RemedySpot.com

tossing stuff

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Our possessions and our income does not define who we are.

Since I"ve been on my tossing marathon and talked to people about having stuff, I have concluded there are different reasons why people hold onto stuff. I have a friend who is broke and a major hoarder and she said she's afraid to throw things away because someday she might need it. Now she hasn't used this stuff in 20 yrs. but fear of "maybe" is keeping her from making a move to the dumpster.

I agree many people feel their stuff gives them value, especially new stuff. But the "stuff" I"m talking about is the kind people have in storage, in closets and basements, never really using it or looking at (old momentos, boxes of pictures, gifts they were given that they never used, clothes that no longer fit, grade school drawings of their kid who is now 47 etc.) and is just there weighing down their lives, maybe not even consciously.

I love the stories of some of the old spiritual gurus in India who no one knows anything about. They say "that was then and this is now, so why talk about what's over"?

Trying to bring my life up to the present and starting with my house....

Gloria

************************************** See what's free at http://www.aol.com.

Guest guest

Oh please! Do tell your friend to give the stuff to her kids/grandkids now!!! My mom died with stuff for us and I really don't want it, but can't bring myself to toss it. I plan to have minimal crap when I die. Probably a lot of fabric, but that's easy to get rid of just call one of my sewing buddies!

I get so angry with my mother for "saving" this s#$% for me! It makes me crazy. Sometimes I give it to my brother, he rented a storage shed to house all the garbage he felt he "needed" from mom's house. I walked away from most everything that wasn't on "my list" as opposed to "his list" that mom made years before she died. She never consulted us, however about what was and wasn't on the list.

My kids know I'm getting rid of stuff from time to time and if they want it to speak up.

As far as saving for something, if it isn't used or worn in a year, get rid of it. That's the timeline I've learned from most de-clutterers.

Having said that, I'm off to my quilt class to see what's new in the spring fabric line!!! Just kidding, I'm getting one new square and it's already been cut and is waiting for me to assemble.

Shari

Guest guest

"We give the meaning to this stuff but really we don't need it, so why hold onto it?"

Because in our society people think they are defined or their worth is defined by their "stuff". The more stuff you have the richer you are and they in turn think they are happier and better than other people. I know my in laws are thought to be very happy and very wealthy because they buy whatever they want whenever they want. You know what? I have discovered by listening and watching they are both (brother & sister in laws) very unhappy and very afraid and very ill (physically). Hmmm..............we on the other hand have a very strong marriage, good health, and not much money or stuff! That doesn't mean you can't be happy or healthy and be wealthy, but for the most part ...................................................................................................wait for it, here it comes.................................................

money can't buy you happiness!!

Seriously, I've had money and lots of stuff and I'm still the same person now with minimal stuff and less money. Our possessions and our income does not define who we are. Too bad Madison Avenue would like you to believe otherwise.

Shari