RemedySpot.com

Truth about Agave Syrup

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

The Truth about Agave Syrup:Not as Healthy as You May Think (from Raw Gourmet)by KohlerA relatively recent trend in raw food preparation is the use ofagave syrup (also called agave nectar) as a sweetener in raw recipes. I am often asked about my views on this sweetener.When I first switched to a raw food diet in 1995, agave syrup wasunknown and was NOT USED IN RAW FOODS! I first learned about agavesyrup back in 1999 or 2000 at a trade show for the health foodindustry, which I attend regularly to keep up with the latest inthe health and nutrition field. I asked several questions, gotsome samples, and inquired on how the company processed the agavesyrup. At that time, I learned that it was processed at roughly140 to 160 degrees Fahrenheit, so I certainly didn't consider it araw food by any means. Just like agave, some people consider maplesyrup a raw

food, but all maple syrup is heat-treated and istherefore not raw at all. Unfortunately, there are no "raw labeling laws." Anyone, anywhere,at any time can put "RAW" on their label and to them it can besupposedly raw since it is made from a "raw" material or simply notroasted. Just because it says "RAW" doesn't necessarily mean thatit was processed at a temperature under 118 degrees and still hasall its enzymes, nutrients, and "life force" intact. For example,when you notice the difference between raw carob powder and roastedcarob powder in the store, it is my understanding that the "raw"carob powder has been heated to about 250 degrees, whereas the"roasted" carob powder has been heated to about 450 degrees. Theadditional heat applied to the "roasted" carob powder causes thecarob to "carmelize," thus making it darker in appearance anddifferent in taste as compared to the "raw" carob powder.

Somestores sell "truly raw" carob powder, it has a more chalk-liketexture than supposedly "raw" carob powder. There are several raw food snack bars that say "RAW" but haveingredients like cooked cocoa powder (that can't be raw) andcashew nuts (most of which are not truly raw).Let's suppose for arguments sake, and to give agave the benefit ofthe doubt, that even with "new" technology companies are somehowable to process agave syrup below 118 degrees so it could beconsidered actually "raw". We still need to ask the question, isit good for us? Some foods, even if they truthfully are raw, maynot actually be HEALTHY. Based on what I have learned about agavesyrup, I believe it to be one of these foods.My answer to the question, "Is agave nectar good for us?" would be"NO" based on my research. Here is a sample of my findings: 1. Agave Syrup is not a "whole"

food. It is a fractionated andprocessed food. Manufacturers take the liquid portion of the agaveplant and "boil" it down, thus concentrating the sugar to make itsweet. This is similar to how maple "sap" that comes directly froma tree is heated and concentrated to make maple "syrup." AgaveSyrup is missing many of the nutrients that the original plant hadto begin with. 2. Agave Syrup was originally used to make tequila. When AgaveSyrup ferments, it literally turns into tequila. The enzymaticactivity therefore MUST be stopped so that the syrup will not turninto tequila in your cupboard. Raw or not, if there is noenzymatic activity, it is certainly not a "live" food. As RawFoodists, we want the enzymes intact. 3. According to my research, there are three major producers ofagave syrup. Some of these companies also have other divisionsthat

make Tequila. For the most part, agave syrup is produced inthe Guadalajara region in Mexico. There are those within theindustry who I have spoken to at various trade shows who say thatsome of the agave syrup is "watered down" with corn syrup in Mexicobefore it is exported to the USA. Why is this done? Most likelybecause Agave Syrup is expensive, and corn syrup is cheap. 4. Agave Syrup is advertised as "low glycemic" and marketedtowards diabetics. It is true, that agave itself is low glycemic. We have to consider why agave syrup is "low glycemic." It is dueto the unusually high concentration of fructose (90%) compared tothe small amount of glucose (10%). Nowhere in nature does

thisratio of fructose to glucose occur naturally. One of the nextclosest foods that contain almost this concentration of glucose tofructose is high fructose corn syrup, which may contain up to 80%fructose. Even though fructose is low on the glycemic index, thereare numerous problems associated with the consumption of fructosein such high concentrations as found in concentrated sweeteners:A. Fructose appears to interfere with copper metabolism. Thiscauses collagen and elastin being unable to form. Collagen andelastin are connective tissue which essentially hold the bodytogether.1 A deficiency in copper can also lead to bonefragility, anemia, defects of the arteries and bone, infertility,high cholesterol levels, heart attacks and ironically enough aninability to control blood sugar levels.2B. Research suggests that fructose actually

promotes diseasemore readily than glucose. This is because glucose is metabolizedby every cell in the body, and fructose must be metabolized by theliver. 3 Tests on animals show that the livers of animals fedlarge amounts of fructose develop fatty deposits and cirrohsis ofthe liver. This is similar to the livers of alcoholics.C. "Pure" isolated fructose contains no enzymes, vitamins orminerals and may rob the body of these nutrients in order toassimilate itself for physiological use.4D. Fructose may contribute to diabetic conditions. It reducesthe sensitivity of insulin receptors. Insulin receptors are theway glucose enters a cell to be metabolized. As a result, the bodyneeds to make more insulin to handle the same amount of glucose.5E. Consumption of fructose has been shown to cause a significantincrease in uric

acid. An increase in uric acid can be anindicator of heart disease.6F. Fructose consumption has been shown to increase blood lacticacid, especially for people with conditions such as diabetes. Extreme elevations may cause metabolic acidosis.7G. Consumption of fructose leads to mineral losses, especiallyexcretions of iron, magnesium, calcium and zinc compared tosubjects fed sucrose.8H. Fructose may cause accelerated aging through oxidativedamage. Scientists found that rats given fructose had morecross-linking changes in the collagen of their skin than othergroups fed glucose. These changes are thought to be markers foraging.9I. Fructose can make you fat! It is metabolized by theliver and converts to fat more easily than any other sugar.Fructose also raises serum triglycerides

(blood fats)significantly.10 5. Agave Syrup and other concentrated sweeteners are addictive,so you end up trading a cooked addiction (eating candy bars orcookies) for a "raw" addiction which is not much better. Eatingconcentrated sweeteners makes it harder to enjoy the sweet foods weshould be eating - whole fresh fruit,,since they don't seem as sweetby comparison. Whole fruits generally contain a much smaller amount of fructosecompared to sucrose and glucose. In addition, fruits containvitamins, minerals, phytonutrients, fiber, and other nutrients. Our bodies are designed to digest a complete "package" of nutritionthat appears in whole, fresh, ripe fruits. Could nature be wrong? For example, it's always better to eat fruits whole or blend themrather than juice them. When you juice fruits you remove the fiberwhich helps to slow down the absorption of the

sugars. Concentratedsweeteners also contain no fiber and have much greaterconcentrations of simple sugars than are found in fresh fruit oreven juices.Now that you have a better understanding about Agave Syrup,hopefully the companies selling "raw" agave won't dupe you. Theyare out to make a buck, which in this case is unfortunately at theexpense of your health. If you are making a "raw" recipe and itdoes require a concentrated sweetener, I have some recommendationsfor some better options to use instead of agave: (Listed in orderof preference.)1. Use ripe fresh fruits. Ripe fruits contain nutrients, fiberand water, a complete package, as nature intended. I find thatripe and organic fruits are usually sweetest.2. Use fresh whole stevia leaves. Stevia is an herb thatactually tastes sweet but contains no sugar. This

herb can be veryhard to find fresh, so I personally grow my own. If fresh leavesare not available, get the whole dried leaves or the whole leafpowder. Avoid the white stevia powder and the stevia liquid dropsas they have been highly processed.3. Use dried fruits. If you need a "syrup" consistency, justsoak the dried fruits in some water and blend them up with the samesoak water. Dates, figs, and prunes are some of the sweetest driedfruits that tend to work well in recipes. Try wet Barhi datesblended with a little water for an amazing maple syrup substitute. Please note: Since there are no raw labeling standards, some driedfruit may be dried at higher than 118 degrees, and thus, not reallyraw. If you want to ensure you are eating really raw dried fruit,it is best do dehydrate it yourself.4. Raw Honey is a concentrated

sweetener, and although notrecommended, in my opinion it is better than agave syrup because itis a whole food and occurs naturally in nature. Of course, honeyis not vegan and that may be a concern for some. I recommendpurchasing local honey from a beekeeper. Other "concentrated sweeteners" that are often seen in raw foodrecipes include:1) Maple Syrup which is not raw and heat processed. If it isnot organic, it may also contain formaldehyde and other toxicchemicals.2) Sucanat or evaporated cane juice is pure dried sugar canejuice. Unfortunetly this is processed at a temperature above 118degrees and therefore can't be considered raw.3) Yacon Syrup is a syrup from the root of the yacon plant inSouth

America. It is, once again, a concentrated sweetenerprocessed at a temperature of up to 140 degrees farenheit.The moral of this article: Eat whole fresh fruits and vegetables,they are always best. Always question processed and concentratedfoods that are not found in nature, even if "raw". Suzi What is a weed? A plant whose virtues have not yet been discovered. health/ http://suziesgoats.wholefoodfarmacy.com/ http://360./suziesgoats

Ahhh...imagining that irresistible "new car" smell? Check out

new cars at Autos.