Hi,

I brought my son to a walk in clinic today to remove a deer tick (I

am a wimp). They want him to take an antibiotic to prevent Lyme's disease in

the event the tick was a carrier. Does anyone know if this works? I am not big

on medications at all and he has had one time before...but I also really don't

want him to get Lyme disease. Also, they asked if we were up to date on Tetanus

vaccine. I told the Dr. no and said that I thought that was only necessary for

deep wounds. He said even a tick bite could theoretically be an opening for the

infection. Just curious if anyone has ever heard of that?

Thanks,

Guest guest

We live near the woods and pull ticks off ourselves and our pets daily in spring. We don't think anything of it. I search my daughter real good daily. I believe the tick needs to be embedded for a little while to get Lyme. I wouldn't do the abx, but it's really your choice. As far as the tetanus, I think I literally would have laughed out loud at them. That is utterly ridiculous. HollySent from my iPadOn Apr 4, 2012, at 12:14 PM, "jgq2010" <ericandjamie@...> wrote:

Hi,

I brought my son to a walk in clinic today to remove a deer tick (I

am a wimp). They want him to take an antibiotic to prevent Lyme's disease in the event the tick was a carrier. Does anyone know if this works? I am not big on medications at all and he has had one time before...but I also really don't want him to get Lyme disease. Also, they asked if we were up to date on Tetanus vaccine. I told the Dr. no and said that I thought that was only necessary for deep wounds. He said even a tick bite could theoretically be an opening for the infection. Just curious if anyone has ever heard of that?

Thanks,

Guest guest

What I say will sound scary and I don't mean to do that to you, but

I feel I have to say it because taking tick bites too lightly has

had consequences for a lot of folks.

Now, I generally don't run to antibiotics for everything, if anything.

But in this case I would do it.

The impact lyme is having around the world is growing and this is one

bacterium which does not do well with only homeopathic treatments.

Even people who ARE getting ABX are not all getting well.

Not because it isn't worth doing but because the bacteria are incredibly tough, resilient

and deceptive.

It so happens I am doing a lot of research on it because a test I took in Aug 2010

for lyme had one reactive band, and when I had called back in the day for the results, I was only told"it's negative, you're fine."

Turns out the test was likely a very outdated test, that lyme is in the middle of a huge war in the medical

world, that lyme is not simple to cure and can devestate the body, kill you or make you WISH

you were dead if left untreated.

I don't know if I have it and I kind of doubt it.

Even the tests are not foolproof.

The standard CDC test is pretty much outdated.

In fact if you ever feel you need testing or your doctor wants to do it,

request a Western Blot from IGeneX labs.

Another options is Stonybrook labs but in that case you want to request

that all bands be tested and not just the ones specified by the 1994 Lyme Symposium

of Dearborn MI.

I am looking into a better Western Blot test and getting insurance to hopefully cover it. Just for peace of mind.

Depending on how late you treat, the antibiotics themselves can be very harsh.

If you start early though, it's not bad.

You can always keep your child on a course of probiotics.

Think of it as giving a little abx now to prevent a LOT of them later, along with

far more potential pain and suffering, should he be infected.

Ticks can also carry other diseases, many of which can be harsh.

Erlichia, Babesiosis, Tularemia, Bartonella, to name just a few.

Having said all of that, not all ticks are carriers and there is every likelihood your child is just fine.

I'm just saying you really don't want to find out the hard way.

A lot of doctors won't even start the ABX without waiting 30 days and then giving a CDC type of test,

which may give a false negative.

I say, why wait until the bacterium settles in?

It's really not worth it.

Learn to do a lot of tick searches and to remove them.

I don't mean to sound rough but I don't think you would feel good if you or someone

you loved suffered from a debilitating illness over delay of tick removal because

you were feeling squeamish.

Here are a couple of sites:

http://www.naturalhealthsource.us/articles/lyme.html

www.lymediseaseassociation.org

www.ilads.org

OQueens NY USA

From: jgq2010 <ericandjamie@...>Vaccinations Sent: Wednesday, April 4, 2012 12:14 PMSubject: tick bite

Hi,I brought my son to a walk in clinic today to remove a deer tick (Iam a wimp). They want him to take an antibiotic to prevent Lyme's disease in the event the tick was a carrier. Does anyone know if this works? I am not big on medications at all and he has had one time before...but I also really don't want him to get Lyme disease. Also, they asked if we were up to date on Tetanus vaccine. I told the Dr. no and said that I thought that was only necessary for deep wounds. He said even a tick bite could theoretically be an opening for the infection. Just curious if anyone has ever heard of that?Thanks,

Guest guest

Do antibiotics work for Lyme Disease? It's controversial but they can't treat an infection that isn't there. I wouldn't even consider it without confirmation that there was an infection, and even then I'm on the fence.

They're nuts to think every time you have even a small wound that it's Tetanus Time. There has to be tetanus in the immediate area and you have to come in contact with it. Not to mention, but I will, the vaccine doesn't work anyway. You can get tetanus over and over again, so if you aren't immune once you get it naturally, how could a vaccine make you immune? It just doesn't work that way.

I recommend you get a little tick scoop. We got ours from the pet food store: (http://www.tickedoff.com/) It has a notch in sort of like the back end of a hammer. It surrounds the tick, then you just pluck the tick out. It takes a bit of practice, and you'll have to put your wimpiness aside, but it works pretty well. My 12 year-old is the resident tick picker in our house. He's a master at it. My husband uses a paper towel to pull them out. I sometimes use tweezers if I can't grab hold with the scoop which happens sometimes if the tick is too small.

Winnie

tick biteVaccinations > Hi,> I brought my son to a walk in clinic today to remove a deer tick (I> am a wimp). They want him to take an antibiotic to prevent > Lyme's disease in the event the tick was a carrier. Does anyone > know if this works? I am not big on medications at all and he > has had one time before...but I also really don't want him to > get Lyme disease. Also, they asked if we were up to date on > Tetanus vaccine. I told the Dr. no and said that I thought that > was only necessary for deep wounds. He said even a tick bite > could theoretically be an opening for the infection. Just > curious if anyone has ever heard of that?> Thanks, > >

Guest guest

They wanted to give my son antibiotics for a bite last year too, and I never even saw a tick on him. (And it was right on the top of his forearm, so I couldn't have missed it) Something bit him, and it swelled up and the doctor said "well, it COULD be a tick bite, so I think you should give him the antibiotic." She made a circle around the swollen bite, and said if it got bigger than the circle, I should definitely give him the antibiotic. So, I filled the prescription, even though I wasn't sure I was going to give it to him even if it did go outside the circle. But, it went right down the next day and he was fine. My point is, they're overzealous with the antibiotics. I think they wanted him to have a tetanus too, but I didn't. In fact, he got something in his eye last month and the doctors recommended a tetanus in response to THAT too!

Guest guest

Wow. That does sound overzealous. That's the opposite of my doctor who says

"To give harsh medicine without evidence of disease is irresponsible.:

And I generally agree with him, but I do have great lyme concerns.I admit I am lyme-HYPER-aware.

It CAN kill. It dosen't often but I think that's because most folks who get it, do get

diagnosed long before that.

It killled the dog of a friend's friend years ago in New Jersey.

OQueens NY USA

From: "Kelloggs263@..." <Kelloggs263@...>Vaccinations Sent: Friday, April 6, 2012 10:41 AMSubject: Re: tick bite

They wanted to give my son antibiotics for a bite last year too, and I never even saw a tick on him. (And it was right on the top of his forearm, so I couldn't have missed it) Something bit him, and it swelled up and the doctor said "well, it COULD be a tick bite, so I think you should give him the antibiotic." She made a circle around the swollen bite, and said if it got bigger than the circle, I should definitely give him the antibiotic. So, I filled the prescription, even though I wasn't sure I was going to give it to him even if it did go outside the circle. But, it went right down the next day and he was fine. My point is, they're overzealous with the antibiotics. I think they wanted him to have a tetanus too, but I didn't. In fact, he got something in his eye last month and the doctors recommended a tetanus in response to THAT too!

Guest guest

Angie,

I am so glad you got better. There are folks with lyme who think those "side effects"

that are often referred to as post-lyme syndrome, are not at all post-lyme,

but rather, caused by an ongoing infection that was not cured as was believed

by the treating doctor.

Not saying that to be scary. Just saying what I've heard.

If you are 100 better today then that is great and it's what's most important,

as clinical manifestations are the priority markers over testing, for

deciding if somone has lyme and whether to treat.

OQueens NY USA

From: "yoyolipgloss@..." <yoyolipgloss@...>Vaccinations Sent: Wednesday, April 4, 2012 9:55 PMSubject: Re: tick bite

Dear ,When I was younger I was bit by a tick, they tested the tick and it did not have lyme. When I was 26 yrs old I was bit by a tick again, I never noticed the bite and I never had a bulls eye, I began to get sick, flu like symptoms. Every doctor I went to told me I had the flu. I got worse and worse. Finally I went to my little brother's pediatrician who immediately took blood. It was positive for lyme. By this time it was a month and a half later and it was beginning to mess with my thinking. I was getting confused, I went to the bank one day and could not recall my social security or checking account number that I knew by heart. The doctor put me on an antibiotic for 1 month and the symptoms went away but then I was left with a whole mess of side effects I guess that the lyme had caused. I did natural treatments for all of these issues. It took me 2 years to get my energy levels back to where they used to be. I am 100

better today.Point is, don't mess with lyme, this bacteria requires an antibiotic and that's why we have antibiotics. Ticks can also carry other diseases, many of which can be harsh.Erlichia, Babesiosis, Tularemia, Bartonella, to name just a few.Angie

Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

Sender: Vaccinations

Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2012 10:51:39 -0700 (PDT)

Vaccinations <Vaccinations >

ReplyVaccinations

Subject: Re: tick bite

What I say will sound scary and I don't mean to do that to you, but

I feel I have to say it because taking tick bites too lightly has

had consequences for a lot of folks.

Now, I generally don't run to antibiotics for everything, if anything.

But in this case I would do it.

The impact lyme is having around the world is growing and this is one

bacterium which does not do well with only homeopathic treatments.

Even people who ARE getting ABX are not all getting well.

Not because it isn't worth doing but because the bacteria are incredibly tough, resilient

and deceptive.

It so happens I am doing a lot of research on it because a test I took in Aug 2010

for lyme had one reactive band, and when I had called back in the day for the results, I was only told"it's negative, you're fine."

Turns out the test was likely a very outdated test, that lyme is in the middle of a huge war in the medical

world, that lyme is not simple to cure and can devestate the body, kill you or make you WISH

you were dead if left untreated.

I don't know if I have it and I kind of doubt it.

Even the tests are not foolproof.

The standard CDC test is pretty much outdated.

In fact if you ever feel you need testing or your doctor wants to do it,

request a Western Blot from IGeneX labs.

Another options is Stonybrook labs but in that case you want to request

that all bands be tested and not just the ones specified by the 1994 Lyme Symposium

of Dearborn MI.

I am looking into a better Western Blot test and getting insurance to hopefully cover it. Just for peace of mind.

Depending on how late you treat, the antibiotics themselves can be very harsh.

If you start early though, it's not bad.

You can always keep your child on a course of probiotics.

Think of it as giving a little abx now to prevent a LOT of them later, along with

far more potential pain and suffering, should he be infected.

Ticks can also carry other diseases, many of which can be harsh.

Erlichia, Babesiosis, Tularemia, Bartonella, to name just a few.

Having said all of that, not all ticks are carriers and there is every likelihood your child is just fine.

I'm just saying you really don't want to find out the hard way.

A lot of doctors won't even start the ABX without waiting 30 days and then giving a CDC type of test,

which may give a false negative.

I say, why wait until the bacterium settles in?

It's really not worth it.

Learn to do a lot of tick searches and to remove them.

I don't mean to sound rough but I don't think you would feel good if you or someone

you loved suffered from a debilitating illness over delay of tick removal because

you were feeling squeamish.

Here are a couple of sites:

http://www.naturalhealthsource.us/articles/lyme.html

www.lymediseaseassociation.org

www.ilads.org

OQueens NY USA

From: jgq2010 <ericandjamie@...>Vaccinations Sent: Wednesday, April 4, 2012 12:14 PMSubject: tick bite

Hi,I brought my son to a walk in clinic today to remove a deer tick (Iam a wimp). They want him to take an antibiotic to prevent Lyme's disease in the event the tick was a carrier. Does anyone know if this works? I am not big on medications at all and he has had one time before...but I also really don't want him to get Lyme disease. Also, they asked if we were up to date on Tetanus vaccine. I told the Dr. no and said that I thought that was only necessary for deep wounds. He said even a tick bite could theoretically be an opening for the infection. Just curious if anyone has ever heard of that?Thanks,

Guest guest

Right, that is my understanding also. The infection is still there when the antibiotics stop because they didn't work. They suppress the symptoms and give the illusion of working. That's one reason people keep taking them for years because they think the antibiotics work just because the symptoms go away. It could be, as Angie pointed out, another type of tick disease. Some doctors will alternate antibiotics.

I am still hesitant about trusting antibiotics to help since the experts are so torn. That's one reason I would want the disease confirmed first, not just to assume any tick you find on you might have it.

FYI--A friend of mine got rid of her LD by using an infra-red sauna--no antibiotics.

Winnie tick bite> >>> >>> >> > >>Hi,> >>I brought my son to a walk in clinic today to remove a deer > tick (I> >>am a wimp). They want him to take an antibiotic to prevent > Lyme's disease in the event the tick was a carrier. Does anyone > know if this works? I am not big on medications at all and he > has had one time before...but I also really don't want him to > get Lyme disease. Also, they asked if we were up to date on > Tetanus vaccine. I told the Dr. no and said that I thought that > was only necessary for deep wounds. He said even a tick bite > could theoretically be an opening for the infection. Just > curious if anyone has ever heard of that?> >>Thanks, > >>> >>> >>> >>> >> >> >

Guest guest

I usually lurk but have to chime in. There are studies out now that show

that lyme has several forms. The usual initial form is the spirochete.

And doxy does work against the spirochete, if you are willing to use abx.

But lyme is tricky and it has been shown to switch to two other forms, a

cyst form and a " slime " form that are resistant to doxy. So while doxy is

killing the spirochetes it appears that the lyme switch into other forms

and remain in the body, causing relapse later. There are scientific

studies showing that herbs: samento, cumanda, and banderol are effective

against the cyst and slime forms...best used if combined with doxy so all

forms can be treated.

If you are against abx or herbals, this won't help, but....personally

having battled lyme in two dogs now for 10 years I know more about it than

I'd like and even if abx are not all that healthy, to me the risk of that

is less than that of the abx. My older dog is now testing negative for

lyme. I don't think his went chronic. My younger seems to have gone

chronic, probably due to having been vax'd by the breeder not too soon

before he got bitten the first time. When I give doxy I also give mega

doses of high grade human probiotics to protect the guts and liver support

factors to support the liver. I just have seen too many dogs end up dying

of lyme nephritis and people with bad fallout from lyme. I fear Tick

diseases more than most other things.

We don't know enough about these TBDs yet and they can be very lethal. It

is matter of picking your poison really. Abx are not great, but at least

it is more of a known evil than the tick diseases...and I have no doubt

there are tick diseases that we dont' even know exist yet.

Not trying to be a rebel, just sharing a reason that explains lyme

recurrence.

> Right, that is my understanding also. The infection is still there when

> the antibiotics stop because they didn't work. They suppress the symptoms

> and give the illusion of working. That's one reason people keep taking

> them for years because they think the antibiotics work just because the

> symptoms go away. It could be, as Angie pointed out, another type of tick

> disease. Some doctors will alternate antibiotics.

>