RemedySpot.com

Re: maybe OT: need advice - want to avoid vaccination interrogation

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Winnie, thanks for the encouragement.  Here is what we did.  My hubby and I decided she would need stitches because it would be hard for the butterfly strips to keep tension on her eyelid while it moves.  Since I get more emotional than he does when the kids have to go through pain, he took her in to the ER.  He was gutsy and and when they asked him (3 different people) if her shots were up to date, he just said " yup " .  He decided that in our eyes, for our family's schedule, she is " up to date " , and why bother explaining all the details to them.  I hope that doesn't come back to bite us in the future.  I'm the one that will have to take her in to the doctor (new doctor because we just moved) to get them out and I don't think I can pull that off like he can.  I am more of a black and white thinker and a terrible liar.  What do you guys think of the decision he made to kind of mislead them our unvaxed status?  Was that ethical?

By the way, she actually fell asleep while waiting for the topical numbing to take effect and stayed asleep during the few stitches!  Huge relief.I know I need to toughen up in standing up for our decision - I just hate confrontation, and I've had several of those in the past with medical personnel, so my default reaction is to treat everything at home, but sometimes you do need medical help!  Ugh.  It is hard.

-

It is hard. I hate dealing with it, too. I once had a nurse at the ER registration write up a lot of comments about how I was breastfeeding my toddler, which side, how long....I mean, really. And I only knew this because they mistakenly sent a copy of it in the mail with something else I requested. Unprofessional right down the line. It's that kind of experience that toughens you up for the next.

Anyway, a lot of people say that their children are up-to-date. If the docs wanted to know if your child had a previous tetanus shot, they should have said exactly that. So, no lies told. Plus, there is concern by some people that the hospital might turn on you and call social services in, especially if you refuse a booster.

I personally like to tell them the whole truth, so if I turn my back they don't whip out their needles. Plus, it's good to model for your child what to tell the docs about vaccinating. But time enough for that later.

That's a good point about keeping the tension on the eyelid. And she slept through the stitches??Very nice. The docs must have been good to carry that off. You'll do fine getting the stitches out. If the tetanus issue comes up, it's a good a time as any to let them know you don't do vaccines. See the response and if you want to stay on with this new doc. And that's how I phrase it "We don't do those," smile, scoff, wave of hand.

Winnie

Re: maybe OT: need advice - want to avoid vaccination interrogationvaccinations > Winnie, thanks for the encouragement. Here is what we did. My > hubby and I> decided she would need stitches because it would be hard for the > butterflystrips to keep tension on her eyelid while it moves. > Since I get more> emotional than he does when the kids have to go through pain, he > took her> in to the ER. He was gutsy and and when they asked him (3 different> people) if her shots were up to date, he just said "yup". He > decided that> in our eyes, for our family's schedule, she is "up to date", and > why bother> explaining all the details to them. I hope that doesn't come > back to bite> us in the future. I'm the one that will have to take her in to > the doctor> (new doctor because we just moved) to get them out and I don't > think I can> pull that off like he can. I am more of a black and white > thinker and a> terrible liar. What do you guys think of the decision he made > to kind of> mislead them our unvaxed status? Was that ethical?> > By the way, she actually fell asleep while waiting for the > topical numbing> to take effect and stayed asleep during the few stitches! Huge > relief.> I know I need to toughen up in standing up for our decision - I > just hate> confrontation, and I've had several of those in the past with medical> personnel, so my default reaction is to treat everything at > home, but> sometimes you do need medical help! Ugh. It is hard.> > ->