RemedySpot.com

Barley Soup

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Healing Barley Soup By Cait , author of Witch in the Kitchen When I came down with a double whammy of sniffles and post-birthday-feasting extra weight, I turned to this recipe from my wise grandmother, which includes other healing foods like garlic, onion, herbs, and lemon along with the barley. She knew that this inexpensive traditional whole food has been used as a healing agent for centuries: barley is a potent source of B vitamins, folic acid, selenium, and Vitamin E, has a low glycemic index, its fiber helps reduce cholesterol, and it makes us feel pleasantly full without loading on the calories. The cooked barley has a pasta-like consistency that really satisfies, and this soothing soup always makes me feel better. SIMPLE

SOLUTION: INGREDIENTS 2 tablespoons olive oil1 medium onion (I use red, but white or yellow will do just fine), coarsely chopped2 cloves garlic, minced3/4 cup pearl barley6 cups good-quality vegetable stock2 sprigs fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried (thyme is a good anti-microbial)1 sprig fresh rosemary or 1/2 teaspoon dried1 medium carrot, chopped1 cup sweet potato, peeled, and diced3 cups seasonal greens, chopped (I like kale, but turnip greens, Swiss chard, broccoli rabe, mustard greens, or spinach will work beautifully)Sea salt and freshly-ground pepper, to taste2 tablespoons freshly-squeezed lemon juice per servingCayenne pepper, to taste (optional, but it’s very soothing for scratchy throats)Fresh herbs for garnish, optional 1. Heat the olive oil in a heavy-bottomed soup pot and add onion. Saute, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes, until softened. Add garlic and cook, stirring often, for 1 or 2 minutes, until garlic is fragrant and golden but not browned. Add pearl barley, stirring to coat with oil, and cook for 2 minutes. 2. Add stock, thyme, and rosemary. Increase heat to bring soup to a boil, then cover, reduce heat, and cook 1 hour, until barley is barely tender. Add carrot and sweet potato, and continue cooking 20 to 30 minutes, until vegetables have

softened. Add greens and cook until wilted and tender, about 5 to 10 more minutes. Use a potato masher to gently crush the potatoes. Add salt and pepper to your taste. 3. Ladle soup into bowls, adding lemon juice and cayenne pepper, if using, to each serving, and top with fresh herbs, if you like. Serves 6 to 8. Suzi List Owner health/ http://360./suziesgoats What is a weed? A plant whose virtues have not yet been discovered. __________________________________________________