RemedySpot.com

Valerian Root

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Valerian Root In Europe, Valerian root is widely used as a sedative and as a treatment for muscle spasms. People use it who have trouble sleeping, who have nervous tension, and restlessness. I have used it for afterbirth pains after childbirth, and recommended it to many people for that purpose. If you are having problems sleeping take several capsules, 1/2 to 1 tsp. of tincture or a cup of valerian tea 30 minutes to 1 hour before bedtime. Bodily Influence: Anesthetic: This herb deadens sensation and reduces painAnti-spasmodic: This herb prevents and relieves spasmsRelaxant: This herb relaxes nerves and muscles; relieves tensionSedative: This herb exerts a quieting, soothing or

tranquilizing effect; sedatives may be local, general, nervous or vascularSoporific: This herb induces sleep Suzi What is a weed? A plant whose virtues have not yet been discovered. health/ http://suziesgoats.wholefoodfarmacy.com/ http://360./suziesgoats

The fish are biting.

Get more visitors on your site using Search Marketing.

• 2 years later...

I can say that I personally had a most unusual reaction while I was taking Valerian Root in liquid based form many years ago.  I experienced an apparent crushed kidney and had profuse bleeding into ;my urine that lasted for weeks.  I had never experienced this phenomena before.  I thought it may be due to crushing effect of adjusting some large patients with anteriors.  But then I had been doing this for years with no ill  effect. I had been taking quite a bit of Valerian Root at the time to control my headaches and stress.

I never did find any research that suggested Valerian Root could hurt the kidneys but I have since stopped taking Valerian just in case. I figured that if NSAID's were hard on  Kidneys perhaps Valerian that does great job of stopping pain may hurt kidneys also.

So I would be leary of Valerian Root from my experience. Schneider DCPDXOn Fri, Sep 4, 2009 at 3:33 PM, rongrice01 <rongrice@...> wrote:

Has anyone heard of Valerian Root damaging kidneys? I had a patient tell me her md went crazy when she told him she was taking it. Not heard this before. What is your word.

Grice, DC

Albany, OR

-- Schneider DC PDX

I don't have a specific citation. If you google you will find the statement "possible liver damage" over and over. Maybe this is the same association as "chiropractic cervical adjustments cause stroke", I don't know. There is one recent study that apparently showed detrimental enzyme disruption which theoretically could lead to liver damage, but personally, If I wanted to use valerian on occasion I would (and have). Would I use it daily? No. But I don't have two martini's every night either :) Seitz, DC Tuality Physicians 730-D SE Oak St Hillsboro, OR 97123 (503)640-3724dcdocbrian@...; From: bluepearl2001@...Date: Sat, 5 Sep 2009 01:07:05 -0400Subject: Re: Valerian Root

Citation for liver damage?

Ann DC

Valerian Root

Has anyone heard of Valerian Root damaging kidneys? I had a patient tell me her md went crazy when she told him she was taking it. Not heard this before. What is your word.

Grice, DC

Albany, OR