RemedySpot.com

Fenugreek

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Fenugreek: From ancient times through the late 19th century, fenugreek played a major role in herbal healing but its use fell aside until recently. Modern scientific research has found that fenugreek can help reduce cholesterol levels, control diabetes and minimize the symptoms of menopause. The ancient Greeks fed this herb to horses and cattle. The Romans then started using it, too, calling it "Greek hay." As fenugreek spread around the ancient Mediterranean, physicians learned that its seeds, contain a substance called mucilage. Mixed with water, mucilage expands and becomes a gelatinous soother for irritated tissues. In American folk medicine, fenugreek was considered a potent medicine to bring on menstruation and associated discomforts. Scientists have

reported that fenugreek seeds do contain the chemicals diosgenin and estrogenic isoflavones which are similar to estrogen. Fenugreek minimizes symptoms of menopause, relieves constipation, controls diabetes, reduces cholesterol, soothes sore throat pain and coughs, eases minor indigestion, and relieves diarrhea. Fenugreek is an annual and grows up to 16 inches tall. It has yellow-white flowers with a strong fragrance which bloom in May and June. To make a medicinal tea, gently boil two teaspoons of mashed seeds per cup of water, then simmer for ten minutes. Drink up to three cups a day. Fenugreek tastes like bitter celery with maple syrup and has been used as a maple flavoring agent. To improve the flavor, you can add your favorite

sweetener, lemon, anise or mint. Dosage of a decoction should be up to three cups daily, or a tincture of 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon up to three times daily. Fenugreek is considered safe however, it should not be used by pregnant women since it is considered a uterine stimulant. Externally Fenugreek is used as a compress or in a facial steam. It cleanses oily skin, minimizing blemishes and also strengthens the scalp when used on the hair. Suzi What is a weed? A plant whose

virtues have not yet been discovered. health/ http://suziesgoats.wholefoodfarmacy.com/ http://360./suziesgoats

Get the toolbar and be alerted to new email wherever you're surfing.

Guest guest

Suzanne, do you have specific instructions for using Fenugreek as a breastmilk booster? I found one website that has some info, but I was curious if you had anything.

Jan G.

La Leche League Leader

Guest guest

This is all I have on it... http://www.babycenter.com/expert/baby/babybreastfeed/8880.html Mothers generally notice an increase in production 24-72 hours after starting the herb, but it can take two weeks for others to see a change. Dosages of less than 6 capsules/day (approx 3500 mg/day) produce no effect in many women. One way to determine if you're taking the correct dosage is to slowly increase the amount of fenugreek until your sweat and urine begin to smell like maple syrup. If you're having problems with any side effects, discontinue use and consider alternative methods of increasing milk supply. Fenugreek can be used either short-term to boost milk supply or long-term to augment

supply and/or pumping yields. There are no studies indicating problems with long-term usage. Per Kathleen Huggins "Most mothers have found that the herb can be discontinued once milk production is stimulated to an appropriate level. Adequate production is usually maintained as long as sufficient breast stimulation and emptying continues" [Huggins]. Suggested dosage capsules(580-610 mg) 2-4 capsules, 3 times per day 6-12 capsules (total) per day ~1200-2400 mg, 3 times per day (3.5-7.3 grams/day) German Commission E recommends a daily intake of 6 grams capsules(500 mg) 7-14 capsules (total) per day powder or seeds 1/2 - 1 teaspoon, 3 times per day 1 capsule = 1/4 teaspoon can be mixed with a little water or juice tincture 1-2 mL, 3 times per day (or see package directions) tea one cup of tea, 2-3 times per day Fenungreek has been used sucsessfully for years to increase supply, although there is some question as to how much is passed into the milk supply. It is usually

recommended by lactation consultants. Fenungreek can lower blood sugar in some people (it did for me, not something I needed) and may incidentally have that affect in the baby. You generally have to take quite a lot of it also. I believe you start out around 6 pills a day and it's suggested to 'take enough until you start to smell like it' and you will smell like it : Fenugreek (Ritornello foenum-graecum) - Traditionally very popular. Don't be surprised, fenugreek will make your sweat and urine smell like maple syrup! To use simmer 1 1/2 teaspoons of seed per cup of water for 10 minutes and drink 3 cups a day. Jan <jgonz@...> wrote: Suzanne, do you have specific instructions for

using Fenugreek as a breastmilk booster? I found one website that has some info, but I was curious if you had anything. Jan G. La Leche League Leader Suzi What is a weed? A plant whose virtues have not yet been

discovered. health/ http://suziesgoats.wholefoodfarmacy.com/ http://360./suziesgoats

Be a better Globetrotter. Get better travel answers from someone who knows. Answers - Check it out.

Guest guest

traditonal medicinals has a tea.Jan <jgonz@...> wrote: Suzanne, do you have specific instructions for using Fenugreek as a breastmilk booster? I found one website that has some info, but I was curious if you had anything. Jan G. La Leche League Leader ~*~ love, light, and Goddess kisses ~*~ Angie

Take the Internet to Go: Go puts the Internet in your pocket: mail, news, photos more.

Guest guest

Angie, I know about the Mother's Milk Tea and recommend it also, Thanks. :-)

Suzi, that babycenter site was the one I had too. ;-) I guess I'll go with those "dosages"... I usually tell the mom who's having issues to experiment because everyone's body is different, though, so those would be approximate, IMO.

Thank you everyone who responded!

Jan G.

La Leche League Leader