RemedySpot.com

Re: Re: DOC BAND CLINICIANS' TRAINING

Rate this topic

Guest guest

In a message dated 2/1/2002 1:42:08 PM Central Standard Time, scott_chris@... writes:

I have to say I was kind of surprised to see a CT employee posting to

the board--are they a sponsor? I was under the perhaps wrong

impression as a new member that the board was for parents of plagio

kids.

BTW, Asher is doing MUCH better with his band--he slept all night in

it, only waking up once! :)

mom to Asher 7/15/01, STARbanded 1/28/02

Hey Chris-so glad Asher is doing much better and he slept all night in the band. Heck still doesn't sleep all night and he is helmet free. At any rate-you will find that orthoamerica doc and local clinicians all belong to our site and often read our posts daily. They are a great resource for us and are helpful providing information that at times we cant and I think it gives them good insight into any problems that need to be addressed with their staff and families. We have been fortunate enough that at times they will reply on a sat or sun when they are in the office and the offices are closed. I am not sure that Carol was directly replying to your posts as there was also a recent post from a mother who chose a local band siting one of the reasons she felt comfortable with the ortho and helmet over the doc was because the ortho had training that she felt more comfortable with over the Physical therapist of DOC would be providing. Either way your post and Carols are both good information and clarification to have. Thanks to the both of you.

Beck Mom to

Memphis, TN

I have to say I was kind of surprised to see a CT employee posting to the board--are they a sponsor? I was under the perhaps wrong impression as a new member that the board was for parents of plagio kids.

No, Cranial Technologies in not a sponsor of this group. This is a FREE service provided by . It did not cost a penny to set up, and it costs nothing but my time, the moderators time, and the members input to keep it up and running.

This group's membership is not limited to parents of children with plagio. We have several members who are not parents of plagio kids. Those include other relatives of these children, doctors who are trying to learn more about plagio, clinicians and orthotists promoting their availability to help children, staff of Cranial Technologies, and yes, even staff of Orthomerica. ALL of these people from the professional end have been around to answer difficult questions for us time and again.

As owner of this group, as a 2+ year member, as a parent to a plagio kid, and as a person who at all times wants the best for this group and it's members, I thank ALL members for playing such a strong role in this group - including our medical professionals who have provided countless numbers of excellent messages to help me and you. Without their knowledge and expertise, this groups information base would not be what it is today.

Kendra

Re: DOC BAND CLINICIANS' TRAINING

I presume it is my last post regarding my son's STARband you are addressing.I would like to make sure everyone also knows the training an orthotist, who would fit a STARband or other helmet, receives:--a four year (bachelors) degree majoring in orthotics/prosthetics accredited by NCOPE, PLUS one year clinical experience OR--a four year (bachelors) degree in any major, plus a one to two year NCOPE certification in orthotics/prosthetics PLUS one year clinical experiencePLUS--National certification exam--Continuing education at advanced levelsOrthotists are just as well-trained as physical therapists. Cranial Technologies' downside is that by limiting their treatment to certain centers of the country, they lose a lot of potential customers who are not willing to subject an infant to a whole day or more of travel for each adjustment, sometimes as often as weekly. Also, the DOCband costs over three times as much as other orthoses. My son's STARband is $900, and that includes all fittings and adjustments, versus the DOCband at $3,000. I am sure many parents have their reasons for choosing DOC over STAR, but for us, the cost and travel was a major consideration. I have to say I was kind of surprised to see a CT employee posting to the board--are they a sponsor? I was under the perhaps wrong impression as a new member that the board was for parents of plagio kids. BTW, Asher is doing MUCH better with his band--he slept all night in it, only waking up once! :) mom to Asher 7/15/01, STARbanded 1/28/02> A couple of our parents have suggested there may be some confusion > about the training level of Clinicians in DOC Band Centers. > > Cranial Technologies selectively hires Registered and Licensed > Physical and Occupational Therapists. All of them have Bachelor > Degrees and many of them actually have Masters Degrees. They are also > trained in Pediatrics, i.e. the total care of the infant. When hired > by Cranial Technologies, and before they are allowed to treat DOC > Band Patients, they are given 5 weeks of intense training at one of > our national Clinicis. This training includes clinicial as well as > classroom work in all aspects of plagiocephaly, facial asymmetry, > neck involvement, and the assessment of developmental delays in > infants. > > Our clinicians also work in close collaboration with the Craniofacial > Surgeons and Pediatric Neurosurgeons in their communities, which > provides a setting for exchange of professional and clinical > information as well as higher level learning. > > By following these training protocols, Cranial Technologies ensures > that each child treated across the nation receives the same level of > care. > > I hope this information is helpful.> > Carol kson> Cranial Technologies> 866-362-2263For more plagio info