• 2 years later...

Hi Carol,

If you take Saventaro, which is processed/standardized Cat's Claw, standard

dose is to take 3 capsules a day for 10 days and then 1 capsule a day after

that.

For non-standardized Cat's Claw (like GNC that I take), there's not much

data to go on. The GNC bottle suggest 1-2 500mg capsules per day. I started

at 1 capsule and ramped up over time to six 500mg capsules per day where I

found relief from PA. Now I take 3-4 capsules per day.

Cat's Claw can interact with blood pressure meds and other things. Check

with your doc/pharmacist before you try it.

-

[ ] Cats Claw

Someone posted about " Cats Claw "

Can you re-post the dosage ..I'm for anything

that may help!

Carol M

Thank you ,,I did check with the DR.

I started with 2 a day ..How did you work it up to 6?

> Hi Carol,

>

> If you take Saventaro, which is processed/standardized Cat's Claw,

> standard

> dose is to take 3 capsules a day for 10 days and then 1 capsule a day

> after

> that.

>

> For non-standardized Cat's Claw (like GNC that I take), there's not much

> data to go on. The GNC bottle suggest 1-2 500mg capsules per day. I

> started

> at 1 capsule and ramped up over time to six 500mg capsules per day where I

> found relief from PA. Now I take 3-4 capsules per day.

>

> Cat's Claw can interact with blood pressure meds and other things. Check

> with your doc/pharmacist before you try it.

>

> -

Hi Carol,

I wasn't systematic about moving up to 6 capsules. I had tried 2 for the

first month to six weeks and it wasn't cutting it (I was using Mobic and

occasional Tylenol for the inflammation during that time) so I read more

online and saw some articles mentioning using up to 8 or 10 grams per day

for therapeutic usage and decided to bump it up. I don't recall exactly, but

something like trying 3 for a few days, then 4 for a few days, etc.

Hint: Take Cat's Claw between/away from meals so you can fully digest it and

get all the benefits.

Re: [ ] Cats Claw

Thank you ,,I did check with the DR.

I started with 2 a day ..How did you work it up to 6?

I'm on Mobic Too!

And 2 a day is not helping .I think I'll bump up soon..Thanks for the help

Carol

> Hi Carol,

>

> I wasn't systematic about moving up to 6 capsules. I had tried 2 for the

> first month to six weeks and it wasn't cutting it (I was using Mobic and

> occasional Tylenol for the inflammation during that time) so I read more

> online and saw some articles mentioning using up to 8 or 10 grams per day

> for therapeutic usage and decided to bump it up. I don't recall exactly,

> but

> something like trying 3 for a few days, then 4 for a few days, etc.

> Hint: Take Cat's Claw between/away from meals so you can fully digest it

> and

> get all the benefits.

>

> Re: [ ] Cats Claw

>

> Thank you ,,I did check with the DR.

> I started with 2 a day ..How did you work it up to 6?

• 1 month later...
Guest guest

In a message dated 21/03/2006 11:12:37 GMT Standard Time,

wend_1966@... writes:

.. I know personally that when you are in

pain you will eat dog crap if you thought it would work,

No, ,

I have been in a lot of pain in the past but I've never been in that much

pain! lol

Take care,

• 1 year later...

Cat's Claw for Arthritis, Cancer, AIDS,Degenerative Diseases, and Premature Aging? Studies Beginning in the 1970's SuggestMany Uses for Cat's Claw A new botanical nutrient, Uncaria Tomentosa, is being called by many the "Miracle Herb from the Rain Forest of Peru". It has been drawing increasingly more interest among the proponents of natural health care. Although virtually unheard of in the United States until recently, the beneficial effects of the Peruvian herb Uncaria tomentosa, commonly known as "una de gato" in Spanish and "cat's claw" in English, have

been studied at research facilities in Peru, Austria, Germany, England, Hungary and Italy, since the 1970's. These studies suggest that the herb may be beneficial in the treatment of arthritis, bursitis, allergies, diabetes, lupus, chronic fatigue syndrome, cancer, herpes, organic depression, menstrual irregularities and disorders of the stomach and intestines. (References 1, 2, 3) Properties attributed to cat's claw include: Adaptogenic Anti-microbial Antioxidant Anti-viral Anti-inflammatory Anti-tumor This emergence of knowledge about the activity of cat's claw could not have come at a better time! Many people have become fearful that the war on cancer is being lost, that new potentially deadly viruses are evolving, and that more deadly "super-bacteria" are developing due to over use of prescription antibiotics. This is why increased attention is being placed upon "Nature's Pharmacy", the botanical or herbal nutrients that offer so much hope. In referring to cat's claw, Newsweek reported that this "rain forest herb has been long used to treat asthma, ulcers,

and cancer. ("Nature's Biggest Sellers", Newsweek, November 6, 1995, page 68) In an article in Newlife, this herb was described as having so many therapeutic uses that it far surpasses such well known botanicals as Echinacea, Golden Seal, Astragalus, Siberian Ginseng, as well as Reishi and Shaitake mushrooms. ("Cat's Claw - A Wonder Herb from the Peruvian Rain Forest", Newlife, February, 1995) Dr. Brent described cat's claw as "The Opener of the Way" in referring to its ability to detoxify the intestinal Tract and to treat a variety of stomach and bowel disorders. ( Cat's Claw News, May/June, 1995) The anti-inflammatory qualities of cat's claw have been found to be useful in the treatment of arthritis. ( Journal of Natural Products, 54: Page

453, 1991; Arthritis News, 1: Summer, 1989) The possible anti-cancer qualities of cat's claw were explored in a study on the mutagenic (ability to create mutations) activity in cigarette smokers' urine. Non-smokers did not show mutagenic activity in their urine, while cigarette smokers did. After taking this natural plant substance, smokers' urine showed a dramatic decrease of mutagenic activity. ("Mutagenic and Antimutagenic Activity of Uncaria", Journal of Ethnopharmacy, 38: page 63, 1993) The Effects of Cat's Claw on Intestinal Permeability (Leaky Gut Syndrome) After using cat's claw in working with approximately 150 patients between 1988

and 1992, Dr. Brent reports that "Uncaria tomentosa has the ability to break through severe intestinal derangements that no other available products can touch." He refers to the herb as "the opener of the way" because of its remarkable ability to cleanse the entire intestinal tract and help patients suffering from many different stomach and bowel disorders including leaky bowel syndrome. irritable bowel syndrome, Crohn's disease, diverticulitis, hemorrhoids. fistulas. gastritis, ulcers, parasites and intestinal flora imbalance. (References 1,2,3) By cleansing the intestinal walls, cat's claw enables the body to better absorb nutrients, thus helping to correct nutritional imbalances created by digestive blockages. (Reference 2) Many doctors today believe that cat's claw may have a "profound ability to get rid of deep-seated infection lodged in the bowel and perhaps even the

mesentery, which can derange the uterus and associated anatomic parts: the prostate, liver, spleen, kidneys, thymus and thyroid, for starters."(5) calls cat's claw "a world class herb which has the power to arrest and reverse deep-seated pathology allowing a more rapid return to health...'' (References l, 2) The Ashanika Indians of Peru have long regarded una de gato tea as a sacred beverage. It is used as a cleansing and tonic herb for the immune, intestinal and structural systems. In traditional medicine of Peru, una de gato is categorized as a "warm plant" or, more accurately, for warm conditions (inflammations) including arthritis, gastritis, asthma and dermal and genito-urinary tract inflammations. It is also used to treat diabetes, cancer, tumors, viral infections, menstrual

disorders convalescence and debility. A few tribes also use cat's claw as a remedy for dysentery, (Reference 6) and at least one tribe uses the herb to treat gonorrhea. (Reference 7) Cat's Claw Can Reduce Pain and Inflammation in Arthritic Conditions The anti-inflammatory effects of cat's claw have proven beneficial in the treatment of arthritis, rheumatism, bursitis and gout. As an antioxidant, it also helps protect cells from damage caused by free radicals. Its beneficial effects in treating arthritis pain may also be due, in part, to its ability to cleanse the digestive tract and aid in removing toxins from the body. Arthritis, joint pain and inflammation as well as chronic fatigue, allergies, immune deficiency and a host of other conditions have been

associated with defects in intestinal permeability (leaky bowel syndrome! and toxin overload. (References 9, 10) Some of the glycosides present in the herb may also add protection from pain. This may explain, in part, how cat's claw has been helpful in reducing pain associated with chemotherapy, radiation treatment and AZT use. (Reference l1) A wealth of beneficial phytochemicals have been found in cat's claw including quinovic acid glycosides, several oxindol alkaloids, proanthocyanidins, polyphenols, triterpines and the plant sterols beta-sitosterol, stigmasterol and campesterol. (References l, 3) Researchers believe that the activity of the whole plant extract is greater than the sum of its parts. (References 3, 5, 7) Cat's Claw Alkaloids Stimulate General Immunity Unique alkaloids in una de gato seem to enhance the immune system in a general way. These alkaloids have a pronounced effect on the ability of white blood cells to engulf and digest harmful micro-organisms and foreign matter. (Reference 3) Austrian researcher Klaus Keplinger has obtained two U.S. patents for isolating some of the herb's major components. According to these patents, six oxindol alkaloids have been isolated from cat's claw and four of these have been proven "suitable for the unspecified stimulation of the immunologic system". Laboratory testing has shown these alkaloids to have a pronounced enhancement effect on phagocytosis (the ability of the white blood cells and macrophages to attack, engulf and digest harmful micro-organisms, foreign matter and

debris). The most immunologically active alkaloid appears to be isoteropodine or isomer A. (References 1, 2) Cat's claw has also been shown to increase the production of leukocytes and specifically T4 lymphocytes, thus blocking the advance of many viral illnesses. Quinovic acid glycosides in cat's claw back up the immune system and protect the body from viruses and virus caused cancers. (References l, 2) Dr. Donna Schwontkowski, D.C., calls cat's claw the most powerful immune-enhancer of all the herbs native to the Peruvian Amazon. Preliminary studies suggest that the herb has the ability to stop viral infections in the early stages, help patients who are chemically sensitive, fight opportunistic infections in AIDS patients and de-crease the visible size of some skin tumors and cysts. (References 3, 8) According to Dr. Satya Ambrose, N. D., cats claw seems to enhance overall

immunity while increasing stamina and energy in patients who suffer from physical and mental exhaustion due to an overactive or stressful lifestyle. (Reference 3) Rynchophylline Inhibits Platelet Aggregation and Thrombosis Rynchophylline, a fifth alkaloid found in Uncaria tomentosa, has been studied at the Shanghai College of Traditional Chinese Medicine. In laboratory testing, rynchophylline displays an ability to inhibit platelet aggregation and thrombosis. This suggests that cat's claw may be useful in preventing strokes and reducing the risk of heart attack by lowering blood pressure, increasing circulation, inhibiting formation of plaque on arterial walls and formation of blood clots in the brain, heart and arteries. (Reference 2) It is important to understand that most of the clinical research, trials and reports completed to date which show the alkaloids to be antiviral, anti-inflammatory, immuno-stimulating, antimutagenic, antioxidant and have other benefits, are tests determining the alkaloid's active principals "in-vitro". This means they have been proven in the test tube - not "in-vivo", or in the human body. While these in-vitro tests are very promising, many more in-vivo tests will be needed to determine the true efficacy of this plant for specific diseases in humans. Three trials that could be considered in-vivo, were in fact, human studies. Two were performed using "Krallendorn" which is a cat's claw extract produced by a German company called Immodal. One of these documents is termed a "therapy observation" and spans

a ten year period with 78 patients suffering from brain tumors treated with Krallendorn. Another is a summary of a trial with 32 HIV-infected patients treated with Krallendorn from 1987 to 1991. The third in-vivo test was performed by an Italian group studying the plant's antimutagenic properties on smokers and non-smokers. In-vivo tests and trials are currently underway at several institutions in several countries and some preliminary results look promising, but the final results are not in yet. Cat's claw has not been clinically proven to cure AIDS or cancer. One of the best sources on cat's claw is the book, The Saga of the Cat's Claw, by Dr. Cabieses. Dr. Cabieses is a well known neurologist and neurosurgeon with residency in Lima, Peru. He is Professor Emeritus at the

Universidad Mayor de San Marcos and Honorary Professor at the Universities of Trujillo, Piura, Cajamarca, Chiclayo, Cusco, Arequipa and Garcilaso de la Vega. He is also Clinical Professor of Neurosurgery at the University of Miami, Florida, a member of the World Health Organization Committee for Traditional Medicine and is the Chairman of the Instituto Nacional de Medicina Tradicional of Peru, a branch of the Ministry of Health (The National Institute of Traditional Medicine of Peru). He has studied cat's claw extensively, as well as all available clinical research reports and trials. In his book, he gives a clear and easily understood translation of each of the clinical in-vitro studies and what they mean. We would like to share his views on cat's claw concerning AIDS in his book: "Therefore, 'in-vitro', we already know that the alkaloids of our plant stimulate the

immune mechanisms. This is excellent. It opens a promising avenue of research "in-vivo" in order to determine whether these substances are active in conditions where the immune system is depressed. None of us is unaware of AIDS, the horrible monster stalking humanity, and much hue and cry has been raised about Uncaria tomentosa's effects as a miracle cure for this cursed condition. But so far, no such cure exists. Most of the alleged successes are the works of quacks, adventurers and outright swindlers. Some of the noise comes from a few bona-fide but ignorant physicians or others influenced by cases which are certainly interesting but, unfortunately, poorly documented. The subject demands much more study, and to speak now of "cures" when the evaluation is still under way cruelly raises false hopes in desperate people. Several Peruvian groups, among them Professor Gotuzzo and Doctor rio Rojas, are currently conducting topnotch studies which should soon give us

more reliable information." http://www.all-natural.com/catsclaw.html Suzi List Owner What is a weed? A plant whose virtues have not yet been discovered. health/ http://360./suziesgoats

oneSearch: Finally, mobile search that gives answers, not web links.

• 2 years later...
Guest guest

YES, I have overdone my cat's claw. For me, I think it killed too many bugs

for my system to detox. Sasparilla can help the sysptoms and other detox

measures like castor oil pack, CD and ...more lemon water can't hurt.

If it were me, I would go back to the original amount till you feel better

and then can you raise it more slowly? Try a smaller raise, wait at least 4

days for a reaction - perhaps that way you can raise the does.

Then the question is - why do you feel it necessary to raise the dosage?

_____

[mailto: ] On Behalf Of B. Ross

Sent: Tuesday, May 11, 2010 6:16 AM

Subject: [ ] Cats Claw

I have been using the protocol (Rain Forest Cats Claw, Japanese Knotwood and

Andrographis) for about 3 months as well as Boluoke (Lumbokinase) for about

one month and have seen significant improvement until 8 days ago.

At that time I increased my dose of Cats Claw from 4,000 mg to 4,500 mg and

I am now feeling very lousy. I changed nothing else. Buhner writes that

Cats Claw is an immune potentiator as well as modulator. Perhaps I am now at

too high a dose for me? Cowder writes that the effective dosage varies

markedly from patient to patient. Has anybody had a similar experience?

Much obliged,

Ross