RemedySpot.com

Adoption and Vaccinations

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

My husband and I are in the process of getting our home study up to date. When we did this before the religious exemption form was simple and easy and we just had to sign it and that was it.  We live in KS and they only offer a Medical and Religious exemption as far as I can tell.  The form now states, " Written statement signed by one parent or guardian that the child is an adherent of a religious denomination whose religious teachings are opposed to such tests or inoculations. "  My views are religious, but there are many other reason that we do not vaccinate.   What suggestions does anybody have in dealing with this.  

I don't really want my view under a microscope, and have never seen anything like this. I even read on several websites that it isn't constitutional and could be fought.  I know I'm probably over reacting and this shouldn't be an issue, but it's bothering me.  My husband and I feel called to adopt again and understand that the children who enter our home will be fully vaccinated (they are older coming from the foster care system), the children we adopted before are vaccinated up to the point that they were adopted, but that leaves our 3 youngest completely unvaxed, and the next 2 youngest only partially vaccinated.  Should we fill this out for all of them, just the 5 that are in question, do I provide vaccination records for the oldest 3 and the 2 who are partially vaccinated?  What exactly do you put in such letter to prove your religious views?

Thanks for any insight you can offer me, 

Guest guest

I'm not clear on what the exemption is for. Laws mandating vaccination are only for school/daycare attendance. Would the children be going to school/daycare? If not, who would get the form, the people doing the home study?

I would just write a statement quoting the law, something like: My child____is an adherent of a religious denomination whose religious teachings are opposed to such tests or inoculations." Period. You don't put in anything to explain your views. The law does not require it.

It's beside the point that you have other reasons (not dismissing you on that--I'm the same!). And it's not a matter of being unconstitutional. It's just the law and you write up the exemption letter accordingly.

Winnie Adoption and Vaccinationsvaccinations > My husband and I are in the process of getting our home study up > to date.> When we did this before the religious exemption form was simple > and easy> and we just had to sign it and that was it.> > We live in KS and they only offer a Medical and Religious > exemption as far> as I can tell. The form now states, "Written statement signed > by one> parent or guardian that the child is an adherent of a religious> denomination whose religious teachings are opposed to such tests or> inoculations." My views are religious, but there are many other > reasonthat we do not vaccinate. What suggestions does anybody > have in dealing> with this.> > I don't really want my view under a microscope, and have never seen> anything like this. I even read on several websites that it> isn't constitutional and could be fought. I know I'm probably over> reacting and this shouldn't be an issue, but it's bothering me. > My husband> and I feel called to adopt again and understand that the > children who enter> our home will be fully vaccinated (they are older coming from > the foster> care system), the children we adopted before are vaccinated up > to the point> that they were adopted, but that leaves our 3 youngest > completely unvaxed,> and the next 2 youngest only partially vaccinated. Should we > fill this out> for all of them, just the 5 that are in question, do I provide > vaccinationrecords for the oldest 3 and the 2 who are partially > vaccinated? What> exactly do you put in such letter to prove your religious views?> > Thanks for any insight you can offer me,> >

Guest guest

We have to have physicals and fill out a form with all of our children's vaccination records.  There is no place on the form for a religious exemption which is why I am assuming we will need to sign the KCI (Kansas Certificate of Immunization), for our children, which is what we did in the past, it was just a signature.  If that is all I need to do, we can easily do that with our children. 

On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 3:02 PM, <wharrison@...> wrote:

I'm not clear on what the exemption is for. Laws mandating vaccination are only for school/daycare attendance. Would the children be going to school/daycare? If not, who would get the form, the people doing the home study?

I would just write a statement quoting the law, something like: My child____is an adherent of a religious denomination whose religious teachings are opposed  to such tests or inoculations. " Period. You don't put in anything to explain your views. The law does not require it.

It's beside the point that you have other reasons (not dismissing you on that--I'm the same!). And it's not a matter of being unconstitutional. It's just the law and you write up the exemption letter accordingly.

Winnie Adoption and Vaccinationsvaccinations

> My husband and I are in the process of getting our home study up > to date.> When we did this before the religious exemption form was simple > and easy> and we just had to sign it and that was it.

> > We live in KS and they only offer a Medical and Religious > exemption as far> as I can tell. The form now states, " Written statement signed > by one> parent or guardian that the child is an adherent of a religious

> denomination whose religious teachings are opposed to such tests or> inoculations. " My views are religious, but there are many other > reasonthat we do not vaccinate. What suggestions does anybody

> have in dealing> with this.> > I don't really want my view under a microscope, and have never seen> anything like this. I even read on several websites that it> isn't constitutional and could be fought. I know I'm probably over

> reacting and this shouldn't be an issue, but it's bothering me. > My husband> and I feel called to adopt again and understand that the > children who enter> our home will be fully vaccinated (they are older coming from

> the foster> care system), the children we adopted before are vaccinated up > to the point> that they were adopted, but that leaves our 3 youngest > completely unvaxed,> and the next 2 youngest only partially vaccinated. Should we

> fill this out> for all of them, just the 5 that are in question, do I provide > vaccinationrecords for the oldest 3 and the 2 who are partially > vaccinated? What> exactly do you put in such letter to prove your religious views?

> > Thanks for any insight you can offer me,> >

Guest guest

Also we homeschool so that is not an issue, but KS at least asks for vaccination records for foster and adopted families.  It was not an issue at all the first time, so I'm not sure why I feel it will be an issue, other than the wording caught me a little off guard.  

On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 3:43 PM, Schumm <purplepowercat@...> wrote:

We have to have physicals and fill out a form with all of our children's vaccination records.  There is no place on the form for a religious exemption which is why I am assuming we will need to sign the KCI (Kansas Certificate of Immunization), for our children, which is what we did in the past, it was just a signature.  If that is all I need to do, we can easily do that with our children. 

On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 3:02 PM, <wharrison@...> wrote:

I'm not clear on what the exemption is for. Laws mandating vaccination are only for school/daycare attendance. Would the children be going to school/daycare? If not, who would get the form, the people doing the home study?

I would just write a statement quoting the law, something like: My child____is an adherent of a religious denomination whose religious teachings are opposed  to such tests or inoculations. " Period. You don't put in anything to explain your views. The law does not require it.

Winnie Adoption and Vaccinationsvaccinations

> My husband and I are in the process of getting our home study up > to date.> When we did this before the religious exemption form was simple > and easy> and we just had to sign it and that was it.

> > We live in KS and they only offer a Medical and Religious > exemption as far> as I can tell. The form now states, " Written statement signed > by one> parent or guardian that the child is an adherent of a religious

> denomination whose religious teachings are opposed to such tests or> inoculations. " My views are religious, but there are many other > reasonthat we do not vaccinate. What suggestions does anybody

> have in dealing> with this.> > I don't really want my view under a microscope, and have never seen> anything like this. I even read on several websites that it> isn't constitutional and could be fought. I know I'm probably over

> reacting and this shouldn't be an issue, but it's bothering me. > My husband> and I feel called to adopt again and understand that the > children who enter> our home will be fully vaccinated (they are older coming from

> the foster> care system), the children we adopted before are vaccinated up > to the point> that they were adopted, but that leaves our 3 youngest > completely unvaxed,> and the next 2 youngest only partially vaccinated. Should we

> fill this out> for all of them, just the 5 that are in question, do I provide > vaccinationrecords for the oldest 3 and the 2 who are partially > vaccinated? What> exactly do you put in such letter to prove your religious views?

> > Thanks for any insight you can offer me,> >

Guest guest

I adopted and I knew there woudl be issues, although at that time I only thougth I was going to do a delayed schedule. I'm in Illinois and religious are the only exemptions allowed here. My adoption counselor told us that the court has to review the documents if you are planning not to vaccinate. I found a great letter/verbage on the internet for my letter that I used.

"I believe in inspiration and personal revelation for all major life decisions, including medical. A decision for one person will not have the identical outcome for the next. Since at this point, no one knows all the reasons why people have bad reactions to vaccines, there is no way to know if my family members will be damaged by the program. I must depend on my personal prayer and meditation to come to a decision for my family. The decision may be different for each family member, or might change over time if their health status changes. It all depends on what I feel in my heart after sincere communication with God. "

I feel like this answers the questions your concerned about regarding your other children. The website I found it on is here: http://tamihealth.tripod.com/vaccineexemptions.htm Hopefully this is helpful.