RemedySpot.com

WHOO HOO - A great way to start the New Year

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I cannot believe my good fortune!

WW attendance had been spotty for the last couple of weeks. Two weeks ago, we weighed in but didn't stay for meeting as T (my sister and WW buddy) had an event to go to. I always think that there is nothing new in the meetings, but I think the support and seeing familiar faces, some whose names I still can't remember, is really helpful. Maybe once or twice a year, we do the WI and skip the meeting. Plus, there is an effervescent woman, the life of the meeting, that is within 5 lbs of goal, and I'd hate to miss the meeting where she makes it. She has lost about 80 lbs, and we are all waiting for her magic number on the scale. She is funny and has so many "light bulb moments"; she really adds to the support and camaraderie in the meeting.

Last week, T called in sick at the last minute. If I had REALLY tried, I could have gotten to the next meeting (there are 3 or 4 them on Sat mornings at that location and I CAN get there on transit but it takes a while), but I just decided to bag it. The fact that it was 5 days after the Christmas feast was, I'm sure, just a coincidence (grin).

So, we decided we had to be grownups and take our medicine. If I was going alone, I'm pretty sure I would have dropped it by now, and T says the same thing - she dropped 30 lbs in 6 months, but has essentially plateaued for a year. She has 15-20 lbs to go and I have, well, a lot more, maybe 140?

So, two weeks ago, for a week that included the Infamous Annual Holiday Potluck at work, I lost 2 lbs. Yesterday's weigh-in, for two weeks, covering the Christmas feast, and the leftovers, I lost 1 lb. This was the first holiday I can recall, where the food was an interesting adjunct to the event, and certainly something to look forward to, but NOT THE MAIN REASON for the event. I mean, no matter where you are, if you're gonna be there for 4-5 hours, you're probably gonna eat something.

I am stunned. If I think about it, there are some reasons:

While I am still not truly seeking out ways to add exercise, I am consciously not always avoiding it either. With the great transit in this city, I could take the light rail to within 1/2 mile of my house, or I can take a bus which gets me within 1/4 mile. If I take the train, I can still wait for the bus at train station, ride it for 2-3 stops and have the shorter walk. When I take the train, I now just walk the remainder, unless I am loaded with packages AND it's dark and sloppy out.

I ate what I wanted at Christmas, just not in massive quantities. I've taken bits and pieces of goodies, much as a "normie" might, not shoveling it in as I have done in the past.

I did do a long walk on Monday - well, long for me, about a mile or so, to run an errand and caught transit about 1/2-3/4 mile down from where I normally do.

I'm trying to take my thyroid meds. Don't know why I'm so bad about this, but it was one of my New Year's resolutions.

What I told the WW leader, and I think it's true, is I must be doing some things right automatically, without thinking about them. This is wonderful, don't you think? That tells me that maybe it won't always be such a STRUGGLE, that Maya Angelou was right, "When you know better, you do better."

I really should go into work today for a couple hours and get some backlogged data entry done. By walking to train and back, I can add a 1-mile walk to my activities for today. Plus grocery shopping - that should be good for something, walking all those aisles (grin).

Have a great day, everyone!

Eileen in OR

Eileen, that is GREAT that you lost over the holidays!! Wooooohooooo you rock!! Congrats and keep up the great efforts!!

in WAStart the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape in the new year.