RemedySpot.com

Milk Thistle

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Dear Rogene, my computer has been down for a couple of weeks and I have only just read your message about your mum, I hope she is ok.

Thinking of you both.

Sue.xx

• 3 years later...

Milk Thistle: The seeds, fruit, and leaves of Milk Thistle have been used since the Roman times as a liver tonic. Also known as n, St. 's, and Our Lady's thistle, the herb is native to Europe. Originating in the Mediterranean region and grown and used as a vegetable throughout Europe, it was brought to the United States and has adapted to life in the wild in California and along the East Coast. It is a tall plant with large prickly leaves and a reddish purple flower. The white spots along the ribs of the leaves were said to have been drops of the Virgin 's milk. The medicinal use of milk thistle goes back two thousand years. Medieval herbalists also made use of this, and in the sixteenth century English herbalists adopted it. It did not maintain its popularity, however, and by the early twentieth century only homeopaths were familiar with it. With a renewal of interest in herbal medicines, researchers started to investigate milk thistle

scientifically in the 1950s. The part of the plant that is used is the small hard fruit, without the fuzz, and the seeds, which contain fatty acids and flavonoids. Milk Thistle helps maintain healthy liver function. This is important because the liver performs more than 500 functions in the body per day and is the last line of defense in handling toxins. The liver detoxifies poisons (such as alcohol and pollutants) that enter our bloodstream. Milk Thistle's silymarin stimulates the flow of bile from the liver, the primary function of which breaks down poisons and fats. This herb is generally highly recommended by herbalists as a "staple" in the herbal medicinal chest. Milk Thistle extracts contain 70 to 80% silymarin. Many clinical studies have shown silymarin has therapeutic effects in treating several types of liver disorders such as cirrhosis, chronic

hepatitis, and fatty infiltration of the liver. Milk thistle is used to treat a number of liver conditions including slowing the advancement of liver cirrhosis. It may be helpful in treating Hepatitis B. It has been shown to stimulate protein synthesis within the liver, leading to tissue regeneration, fights pollutants, inhibits free-radical damage, and helps skin conditions related to poor liver function. Biopsies and laboratory studies have demonstrated that silymarin protects the liver from the damaging effects of alcohol and toxic chemicals and stimulates the production of new liver cells to replace damaged ones. Silymarin may also help prevent or treat gallstones by increasing the solubility of the bile. Milk thistle extracts have shown very low toxicity, even when taken over a long period of time however, any serious medical condition requires professional care and anyone being treated for liver ailments should ask their doctor prior to taking any herb or herbal

preparation. The herb has also been used historically to treat depression and to increase breast milk production. Today it is a staple of alternative medicine for pregnant and nursing mothers. However, pregnant women and nursing mothers should also always seek professional guidance prior to using any herb or supplement. Milk thistle should not be administered as a tea or as dried herb because silymarin is neither water-soluble nor readily absorbed from the intestinal tract. Proprietary products standardized to 70 percent silymarin are utilized in Europe at a usual dose of 420 mg daily. Treatment normally lasts four to eight weeks at a minimum. Trials of three and six months are common. Suzi List Owner health/ http://360./suziesgoats What is a weed? A plant whose virtues have not yet been discovered.

Take the Internet to Go: Go puts the Internet in your pocket: mail, news, photos more.

I have a friend who has hepatitis C and her liver enzymes were very elevated. After taking Milk Thistle for about 3 months her liver enzymes lowered considerably. I don't know if they are normal now, but the doctor was astonished and asked her what she has done.

Now, I tried to take Milk Thistle and every time I feel nauseated. I wonder why. Any idea?

Rena

Milk Thistle

Milk Thistle: The seeds, fruit, and leaves of Milk Thistle have been used since the Roman times as a liver tonic. Also known as n, St. 's, and Our Lady's thistle, the herb is native to Europe. Originating in the Mediterranean region and grown and used as a vegetable throughout Europe, it was brought to the United States and has adapted to life in the wild in California and along the East Coast. It is a tall plant with large prickly leaves and a reddish purple flower. The white spots along the ribs of the leaves were said to have been drops of the Virgin 's milk. The medicinal use of milk thistle goes back two thousand years. Medieval herbalists also made use of this, and in the sixteenth century English herbalists adopted it. It did not maintain its popularity, however, and by the early twentieth century only homeopaths were familiar with it. With a renewal of interest in herbal medicines, researchers started to investigate milk thistle scientifically in the 1950s. The part of the plant that is used is the small hard fruit, without the fuzz, and the seeds, which contain fatty acids and flavonoids. Milk Thistle helps maintain healthy liver function. This is important because the liver performs more than 500 functions in the body per day and is the last line of defense in handling toxins. The liver detoxifies poisons (such as alcohol and pollutants) that enter our bloodstream. Milk Thistle's silymarin stimulates the flow of bile from the liver, the primary function of which breaks down poisons and fats. This herb is generally highly recommended by herbalists as a "staple" in the herbal medicinal chest.

Milk Thistle extracts contain 70 to 80% silymarin. Many clinical studies have shown silymarin has therapeutic effects in treating several types of liver disorders such as cirrhosis, chronic hepatitis, and fatty infiltration of the liver. Milk thistle is used to treat a number of liver conditions including slowing the advancement of liver cirrhosis. It may be helpful in treating Hepatitis B. It has been shown to stimulate protein synthesis within the liver, leading to tissue regeneration, fights pollutants, inhibits free-radical damage, and helps skin conditions related to poor liver function. Biopsies and laboratory studies have demonstrated that silymarin protects the liver from the damaging effects of alcohol and toxic chemicals and stimulates the production of new liver cells to replace damaged ones. Silymarin may also help prevent or treat gallstones by increasing the solubility of the bile. Milk thistle extracts have shown very low toxicity, even when taken over a long period of time however, any serious medical condition requires professional care and anyone being treated for liver ailments should ask their doctor prior to taking any herb or herbal preparation.

The herb has also been used historically to treat depression and to increase breast milk production. Today it is a staple of alternative medicine for pregnant and nursing mothers. However, pregnant women and nursing mothers should also always seek professional guidance prior to using any herb or supplement.

Milk thistle should not be administered as a tea or as dried herb because silymarin is neither water-soluble nor readily absorbed from the intestinal tract. Proprietary products standardized to 70 percent silymarin are utilized in Europe at a usual dose of 420 mg daily. Treatment normally lasts four to eight weeks at a minimum. Trials of three and six months are common.

Suzi

List Owner

health/

http://360./suziesgoats

What is a weed? A plant whose virtues have not yet been discovered.

Take the Internet to Go: Go puts the Internet in your pocket: mail, news, photos more.

Do you need to be taking milk thistle?Blua Birdo <bluabirdo@...> wrote: I have a friend who has hepatitis C and her liver enzymes were very elevated. After taking Milk Thistle for about 3 months her liver enzymes lowered considerably. I don't know if they are normal now, but the doctor was astonished and asked her what she has done. Now, I tried to take Milk Thistle and every time I feel nauseated. I wonder why. Any idea? Rena Milk Thistle Milk Thistle: The seeds, fruit, and leaves of Milk Thistle have been used since the Roman times as a liver tonic. Also known as n, St. 's, and Our Lady's thistle, the herb is native to Europe. Originating in the Mediterranean region and grown and used as a vegetable throughout Europe, it was brought to the United States and has adapted to life in the wild in California

and along the East Coast. It is a tall plant with large prickly leaves and a reddish purple flower. The white spots along the ribs of the leaves were said to have been drops of the Virgin 's milk. The medicinal use of milk thistle goes back two thousand years. Medieval herbalists also made use of this, and in the sixteenth century English herbalists adopted it. It did not maintain its popularity, however, and by the early twentieth century only homeopaths were familiar with it. With a renewal of interest in herbal medicines, researchers started to investigate milk thistle scientifically in the 1950s. The part of the plant that is used is the small hard fruit, without the fuzz, and the seeds, which contain fatty acids and flavonoids. Milk Thistle helps maintain healthy liver function. This is important because the liver performs more than 500 functions in the body per day and is the last line of defense in handling

toxins. The liver detoxifies poisons (such as alcohol and pollutants) that enter our bloodstream. Milk Thistle's silymarin stimulates the flow of bile from the liver, the primary function of which breaks down poisons and fats. This herb is generally highly recommended by herbalists as a "staple" in the herbal medicinal chest. Milk Thistle extracts contain 70 to 80% silymarin. Many clinical studies have shown silymarin has therapeutic effects in treating several types of liver disorders such as cirrhosis, chronic hepatitis, and fatty infiltration of the liver. Milk thistle is used to treat a number of liver conditions including slowing the advancement of liver cirrhosis. It may be helpful in treating Hepatitis B. It has been shown to stimulate protein synthesis within the liver, leading to tissue regeneration, fights pollutants, inhibits free-radical damage, and helps skin conditions related to poor liver

function. Biopsies and laboratory studies have demonstrated that silymarin protects the liver from the damaging effects of alcohol and toxic chemicals and stimulates the production of new liver cells to replace damaged ones. Silymarin may also help prevent or treat gallstones by increasing the solubility of the bile. Milk thistle extracts have shown very low toxicity, even when taken over a long period of time however, any serious medical condition requires professional care and anyone being treated for liver ailments should ask their doctor prior to taking any herb or herbal preparation. The herb has also been used historically to treat depression and to increase breast milk production. Today it is a staple of alternative medicine for pregnant and nursing mothers. However, pregnant women and nursing mothers should also always seek professional guidance prior to using any herb or supplement. Milk thistle should not be administered as a tea or as dried herb because silymarin is neither water-soluble nor readily absorbed from the intestinal tract. Proprietary products standardized to 70 percent silymarin are utilized in Europe at a usual dose of 420 mg daily. Treatment normally lasts four to eight weeks at a minimum. Trials of three and six months are common. Suzi List Owner health/ http://360./suziesgoats What is a weed? A plant whose virtues have not yet been discovered. Take the Internet to Go: Go puts the Internet in your pocket: mail, news, photos more. Suzi List Owner health/ http://360./suziesgoats What is a weed? A plant whose virtues have not yet been discovered.

oneSearch: Finally, mobile search that gives answers, not web links.

Sorry .. I have so much stuff in my computer over the years... maybe by keying in a phrase you could locate it on the web... I can try later.. Landes <L@...> wrote: Suzi -Do you have the link where you got this article originally?Thanks!At 11:39 AM 10/15/2007, you wrote: Milk Thistle: The seeds, fruit, and leaves of Milk Thistle have been used since the Roman times as a liver tonic. Also known as n, St. 's, and Our Lady's thistle, the herb is native to Europe. Originating in the Mediterranean region and grown and used as a vegetable throughout Europe, it was brought to the United States and has adapted to life in the wild in California and along the East Coast. It is a tall plant with large prickly

leaves and a reddish purple flower. The white spots along the ribs of the leaves were said to have been drops of the Virgin 's milk. The medicinal use of milk thistle goes back two thousand years. Medieval herbalists also made use of this, and in the sixteenth century English herbalists adopted it. It did not maintain its popularity, however, and by the early twentieth century only homeopaths were familiar with it. With a renewal of interest in herbal medicines, researchers started to investigate milk thistle scientifically in the 1950s. The part of the plant that is used is the small hard fruit, without the fuzz, and the seeds, which contain fatty acids and flavonoids. Milk Thistle helps maintain healthy liver function. This is important because the liver performs more than 500 functions in the body per day and is the last line of defense in handling toxins. The liver detoxifies poisons (such as alcohol and

pollutants) that enter our bloodstream. Milk Thistle's silymarin stimulates the flow of bile from the liver, the primary function of which breaks down poisons and fats. This herb is generally highly recommended by herbalists as a "staple" in the herbal medicinal chest. Milk Thistle extracts contain 70 to 80% silymarin. Many clinical studies have shown silymarin has therapeutic effects in treating several types of liver disorders such as cirrhosis, chronic hepatitis, and fatty infiltration of the liver. Milk thistle is used to treat a number of liver conditions including slowing the advancement of liver cirrhosis. It may be helpful in treating Hepatitis B. It has been shown to stimulate protein synthesis within the liver, leading to tissue regeneration, fights pollutants, inhibits free-radical damage, and helps skin conditions related to poor liver function. Biopsies and laboratory studies have demonstrated that silymarin protects the liver from the damaging effects of

alcohol and toxic chemicals and stimulates the production of new liver cells to replace damaged ones. Silymarin may also help prevent or treat gallstones by increasing the solubility of the bile. Milk thistle extracts have shown very low toxicity, even when taken over a long period of time however, any serious medical condition requires professional care and anyone being treated for liver ailments should ask their doctor prior to taking any herb or herbal preparation.The herb has also been used historically to treat depression and to increase breast milk production. Today it is a staple of alternative medicine for pregnant and nursing mothers. However, pregnant women and nursing mothers should also always seek professional guidance prior to using any herb or supplement.Milk thistle should not be administered as a tea or as dried herb because silymarin is neither water-soluble nor readily absorbed from the intestinal tract. Proprietary products standardized to 70

percent silymarin are utilized in Europe at a usual dose of 420 mg daily. Treatment normally lasts four to eight weeks at a minimum. Trials of three and six months are common.

Looking for a deal? Find great prices on flights and hotels with FareChase.

No, Suzi, don't worry about spending any time on it, and thanks for the

offer. I did Google part of the article but nothing is coming

back. I was going to forward to another group but without citing

the original source they will hang me for copyright, LOL.

Enjoy your day!

At 11:35 AM 10/16/2007, you wrote:

Sorry .. I have so much

stuff in my computer over the years... maybe by keying in a phrase you

could locate it on the web... I can try later..

Landes <L@...> wrote:

Suzi -

Do you have the link where you got this article originally?

Thanks!

This could be it.... http://www.herbsandnaturalremedies.com/herbs/milk_thistle.htm Landes <L@...> wrote: No, Suzi, don't worry about spending any time on it, and thanks for the offer. I did Google part of the article but nothing is coming back. I was going to forward to another group but without citing the original source they will hang me for copyright, LOL.

Catch up on fall's hot new shows on TV. Watch previews, get listings, and more!

• 1 year later...

I agree with everything that Dave and Evie have said. My grandmother said on

the Today show yesterday they said vitamins are worthless. Maybe the one's

they set out at Walmart or other cheaper stores are garbage but I truly believe

Vitamins are helpful.

**************New year...new news. Be the first to know what is making

headlines. (http://www.aol.com/?ncid=emlcntaolcom00000026)

Dave,

I am wondering where is a good place to buy quality vitamins? There is a Dr

named Ward Bond who has a show all about nutrition. Called Nutrtional Living,

If you have heard of him are the vitamins he shows any good? Thanks

I have family in Germany, and the irony is that as a country, they

have always been more natural-minded than we are. Did our pigs take

them over and convert their pigs to our way of thinking? Not sure how

that process started.

There are a lot of groups fighting this happening in America. Not

sure yet how it will affect us. One thing I'm experiencing right now

is the law that our geniuses designed to protect our children from

lead. We wanted lead-free products from China. Well, they are

requiring EVERY product that might possibly be used for a child under

12 to be tested for lead. Children's bedding? Must be tested. Cloth

diapers? Tested. It doesn't matter if the product has ever been known

to contain lead or even capable of containing it. Has to be tested.

I'm not freaking out, but I know lots of people who make handmade

goods who think their business must close in February. I'd like to

see Big Brother come into every home in this country to see if we are

testing baby clothes for lead!

Evie

>

> So sorry to inform all of my Brethren in America, but the reason

for the difference in price is unfortunately a bit different... It

is called Codex... Have not heard of it? Ask your legislator...

Codex is in full force in Eu. Our lovely elected officialdom bought

and sold us to it in 2005. Coming to a country near you... This is

a well planned and engineered attempt (successful I might add) to

control all natural means of health maintenance.

>

> While in Germany last year, the land of natural alternatives

in " medicine " , having many people in need of this type of care, I was

appalled to find out that none was available! Codex Alimentus....

See it... Read it... Just try and digest it... Think your

gallbladder is giving you fits now? Try and digest this... It has

already been done to you...

>

> Codex, sold to you as a means of making sure that the

natural products industry is safe for you as determined by big Daddy

government, is nothing more than a ring in your nose...

>

> Where is your wallet?... Let me see...

>

>

> Always, in all ways,

>

> -Dave

>

>

> Re: Milk Thistle

>

>

> I am not a doctor so please take my post with a grain of salt...

or

> rather with ton of salt. :)

>

> I observed that milk thistle in Europe is nuch more expensive

than in

> USA and asked pharmacist if he has any US brand milk thistle. He

> said he does not have any but he knows exactly why US products

are

> less expensive. He says that they do not contain enough active

> ingredients to have any effect on liver.

>

> I compared the most popular GNC products

> http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?

<http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?>

>

productId=2539691 & cp=2271690 & sr=1 & origkw=milk+thistle & parentPage=famil

> y

> Milk Thistle Seed Extract (Silybum marianum)(80% Silymarin = 160mg

> vs

> German product 600mg

>

> I am using now this product Silymarin 720 mg:

> http://www.lef.org/Vitamins-Supplements/Item00702/Mega-Silymarin-

with-<http://www.lef.org/Vitamins-Supplements/Item00702/Mega-

Silymarin-with->

> Isosilybin-B.html

>

>

>

>

>

>

Thank you so much Dave,

I figured that much, Cheaper vitamins are garbage. I have a product I use

called Sweet Wheat that is $60 on sale. But if you buy the cheaper quality at

per say Walmart it is worthless. I will pass this information on to my

grandmother who takes a lot of great quality vitamins. Again Thank you for all

your

information.

Go to doctoryourself.com and get a real education on how really valuable

vitamins are.

Re: Re: Milk Thistle

I agree with everything that Dave and Evie have said. My grandmother said on

the Today show yesterday they said vitamins are worthless. Maybe the one's

they set out at Walmart or other cheaper stores are garbage but I truly believe

Vitamins are helpful.

Big long topic. Best to say that you have to be very, very careful. Caveat

Emptor. the biggest concerns are in mineral bonding and oil soluble vitamins.

In oil soluble vitamins only naturally derived will do. It has to do with the

shape of the molecule, not the chemical composition. If for instance a vitamin

supplement lists the vitamin E as Dl Alpha tocopherol, run, do not walk from it.

It should be D alpha not Dl. Again, long dissertation involved. Someone

recently mentioned Usana. this is a network marketing company and is probably

overpriced as being such, but of the finest quality. Dr. Wentz is not only

knowledgeable but ethical as well. Tough combo to find these days. I am not

familiar with Dr. Bond, cannot say.

You cannot just go by brand because most have several products to span the

price ranges... Some crap and some good. Some of the more reputable healthfood

store brands are Source Naturals, Country life, Solgar, Pure encapsulations,

Designs for Health, etc. Stay in the higher price range. The cheap stuff can

be damaging as well as not being of benefit. Would not be out of range to pay

$60 for a high quality multiple for one month. Less than the cost of a latte...

If you cannot afford it, buy it still and take half or one third the amount to

stretch it. Better to take less of quality than more of junk... hope this

helps. Sorry that I cannot give a full tutorial, it would start to reach small

book size.

Always, in all ways,

-Dave

Re: Re: Milk Thistle

Dave,

I am wondering where is a good place to buy quality vitamins? There is a Dr

named Ward Bond who has a show all about nutrition. Called Nutrtional Living,

If you have heard of him are the vitamins he shows any good? Thanks

headlines.

(http://www.aol.com/?ncid=emlcntaolcom00000026<http://www.aol.com/?ncid=emlcntao\

lcom00000026>)

lol yes, I hear that lots too. Vitamins, herbs, homeopathy, gall

bladder flushing. All garbage. Anything that involves disease

prevention or reversal has long been the target of naysayers.

Most of the media gets their stories from medical authorities who

routinely ignore many valid scientific research articles and studies

which support the use of vitamins etc. In some cases I do the

opposite of what the medical authorities (health canada up here)

recommend. Recently they established that it is safe for pregnant

women to have some mercury exposure from various sources. How silly

when the rates of autism has sky rocketed.

Sorry for my rant, the media irks me sometimes.

:)

Brad

>

> I agree with everything that Dave and Evie have said. My grandmother

said on

> the Today show yesterday they said vitamins are worthless. Maybe the

one's

> they set out at Walmart or other cheaper stores are garbage but I

truly believe

> Vitamins are helpful.

>

>

> **************New year...new news. Be the first to know what is making

> headlines. (http://www.aol.com/?ncid=emlcntaolcom00000026)

>

>

>