RemedySpot.com

Grandmothers

Rate this topic

Guest guest

, we have had to give up taking Evan to church at least for the time being. He is at an ackward stage when his size is so much bigger than his mental age and he started screaming for no reason other than to get out and explore. With his dad living with us temporarily, he has been taking care of Evan while we go to church so they have a time of father-son bonding.

BETTY ANN-61 yo, probably undx'd bipolargrandma and guardian toANDREW - 12 yo-- Bipolar/ADHD, HomeschooledEVAN - 9 yo-- nonverbal autism DAVID 7 yo Bipolar/ADHDand mother to ANDREA -32 yo, their mom -Bipolar/ADHDwife to BOB - 72 yo, a very patient and tired grandpa

, good for you! I am so impressed that you are homeschooling your children; that is so much better for an autistic child. I wanted so much for Karac's mother to let me homeschool him, but she wouldn't let me. As I said, I have taken Karac to Sunday school and church for 8 years, but I don't take his little brother and sister with us because it has taken all my attention to just train Karac to sit quietly. Karac was a screamer and it took several years to overcome that. I am amazed now that the congregation put up with us! I used the CD player with earphones; color books; Play Doh etc. In the beginning the Play Doh worked the best because I could grab it the minute he screamed and give it back the second that he stopped screaming to take a breath. I explained to people just like you did, and most people were kind and understanding, but I went home crying many Sundays. Was it worth it? He doesn't scream any more; he made two good friends in Sunday school who became his play dates; he has learned how to appropriately respond to people's greetings; the behavior has generalized to older sister's volleyball games; I can sit through worship service with him, and I haven't cried on Sunday in a long time, and the most amazing thing is; I feel so fortunate to have the opportunity to work with my own autistic grandson. I don't think these words can even begin to convey to you how blessed I feel. Karac has taught me so much, and he has brought me into this community of what I believe to be the smartest, strongest mothers on earth. Pat K

, good for you! I am so impressed that you are homeschooling your children; that is so much better for an autistic child. I wanted so much for Karac's mother to let me homeschool him, but she wouldn't let me. As I said, I have taken Karac to Sunday school and church for 8 years, but I don't take his little brother and sister with us because it has taken all my attention to just train Karac to sit quietly. Karac was a screamer and it took several years to overcome that. I am amazed now that the congregation put up with us! I used the CD player with earphones; color books; Play Doh etc. In the beginning the Play Doh worked the best because I could grab it the minute he screamed and give it back the second that he stopped screaming to take a breath. I explained to people just like you did, and most people were kind and understanding, but I went home crying many Sundays. Was it worth it? He doesn't scream any more; he made two good friends in Sunday school who became his play dates; he has learned how to appropriately respond to people's greetings; the behavior has generalized to older sister's volleyball games; I can sit through worship service with him, and I haven't cried on Sunday in a long time, and the most amazing thing is; I feel so fortunate to have the opportunity to work with my own autistic grandson. I don't think these words can even begin to convey to you how blessed I feel. Karac has taught me so much, and he has brought me into this community of what I believe to be the smartest, strongest mothers on earth. Pat K

Betty, thank God for a father who will keep his autistic son and let you go to church. My son will not have anything to do with Karac. Evan is fortunate to have a father who wants to bond with him; that is so important, and you need the spiritual strength to do all that you do. Blessings, Pat K

Betty, thank God for a father who will keep his autistic son and let you go to church. My son will not have anything to do with Karac. Evan is fortunate to have a father who wants to bond with him; that is so important, and you need the spiritual strength to do all that you do. Blessings, Pat K

I didn't mean to start anything!

Our day care provider (up til August) was a retired

lady, a " grandma " so to speak, and she was fabulous

with . She was watching him pre-diagnosis. I

remember when we did get the diagnosis, she knew we

had taken him and all, and I was really scared to tell

her, for fear that she'd freak over the word and not

want to watch him anymore.

Her response was " Yeah, we thought that's what it

was " . And nothing more was said about it! So she

knew all along too, and it didn't bother her, and she

had a really good understanding of it. We would still

be using her now, except that got physically to

big for her to handle, and so there were problems that

way. But he was saying " Betty " (or " Bebby " ) when he

wasn't even saying Mama yet, and he often showed

skills for her that he wouldn't show at home.

My mother-in-law freaks about everything, so not much

of a surprise really. She freaked initially, then she

freaked again when she went to do some reading on

autism and read that autistic traits run in families.

That's when I got to hear the story about the " wierd

cousin " when she was little that " lived in the barn "

that " nobody talked about " . Then she freaked when we

told her was riding a bus to school (special ed

preschool, small bus), I still haven't figured out

what the deal is with her and the bus.

This place is like a soap opera sometimes, LOL.

That's why we have the puter, to stay in touch with

the sane!

Becky

Well, CB's granny, that was certainly an enlightening trip for you wasn't it? Is CB verbal? The closest Karac comes to engaging another child is a neighbor boy about his age who lives down the street. Karac will get the basketball and say, "go see Mac." When we get to Mac's, I have taught him to ring the doorbell and say, "play basketball?" If Mac is home, he will come out and take turns shooting baskets with Karac as long as Karac wants to which is only about 5 minutes; then he dribbles his basketball back to the house. By the way, I am Karac's grandmother. From one to another, have a good day. Pat K

Betty, how big is ? Karac is big; he is 11 and weighs 111 lbs. He put on 30 of those lbs when he started taking Risperdal. He is on Geodon now and has at least stopped gaining. LOL, Pat K

CB is sorta verbal, when he feels like it.Grandpa and I will pretend to be six today and make him ask to play ie. ride bike, play ball and not respond to pulling or his favorite word which is "help". Only thing we could come up with.

CB's Granny

ps. Had leg cramps all night LOL, from running in the sand, and here I thought I held up extremely well for a granny.

• 4 years later...
Guest guest

This is really a job for you. I am so sick and tired of grandmothers

telling me that they are worried about their grandchildren being so

sick these days. Do SOMETHING with this knowledge! If you know that

this is not the way that things are supposed to be - THEN SAY SOMETHING

LOUD AND CLEAR TO THE PUBLIC, DOCTORS, CONGRESS, ETC! PLEASE!!