RemedySpot.com

maybe OT: need advice - want to avoid vaccination interrogation at the ER

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi, I don't know if this is off-topic or not.  My 4 year old daughter was spinning around and fell into the table and has a 1/2 inch cut just under her eyebrow.  It is slightly gaping and I'm trying to decide if she needs stitches or if I can just use butterfly enclosures or something called steri-strips that I just read about (medical tape to enclose wounds).  I want to do the best thing for her so there won't be a big scar near her eye, but I have to admit that I am scared to bring her to the ER or urgent care because she is completely unvaxed and I just know I'll be pressured to give her a tetanus vaccine at least.  SO, do you wise people think I am safe to treat her at home or do you think she needs stitches?  

Thanks for your help,

I think you're safe to treat her at home, but if you think she might need stitches, I wouldn't let worries over a tetanus shot get in the way. What better time to test yourself under pressure than a time when it couldn't be less of a risk for tetanus? Surely you don't have tetanus on the table. Besides, she's not supposed to get a tetanus shot if she's never been vaccinated. If anything, they are supposed to give something called tetanus immunoglobulin (although someone here just had an unvaxed child get the wrong one), but that's pooled blood from other people--ick. I wouldn't get either.

And you might be surprised. I've found the ER docs actually pressure less than a pediatrician. I might be inclined to take her in. It could even put your mind at rest that all she needs is the butterfly bandage. How does it look tonight?

Winnie maybe OT: need advice - want to avoid vaccination interrogation at the ERvaccinations > Hi, I don't know if this is off-topic or not. My 4 year old > daughter was> spinning around and fell into the table and has a 1/2 inch cut > just under> her eyebrow. It is slightly gaping and I'm trying to decide if > she needs> stitches or if I can just use butterfly enclosures or something called> steri-strips that I just read about (medical tape to enclose > wounds). I> want to do the best thing for her so there won't be a big scar > near her> eye, but I have to admit that I am scared to bring her to the ER > or urgent> care because she is completely unvaxed and I just know I'll be > pressured to> give her a tetanus vaccine at least. SO, do you wise people > think I am> safe to treat her at home or do you think she needs stitches?> > Thanks for your help, >

We were at the ER recently and when the DR. asked if she is up to date on shots, I just said that she was with Tetanus. The Dr. left it at that. They don't seem to really are about anything other than Tetanus here...

wharrison@... <wharrison@...>;

To:

<Vaccinations >;

Subject:

Re: maybe OT: need advice - want to avoid vaccination interrogation at the ER

Sent:

Mon, Jan 9, 2012 2:07:17 AM

I think you're safe to treat her at home, but if you think she might need stitches, I wouldn't let worries over a tetanus shot get in the way. What better time to test yourself under pressure than a time when it couldn't be less of a risk for tetanus? Surely you don't have tetanus on the table. Besides, she's not supposed to get a tetanus shot if she's never been vaccinated. If anything, they are supposed to give something called tetanus immunoglobulin (although someone here just had an unvaxed child get the wrong one), but that's pooled blood from other people--ick. I wouldn't get either.

And you might be surprised. I've found the ER docs actually pressure less than a pediatrician. I might be inclined to take her in. It could even put your mind at rest that all she needs is the butterfly bandage. How does it look tonight?

Winnie maybe OT: need advice - want to avoid vaccination interrogation at the ERvaccinations > Hi, I don't know if this is off-topic or not. My 4 year old > daughter was> spinning around and fell into the table and has a 1/2 inch cut > just under> her eyebrow. It is slightly gaping and I'm trying to decide if > she needs> stitches or if I can just use butterfly enclosures or something called> steri-strips that I just read about (medical tape to enclose > wounds). I> want to do the best thing for her so there won't be a big scar > near her> eye, but I have to admit that I am scared to bring her to the ER > or urgent> care because she is completely unvaxed and I just know I'll be > pressured

to> give her a tetanus vaccine at least. SO, do you wise people > think I am> safe to treat her at home or do you think she needs stitches?> > Thanks for your help, >

Sometimes I give them a hard time. "What do you mean up-to-date? Oh, for infectious diseases? What does that have to do with a broken toe?" They were particular worried about chicken pox for that visit!!

Winnie Re: maybe OT: need advice - want to avoid vaccination interrogation at the ERVaccinations > We were at the ER recently and when the DR. asked if she is up > to date on shots, I just said that she was with Tetanus. The > Dr. left it at that. They don't seem to really are about > anything other than Tetanus here...>