RemedySpot.com

Fwd: Health chiefs gag University of Queensland medical students with legal threat The Courier-Mail

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Yeah - this is the sort of intimidation that is used against anyone who speaks out against the dangers of medical treatments. Suppress the truth, punish the whistleblower and deny, deny, deny. But it isn't working any more. The public is getting too well-informed. So keep doing what you're doing medical interests, your days are numbered and your time has passed - thank goodness. Here's to the rise of integrative, respectful medicine that takes in the best of all modalities and works in the best interests of the patient - not the best interests of the back pocket.

Undisclosed-Recipient:;

Sent: Sunday, February 26, 2012 1:03 AM

Subject: Health chiefs gag University of Queensland medical students with legal threat The Courier-Mail

What!!!! is this something like the one where parents can no longer sue Pharmaceutical companies if their children are damaged from their immunisations...

Queensland Health out of control, and has introduced gag orders. The document appeared to be an attempt to shut down media scrutiny of Queensland Health and the university medical school.

in other words it is do or else for Students, yep more democracy down the drain.. and does this apply when they become Dr’s.. so a Student or Dr can no longer be a whistle blower eh..

Gaye

Weather: Brisbane 20°C - 25°C . Rain easing.

Queensland

Health chiefs gag University of Queensland medical students with legal threat

by: Des Houghton

February 25, 2012 12:00AM

Increase Text Size

Decrease Text Size

Print

Email

DIARY OF SHORTCOMINGS: Margaret O'Connell has applied for a transfer. Source: The Courier-Mail

IN AN affront to free speech, Queensland Health has demanded all medical students sign a gag order or be turfed out of their courses.

Students are furious that the University of Queensland medical school has gone along with the ridiculous ban they fear will prevent them from speaking out against wrongdoing or mistreatment of patients.

The students fear they are being coerced into signing the seven-page student deed poll agreeing not to reveal anything.

The medical school's online forum has run hot with complaints.

"Of primary concern is the contents of the document which seems to provide disproportionately harsh penalties for students in relation to extremely vaguely worded 'breaches', most of which seem designed to protect Queensland Health, not patients," said one student.

"Also of concern is the manner in which students are being forced to sign these documents as a 'requirement' of their placement.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.

Recommended Coverage

CMC crime probe into UQ scandal

CMC launches major criminal investigation into university nepotism scandal that claimed the scalps of two of Australia's leading academics.

Meg challenges a sick system

IT wasn't so long ago that Margaret O'Connell was the University of Queensland's model medical student.

Enrolment scandal takes down UQ boss

PROFESSOR Greenfield has been toppled as Vice-Chancellor of the University of Queensland and will leave the post next week after & nbsp; nepotism scandal.

End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.

"If students choose not to sign this deed - a document which the students have had no role in writing or drafting and have not even been informed about - then Queensland Health will disallow the student to continue on a placement, effectively meaning their medical studies are over.

"This penalty is by virtue of paragraph 17 (which says): 'This Deed Poll will continue for the duration of the placement, subject to the student's right to withdraw this consent. The student acknowledges that they may withdraw this consent by providing written notice to Queensland Health and the education provider. A withdrawal of consent will affect the student's ability to continue with the placement'."

The unsigned deed warns that "Queensland Health may seek and obtain an ex parte interlocutory or final injunction to prohibit or restrain the student, from any breach or threatened breach of this Deed Poll".

The deed contains a direct threat of legal action. It says: "In the event of a breach or threatened breach of the terms of this Deed Poll, Queensland Health shall be entitled to seek the issue of an injunction restraining the student from committing any breach of this Deed Poll without the necessity of proving that any actual damage has been sustained or is likely to be sustained by Queensland Health."

Another student said there were already adequate privacy regulations.

She added: "It strikes me that this is Queensland Health out of control. With an election imminent, they are inappropriately trying to control all aspects of information about their organisation and inappropriately entitle themselves to take harsh punitive action against students.

"The document seems to have more to do with protection from comment or criticism about Queensland Health than patient privacy."

Ramsay, a student from the US, said the document appeared to be an attempt to shut down media scrutiny of Queensland Health and the university medical school.

"It's very disconcerting," he said. "It appears to be a cover-up. The medical profession is dangerously close to allowing the Hippocratic Oath to degenerate into the Hypocritical Oath."

He said the medical school was racked with discontent following the nepotism scandal that claimed the scalps of vice-chancellor Greenfield and his deputy Keniger.

Ramsay said he wondered whether it was linked to the controversy surrounding medical student Margaret O'Connell, who kept a diary of shortcomings at the school.

O'Connell said students were not properly supervised during a seven-week "rotation" at a Queensland private hospital catering chiefly for the mentally ill. She said doctors made fun of suicidal patients, including one who had threatened to jump into the Brisbane River.

O'Connell complained doctors would not let students attend consultations with them. And doctors made it clear to students they didn't care whether they turned up. The doctors didn't even know the students' names and didn't want to know.

"I suspect this gag order is directly or indirectly related to the case of Meg," said Ramsay.

O'Connell said she was asked to see a psychiatrist and failed on a rotation to far north Queensland.

But her case was strengthened when she won a glowing report card from Dr Chilcott,

director of medical services at Gove District Hospital in the Northern Territory.

Chilcott went further, accusing the university of a witch-hunt.

In evidence tendered to the university, he said: "I applaud your courage in taking on the Queensland medical establishment. As you are aware, your time in Gove was cut short by similar slurs and innuendos concerning your mental state. I had no concerns about your time at Gove.

"I was contacted by the medical school to provide reports.

"There was no doubt in my mind that the medical school simply wanted me to falsify reports and would have been quite happy for the whole mess up here to simply go away. I told the medical school that I had many concerns about how your case was handled.

"If someone had concerns about your mental state at that time then who better to look into the matter than myself with 38 years of GP experience. I also had at that time a GP trainee who is very experienced in mental health because she was originally on a psychiatric training pathway before switching to general practice.

"From my perspective your case had all the signs of a witch-hunt."

Chilcott saw no signs of mental illness, adding: "I did see someone who is 'eccentric'. However, do not take offence at this because I am considered 'eccentric' as well."

He said he was happy to support O'Connell's complaints to the CMC and the Ombudsman.

O'Connell has applied for a transfer to other universities. Her complaint is being considered internally.

CONTACT DES HOUGHTON

DES HOUGHTON ON FACEBOOK

Increase Text Size

Decrease Text Size

Print

Email

Add to Digg

Add to del.icio.us

Add to Facebook

Add to Kwoff

Add to Myspace

Add to Newsvine