RemedySpot.com

Re: antibiotics ore

Rate this topic

Guest guest

1.no antibiotic ( may be the question was before the new guidelines)2.same no AB coverage needed3.Clindamycin4. Amoxicillin 250mg5metronidazole(H)6Amox (B)Pls correct me if wrongThxSent from my iPadOn 15 Feb 2012, at 10:49, Areej Abbas <areej.aldura@...> wrote:

Options list:

A. Amoxicillin 250mg qds. for 5 days

B. Amoxicillin 500mg bd. for 7 days

C. Amoxicillin 1g intravenously

D. Amoxicillin 3g single oral dose

E. Azithromycin 500mg single oral dose

F. Clindamycin 600mg single oral dose

G. Erythromycin 250mg qds for 5 days

H. Metronidazole 200mg tds for 7 days

I. Metronidazole 200mg qds for 7 days

J. Penicillin V 125mg qds. for 5 days

K. Penicillin V 250mg qds. for 5 days

L. Tetracydine 250mg qds. for 5 days

clinical scenario:

1. A 50-year-old man with a prosthetic heart valve requiring a tooth extraction. There is no other relevant medical history.

2. The same patient who requires a further dental procedure three weeks after the extraction.

3. A 55-year-old man who is allergic to penicillin and who is unable to swallow capsules.

4. A 5-year-old child attends in the dental emergency clinic at the weekend, with swelling of the right side of the face resulting from an abscessed tooth. There is no significant medical history.

5. A 23-year-old woman presents complaining of ‘sore’, red, bleeding gums and halitosis.

6. A pyrexic 30-year-old man presents with an exacerbation of an apical infection two days after initiation of root canal therapy.

I might know the answers yet noy convinced needed a second opinion

What about azithromycin for Q 3? What about amoxicillin 1 g IV for Q 6 ?Let me hear your thoughtsBalsamSent from my iPhoneOn Feb 15, 2012, at 12:17 PM, "Mokaamr@..." <mokaamr@...> wrote:

1.no antibiotic ( may be the question was before the new guidelines)2.same no AB coverage needed3.Clindamycin4. Amoxicillin 250mg5metronidazole(H)6Amox (B)Pls correct me if wrongThxSent from my iPadOn 15 Feb 2012, at 10:49, Areej Abbas <areej.aldura@...> wrote:

Options list:

A. Amoxicillin 250mg qds. for 5 days

clinical scenario:

1. A 50-year-old man with a prosthetic heart valve requiring a tooth extraction. There is no other relevant medical history.

2. The same patient who requires a further dental procedure three weeks after the extraction.

3. A 55-year-old man who is allergic to penicillin and who is unable to swallow capsules.

4. A 5-year-old child attends in the dental emergency clinic at the weekend, with swelling of the right side of the face resulting from an abscessed tooth. There is no significant medical history.

5. A 23-year-old woman presents complaining of ‘sore’, red, bleeding gums and halitosis.

6. A pyrexic 30-year-old man presents with an exacerbation of an apical infection two days after initiation of root canal therapy.

3 E4 amoxicillin 250mg tds for 5 days5 H6K From: Balsam Majid <balsam_majid@...> " " < > Sent: Wednesday, 15 February 2012 2:51 PM Subject: Re: antibiotics ore

What about azithromycin for Q 3? What about amoxicillin 1 g IV for Q 6 ?Let me hear your thoughtsBalsamSent from my iPhoneOn Feb 15, 2012, at 12:17 PM, "Mokaamr@..." <mokaamr@...> wrote:

Options list: A. Amoxicillin 250mg qds. for 5 days

clinical scenario:

Hi KanikaCan you plz explain WhyPenicillin v 250 mg (option k ), is for the pyrexic patient question 6 and not for the child question 4 ?In other words, what's the difference between penicillin v and amoxicillin for treatment plan? ThanksBalsamSent from my iPadOn 15 Feb 2012, at 15:05, Kanika Kohli <kanika_sahil@...> wrote:

3 E4 amoxicillin 250mg tds for 5 days5 H6K From: Balsam Majid <balsam_majid@...> " " < > Sent: Wednesday, 15 February 2012 2:51 PM Subject: Re: antibiotics ore

clinical scenario:

well, what i know is amoxicillin is better absorbed than pencillin so for children it is better to prescribe amoxycillin and for abcess in children it is the first choice or phenoxymethyl pencillin and if patient is allergic to pn then metronidazole.(This is what i have studied in Drug prescribing document)In root canal therapy ,we normally dont prescribe antibiotics because chances of antibiotic resistance is more and pencillin v being a narrow specturum ab which includes most of the bacteria associated with endo infections,So,it is the choice of drug for its efficacy and low

toxicity. From: Balsam_Majid <balsam_majid@...> " " < > Sent: Wednesday, 15 February 2012 4:46 PM Subject: Re: antibiotics ore

Hi KanikaCan you plz explain WhyPenicillin v 250 mg (option k ), is for the pyrexic patient question 6 and not for the child question 4 ?In other words, what's the difference between penicillin v and amoxicillin for treatment plan? ThanksBalsamSent from my iPadOn 15 Feb 2012, at 15:05, Kanika Kohli <kanika_sahil@...> wrote:

clinical scenario:

Oh thanks kanika that's helpfulWould you plz tell me what the name of drug prescribing document you said you studied ? Is it advisory sheet that I can download from Internet ?I would be grateful for your info Sent from my iPadOn 15 Feb 2012, at 17:36, Kanika Kohli <kanika_sahil@...> wrote:

well, what i know is amoxicillin is better absorbed than pencillin so for children it is better to prescribe amoxycillin and for abcess in children it is the first choice or phenoxymethyl pencillin and if patient is allergic to pn then metronidazole.(This is what i have studied in Drug prescribing document)In root canal therapy ,we normally dont prescribe antibiotics because chances of antibiotic resistance is more and pencillin v being a narrow specturum ab which includes most of the bacteria associated with endo infections,So,it is the choice of drug for its efficacy and low

toxicity. From: Balsam_Majid <balsam_majid@...> " " < > Sent: Wednesday, 15 February 2012 4:46 PM Subject: Re: antibiotics ore

clinical scenario:

Hi Basmala For the Antibiotic regimen refer to the drug prescription document here is the link:1. prescribing in dental practice 2012 http://www.bda.org/dentists/advice/practice-mgt/laws/prescribing/rules-regs/private-patients.aspx and 2. this is very imp ish DentalClinical Effectiveness Programme www.sdcep.org.uk/index.aspx?o=3130Best regardsEbtisam From: Balsam_Majid <balsam_majid@...>

" " < > Sent: Wednesday, 15 February 2012, 20:19 Subject: Re: antibiotics ore

Oh thanks kanika that's helpfulWould you plz tell me what the name of drug prescribing document you said you studied ? Is it advisory sheet that I can download from Internet ?I would be grateful for your info Sent from my iPadOn 15 Feb 2012, at 17:36, Kanika Kohli <kanika_sahil@...> wrote:

clinical scenario:

Yes i was talking about the second one.Thanks ebtessam for sharing it.Sent from Samsung Mobile

--- Re: antibiotics ore

clinical scenario:

Many thanks Ebtisam and Kanika..BalsamSent from my iPadOn 15 Feb 2012, at 23:19, "kanika_sahil@..." <kanika_sahil@...> wrote:

Yes i was talking about the second one.Thanks ebtessam for sharing it.Sent from Samsung Mobile

clinical scenario:

for the questions the answers are:1. 2. NO ANTIBIOTICS REQUIRED ( REFERENCE NICE/ SCULLY )3. E4.A5.H6.GI agree with Kanika in all of the choices made except for case number 6to prescribe PV 250 mg its should be used for 5 days ( 2 tablets 4 times a day for 5 days) From: "kanika_sahil@..." <kanika_sahil@...> Sent: Wednesday, 15 February 2012,

23:19 Subject: Re: antibiotics ore

clinical scenario:

Ebstessam, i unfortunately dont agree with u because erthromycin could never be a choice of drug for root canal treatment as these class of drugs are not effective against anerobes which are mostly present in endo infection.I still feel narrow spectrum drugs should be first choice of drug as they produce less alterations as compared to broad spectrum to normal GI tract From: ebtessam elhamalawy <ebtessamhamalawy@...> To:

"areej.aldura@..." <areej.aldura@...>; " " < > Sent: Thursday, 16 February 2012 1:34 AM Subject: Re: antibiotics ore

for the questions the answers are:1. 2. NO ANTIBIOTICS REQUIRED ( REFERENCE NICE/ SCULLY )3. E4.A5.H6.GI agree with Kanika in all of the choices made except for case number 6to prescribe PV 250 mg its should be used for 5 days ( 2 tablets 4 times a day for 5 days) From: "kanika_sahil@..." <kanika_sahil@...> Sent: Wednesday, 15 February 2012,

23:19 Subject: Re: antibiotics ore

clinical scenario:

but the doses should be exactly the same as in the refrence for ex. amoxicillin 250mg / 3 times not 2 or 4 times or this is no important From: Kanika Kohli <kanika_sahil@...> " " < > Sent: Wednesday, February 15, 2012 6:36 PM Subject: Re: antibiotics ore

well, what i know is amoxicillin is better absorbed than pencillin so for children it is better to prescribe amoxycillin and for abcess in children it is the first choice or phenoxymethyl pencillin and if patient is allergic to pn then metronidazole.(This is what i have studied in Drug prescribing document)In root canal therapy ,we normally dont prescribe antibiotics because chances of antibiotic resistance is more and pencillin v being a narrow specturum ab which includes most of the bacteria associated with endo infections,So,it is the choice of drug for its

efficacy and low

clinical scenario:

2. The same patient who requires a further dental procedure three weeks after the

extraction.

hi

kanika ,tahira here.i have just talked to aqsa and she told me that she

gave notes to u when u bought books frm her.she told me to gve her reference and i would be thankful if u can forward it to me after finishing ur exam.thanx in advence.gud luk From: Kanika Kohli <kanika_sahil@...> " " < > Sent: Wednesday, 15 February 2012 3:05 PM Subject: Re: antibiotics ore

clinical scenario: