quite some time.... she wants towork so badly.... she wants to live so badly.....hopefully her strength will prevail.... :)talk to you all soon.... i pray for you all....courtneyMother dx with AIH august 2, 2002__________________________________________________

Guest guest

Ruth, From what I read in Dr Palmer's book which Harper and others recommended, fibrosis is the beginning stage of scarring, but cirrhosis is irreversible scarring. And while bloodwork may indicate cirrhosis, an actual biopsy will determine cirrhosis because the liver tissue is then described as "rock hard and nodular". It seems then that any stage of fibrosis is still pre-cirrhosis. With mine, one segment of the liver was stage 3, and another was stage 4, but my hepatologist said I caught it in time, any further delay would have been cirrhosis and possible need for transplant. aisha Re: [ ] UPDATE on my mom I'm curious, I was told I have mayo stage 4 biopsy and a grade 2 inflamation, and I responded quickly to the predisone. Does anyone know how to tell if someone has cirrhosis by the stage they are in? I don't understand how they determine the level of scarring. Ruth courtney hockett wrote: -hello everyonetoday was the big day for diagnosis.... the doc gotthe labs back and called my mom at 8 pm to tell herthe results...... My mother has AIH.... she is in stage 3..... she hasstage 2 scarring..... he says if she responds to theprednisone (20mg's beginning tomorrow a.m.) she willhave a chance to live possibly.... mom asked how longand he said he didn't want to discuss time with herover the phone..... terrifying.... can you guys tellme how bad that scarring is? and what stages you arein for scarring and stage in the disease as well.....the good and bad news please...... i have a feelingthis prednisone will knock her down pretty bad.....she was on a pred. drip for a weekend or so for her MSwhich she was out for quite some time.... she wants towork so badly.... she wants to live so badly.....hopefully her strength will prevail.... :) talk to you all soon.... i pray for you all.... courtneyMother dx with AIH august 2, 2002__________________________________________________

• 2 weeks later...

:

I have been on Imuran only since January 2000. Have been on since 1997 and have had no side effects from it. I am on 100 mg a day but one day we will try and go to 50 mg but my doctor at the Mayo Clinic does not want to upset the apple cart as he says.

Hope your mother is doing better. Just let her know that she has to listen to her body when she is tired....

Sue/WI

Dear :

I've been on Imuran for about a month now and haven't had any

sideeffects that I'm aware of. My side effects seem to be from the

prednisone. I know some people here have had bad side effects from

it and couldn't tolerate it though.

Thanks,

Rhonda

> hello all

> my mom called last night and told me she got her

> bloodwork results back from the other day..... she has

> been on her meds for about a week and a half or

> so...... according to her doc, 'her levels have

> dropped significantly' wow, sounds too good to be

> true! could it be? *pinch me!* also, she wanted me to

> ask you guys about imuran and the side affects......

> thanks for being there for me through all of this.....

> it's so difficult sometimes to think about things

> courtney

>

> __________________________________________________

>

• 4 years later...

Hi All,

Well, my mom is still not moving her limbs that much, but she is

gaining strength daily. Over the weekend she was in a lot of pain.

Today she is moving to a skilled nursing home where they will give

her OT and PT daily. When she is strong enough to do 3 hours of

therapy a day, she'll probably go to an aggressive rehab center for

a few months. She is pretty depressed, as any of us would be if we

were facing such a long recovery. I'm hoping that once the pain

subsides I can convince her and my brothers to start some natural

remedies for her (thanks to those who've given me some ideas). Right

now she is on a pretty strong pain killer because the pain is really

unbearable. This should only last a week or so longer, though, as

the virus is starting to leave her body.

In the meantime, I am going to make some kefir and sprout some seeds,

pull together some raw fruits and veggies and of course make my

famous potato soup (grin) and bring that to the nursing home this week.

Keep sending your best thoughts and prayers her way, please!

Love to all,

Rose

drday.com is fabulous and has great videos....she advocatres raw

foods and also fresh juices.

Even if no juicer, a blender can make green drinks. I've been doing

these funky ones with coconut water, from the young coconuts I buy

at Asian/oriental market...cheap there...not organic, but oh well,

mixed with fruits such as banana and then always add greens such as

romaine or spring mix.

I know 100% raw is ideal, but most won't do that. However, the

Hallelujah Diet advocates 85% raw and great successes too. I didn't

notice if mom eats animal products, but I would shy away from that

totally.

Sure wish my healthy eating helped with my ongoing teeth challenges.

Hope mom improves minute by minute.

carolg

--- In health , " SV " <shavig@...>

wrote:

>

> I would think grains might aggrevate your mother's condition,

Rose. What she has involves her immune system. She needs to eat

clean, raw foods to boost her ability to fight back. And while your

potato soup is probably delicious (it was my fav growing up) it most

likely has milk in it and she certainly doesn't need milk products

in any shape or form.

>

> Sorry, but that's just my take on immuno diseases. If it were me,

I'd take this opportunity to fast, but I know the " system " probably

would not let her which is sad because that is what her body is

screaming for - rest. Pain indicates something is amiss and the

body is trying to repair itself, but we keep shoveling things into

the body to try and " heal " it. Nothing, absolutely nothing we put

in our mouth will " heal " anything. Only our body can heal itself

and it needs rest, sunshine, fresh air, clean water and if you have

to eat - raw fruits, vegetables and greens.

>

> Shari

Nope, I am not confused, I just agree.

Janet

Sent: Tuesday, February 13, 2007

10:50 PM

health

Subject: Re:

Update on my mom

Hi Janet,

I believe your confusing the issue here a little. Actually, the body

does not need fuel to heal itself. This is a misconception our society

has today thanks to the many centuries of people believing that eating

will bring one back into good health. What the body needs when injured

or during illness is physiological rest in order to heal itself. Eating

only ties up needed vital energy that could be better used in helping

with the healing. Fasting, or a physiological rest, will allow the body

to heal much more quickly than eating ever will. Physiological rest

means just that. No eating, no moving around unless absolutely

necessary. Drinking pure water and staying calm and warm. History is

full of people who were fed into worse health or even death by well

meaning family, friends and medicos.

Fasting is not the same as never having to eat. Not even in the same

ballpark. All dis-eases, are a healing process and eating while sick

works just the same way as do medicines, herbs, etc., it stops all the

symptoms of healing. It does this by removing the vital energy the body

is using for the cleansing to utilize it for digestion. Now the

cleansing stops as there is insufficient vital energy to continue on

with the cleanse. People who are sick or injured are already low on

vital energy, otherwise they wouldn't be sick or injured. This is why

people believe that eating makes you better. It actually stops the

healing crisis that is going on and drives the toxic wastes deeper into

the tissues where they will be harder to get rid of and more likely to

create a worse dis-ease in the future.

I know this is not something taught by modern medicine and probably

won't be for quite some time yet. However, all creatures in nature fast

when ill or injured. This is one of Nature's Laws and man is just as

subject to the laws of nature as is the armadillo, bear, ostrich, snake,

etc.

Just my take on it.

Don

Janet Hamilton wrote:

>

> I am sorry to disagree here Shari. The

body needs fuel to heal

> itself, otherwise we would not need to eat ever.

>

>

>

> Janet

>

>

>

> ----------------------------------------------------------

>

> *From:* health

> [mailto:health ]

*On Behalf Of *SV

> *Sent:* Tuesday, February 13, 2007 8:27 AM

> *To:* health

> *Subject:* Re: Update on my mom

>

>

>

> I would think grains might aggrevate your mother's condition, Rose.

> What she has involves her immune system. She needs to eat clean, raw

> foods to boost her ability to fight back. And while your potato soup

> is probably delicious (it was my fav growing up) it most likely has

> milk in it and she certainly doesn't need milk products in any shape

> or form.

>

>

>

> Sorry, but that's just my take on immuno diseases. If it were me, I'd

> take this opportunity to fast, but I know the " system " probably

would

> not let her which is sad because that is what her body is screaming

> for - rest. Pain indicates something is amiss and the body is trying

> to repair itself, but we keep shoveling things into the body to try

> and " heal " it. Nothing, absolutely nothing we put in our mouth

will

> " heal " anything. Only our body can heal itself and it needs

rest,

> sunshine, fresh air, clean water and if you have to eat - raw fruits,

> vegetables and greens.

>

>

>

> Shari

>

>

• 3 months later...
Guest guest

I'm sorry, I forgot that you mentioned your mother takes Fosamax. If Fosamax

doesn't work well for her, there are alternatives. If she has pain when she

takes Fosamax, she must stop it immediately and tell her doctor.

Other people can tell you about PBC. My knowledge of AIH is limited; for PBC

it's even more limited.

You say you were Googling on the subject. If you Google Unnithan V

Raghuraman autoimmune hepatitis, I think you'll pull up one of my favorite

articles on

AIH.

Harper

See what's free at

http://www.aol.com.

Guest guest

Hi Cyndi,

It is important that your mom discuss her nausea with her doctor

and not stop the meds on her own. The doctor might need to readjust

them. Or maybe the nausea resulted from the pain meds she was taking

for the fractured pelvis.

The treatment for PBC is quite different than that for AIH. PBC

patients generally take Urso and AIH patients generally take

Prednisone and an Immunosuppressant. Did your mom have a biopsy when

she was diagnosed? I think the biopsy should have distinguished

between the two.

I would highly recommend a hepatologist over a Gastro, due to my

own experience, although occasionally I hear of a Gastro who is quite

knowledgeable about AIH. Hepatologists have extra training and

specialize in the liver, while Gastros deal with all the organs of

the GI system. Hepatologists are generally found at teaching

hospitals associated with medical schools. Isn't there a Indiana

University Medical Center in Indianapolis? Maybe you could start

there if you don't have any other recommendations.

I hope your mom will feel better soon.

Sharon

Guest guest

Hi,

maybe your Mother is suffering from corticosteroid withdrawal

symptoms?

Reducing the dose and stopping Prednisone causes many people real

withdrawal symptoms, especially to those who have been taking

more than the body's natural production of about 7,5mg/day for a

long period of time. That is why long term use should always be

stopped gradually, by reducing the dose step by step.

Also, stopping abruptly can cause a life threatening condition as

the body's own corticosteroid production is not working properly.

The withdrawal symptoms include weakness, fatigue, decreased

appetite, weight loss, *nausea, vomiting,* diarrhea, abdominal

pain, joint pain, muscle aches, fever, mental changes, dizziness.

I've just recently (hopefully) got off Prednisone, and it took me

the best part of the spring to get there. Most of the time I felt

absolutely miserable. I had already tried before, last summer, as

my liver values have been good for quite a while now. I didn't

succeed then, as at 2,5mg I felt so ill that the experiment had

to be postponed and I went back to 5mg (even though my liver

values remained fine all the time). I certainly felt very

nauseous most of the time, both back then and again this spring.

In any case, your mother definitely should not stop taking her

medication just like that. Unfortunately Mothers can be rather

stubborn at times, especially in matters concerning their

well-being - at least mine can. Even getting her to see a doctor

involves literally months of planning and hours of reasoning...

Jaana

12.6.2007 5:09, cyndellus kirjoitti:

>

>

> Hi everyone,

>

> Well it's been a year since my Mom (age 71) was diagnosed with

> AIH...and I am hoping to pick your brains again with a few

> questions. I apologize, but maybe one of you can help.

>

> She has been doing well on Prednisone & Mercaptopur but now has

> tapered off the Pred and is naseous...today she didn't take any meds

> at all and said she felt better. This seems dangerous! Are there

> other meds she should try?

>

> She is also on Fosomax and had to take Tylenol with Codeine recently

> for a fractured pelvis.

>

> She needs to change doctors. Shouldn't she see a Hepatologist

> rather than a Gastroenterologist?

>

> How would I find a good liver doctor in Indianapolis?

>

> Lastly, I was googling, and came across PBC info? What if my Mom was

> misdiagnosed and had that? Would it matter?

>

> Any help is appreciated,

> Cyndi