RemedySpot.com

Lambs Quarter

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Lamb's Quarter with Wild Rice One of my favorite plants to harvest this time of year is Lamb’s Quarter (Chenopodium album). It grows prolifically as a weed at our local CSA farm, and they do not mind at all when I harvest some to take home. As with many of our favorite weeds, Lamb’s Quarter is actually one of the most nutritious plants growing on the farm. It is loaded with vitamins and minerals, especially calcium and potassium. I pick the top leaves and seeds of the plant by breaking the stem about half way down. The leaves can then be taken off the stem and added directly to a salad or to a stir-fry. They cook up much like spinach but with a milder taste that I happen to love. My favorite lamb’s quarter

recipe is this casserole from Joe Tatum’s Wild Foods Field Guide and Cookbook. I’ve modified it slightly for my tastes and ingredients I usually have available. Lamb’s Quarter with Wild Rice 5 cups chopped lambs quarters (leaves and tender stems) ¼ cup melted butter 4 eggs beaten until frothy 2 cups cooked wild rice (I’ve used brown rice too) 1 cup milk 6 green onions 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated 1 tablespoon Tamari ½ tsp. dried thyme, oregano, and rosemary (or 1 ½ tsp. fresh) Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Put the lambs quarters in a saucepan with a small amount of water (maybe 3 tablespoons and add more if needed). Steam until wilted. Combine and mix all ingredients and pour into a greased 2 quart

casserole. Bake uncovered for 35 minutes or until firm. Serve hot. I’m also reading that you can make the seeds into cereal and that cleaned lamb’s quarter roots can be used as a soap substitute. ENJOY! - Suzi What is a weed? A plant whose virtues have not yet been discovered. health/ http://suziesgoats.wholefoodfarmacy.com/ http://360./suziesgoats

Shape in your own image. Join our Network Research Panel today!