it.

Wish I'd have done this years ago.

Sheryl

>

> Healthy Foods That Promote Deep Sleep By Dr. Ben Kim

>

> If you are following sound advice on how to get a good night's sleep, but

are still

having trouble sleeping soundly, you may want to try eating a bedtime snack that

combines a concentrated dietary source of tryptophan with a healthy

carbohydrate-rich

food.

> Tryptophan is an amino acid that your body cannot make; you must obtain it

from the

foods that you eat. Once tryptophan crosses your blood-brain barrier to gain

access to

your brain, it is used to make a hormone called serotonin.

> Serotonin acts within your body to promote feelings of sleepiness, calm, and

relaxation.

> Without adequate levels of serotonin in your system, you will have a hard

time feeling

sleepy enough to rest soundly. And without adequate levels of tryptophan within

your

brain, you will not be able to produce significant amounts of serotonin.

> The challenge with shuttling tryptophan through to your brain is that it has

to compete

with other amino acids for access to the limited number of channels that line

your blood-

brain barrier. And tryptophan tends to be outnumbered by other amino acids in

natural

foods.

> The key to getting enough tryptophan to your brain to sleep well at night is

to combine

a tryptophan-rich food with a carbohydrate-rich food. This is because ingesting

a

carbohydrate-rich food causes your body to release insulin, which diverts many

of your

other amino acids away from your brain, leaving tryptophan with little

competition to cross

your blood-brain barrier to gain access to your brain.

> Here is a list of some healthy foods that are naturally rich in tryptophan:

>

> Beans

> Whole grains, including rice

> Lentils

> Chickpeas

> Hazelnuts

> Peanuts

> Eggs

> Sunflower seeds

> Sesame seeds

> Miso (fermented soy beans)

> Unsweetened soy milk

> Raw dairy products (if you can tolerate dairy)

> If you combine any of the food listed above with a healthy carbohydrate-rich

food as

an evening snack, you will provide your body with a good opportunity to produce

enough

serotonin to facilitate a good night's rest.

> What follows are some suggestions for healthy meals and snacks that combine

a

tryptophan-rich food with a carbohydrate-rich food:

>

> Rice with miso soup

> Whole grain pita with hummus (add tomato and red onion slices for flavor)

> Whole grain crackers with organic peanut butter (add a touch of honey for

sweetness,

if desired)

> Unsweetened whole grain cereal with soy milk

> Rice with lentils

> Rice, black beans, and guacamole

> Hummus with steamed broccoli

> Eggs with whole grain toast

> Clearly, the possible combinations of tryptophan-rich foods and

carbohydrate-rich

foods are endless. Be creative and enjoy the process of figuring out which

combinations

suit your palate and help you sleep like a bear.

>

>

> Suzi

> List Owner

> health/

>

> http://360./suziesgoats

> What is a weed? A plant whose virtues have not yet been discovered.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> ---------------------------------

> Fussy? Opinionated? Impossible to please? Perfect. Join 's user panel

and lay it on

us.

>

I have had serious sleep problems since I was a child and so far nothing has worked permanently.

Reading this list of foods that promote sleep, I have to say that if I eat peanuts at evening I don't sleep at all.

Rena

Foods that Promote Deep Sleep

Healthy Foods That Promote Deep Sleep

By Dr. Ben Kim

If you are following sound advice on how to get a good night's sleep, but are still having trouble sleeping soundly, you may want to try eating a bedtime snack that combines a concentrated dietary source of tryptophan with a healthy carbohydrate-rich food.

Tryptophan is an amino acid that your body cannot make; you must obtain it from the foods that you eat. Once tryptophan crosses your blood-brain barrier to gain access to your brain, it is used to make a hormone called serotonin.

Serotonin acts within your body to promote feelings of sleepiness, calm, and relaxation.

Without adequate levels of serotonin in your system, you will have a hard time feeling sleepy enough to rest soundly. And without adequate levels of tryptophan within your brain, you will not be able to produce significant amounts of serotonin.

The challenge with shuttling tryptophan through to your brain is that it has to compete with other amino acids for access to the limited number of channels that line your blood-brain barrier. And tryptophan tends to be outnumbered by other amino acids in natural foods.

The key to getting enough tryptophan to your brain to sleep well at night is to combine a tryptophan-rich food with a carbohydrate-rich food. This is because ingesting a carbohydrate-rich food causes your body to release insulin, which diverts many of your other amino acids away from your brain, leaving tryptophan with little competition to cross your blood-brain barrier to gain access to your brain.

Here is a list of some healthy foods that are naturally rich in tryptophan:

Beans Whole grains, including rice Lentils Chickpeas Hazelnuts Peanuts Eggs Sunflower seeds Sesame seeds Miso (fermented soy beans) Unsweetened soy milk Raw dairy products (if you can tolerate dairy)

If you combine any of the food listed above with a healthy carbohydrate-rich food as an evening snack, you will provide your body with a good opportunity to produce enough serotonin to facilitate a good night's rest.

What follows are some suggestions for healthy meals and snacks that combine a tryptophan-rich food with a carbohydrate-rich food:

Rice with miso soup Whole grain pita with hummus (add tomato and red onion slices for flavor) Whole grain crackers with organic peanut butter (add a touch of honey for sweetness, if desired) Unsweetened whole grain cereal with soy milk Rice with lentils Rice, black beans, and guacamole Hummus with steamed broccoli Eggs with whole grain toast

Clearly, the possible combinations of tryptophan-rich foods and carbohydrate-rich foods are endless. Be creative and enjoy the process of figuring out which combinations suit your palate and help you sleep like a bear.

Suzi

List Owner

health/

http://360./suziesgoats

What is a weed? A plant whose virtues have not yet been discovered.

Fussy? Opinionated? Impossible to please? Perfect. Join 's user panel and lay it on us.

, Rena, Are you eating peanuts by themselves? or combining with one of the choices given in the article? How are your eating habits? When was the last time you did a cleanse? of any kind? Your digestive system probably needs some work... also, what do you eat or drink in the afternoons and evening? SuziBlua Birdo <bluabirdo@...> wrote: I have had serious sleep problems since I was a child and so far nothing has worked permanently. Reading this list of foods that promote sleep, I have to say that if I eat peanuts at evening I don't sleep at all. Rena

Moody friends. Drama queens. Your life? Nope! - their life, your story. Play Sims Stories at Games.

I have been vegetarian for more than 20 years and vegan on and off. I eat mostly raw.

I'm a night person. I notice that I tend to sleep better if I can go to bed around 2AM or so. However, due to some circumstances I have to force myself to go to sleep much earlier.

After 2 or 3 times I ate peanuts at evening and this woke me up completely, I only eat them early during the day (mainly peanut butter in a sandwich, or with banana, etc.

Rena

Re: Foods that Promote Deep Sleep

Rena,

Are you eating peanuts by themselves? or combining with one of the choices given in the article?

How are your eating habits? When was the last time you did a cleanse? of any kind?

Your digestive system probably needs some work... also, what do you eat or drink in the afternoons and evening?

SuziBlua Birdo <bluabirdohotmail> wrote:

I have had serious sleep problems since I was a child and so far nothing has worked permanently.

Reading this list of foods that promote sleep, I have to say that if I eat peanuts at evening I don't sleep at all.

Rena

Moody friends. Drama queens. Your life? Nope! - their life, your story.Play Sims Stories at Games.

ok, don't eat the peanus alone... try them with one of the choices on the list... Also, try some valerian or hops tea before you go to sleep..Blua Birdo <bluabirdo@...> wrote: I have been vegetarian for more than 20 years and vegan on and off. I eat mostly raw. I'm a night person. I notice that I tend to sleep better if I can go to bed around 2AM or so. However, due to some circumstances I have to force myself to go to sleep much earlier. After 2 or 3 times I ate peanuts at evening and this woke me up completely, I only eat them early during the day (mainly peanut butter in a sandwich, or with banana, etc. Rena

Don't let your dream ride pass you by. Make it a reality with Autos.

Oh yes, I do this, but for some reason, things that work one day or night, don't work another time and later they work again.

I recently had the adrenaline tested and it's very low in the morning and keeps raising during the day being high at evening. I'm taking some formula for that. It began working well and I started sleeping better for a few weeks, but the last days have been really rough again.

Rena

ok, don't eat the peanus alone... try them with one of the choices on the list... Also, try some valerian or hops tea before you go to sleep..Blua Birdo <bluabirdohotmail> wrote:

I have been vegetarian for more than 20 years and vegan on and off. I eat mostly raw.

I'm a night person. I notice that I tend to sleep better if I can go to bed around 2AM or so. However, due to some circumstances I have to force myself to go to sleep much earlier.

After 2 or 3 times I ate peanuts at evening and this woke me up completely, I only eat them early during the day (mainly peanut butter in a sandwich, or with banana, etc.

Rena

ROFL.. don't eat the peanuts alone if you are having trouble sleeping... did you read the article about combining certain foods?SV <shavig@...> wrote: say what?! "don't eat the peanus" Down Guido, back in your room! Suzi List Owner health/ http://360./suziesgoats What is a weed? A plant whose virtues have not yet been discovered.

Wasn't mine... it was the authors... lol... I just thought I'd share as I had heard about this somewhere sometime ago..SV <shavig@...> wrote: Yes, I read the article but your misspelling was more fun! Shari Suzi List Owner health/ http://360./suziesgoats What is a weed? A plant whose virtues have not yet been discovered.

Need a vacation? Get great deals to amazing places on Travel.

Just saw the list of foods to help you sleep and would like to add one

more. It's not really a food but more of a tea you make. Take some holly

leaves, boil them into a tea and that really helps. I've never been a

good sleeper but I'm great at tossing and turning. A lady up the road

told me about the tea and now it helps a lot. I even dry leaves to have

them close by. Been doing this for several years now.

faye

I never saw Holly leaves. Is it easy to find?

Rena

Just saw the list of foods to help you sleep and would like to add one more. It's not really a food but more of a tea you make. Take some holly leaves, boil them into a tea and that really helps. I've never been a good sleeper but I'm great at tossing and turning. A lady up the road told me about the tea and now it helps a lot. I even dry leaves to have them close by. Been doing this for several years now.faye

We have several Holly trees on the place. They can grow pretty big and

are easy to spot because of the prickly leaves. Even after they are

dried they still poke you pretty hard.