RemedySpot.com

Re: Shingles vax for 80+

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

I wouldn't consider this "trusted" but the vaccine package insert from the manufacturer will list the known effects: (http://www.merck.com/product/usa/pi_circulars/z/zostavax/zostavax_pi2.pdf)

But it's not just the side effects that are important. It's whether the vaccine has the effect of actually working to prevent shingles. On page 3, they even admit it doesn't work in all people and they don't know if it works past four years.

On pg. 9 there's a table showing the "effectiveness" rates. They tested about 19,000 people with the vaccine and about 19,000 with a placebo. 315 cases of shingles occurred in the vaccinated group and twice that in the placebo group. They call this a 95% effectiveness rate. In reality, those numbers are both so small statistically to draw any conclusions from (.02% compared to .03%). Minuscule. And they only monitored the people for "at least 30 days"--the implication being they did it for longer but if they did, they would have given that number. So, one month. That's it. Where do they even get four years from??

Page 7 shows post-marketing adverse reactions, including anaphylactic reactions. And all vaccines have the potential to cause death. You can also check VAERS for reported reactions.

But if your friend doesn't want to look into this, he'll probably go along with his contemporaries. How long should friends stay away from him after the shot? I don't think you can stay away from freshly vaccinated people. They're everywhere. Maybe a few weeks? It's all guesswork.

Winnie Shingles vax for 80+Vaccinations > A close friend is being pushed by his contemporaries to have a > shingles shot and prefers not to look into the issue. What are > trusted sources of effects? How long should friends avoid close > contact if he does get the shot?> >

Guest guest

Oh, and I just noticed the 80+ in your subject heading. Your friend's age? On pg. 5 they give info on cardiovascular events occurring more in that vaccinated age group (followed for a whopping 42 days) and also a higher rate of congestive heart failure in those who were vaccinated (again, minuscule numbers but if believes it for one area, then they should in all).

Also, only 1,263 studied were age 80+ (pg. 8).

And on pg. 9 it is stated that efficacy is highest in the 60-69 age group and declines with increasing age.

Winnie

Shingles vax for 80+> Vaccinations > > > A close friend is being pushed by his contemporaries to have a > > shingles shot and prefers not to look into the issue. What are > > trusted sources of effects? How long should friends avoid > close > > contact if he does get the shot?> > > > >

Guest guest

I know a lady that got her shingles vaccine. She is in her 50's. Everytime she gets sick with just a cold she breaks out in shingles now! It's horrible because she is sick all the time.

Vaccinations From: wharrison@...Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2012 13:02:56 +0000Subject: Re: Shingles vax for 80+

Oh, and I just noticed the 80+ in your subject heading. Your friend's age? On pg. 5 they give info on cardiovascular events occurring more in that vaccinated age group (followed for a whopping 42 days) and also a higher rate of congestive heart failure in those who were vaccinated (again, minuscule numbers but if believes it for one area, then they should in all).

Also, only 1,263 studied were age 80+ (pg. 8).

And on pg. 9 it is stated that efficacy is highest in the 60-69 age group and declines with increasing age.

Winnie

Shingles vax for 80+> Vaccinations > > > A close friend is being pushed by his contemporaries to have a > > shingles shot and prefers not to look into the issue. What are > > trusted sources of effects? How long should friends avoid > close > > contact if he does get the shot?> > > > >

Guest guest

That sounded kind of young to get the vaccine to me so I looked at the CDC site. They recommend it for age 60 and up, but the FDA approved it for 50+. Interesting that they wouldn't agree on that.

Anyway, that's terrible that she keeps getting shingles all the time. It probably really just never goes away. Stupid vaccine.

Winnie

Shingles vax for 80+> > Vaccinations > > > > > A close friend is being pushed by his contemporaries to have > a > > > shingles shot and prefers not to look into the issue. What > are > > > trusted sources of effects? How long should friends avoid > > close > > > contact if he does get the shot?> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >

Guest guest

Now that I think about it she would be about 60yrs old but she had a a few years back. It is a horrible thing. I heard it wasn't contagious though, is that true?

Vaccinations From: wharrison@...Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2012 03:36:55 +0000Subject: Re: RE: Shingles vax for 80+

That sounded kind of young to get the vaccine to me so I looked at the CDC site. They recommend it for age 60 and up, but the FDA approved it for 50+. Interesting that they wouldn't agree on that.

Anyway, that's terrible that she keeps getting shingles all the time. It probably really just never goes away. Stupid vaccine.

Winnie

Shingles vax for 80+> > Vaccinations > > > > > A close friend is being pushed by his contemporaries to have > a > > > shingles shot and prefers not to look into the issue. What > are > > > trusted sources of effects? How long should friends avoid > > close > > > contact if he does get the shot?> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >

Guest guest

Shingles is not contagious, meaning someone can't catch shingles from someone who has it. But the virus that causes shingles can cause chicken pox in someone who never had CP before.

Interestingly, I just found another tidbit about the vaccine. The CDC doesn't say it will prevent shingles, just that it can "reduce the risk of shingles and its associated pain in people age 60 years and older." Reduce the risk, not prevent the disease.

Winnie Shingles vax for 80+> > > Vaccinations > > > > > > > A close friend is being pushed by his contemporaries to > have > > a > > > > shingles shot and prefers not to look into the issue. What > > are > > > > trusted sources of effects? How long should friends avoid > > > close > > > > contact if he does get the shot?> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >

Guest guest

Right - which then if someone gets chicken pox, doesn't that open them up to

getting shingles later? I'm wondering because I got a case of shingles last

fall. I didn't know what it was at first - but then I realized I had been

getting shingles my whole life ( I jsut didn't know that was what it was.) I

would get small patches on my chin or cheek, but I thought it was part of

getting cold sores ( I am very susceptible to cold sores). After I got

shingles, I recognized it. I had chicken pox as a child. Never got the vaccine.

Incidentally, all 6 of my children got chicken pox after I had my shingles

outbreak. So I've wondered about my passing on shingles (in a round a bout

way).....

>

> Shingles is not contagious, meaning someone can't catch shingles from someone

who has it. But the virus that causes shingles can cause chicken pox in someone

who never had CP before.

>

> Interestingly, I just found another tidbit about the vaccine. The CDC doesn't

say it will prevent shingles, just that it can " reduce the risk of shingles and

its associated pain in people age 60 years and older. " Reduce the risk, not

prevent the disease.

>

>

Guest guest

You could have passed on chicken pox, not shingles. Be glad your children got it. It's a good thing, and if it was from you, then they got real CP, not a vaccine strain.

As with most diseases, you get sick when your immune system is not functioning well. Not everyone gets shingles. And that's another thing to tell that elderly friend--how did he manage not to get shingles all these years? Something else must be at play if there was no vaccine.

Winnie Re: Shingles vax for 80+Vaccinations > Right - which then if someone gets chicken pox, doesn't that > open them up to getting shingles later? I'm wondering because I > got a case of shingles last fall. I didn't know what it was at > first - but then I realized I had been getting shingles my whole > life ( I jsut didn't know that was what it was.) I would get > small patches on my chin or cheek, but I thought it was part of > getting cold sores ( I am very susceptible to cold sores). > After I got shingles, I recognized it. I had chicken pox as a > child. Never got the vaccine. Incidentally, all 6 of my > children got chicken pox after I had my shingles outbreak. So > I've wondered about my passing on shingles (in a round a bout > way).....> > >> > Shingles is not contagious, meaning someone can't catch > shingles from someone who has it. But the virus that causes > shingles can cause chicken pox in someone who never had CP > before. > > > > Interestingly, I just found another tidbit about the vaccine. > The CDC doesn't say it will prevent shingles, just that it can > "reduce the risk of shingles and its associated pain in people > age 60 years and older." Reduce the risk, not prevent the > disease. > > > > > >

Guest guest

Right - I was very glad they got it. My older boy held out (didn't get it till

everyone else had taken turns getting it) and I was actually relieved when he

finally got it :) I just wondered if since now they have had " true " chicken pox

- if it eventually will make them more susceptible to shingles. Either way - we

will NOT be getting any vaccines.

I like your idea to say " how did he manage NOT to get shingles all these

years " ...put it back on them, maybe get them thinking in a different way.

>

> You could have passed on chicken pox, not shingles. Be glad your children got

it. It's a good thing, and if it was from you, then they got real CP, not a

vaccine strain.

>

>

Guest guest

Historically, it seems that once people had chicken pox, we got natural "boosters" over the years just by being in a culture where children had chicken pox as a matter of course. When chicken pox was common, everyone got it and everyone got boosted over the years by re-exposure. Now it is rare and getting the re-exposure "boost" does not happen as a matter of course, thus the shingles. Maybe one of the best jobs for that would be teacher in a kindergarten where children still get chicken pox.That would make an interesting study, to see if kindergarten teachers in classes that do not do the chicken pox vaccine are less likely to get shingles? From: Brett <liverbaileys@...> Vaccinations Sent: Sunday, June 3, 2012 4:07 PM Subject: Re: Shingles vax for 80+

Right - I was very glad they got it. My older boy held out (didn't get it till everyone else had taken turns getting it) and I was actually relieved when he finally got it :) I just wondered if since now they have had "true" chicken pox - if it eventually will make them more susceptible to shingles. Either way - we will NOT be getting any vaccines.

I like your idea to say "how did he manage NOT to get shingles all these years"...put it back on them, maybe get them thinking in a different way.

>

> You could have passed on chicken pox, not shingles. Be glad your children got it. It's a good thing, and if it was from you, then they got real CP, not a vaccine strain.

>

>

Guest guest

you only get shingles if you have had chicken pox

it used to be when you had stress or immune system problems, you got

shingles..........now everything's changed.

Encourage her to see an acupuncturist to get rid of it once a for all

with a cure.

Sheri

At 08:47 PM 6/2/2012, you wrote:

Now that I think about it she

would be about 60yrs old but she had a a few years back. It is a

horrible thing. I heard it wasn't contagious though, is that

true?

Vaccinations

Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2012 03:36:55 +0000

Subject: Re: RE: Shingles vax for 80+

That sounded kind of young to get the vaccine to me so I looked at the

CDC site. They recommend it for age 60 and up, but the FDA approved it

for 50+. Interesting that they wouldn't agree on that.

Anyway, that's terrible that she keeps getting shingles all the time. It

probably really just never goes away. Stupid vaccine.

Winnie

Re: Shingles vax for 80+

> Vaccinations

>

> > I wouldn't consider this " trusted " but the vaccine

package

> > insert from the manufacturer will list the known effects:

> >

>

(

http://www.merck.com/product/usa/pi_circulars/z/zostavax/zostavax_pi2.pdf

)

> > But it's not just the side effects that are important. It's

> > whether the vaccine has the effect of actually working to

> > prevent shingles. On page 3, they even admit it doesn't work

> in

> > all people and they don't know if it works past four years.

> >

> > On pg. 9 there's a table showing the " effectiveness "

rates.

> They

> > tested about 19,000 people with the vaccine and about 19,000

> > with a placebo. 315 cases of shingles occurred in the

> vaccinated

> > group and twice that in the placebo group. They call this a

> 95%

> > effectiveness rate. In reality, those numbers are both so

> small

> > statistically to draw any conclusions from (.02% compared to

> > .03%). Minuscule. And they only monitored the people for

" at

> > least 30 days " --the implication being they did it for

longer

> but

> > if they did, they would have given that number. So, one month.

Guest guest

yes you can give chickenpox from your shingles.

see a quality acupuncturist for a cure, once and for all

Sheri

At 09:19 PM 6/2/2012, you wrote:

>Right - which then if someone gets chicken pox, doesn't that open

>them up to getting shingles later? I'm wondering because I got a

>case of shingles last fall. I didn't know what it was at first -

>but then I realized I had been getting shingles my whole life ( I

>jsut didn't know that was what it was.) I would get small patches

>on my chin or cheek, but I thought it was part of getting cold sores

>( I am very susceptible to cold sores). After I got shingles, I

>recognized it. I had chicken pox as a child. Never got the

>vaccine. Incidentally, all 6 of my children got chicken pox after I

>had my shingles outbreak. So I've wondered about my passing on

>shingles (in a round a bout way).....

>

>

> >

> > Shingles is not contagious, meaning someone can't catch shingles

> from someone who has it. But the virus that causes shingles can

> cause chicken pox in someone who never had CP before.

> >

> > Interestingly, I just found another tidbit about the vaccine. The

> CDC doesn't say it will prevent shingles, just that it can " reduce

> the risk of shingles and its associated pain in people age 60 years

> and older. " Reduce the risk, not prevent the disease.

> >

> >

>

>

>

>------------------------------------

>

>