RemedySpot.com

LA QUESTION

Rate this topic

Guest guest

From the mental foramen, 2 nerves exit 1)incisive and 2)mental. The incisive nerve is the one that lies "deeper" out of the 2. So, if the needle is placed superficially, mental nerve gets blocked and if slightly deeper, the incisive.So, coming back @ your doubt, the answer is "when u give incisive n. Block, both incisive and mental nerves get blocked, But when u give mental n block, only mental nerve is blocked" !!! This is way tooo bookish and taking the practical scenario into account the results vary from technique to technique or may be even the same technique followed by the same person on 2 different occasions. It indeed IS very confusing and is almost making me MENTAL :-) :-) Sent on my BlackBerry® from VodafoneFrom: Sajithakumari Sivaprem <ssajithakumari@...>Sender: Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2012 17:00:43 +0530 (IST) < >Reply Subject: Re: LA question Dear Ashish, thats right, but i think when we give mental block incisive nerves will also get anaesthetised....is there any difft position for incisive block other than at the mental foramen....need to refer....thanks ashish... From: "dr_ashish_pandit@..." <dr_ashish_pandit@...> < > Sent: Wednesday, 8 February 2012 11:20 AM Subject: Re: LA question Dear sajitha, The nerve block which you are talking about that anaesthetises canines and premolars is actually the INCISIVE nerve block which is inappropriately referred to as "mental block". This shud mostly sort ur doubts.Sent on my BlackBerry® from VodafoneFrom: Sajithakumari Sivaprem <ssajithakumari@...>Sender: Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2012 16:31:38 +0530 (IST) < >Reply Subject: Re: LA question Ashish, mental block will definitely provide anaesthesia.premolars and incisors....i preferred infiltration lnoy because of thepossibility of overlapping nerves...if it is canine or premolar...it is the best option... From: "dr_ashish_pandit@..." <dr_ashish_pandit@...> < > Sent: Wednesday, 8 February 2012 10:38 AM Subject: Re: LA question the inferior alveolar nerve during its course from the mandibular foramen upto the midline,gives off a mental branch which supplies the soft tissues but NOT teeth of that area. So mental nerve will not be effective for procedures like RCT on lower lateral incisor. Inferior alveolar is too much an anaesthetised area for such a small tooth. INFILTRATION should solve the problem.-ashish.Sent on my BlackBerry® from VodafoneFrom: Sajithakumari Sivaprem <ssajithakumari@...>Sender: Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2012 15:43:06 +0530 (IST) < >Reply Subject: Re: LA question Hi, there is possibility of overlapping of incisive nerves from the opposite side in the case of incisors ,so i think infiltration will give predictable results...it is found to be effective in the mand.anterior region[my clinical experience} not sure abt the answer though.... sajitha From: Divi Divi <divi_ore@...> " " < > Sent: Wednesday, 8 February 2012 5:08 AM Subject: LA question what is the most predictable anesthetic technique for lower lateral incisor? and why?a) mental nerve blockb)inferior dental blockc)intraligamentoryd)infiltrationI prefer mental nerve block over ID block as no point in anesthetising whole half arch and avoiding complications of ID block.. but i am not sure which one will give more predictable results. and intraligamentory and infiltration wont work well in mandible as it is more compact/dense bone..any idea guys? what do you all think?Divi

kanika,i didnt get ur last sentence... From: Kanika Kohli <kanika_sahil@...> " " < > Sent: Wednesday, 8 February 2012 11:35 AM Subject: Re: LA question

sorry to create more confusions but incisive nerve is actually a terminal branch of inferior alveolar nerve.This nerve is actually a continuation of inferior alveolar nerve at mental foramen and provides sensory innervation to teeth located anterior to mental foramen.This nerve gets anesthesitized when inf alveolar nerve block is successful.This block is indicated only we dont want to give bilateral inferior alveolar nerve block.for instance if canine to canine(basically for teeth anterior to to mental foramen) From:

"dr_ashish_pandit@..." <dr_ashish_pandit@...> < > Sent: Wednesday, 8 February 2012 11:20 AM Subject: Re: LA question

Dear sajitha, The nerve block which you are talking about that anaesthetises canines and premolars is actually the INCISIVE nerve block which is inappropriately referred to as "mental block". This shud mostly sort ur doubts.Sent on my BlackBerry® from VodafoneFrom: Sajithakumari Sivaprem <ssajithakumari@...>

Sender:

Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2012 16:31:38 +0530 (IST) < >Reply

Subject: Re: LA question

Ashish, mental block will definitely provide anaesthesia.premolars and incisors....i preferred infiltration lnoy because of thepossibility of overlapping nerves...if it is canine or premolar...it is the best option... From: "dr_ashish_pandit@..." <dr_ashish_pandit@...> < >

Sent: Wednesday, 8 February 2012 10:38 AM Subject: Re: LA question

the inferior alveolar nerve during its course from the mandibular foramen upto the midline,gives off a mental branch which supplies the soft tissues but NOT teeth of that area. So mental nerve will not be effective for procedures like RCT on lower lateral incisor. Inferior alveolar is too much an anaesthetised area for such a small tooth. INFILTRATION should solve the problem.-ashish.Sent on my BlackBerry® from VodafoneFrom: Sajithakumari Sivaprem <ssajithakumari@...>

Sender:

Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2012 15:43:06 +0530 (IST) < >Reply

Hi, there is possibility of overlapping of incisive nerves from the opposite side in the case of incisors ,so i think infiltration will give predictable results...it is found to be effective in the mand.anterior region[my clinical experience} not sure abt the answer though.... sajitha From: Divi Divi <divi_ore@...> " " < > Sent: Wednesday, 8 February 2012 5:08 AM Subject: LA question

what is the most predictable anesthetic technique for lower lateral incisor? and why?a) mental nerve blockb)inferior dental blockc)intraligamentoryd)infiltrationI prefer mental nerve block over ID block as no point in anesthetising whole half arch and avoiding complications of ID block.. but i am not sure which one will give more predictable results. and intraligamentory and infiltration wont work well in mandible as it is more compact/dense bone..any idea guys? what do you all think?Divi

Cheers !!Sent on my BlackBerry® from VodafoneFrom: Sajithakumari Sivaprem <ssajithakumari@...>Sender: Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2012 17:11:08 +0530 (IST) < >Reply Subject: Re: LA question yeah got it....while injecting in the mental foramen u have to direct the solution in to the foramen fo r incisive...only a small difference...that caused the confusion cos when i gave mental block,the teeth ..were also anaesthetised only now i realised it...any ways thanks ashish ..otherwise i woulnt have realised it... From: Sajithakumari Sivaprem <ssajithakumari@...> " "< > Sent: Wednesday, 8 February 2012 11:30 AM Subject: Re: LA question Dear Ashish, thats right, but i think when we give mental block incisive nerves will also get anaesthetised....is there any difft position for incisive block other than at the mental foramen....need to refer....thanks ashish... From: "dr_ashish_pandit@..." <dr_ashish_pandit@...> < > Sent: Wednesday, 8 February 2012 11:20 AM Subject: Re: LA question Dear sajitha, The nerve block which you are talking about that anaesthetises canines and premolars is actually the INCISIVE nerve block which is inappropriately referred to as "mental block". This shud mostly sort ur doubts.Sent on my BlackBerry® from VodafoneFrom: Sajithakumari Sivaprem <ssajithakumari@...>Sender: Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2012 16:31:38 +0530 (IST) < >Reply Subject: Re: LA question Ashish, mental block will definitely provide anaesthesia.premolars and incisors....i preferred infiltration lnoy because of thepossibility of overlapping nerves...if it is canine or premolar...it is the best option... From: "dr_ashish_pandit@..." <dr_ashish_pandit@...> < > Sent: Wednesday, 8 February 2012 10:38 AM Subject: Re: LA question the inferior alveolar nerve during its course from the mandibular foramen upto the midline,gives off a mental branch which supplies the soft tissues but NOT teeth of that area. So mental nerve will not be effective for procedures like RCT on lower lateral incisor. Inferior alveolar is too much an anaesthetised area for such a small tooth. INFILTRATION should solve the problem.-ashish.Sent on my BlackBerry® from VodafoneFrom: Sajithakumari Sivaprem <ssajithakumari@...>Sender: Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2012 15:43:06 +0530 (IST) < >Reply Subject: Re: LA question Hi, there is possibility of overlapping of incisive nerves from the opposite side in the case of incisors ,so i think infiltration will give predictable results...it is found to be effective in the mand.anterior region[my clinical experience} not sure abt the answer though.... sajitha From: Divi Divi <divi_ore@...> " " < > Sent: Wednesday, 8 February 2012 5:08 AM Subject: LA question what is the most predictable anesthetic technique for lower lateral incisor? and why?a) mental nerve blockb)inferior dental blockc)intraligamentoryd)infiltrationI prefer mental nerve block over ID block as no point in anesthetising whole half arch and avoiding complications of ID block.. but i am not sure which one will give more predictable results. and intraligamentory and infiltration wont work well in mandible as it is more compact/dense bone..any idea guys? what do you all think?Divi

but i think u have to be very careful so as to anaesthetise only mental..anyways we got the answer to the ques...so dont get MENTAL...BE DENTAL...... CHEERS... From: "dr_ashish_pandit@..." <dr_ashish_pandit@...> < > Sent: Wednesday, 8 February 2012 11:42 AM Subject: Re: LA question

From the mental foramen, 2 nerves exit 1)incisive and 2)mental. The incisive nerve is the one that lies "deeper" out of the 2. So, if the needle is placed superficially, mental nerve gets blocked and if slightly deeper, the incisive.So, coming back @ your doubt, the answer is "when u give incisive n. Block, both incisive and mental nerves get blocked, But when u give mental n block, only mental nerve is blocked" !!! This is way tooo bookish and taking the practical scenario into account the results vary from technique to technique or may be even the same technique followed by the same person on 2 different occasions. It indeed IS very confusing and is almost making me MENTAL :-) :-) Sent on my BlackBerry® from VodafoneFrom: Sajithakumari Sivaprem <ssajithakumari@...>

Sender:

Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2012 17:00:43 +0530 (IST) < >Reply

Dear Ashish, thats right, but i think when we give mental block incisive nerves will also get anaesthetised....is there any difft position for incisive block other than at the mental foramen....need to refer....thanks ashish... From: "dr_ashish_pandit@..." <dr_ashish_pandit@...> < > Sent: Wednesday, 8 February 2012 11:20 AM Subject: Re: LA question

Dear sajitha, The nerve block which you are talking about that anaesthetises canines and premolars is actually the INCISIVE nerve block which is inappropriately referred to as "mental block". This shud mostly sort ur doubts.Sent on my BlackBerry® from VodafoneFrom: Sajithakumari Sivaprem <ssajithakumari@...>

Sender:

Ashish, mental block will definitely provide anaesthesia.premolars and incisors....i preferred infiltration lnoy because of thepossibility of overlapping nerves...if it is canine or premolar...it is the best option... From: "dr_ashish_pandit@..." <dr_ashish_pandit@...> < >

the inferior alveolar nerve during its course from the mandibular foramen upto the midline,gives off a mental branch which supplies the soft tissues but NOT teeth of that area. So mental nerve will not be effective for procedures like RCT on lower lateral incisor. Inferior alveolar is too much an anaesthetised area for such a small tooth. INFILTRATION should solve the problem.-ashish.Sent on my BlackBerry® from VodafoneFrom: Sajithakumari Sivaprem <ssajithakumari@...>

Sender:

Hi, there is possibility of overlapping of incisive nerves from the opposite side in the case of incisors ,so i think infiltration will give predictable results...it is found to be effective in the mand.anterior region[my clinical experience} not sure abt the answer though.... sajitha From: Divi Divi <divi_ore@...> " " < > Sent: Wednesday, 8 February 2012 5:08 AM Subject: LA question

what is the most predictable anesthetic technique for lower lateral incisor? and why?a) mental nerve blockb)inferior dental blockc)intraligamentoryd)infiltrationI prefer mental nerve block over ID block as no point in anesthetising whole half arch and avoiding complications of ID block.. but i am not sure which one will give more predictable results. and intraligamentory and infiltration wont work well in mandible as it is more compact/dense bone..any idea guys? what do you all think?Divi

Dear kanika dont get confused....u can giv either infil or incisive block...here no optin of incisive so infiltration is the answer hope ur doubts are cleared... From: Kanika Kohli <kanika_sahil@...> " " < > Sent: Wednesday, 8 February 2012 11:41 AM Subject: Re: LA question

I understand it doesnt anesthesize buccal mucosa but what i am trying to say is inferior alveolar nerve as incicive nerve innervates mandibular canines and incisors.So, we have to give this block.I think i am just trying to prove my point only but somewhere i know we give infiltration only.Anyways sorry if am troubling u guys but i actually dont know what should be the answer. From: "dr_ashish_pandit@..." <dr_ashish_pandit@...>

< > Sent: Wednesday, 8 February 2012 11:26 AM Subject: Re: LA question

Your answer is in the last line of your last mail. !!!! IAN anaesthetises 1)IAN (obviously !!) 2) lingual 3) mental and 4)incisive. What IAN DOES NOT anaesthetise is the buccal mucosa posterior to 2nd pre molar (all the MOLARS) and that's the reason while extracting any molar, we give an additional block specifically for the buccal mucosa and that is LONG BUCCAL NERVE block. Is it fine now ??? Sent on my BlackBerry® from VodafoneFrom: Kanika Kohli <kanika_sahil@...>

Sender:

Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2012 16:45:25 +0530 (IST) < >Reply

i agree with u that is why i thought for buccal mucous membrane anterior to mental foramen usually from second premolar to midline we give mental nerve block and inferior alveolar because it anesthetize inf alveolar nerve,incisive,mental and lingual as well.But i am still confused.... From: "dr_ashish_pandit@..." <dr_ashish_pandit@...> < > Sent: Wednesday, 8 February 2012 11:05 AM Subject: Re: LA question

Unfortunately, there is a small difference of opinion.Firstly, we DON'T give 2 separate blocks- IANB and MENTAL. This is because, when u give IANB, the MENTAL nerve DOES get blocked as it is a branch of the IAN. Secondly, when only MENTAL nerve block is given,it anesthetises ONLY soft tissues of the chin and lower lip upto the mental foramen. This block is used for exclusive lower anterior soft tissue procedure like suturing or biopsies.-ashish. Sent on my BlackBerry® from VodafoneFrom: Kanika Kohli <kanika_sahil@...>

Sender:

Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2012 16:15:19 +0530 (IST) < >Reply

Inferior alveolar nerve block does not anesthetize buccal soft tissue anterior to first molar and mental nerve block is indicated for soft tissue anesthesia.So,, ideally we have to give both blocks for extraction of anterior lower teeth.Though practically we prefer infiltration.completely agree with sajitha.correct me if am wrong. From: Sajithakumari Sivaprem <ssajithakumari@...> " " < > Sent: Wednesday, 8 February 2012 10:13 AM Subject: Re: LA question

at the end , answer is a) ????? From: Sajithakumari Sivaprem <ssajithakumari@...> " " < > Sent: Wednesday, February 8, 2012 11:50 AM Subject: Re: LA question

but i think u have to be very careful so as to anaesthetise only mental..anyways we got the answer to the ques...so dont get MENTAL...BE DENTAL...... CHEERS... From: "dr_ashish_pandit@..." <dr_ashish_pandit@...> < > Sent: Wednesday, 8 February 2012 11:42 AM Subject: Re: LA question

From the mental foramen, 2 nerves exit 1)incisive and 2)mental. The incisive nerve is the one that lies "deeper" out of the 2. So, if the needle is placed superficially, mental nerve gets blocked and if slightly deeper, the incisive.So, coming back @ your doubt, the answer is "when u give incisive n. Block, both incisive and mental nerves get blocked, But when u give mental n block, only mental nerve is blocked" !!! This is way tooo bookish and taking the practical scenario into account the results vary from technique to technique or may be even the same technique followed by the same person on 2 different occasions. It indeed IS very confusing and is almost making me MENTAL :-) :-) Sent on my BlackBerry® from VodafoneFrom:

Sajithakumari Sivaprem <ssajithakumari@...>

Sender:

Dear Ashish, thats right, but i think when we give mental block incisive nerves will also get anaesthetised....is there any difft position for incisive block other than at the mental foramen....need to refer....thanks ashish... From:

"dr_ashish_pandit@..." <dr_ashish_pandit@...> < > Sent: Wednesday, 8 February 2012 11:20 AM Subject: Re: LA question

Sender:

Ashish, mental block will definitely provide anaesthesia.premolars and incisors....i preferred infiltration lnoy because of thepossibility of overlapping nerves...if it is canine or premolar...it is the best option... From: "dr_ashish_pandit@..." <dr_ashish_pandit@...>

< >

Sender:

Hi, there is possibility of overlapping of incisive nerves from the opposite side in the case of incisors ,so i think infiltration will give predictable results...it is found to be effective in the mand.anterior region[my clinical experience} not sure abt the answer though.... sajitha

From: Divi Divi <divi_ore@...> " " < > Sent: Wednesday, 8 February 2012 5:08 AM Subject: LA question

what i want to say is instead of giving bilateral inferior alveolar nerve blocks like if we have to extract premolar to premolar,this block is indicated as giving bilateral inferior alveolar dlock can cause discomfort to the patient and with block we can achieve pulpal,buccal soft tissue and bone anesthesia.for lingual we have to give infiltration.one more thing it is nt necessary for the needle to enter mental nerve block as risk of traumatising mental or incisive nerve is more.so deposit anesthesia outside mental foramen and uder pressure directed into foramen.(This is what i have done practically and is also in malamed book of la) From: Sajithakumari Sivaprem <ssajithakumari@...> " " < > Sent: Wednesday, 8 February 2012 11:42 AM Subject: Re: LA question

kanika,i didnt get ur last sentence... From: Kanika Kohli <kanika_sahil@...> " " < > Sent: Wednesday, 8 February 2012 11:35 AM Subject: Re: LA question

sorry to create more confusions but incisive nerve is actually a terminal branch of inferior alveolar nerve.This nerve is actually a continuation of inferior alveolar nerve at mental foramen and provides sensory innervation to teeth located anterior to mental foramen.This nerve gets anesthesitized when inf alveolar nerve block is successful.This block is indicated only we dont want to give bilateral inferior alveolar nerve block.for instance if canine to canine(basically for teeth anterior to to mental foramen) From:

Sender:

Sender:

NO ITS D.....INFILTRATION... From: Chloe Berg <chloe.berg86@...> " " < > Sent: Wednesday, 8 February 2012 11:54 AM Subject: Re: LA question

at the end , answer is a) ????? From: Sajithakumari Sivaprem <ssajithakumari@...> " " < > Sent: Wednesday, February 8, 2012 11:50 AM Subject: Re: LA question

From the mental foramen, 2 nerves exit 1)incisive and 2)mental. The incisive nerve is the one that lies "deeper" out of the 2. So, if the needle is placed superficially, mental nerve gets blocked and if slightly deeper, the incisive.So, coming back @ your doubt, the answer is "when u give incisive n. Block, both incisive and mental nerves get blocked, But when u give mental n block, only mental nerve is blocked" !!! This is way tooo bookish and taking the practical scenario into account the results vary from technique to technique or may be even the same technique followed by the same person on 2 different occasions. It indeed IS very confusing and is almost making me MENTAL :-) :-) Sent on my BlackBerry® from VodafoneFrom:

Sajithakumari Sivaprem <ssajithakumari@...>

Sender:

Dear Ashish, thats right, but i think when we give mental block incisive nerves will also get anaesthetised....is there any difft position for incisive block other than at the mental foramen....need to refer....thanks ashish... From:

Sender:

Ashish, mental block will definitely provide anaesthesia.premolars and incisors....i preferred infiltration lnoy because of thepossibility of overlapping nerves...if it is canine or premolar...it is the best option... From: "dr_ashish_pandit@..." <dr_ashish_pandit@...>

< >

Sender:

Hi, there is possibility of overlapping of incisive nerves from the opposite side in the case of incisors ,so i think infiltration will give predictable results...it is found to be effective in the mand.anterior region[my clinical experience} not sure abt the answer though.... sajitha

From: Divi Divi <divi_ore@...> " " < > Sent: Wednesday, 8 February 2012 5:08 AM Subject: LA question

AGREED.... From: Kanika Kohli <kanika_sahil@...> " " < > Sent: Wednesday, 8 February 2012 11:54 AM Subject: Re: LA question

what i want to say is instead of giving bilateral inferior alveolar nerve blocks like if we have to extract premolar to premolar,this block is indicated as giving bilateral inferior alveolar dlock can cause discomfort to the patient and with block we can achieve pulpal,buccal soft tissue and bone anesthesia.for lingual we have to give infiltration.one more thing it is nt necessary for the needle to enter mental nerve block as risk of traumatising mental or incisive nerve is more.so deposit anesthesia outside mental foramen and uder pressure directed into foramen.(This is what i have done practically and is also in malamed book of la) From: Sajithakumari Sivaprem <ssajithakumari@...> " " < > Sent: Wednesday, 8 February 2012 11:42 AM Subject: Re: LA question

Sender:

Sender:

so after all this discussion,the answer is infiltration.right. From: Sajithakumari Sivaprem <ssajithakumari@...> " " < > Sent: Wednesday, 8 February 2012 12:01 PM Subject: Re: LA question

AGREED.... From: Kanika Kohli <kanika_sahil@...> " " < > Sent: Wednesday, 8 February 2012 11:54 AM Subject: Re: LA question

Sender:

Sender:

HI GUYS THIS IS ONLY FOR MANDIBLE( LOWER ARCH).SORRY FOR MY SPELLING MISTAKES.REGARDSPADMA From: Padma Priya <padmaraj_78@...> " " < > Sent: Wednesday, 8 February 2012, 12:37 Subject: LA QUESTION

HI This is for ypur referrence. An extract from malamed with out LA.

TOOTH

PULPAL

SOFT TISSUE

BUCCAL

LINGUL

Central & lateral incisors

IA

IA

IA

GG

GG

GG

AM

AM

AM

Inc

Inc

PDL

PDL

Men

IS

Inf>90%Success

PDL

IS

Inf

canine

IA

IA

IA

GG

GG

GG

AM

AM

AM

Inc

Inc

PDL

PDL

PDL

IS

Inf>80% Success

IS

Men

Inf

Premolars

IA

IA

IA

GG

GG

GG

AM

AM

AM

Inc(2nd premolar varies with

location of mental firamen)

PDL

PDL

PDL

IS

IS

Ins

Men

Inf

Molars

IA

GG

IA

GG

AM 50% Success

GG

AM

PDL

AM

PDL

IS

PDL

Inf

IS

IA-INFERIOR

ALVEOLAR

GG-GOW

GATES MANDIBULAR NERVE BLOCK

AM-AKINOSIMANDIBULAR BLOCK

Inc-INCISIVE

NERVE BLOCK

Men- MENTAL

NERVE BLOCK

PDL

PERIODONTAL LIGAMENT INJ

IS-INTRA SEPTAL INJ

Inf-INFILTRATION INJRegardsPADMA

Thanks padma i dnt have my book wd me and was thinking of this table.Thanks for providing this info. From: Padma Priya <padmaraj_78@...> " " < > Sent: Wednesday, 8 February 2012 12:41 PM Subject: Re: LA QUESTION

HI GUYS THIS IS ONLY FOR MANDIBLE( LOWER ARCH).SORRY FOR MY SPELLING MISTAKES.REGARDSPADMA From: Padma Priya <padmaraj_78@...> " " < > Sent: Wednesday, 8 February 2012, 12:37 Subject: LA QUESTION

TOOTH

PULPAL

SOFT TISSUE

BUCCAL

LINGUL

IA

IA

IA

GG

GG

GG

AM

AM

AM

Inc

Inc

PDL

PDL

Men

IS

Inf>90%Success

PDL

IS

Inf

canine

IA

IA

IA

GG

GG

GG

AM

AM

AM

Inc

Inc

PDL

PDL

PDL

IS

Inf>80% Success

IS

Men

Inf

Premolars

IA

IA

IA

GG

GG

GG

AM

AM

AM

PDL

PDL

PDL

IS

IS

Ins

Men

Inf

Molars

IA

GG

IA

GG

AM 50% Success

GG

AM

PDL

AM

PDL

IS

PDL

Inf

IS

IA-INFERIOR

ALVEOLAR

GG-GOW

Inc-INCISIVE

NERVE BLOCK

Men- MENTAL

NERVE BLOCK

PDL

PERIODONTAL LIGAMENT INJ

IS-INTRA SEPTAL INJ

thankyou ashish, padma, kanika , sajitha for the nice discussion, it has cleared many of my doubts. Till now I have never prefered infiltration for mandible thinking its a dense bone so LA wont act well (compared to maxilla) as ID nerve is in ID canal and bone is dense so its not going to reach there through infiltration. (which is quite true) and results are quite unpredictable... i personaly never prefered infiltration to mandibular teeth (esp posteriors) for RCT or Extraction and this is what we were told ! I quite agree with this. Though I have given Mental/Incisive for extraction of mandbular incisiors (which has worked well) BUT now from this nerve comes our from mental formen (mental and

mandibular incisive ) to suply mandibular anteriors and soft tissue) so now if we infiltrate there is no such barrier (like dense bone to which LA wont penetrate) so it might work well.. but I am still not sure how predictable the results are !!as if technique is right i know my ID block will give me predictable results.but regarding Infiltration I am a bit not sure and yeah results are more good if we use Articane for infiltration From: Kanika Kohli <kanika_sahil@...> " "

< > Sent: Wednesday, 8 February 2012 1:10 PM Subject: Re: LA QUESTION

Thanks padma i dnt have my book wd me and was thinking of this table.Thanks for providing this info. From: Padma Priya <padmaraj_78@...> " " < > Sent: Wednesday, 8 February 2012 12:41 PM Subject: Re: LA QUESTION

TOOTH

PULPAL

SOFT TISSUE

BUCCAL

LINGUL

IA

IA

IA

GG

GG

GG

AM

AM

AM

Inc

Inc

PDL

PDL

Men

IS

Inf>90%Success

PDL

IS

Inf

canine

IA

IA

IA

GG

GG

GG

AM

AM

AM

Inc

Inc

PDL

PDL

PDL

IS

Inf>80% Success

IS

Men

Inf

Premolars

IA

IA

IA

GG

GG

GG

AM

AM

AM

PDL

PDL

PDL

IS

IS

Ins

Men

Inf

Molars

IA

GG

IA

GG

AM 50% Success

GG

AM

PDL

AM

PDL

IS

PDL

Inf

IS

IA-INFERIOR

ALVEOLAR

GG-GOW

Inc-INCISIVE

NERVE BLOCK

Men- MENTAL

NERVE BLOCK

PDL

PERIODONTAL LIGAMENT INJ

IS-INTRA SEPTAL INJ

Mental Nerve Block

The mental nerve innervates the soft tissues anterior to the foramen, which is usually located at the apecies of the premolars. It does not anesthetize the teeth. This technique is useful for curettage or biopsy.

Incisive Nerve Block: INB

The incisive nerve innervates the lower teeth anterior to the mental foramen to the midline. The anesthetic solution should be deposited in the same area as the mental block, but the incisive nerve runs inside the foramen, so the needle is directed into the foramen. The anesthetic must diffuse into the foramen to affect the incisive nerve. Pressure applied to the injection site after needle withdrawal may help to guide the solution into the foramen.

Inferior Alveolar Nerve Block =inferior dental block

The inferior alveolar nerve block is the most commonly used injection in mandibular anesthesia. It provides anesthesia to the mandibular teeth to the midline on the side injected as well as the body of the mandible, the buccal mucosa and bone of the teeth anterior to the mandibular first molar, the anterior two thirds of the tongue and floor of the mouth, and the mucosa and bone lingual to the mandibular teeth on the side of injection.

based on that if the procedure surgical two inj will be needed IDB & INB.

However if the treatment is less than that ex RCT only one inj should do it INB that of course as far as lower ant are concerned

From: Divi Divi <divi_ore@...>" " < > Sent: Wednesday, 8 February 2012, 13:52Subject: Re: LA QUESTION

thankyou ashish, padma, kanika , sajitha for the nice discussion, it has cleared many of my doubts.

Till now I have never prefered infiltration for mandible thinking its a dense bone so LA wont act well (compared to maxilla) as ID nerve is in ID canal and bone is dense so its not going to reach there through infiltration. (which is quite true) and results are quite unpredictable... i personaly never prefered infiltration to mandibular teeth (esp posteriors) for RCT or Extraction and this is what we were told ! I quite agree with this. Though I have given Mental/Incisive for extraction of mandbular incisiors (which has worked well)

BUT now from this nerve comes our from mental formen (mental and mandibular incisive ) to suply mandibular anteriors and soft tissue) so now if we infiltrate there is no such barrier (like dense bone to which LA wont penetrate) so it might work well.. but I am still not sure how predictable the results are !!

as if technique is right i know my ID block will give me predictable results.

but regarding Infiltration I am a bit not sure and yeah results are more good if we use Articane for infiltration

From: Kanika Kohli <kanika_sahil@...>" " < > Sent: Wednesday, 8 February 2012 1:10 PMSubject: Re: LA QUESTION

Thanks padma i dnt have my book wd me and was thinking of this table.

Thanks for providing this info.

From: Padma Priya <padmaraj_78@...>" " < > Sent: Wednesday, 8 February 2012 12:41 PMSubject: Re: LA QUESTION

HI GUYS THIS IS ONLY FOR MANDIBLE( LOWER ARCH).SORRY FOR MY SPELLING MISTAKES.

REGARDS

PADMA

From: Padma Priya <padmaraj_78@...>" " < > Sent: Wednesday, 8 February 2012, 12:37Subject: LA QUESTION

HI

This is for ypur referrence. An extract from malamed with out LA.

TOOTH

PULPAL

SOFT TISSUE

BUCCAL

LINGUL

IA

IA

IA

GG

GG

GG

AM

AM

AM

Inc

Inc

PDL

PDL

Men

IS

Inf>90%Success

PDL

IS

Inf

canine

IA

IA

IA

GG

GG

GG

AM

AM

AM

Inc

Inc

PDL

PDL

PDL

IS

Inf>80% Success

IS

Men

Inf

Premolars

IA

IA

IA

GG

GG

GG

AM

AM

AM

Inc(2nd premolar varies with location of mental firamen)

PDL

PDL

PDL

IS

IS

Ins

Men

Inf

Molars

IA

GG

IA

GG

AM 50% Success

GG

AM

PDL

AM

PDL

IS

PDL

Inf

IS

IA-INFERIOR ALVEOLAR

GG-GOW GATES MANDIBULAR NERVE BLOCK

Inc-INCISIVE NERVE BLOCK

Men- MENTAL NERVE BLOCK

PDL PERIODONTAL LIGAMENT INJ

IS-INTRA SEPTAL INJ

Inf-INFILTRATION INJ

Regards

PADMA

----- Forwarded Message -----From: Areej Abbas <areej.aldura@...>" " < > Sent: Wednesday, 8 February 2012, 14:57Subject: Re: LA QUESTIO

Mental Nerve Block

The mental nerve innervates the soft tissues anterior to the foramen, which is usually located at the apecies of the premolars. It does not anesthetize the teeth. This technique is useful for curettage or biopsy.

The incisive nerve innervates the lower teeth anterior to the mental foramen to the midline. The anesthetic solution should be deposited in the same area as the mental block, but the incisive nerve runs inside the foramen, so the needle is directed into the foramen. The anesthetic must diffuse into the foramen to affect the incisive nerve. Pressure applied to the injection site after needle withdrawal may help to guide the solution into the foramen.

The inferior alveolar nerve block is the most commonly used injection in mandibular anesthesia. It provides anesthesia to the mandibular teeth to the midline on the side injected as well as the body of the mandible, the buccal mucosa and bone of the teeth anterior to the mandibular first molar, the anterior two thirds of the tongue and floor of the mouth, and the mucosa and bone lingual to the mandibular teeth on the side of injection.

However if the treatment is less than that ex RCT only one inj should do it INB that of course as far as lower ant are concerned

From: Divi Divi <divi_ore@...>" " < > Sent: Wednesday, 8 February 2012, 13:52Subject: Re: LA QUESTION

thankyou ashish, padma, kanika , sajitha for the nice discussion, it has cleared many of my doubts.

Till now I have never prefered infiltration for mandible thinking its a dense bone so LA wont act well (compared to maxilla) as ID nerve is in ID canal and bone is dense so its not going to reach there through infiltration. (which is quite true) and results are quite unpredictable... i personaly never prefered infiltration to mandibular teeth (esp posteriors) for RCT or Extraction and this is what we were told ! I quite agree with this. Though I have given Mental/Incisive for extraction of mandbular incisiors (which has worked well)

BUT now from this nerve comes our from mental formen (mental and mandibular incisive ) to suply mandibular anteriors and soft tissue) so now if we infiltrate there is no such barrier (like dense bone to which LA wont penetrate) so it might work well.. but I am still not sure how predictable the results are !!

but regarding Infiltration I am a bit not sure and yeah results are more good if we use Articane for infiltration

From: Kanika Kohli <kanika_sahil@...>" " < > Sent: Wednesday, 8 February 2012 1:10 PMSubject: Re: LA QUESTION

From: Padma Priya <padmaraj_78@...>" " < > Sent: Wednesday, 8 February 2012 12:41 PMSubject: Re: LA QUESTION

REGARDS

PADMA

From: Padma Priya <padmaraj_78@...>" " < > Sent: Wednesday, 8 February 2012, 12:37Subject: LA QUESTION

HI

TOOTH

PULPAL

SOFT TISSUE

BUCCAL

LINGUL

IA

IA

IA

GG

GG

GG

AM

AM

AM

Inc

Inc

PDL

PDL

Men

IS

Inf>90%Success

PDL

IS

Inf

canine

IA

IA

IA

GG

GG

GG

AM

AM

AM

Inc

Inc

PDL

PDL

PDL

IS

Inf>80% Success

IS

Men

Inf

Premolars

IA

IA

IA

GG

GG

GG

AM

AM

AM

PDL

PDL

PDL

IS

IS

Ins

Men

Inf

Molars

IA

GG

IA

GG

AM 50% Success

GG

AM

PDL

AM

PDL

IS

PDL

Inf

IS

IA-INFERIOR ALVEOLAR

Inc-INCISIVE NERVE BLOCK

Men- MENTAL NERVE BLOCK

IS-INTRA SEPTAL INJ

Inf-INFILTRATION INJ

Regards

PADMA

thanx Areej, YES I agree, I think the same... but what is your opnion for infiltration for lower lat incisior? From: Areej Abbas <areej.aldura@...> " " < > Sent: Wednesday, 8 February 2012 2:59 PM Subject: LA QUESTION

----- Forwarded Message -----From: Areej Abbas <areej.aldura@...>" " < > Sent: Wednesday, 8 February 2012, 14:57Subject: Re: LA QUESTIO

Mental Nerve Block

The incisive nerve innervates the lower teeth anterior to the mental foramen to the midline. The anesthetic solution should be deposited in the same area as the mental block, but the incisive nerve runs inside the foramen, so the needle is directed into the foramen. The anesthetic must diffuse into the foramen to affect the incisive nerve. Pressure applied to the injection site after needle withdrawal may help to guide

the solution into the foramen.

Till now I have never prefered infiltration for mandible thinking its a dense bone so LA wont act well (compared to maxilla) as ID nerve is in ID canal and bone is dense so its not going to reach there through infiltration. (which is quite true) and results are quite unpredictable... i personaly never prefered infiltration to mandibular teeth (esp posteriors) for RCT or Extraction and this is what we were told ! I quite agree with this. Though I have given Mental/Incisive for extraction of mandbular incisiors (which has

worked well)

REGARDS

PADMA

HI

TOOTH

PULPAL

SOFT TISSUE

BUCCAL

LINGUL

IA

IA

IA

GG

GG

GG

AM

AM

AM

Inc

Inc

PDL

PDL

Men

IS

Inf>90%Success

PDL

IS

Inf

canine

IA

IA

IA

GG

GG

GG

AM

AM

AM

Inc

Inc

PDL

PDL

PDL

IS

Inf>80% Success

IS

Men

Inf

Premolars

IA

IA

IA

GG

GG

GG

AM

AM

AM

PDL

PDL

PDL

IS

IS

Ins

Men

Inf

Molars

IA

GG

IA

GG

AM 50% Success

GG

AM

PDL

AM

PDL

IS

PDL

Inf

IS

IA-INFERIOR ALVEOLAR

Inc-INCISIVE NERVE BLOCK

Men- MENTAL NERVE BLOCK

IS-INTRA SEPTAL INJ

Inf-INFILTRATION INJ

Regards

PADMA

• 2 months later...
Guest guest

Thank you From: Balsam_Majid <balsam_majid@...> " " < > Sent: Sunday, April 8, 2012 9:04 PM Subject: Re: LA Question

Arrythmia ,Mepivacaine Neurotoxic ,articaine Balsam Sent from my iPadOn 8 Apr 2012, at 20:17, "neis39" <neis39@...> wrote:

Which LA is given to a patient with cardiac arrhythmias?

Which LA is neurotixic at 4%?

Would anyone please answer this questions

Many thanks