RemedySpot.com

Re: How Long Must Clothes Soak? - 1 answer + 1 alternative

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I have experimented with every factor and one thing I cannot change is the minimum soak time of 24 hours. It is a pain. Especially for my back, picking up those 2.5 gal Hefty bags. So, for my birthday, I got a very strange present of my own choosing. Note that I only soak washable clothing, and I soak and wash in cold water to prevent the colors from running, then I wash in borax and detergent and finish by drying everything on the regular cycle for 4 hours.

This album includes photos showing my clothing soak procedures. If you want to see more of my critter-related pics, click here.

Miteyman's method, baking, either in a microwave or conventional oven, is much faster, but poses a greater risk of damage to the clothing (synthetics melt, for example), plus it requires us to handle washed but not yet sanitized clothing after we have probably already gotten cleaned up. So, I recommend wearing gloves AND doing this before we get cleaned up..

Here's what Miteyman says in post 7359:

We do not soak at all. I am sure that works given everyone's reports. But if you don't want to soak, this works for us:* 1/2 cup borox and 1/2 cup ammonia in every load (can sub clorox for whites)* spray dryer filters between load* use several bounce sheets when dryingthen microwave all clothing before wearing per the timing I provided a few days ago. Better to microwave after wearing too, just in case.

And here are the times he mentioned in post 7222:

On high, fairly powerful oven:20 seconds minimum for smallish/thin clothing32 seconds for my leather business loafers30 seconds for average business or casual shirt, same for long pants and shorts30 seconds for undershorts and socks (unfolded so they don't hide in the folds of sock tops), done together45 seconds for suit/sport coat. If heavy material or lined, I do one side, reverse it, wait 20 seconds for buttons to cool, then do the other side.50 seconds for pajamas, top and bottom together45 seconds for large bath towelWarnings:* Be sure to cover all large metal, like zippers, buckles, snaps, etc. with at least one fold of cloth. Or turn inside out so all metal is inside. And reduce the time if you have much of these-- they will burn your clothing and/or could spark and cause fire!

* Start your learning curve with cheaper items.

***You will lose some***

Much better to lose cheap clothing you don't care much about.

* Outerwear (coats, raincoats, etc.) are problematic. I've burned a much higher percentage of these than usual clothing (only lost a few of "usual" clothing). So I don't nuke them anymore but just use Windex heavily.

* Some other forum members spritz with water before nuking to reduce damage possibilities and/or remove wrinkles. I don't do either just because I'm always in a hurry.

* ALWAYS DOUBLECHECK YOUR ENTERED TIME, especially if you are walking away for a minute. I have roasted an item or two, meaning to set it for 30 seconds, but entered 300 (3 minutes) instead. Luckily, no fire, but it might have ended much worse. Now I double check EVERY time after it starts working.Good luck! I really found this a winner technique as it keeps themoff, and lets me work well.

Hope these classic tips from miteyman are helpful. Incidentally, in later posts,he gives more specifics about exceptions, such as a warning to avoid nuking synthetic fabrics as they MELT, to include microfiber.

I don't want to smell burned plastic, and I sure can't wear it...so I just nuke my socksright now. Am also seeking a Sasson hair dryer as recommended by Bill (because they last),but I need one with an easy to use on-off and temp switch. Tough to slide one of thosenearly flush things with barely visible ridges when my hands have ESP lotion bar or whatnoton them! (I am open to links if anyone has a suggestion for a Sasson dryer model)

KJ

>> It's finally sunk in that I can't get the things off my clothes> through normal wash and dry cycles, so I've resigned myself to the> soak method. How long do you have to soak your clothes to drown them> and/or dislodge the eggs?>

I really appreciate all the great advice from everyone. After what

I've just experienced, I'm pretty much sold on the soak method. Two

days ago, I made the mistake of wearing a housecoat that hadn't been

soaked and now I'm paying the price. The things are all over. And I

mean ALL over. This after enjoying almost a week of limited crawling.

Just emerged from an epsom salt/olive oil bath and as usual, the damn

things just migrate to my head. I have a jacuzzi bath and you'd think

the bubbling water would prevent that. I even smeared vaseline (yuck)

around my neck to no avail. So now I'm smearing iodine up my nose,

around my eyes, and into my scalp. What a disgusting feeling to have

the things crawl out of the nose after an iodine application! Now,

they're crawling into the corners of my eyes. Tonight, I fear, Adam

will not be the only one self medicating with liquor.

> >

> > It's finally sunk in that I can't get the things off my clothes

> > through normal wash and dry cycles, so I've resigned myself to the

> > soak method. How long do you have to soak your clothes to drown them

> > and/or dislodge the eggs?

> >

>