RemedySpot.com

Microbe Obesity

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Microbe Obesity? Or How Bad Bacteria May Make You Fat! by Vicki Koenig, MS, RD, CDN from Stonyfarm Why are Americans so overweight? It may be due to the bacteria in our intestines. Treatment of obesity may someday include altering your intestinal bacteria. Ever notice how some people can eat anything and not gain weight, while others eat small amounts and still gain? It may have to do with their intestinal microorganisms; good and bad. There is new research suggesting just this. Scientists are seeing how bacteria can alter carbohydrate metabolism and how that impacts how calories are absorbed. No wonder yogurt is always thought of

as a good diet food! Probiotics (beneficial cultures in yogurt) help suppress bad bacteria.Two aspects to how bacteria can affect our energy balance. Bacteria help us absorb nutrients from our food. There are certain microbes and viruses that seem to make people absorb more calories. Inulin as a prebiotic increases the growth of the probiotics especially Bifidobacteria. With more probiotics, there are potentially fewer microbes. Inulin as a fiber encourages the production of an intestinal protein or peptide that communicates to the brain, which then tells us to stop eating. Microbesity? Microbe obesity does not mean fat bacteria but can mean bacteria that make you fat. In August 2006, the cover story for the New York Times Magazine was on “Microbesity?” This article describes the research being done around the U.S. on a microbial theory of obesity. Preliminary research shows that fat mice have a different balance of bacteria than lean mice. Humans are known to have the same kind of bacteria present. The presence of a common virus has been shown to be associated with obesity in lab animals and new research may suggest the same in humans. Over time, relatively minor differences in bacterial content may predispose some individuals to obesity. Researchers are beginning to study the bacterial makeup in humans but future treatment strategies are not known yet. The Difference with Inulin

Inulin plays a unique role because it’s a fiber and a prebiotic. Inulin alters the carbohydrate metabolism while it changes the bacterial make-up in the gut. At a conference on inulin held at the Harvard Medical School in September 2006, experimental data was presented. Research shows that the special kind of inulin that Stonyfield Farm uses in its yogurt can improve glucose tolerance, fasting blood glucose, with reduced body weight gain. Inulin contributes to a feeling of satiety, meaning you’re satisfied enough to stop eating. Preliminary human studies show that inulin-supplemented diets lowered total food intake by about 10% in healthy volunteers. Inulin stimulates creation of gut peptides, associated with an enhanced ability to handle carbohydrates for a period of time after eating the inulin. Most studies have been done with animals but a few human studies are showing

promising results. Applying the Science? It’s not known yet how this science will get boiled down to recommendations to help us lose weight. In the meantime, looking for the perfect diet food? How about Stonyfield Farm yogurt? It’s high in dairy calcium, known to help with weight loss. It’s a good source of whey protein which helps maintain lean muscle tissue. It’s got 6 live active cultures to help suppress harmful bacteria. And it contains inulin which helps optimize carbohydrate metabolism while providing satiety. Stonyfield Farm yogurt as part of a healthy diet can help you to lose weight. References: HENIG, RM, Fat Factors. The New York Times Magazine. August 13, 2006 (must subscribe to publication to view article) Bäckhed, Fredrik: The gut microbiota as an environmental factor that regulates fat storage. 2004 Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. Ley, RE, et al: Obesity alters gut microbial ecology. 2005 Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. Kolakowski, Nick: The Obesity Virus? Researchers Suggest Viral Infection May Cause Obesity. DOC News. January 1, 2005 Delzenne, Nathalie, et al: Impact of inulin and oligofructose on gastrointestinal peptides. British Journal of Nutrition: Volume 093 April 2005, pp S157-S161. NM Delzenne and PD Cani: Oligofructose promotes satiety in healthy human: a pilot study. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition (2006) 60,

567–572. Suzi What is a weed? A plant whose virtues have not yet been discovered. health/ http://suziesgoats.wholefoodfarmacy.com/ http://360./suziesgoats

No need to miss a message. Get email on-the-go with for Mobile. Get started.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest guest

I really enjoyed the information in this article on Microbe Obesity. But

I am sorry that the only recommendations for a source of useful inulin

is Stoneyfield's yogurt. I would like to know what sets their inulin

apart, which is what they claim. And I would like to know from which

source they derive the inulin which they use.

TerriLynne

Guest guest

I guess that would be a good

question for Stonyfield. It’s probably an

extract of something. I realize people

recommend the isolated/extracts to get certain nutrients, but I would rather go

with whole foods – you can get inulin –

naturally occurring – in bananas, onions, garlic and wheat.

Carol

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Posted by: " TerriLynne "

terri_lynne@...

I really enjoyed the

information in this article on Microbe Obesity. But

I am sorry that the only recommendations for a source of useful inulin

is Stoneyfield's

yogurt. I would like to know what sets their inulin

apart, which is what they claim. And I would like to

know from which

source they derive the inulin

which they use.

Guest guest

Terri, They do make a quality product, not to say there aren't others out there... If you go to their website http://www.stonyfield.com/Wellness/HealthandNutritionGuide.cfm there is an article on insulin also there. there is alot of info on other things too. As for the sources on that article References: HENIG, RM, Fat Factors. The New York Times Magazine. August 13, 2006 (must subscribe to publication to view article) Bäckhed, Fredrik: The gut microbiota as an environmental factor that regulates fat

storage. 2004 Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. Ley, RE, et al: Obesity alters gut microbial ecology. 2005 Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. Kolakowski, Nick: The Obesity Virus? Researchers Suggest Viral Infection May Cause Obesity. DOC News. January 1, 2005 Delzenne, Nathalie, et al: Impact of inulin and oligofructose on gastrointestinal peptides. British Journal of Nutrition: Volume 093

April 2005, pp S157-S161. NM Delzenne and PD Cani: Oligofructose promotes satiety in healthy human: a pilot study. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition (2006) 60, 567–572. TerriLynne <terri_lynne@...> wrote: I really enjoyed the information in this article on Microbe Obesity. ButI am sorry that the only recommendations for a source of useful inulinis Stoneyfield's yogurt. I would like to know what sets their inulinapart, which is what they claim. And I would like to know from whichsource they derive the inulin which they use. Suzi What is a weed? A plant whose virtues have not yet been discovered. health/ http://suziesgoats.wholefoodfarmacy.com/ http://360./suziesgoats

Expecting? Get great news right away with email Auto-Check.Try the Beta.