RemedySpot.com

's MOTD Sat Nov 22, 2008

Rate this topic

Guest guest

THE RED KETTLE

Saturday, 22 November 2008

During the holiday season, my hometown of New Orleans really gets all dressed up! I'm telling you, there's no place like New Orleans at Christmas time. It's like holiday magic...Christmas decorations are everywhere!

Some of the streets in the French Quarter would be strung with holiday lights. And on many of the balconies that the Quarter is so famously known for, there will be decorations galore. A lot of people even put their Christmas trees on the balcony so everyone could see them. And when I was a kid, every year, there would be a contest for who had the most beautiful Christmas tree. Oh, New Orleans at Christmas is just special!My parents loved to go Christmas shopping at our favorite department store, Maison Blanche. And every Christmas season, right by the store's main entrance on Canal Street, the Salvation Army would be there every holiday season.There was usually a lady ringing a bell as she stood next to the Salvation's Army signature red kettle at Maison Blanche's entrance. And standing next to her each year, would be a gentleman with the most beautiful voice singing Christmas carols. They were both very sweet and I would always say hello to them as we walked into the store.

I would notice men digging into their pockets or ladies searching their purses for change as they approached the kettle. The lady ringing the bell would always say "Thank You and Merry Christmas" to each person who put some change into the kettle. Young and always curious, one holiday season, I asked the lady ringing the bell: "What do you do with all that change, Miss?" "Well, young man," she answered, "we help those in need during this special time of year. If someone is hungry, we make sure they are fed. If someone needs new clothes, we make sure they have clothes to wear. Or if a child has no toys for Christmas, we make sure that child has a reason to smile by getting him or her something for Christmas."Well, after hearing that, I just stood there and began to cry. I couldn't believe how these people with the Salvation Army stood outside all day long, collecting money for those who needed help, especially at Christmas. My mother spotted me crying. "What's wrong, Dicky," she asked?"Mom, I need some change, please. Do you have some spare change in your purse I can have?"My mother, seeing what I wanted to do, counted out almost two dollars in dimes and quarters then handed them to me. I was so happy as I rushed over and put all the change my mother had given me into the red kettle. There didn't seem to b a lot of change in the kettle and it made me very sad. I asked the lady, "Mam, can I ring the bell for a little while?"Well, that sweet lady smiled, handed me the bell and I began to ring away!

"Hey everybody," I began to shout, "we need your help! Please fill up the red kettle with your spare change. We need to buy food, clothing and toys for the children in need! Please, won't you help us help others, p-l-e-e-a-a-s-e?"And do you know what? Lots more people really began coming over and putting more and more change into the red kettle. Why, it was a regular "Miracle on Canal Street!" You should have seen the eyes of the lady who'd been ringing the bell as that kettle began filling up! Know what else? I had so much fun, I even went back the next time to help them out some more. My mother, sweetheart she was, made sandwiches for me to take to the Salvation workers, too!Now you know, there are still red kettles in front of many stores and shopping malls all around the country on this very Saturday. So when you go shopping today and the rest of this holiday season and you see a lady or a man ringing the bell for the Salvation Army, please drop a little something into those red kettles to help those in need this holiday season.Thank You and happy holidays to you!Love,