RemedySpot.com

Board of Ed policy on immunizations rewritten

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I'm very excited about something. Last June, I emailed the chair of my local school's Board of Ed policy committee regarding health assessment and immunization requirements in their policy book.

Here's part of that email:

"The current policy discusses both requirements, but only cites the health assessment statute, not the statute for immunizations. When the topic of exemptions comes up, it only mentions those for health assessments, but not for immunizations. It seems to me if specific information is being given for one, it should be given for both since they are being discussed together throughout the section.

It also states that parents must request a health assessment exemption from the superintendent. However, state law doesn't mention requests or the superintendent, just that parents give written notice of objection to anyone in charge, no permission needed.

My bigger concern is the lack of disclosure of legal exemptions to immunization requirements, per state law, both in the BOE policies and on the immunization link on the school website. I'd like to make sure that parents are aware of their legal rights regarding this."

Success! Both statutes are cited by numbers now, halfway down the first page exemptions are mentioned in detail with religious exemptions listed first, the references to the superintendent and making requests for exemption was deleted, and most important there are LINKS to the exemption forms the state provides. On top of this, the exemption forms are also linked on the home page of the school website! Two places! I'm so excited.

Winnie