RemedySpot.com

Re: teeth talk..

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

I am TERRIFIED of dentists!!

This brings up something I'm curious about. Why are you afraid of dentists? I've heard that from other people too. When I was a kid 50 yrs. ago a visit to the dentist equaled pain, but that isn't the case anymore. Dental work is pretty painless these says...even major stuff. Is it a fear that comes from experiences years ago?

Vicodin. Hate the stuff. I took it once for an abcess. The room started melting, I couldn't stand up and I passed out for 8 hrs. I'd have to be in some serious pain before I'd take that stuff again.

Hope you're healing up well, . It's pretty amazing how fast even the kind of surgery you just had heals though. Just chomp on a couple pounds of African Bird pepper and you'll be fine ;-).

What film are you in? What's it about?

Gloria

************************************** See what's free at http://www.aol.com.

Guest guest

continually tell me it does not hurt when I know for a fact it DOES is not to be taken lightly.

I'm sorry about your experiences, Gayla. I was terrified of dentists when I was little. As an adult I have been to 4 different dentists and had root canals, teeth pulled (3 at once), impacted teeth that broke and had to be dug out, and tons of other dental work done....all with just novocaine. I can honestly say I haven't felt any pain during the procedures. The anticipation was worse than the reality. I think dentistry has come a looong way since those butchers I went to when I was growing up. In fact the last time I had a root canal (using novocaine) I fell asleep in the dentist's chair.

Gloria

Guest guest

In my case is not really the pain that I may suffer in a dentist appointment, but the equipment around, including the chair, the personality of the dentist and the assistant, the side effects from the anesthesia and all the other chemicals used in filling, etc.

Yes, for me the atmosphere gets me more nervous than the actual work being done. I recently had 3 teeth pulled all at once. The dental hygienist was sooo nice and explained it was going to be fine and really had me relaxed. I had been a nervous wreck for 3 wks. knowing this was coming. I got some novocaine, he pulled the 3 teeth so fast I was amazed. I felt NOTHING! The fear is in my head and the reality has never matched it.

Gloria

Guest guest

I also am terrified of dentists. Any group of people who can continually tell me it does not hurt when I know for a fact it DOES is not to be taken lightly.

Maybe times have changed. Maybe I know enough to let them know my teeth are hard to deaden. But I know for a fact they are perfectly capable of administering excruciating pain to me. They know it too and some simply do not care. A couple of years ago DH had to get a tooth extracted. The dentist gave him a light shot and had to hammer the tooth into pieces to extract it. When he came home his eyes looked like he had lived in Auschwitz.

Dental work is not painless by a long shot.

Gayla Always Enough RanchAcampo, Californiahttp://bouncinghoofs.com/alwaysenough.htmlBill Barnhill is our Inspiration! Go Bill!!!aeranch@...

Re: Re: teeth talk..

I am TERRIFIED of dentists!!This brings up something I'm curious about. Why are you afraid of dentists? I've heard that from other people too. When I was a kid 50 yrs. ago a visit to the dentist equaled pain, but that isn't the case anymore. Dental work is pretty painless these says...even major stuff. Is it a fear that comes from experiences years ago?Vicodin. Hate the stuff. I took it once for an abcess. The room started melting, I couldn't stand up and I passed out for 8 hrs. I'd have to be in some serious pain before I'd take that stuff again.Hope you're healing up well, . It's pretty amazing how fast even the kind of surgery you just had heals though. Just chomp on a couple pounds of African Bird pepper and you'll be fine ;-).What film are you in? What's it about?Gloria

**************************************See what's free at http://www.aol.com.

Guest guest

In my case is not really the pain that I may suffer in a dentist appointment, but the equipment around, including the chair, the personality of the dentist and the assistant, the side effects from the anesthesia and all the other chemicals used in filling, etc.

For me this is a terrifying experience, a major event. If the people are nice, friendly, compassionate, and they let me have at least a little bit of control of the situation, I can feel a little less terrified.

How nice would be that teeth would grow like hair and nails and we just would have to eat carrots to keep them at the right level.

Tat

Re: Re: teeth talk..

I am TERRIFIED of dentists!!This brings up something I'm curious about. Why are you afraid of dentists? I've heard that from other people too. When I was a kid 50 yrs. ago a visit to the dentist equaled pain, but that isn't the case anymore. Dental work is pretty painless these says...even major stuff. Is it a fear that comes from experiences years ago?Vicodin. Hate the stuff. I took it once for an abcess. The room started melting, I couldn't stand up and I passed out for 8 hrs. I'd have to be in some serious pain before I'd take that stuff again.Hope you're healing up well, . It's pretty amazing how fast even the kind of surgery you just had heals though. Just chomp on a couple pounds of African Bird pepper and you'll be fine ;-).What film are you in? What's it about?Gloria

**************************************See what's free at http://www.aol.com.

Guest guest

Morning, Gloria (remember that song?)

Though all the dentistry I've had as an adult has been very

encouraging, when I was a kid it was a nightmare. I don't know if my

mom couldn't afford decent dentists or if memory has jaded, but as I

recall, there was little or no anesthesia, and a major amount of

screaming.

Most of my teeth are filled. I think only 4 aren't. And that was all

done before I hit puberty.

**When you were 17?**

Hush Guido!! No one is supposed to know that!

Speaking of peppers, I actually am using my home-made ceyanne to help

deaden the pain. I make a paste of it with olive oil and put it on

the stiched up area. It may not help much, but I sure love it!

Oh, the film. Well, it is an indipendant (sp?) short film to be

entered in a film festival contest in Sacramento CA. The winner gets

25 grand.

It is a modern dynamic re-interpretation of the book of Hosea from

the Bible. It is about a pastor that is called by God to do something

that others think is wrong.

I have the lead/starring role as the pastor. It's literally a dream

come true for me. I've starred in training videos for work and stuff,

but this is a major film. And this film stands or falls on my

performance.

No pressure!!

Anyway, I'm recovering wonderfully! Work yesterday was like a tonic,

just what I needed (I LOVE work!!) and I feel like my old self again.

And my family has been, and still is so supportive.

Ah, the story of my life.

Have a GREAT day, Gloria, and all of you HAWK-ers.

Peace, love, laughter

Q: You've been having trouble going to sleep. Are you probably a man

or a woman?

A: Don Knotts: That's what's been keeping me awake.

--- In health , MorningGlory113@...

wrote:

>

>

> > I am TERRIFIED of dentists!!

>

> This brings up something I'm curious about. Why are you afraid of

dentists?

> I've heard that from other people too.

Guest guest

Y'see, that's the thing. The anticipation. That's what gets me.

I ALWAYS watch Steve 's scene from Little Shop Of Horrors, where

he is a dentist, before I go in. It sure helps.

Peace, love, laughter

Q: What are " Do It " , " I Can Help " and " Can't Get it. " ?

A: Gobel: I don't know but it's come from the next apartment.

>

The fear is in my

> head and the reality has never matched it.

>

> Gloria

Guest guest

I

Though all the dentistry I've had as an adult has been very

encouraging, when I was a kid it was a nightmare.

I think with most people over 40, the memories of painful dental care is why they are afraid of dentists now. It has come a looong way. I avoided dentists for many years and when I finally HAD to go (kicking and screaming) I found it was nothing like the horrors I experienced when I was a kid.

I always get novocaine for drilling etc.. Always. Never got it as a kid. I once asked my current dentist why the dentists-from-hell didn't give me a shot when I was little and he said novocaine was in it's infant stages back then, not pure and they had fatalities from it, so giving it wasn't normal practice like it is today. Even now I don't enjoy going to the dentist but I am not scared to death like I used to be. The procedures I've had done in the past 15-20 yrs. have been virtually painless (until the novocaine wears off!). I think kids growing up now are going to have better teeth than we do because going to the dentist isn't dreaded like it was when we were young.

For any dental pain, try clove oil. Numbs the area and works really well.

Gloria