RemedySpot.com

X-ray

Rate this topic

Guest guest

In a message dated 07/11/2006 13:26:04 GMT Standard Time, knightmeekyeong@... writes:

Hi, I took my little girl to a dentist at a hospital and she suggested that 's teeth need x-raying before any treatment. Please can anybody tell me this is ok? I don't want x-rayed if it is harmful.

>>Dental Xrays are relatively minor exposure, they should use a heavy bib on her (its lined with Lead). Be sure that doesn;t get any metal fillings

HTHMandi in Poole

Hi, I took my little girl to a dentist at a hospital and she suggested that 's teeth need x-raying before any treatment. Please can anybody tell me this is ok? I don't want x-rayed if it is harmful. thanks in advance Mee-Kyeong Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger.

• 10 months later...

It comes down to what you want to know.

The trouble is that we can't see vertebral subluxation on film. We see it in our exam.

abiding by the philosophy below, one would have to Xray every patient. Some people do and they justify it fairly well. I respect that. I don't personally agree, but i respect that as long as they can justify it with clinical findings. Similarily I'd hope that there is mutual respect for those who choose to rely on the unique presentation of each patient before ordering a film. That being said, it is naive to think that there arent folks out there overutilizing Xray for profit. It's a sad fact, particularily in our profession.

Our noninvasive vitalistic hand healing profession doesn't NEED to see to know on every case. We're not performing brain surgery here folks. It's a chiropractic adjustment.

ph Medlin, DCSpine Tree Chiropractic1627 NE Alberta St.Portland, OR 97211

X-RAY

As my old x-ray professor told me...."To see is to know"....and "Not to see is Not to know".....So now I'm supposed to change that notion to some other idea??........J. Pedersen DC

• 3 weeks later...

Ditto Dan

Carl Bonofiglio, D. C.

-- X-ray

Doc's

I just finished my ROF on a NPwho had previously been treated here in the Metro area by a fine DC.

What I wanted to share with you all following the discussion of X-raying patient's is that this particular patient was not -x-rayed by the previos DC. He had been under care for about 3 years, treating PRN.

Hx of motorcycle accident w/ complaints of right c-t trap tightness/pain. the clavicle on the right side had been fx and healed following the accident.

Physical exam revealed higyh right shoulder w/palpable scoliosis, right cervical translation and forward head posture. hypertonicity/hypomobility, str/spr. No overt Orth Neuro.

X-ray exam revealed fairly significant scoliosis lev/dextro apices L4, T11, T5 and C7 w/right translation of skull on c-spine. Significant left lateral uncinate spur, loss of C lordosis. Minor DJD @ apices.

Now again the question I ask and actually shake my head at is that I know this DC and she/he is a good DC, in my opinion. However did the DC really do a good job? In my opinion, absolutely not. Why be an expensive aspirin? Cause that is all this Doc really did for this patient.

Why not be a real doctor and get this patient into flexibility programs keep him on a schedule of care appropriate to the condition add disc retration and possible cervical home traction etc, etc intead of TELLING THE PATIENT TO COME BACK ' WHEN IT HURTS'.

SHEESH

Danno

Danno,

That is a perfect example of why x-rays should be considered a standard of care for a chiropractor. The same happens often in my practice. New patient with years of regular chiro care and not one x-ray! Crazy!

I found one Oregon D.C. who even has this on his website homepage under "What should you look for in a Chiropractor":

"Avoid chiropractors that x-ray every patient. There are specific and well documented reasons for performing x-rays. A reputable chiropractor will x-ray only the patients who require it. Feel free to question your chiropractor about the need for x-rays in your case. It is never a good idea to x-ray you periodically to see if changes in your vertebral misalignments have occurred."

In my opinion, this is garbage. Maybe I should put this on my website:

"Avoid chiropractors that do not x-ray their patients. There are specific and well documented reasons for performing x-rays prior to the initiation of chiropractic treatment. A reputable chiropractor will typically x-ray for vertebral misalignments of the spinal column and the associated pathologies which may result from these misalignments. Feel free to question your chiropractor about the importance of x-rays in your case. According to HCFA guidelines, an x-ray may be used to document vertebral misalignments and is considered reasonably proximate if it was taken no more than 12 months prior to or 3 months following the initiation of a course of chiropractic treatment. A chiropractor may take comparison x-rays to measure for improved alignment when there is significant observable clinical indications."

I think many docs don't x-ray because their clinical focus and training does not require x-rays. This is fine, but why attempt to degrade your colleagues who do use x-ray as part of their diagnostic and clinical focus?

Also, there is this great fear that spinal x-rays are incredibly harmful and are going to give someone cancer. If you do your research, this theory does not hold water. In fact, some schools of thought say that a certain amount of x-ray exposure may be good for you! More research is needed.

It's a shame that some chiropractors are attempting to get rid of x-ray as part of chiropractic practice. It is such an important clinical tool and has always been an integral part of the chiropractic diagnostic work-up. The ability to do a biomechanical x-ray analysis of the human spine is a very valuable and unique service! In my opinion, it is professional insanity to eradicate x-rays as part of our standard of care.

Jamey Dyson

X-ray

Doc's

I just finished my ROF on a NPwho had previously been treated here in the Metro area by a fine DC.

What I wanted to share with you all following the discussion of X-raying patient's is that this particular patient was not -x-rayed by the previos DC. He had been under care for about 3 years, treating PRN.

Hx of motorcycle accident w/ complaints of right c-t trap tightness/pain. the clavicle on the right side had been fx and healed following the accident.

Physical exam revealed higyh right shoulder w/palpable scoliosis, right cervical translation and forward head posture. hypertonicity/hypomobility, str/spr. No overt Orth Neuro.

X-ray exam revealed fairly significant scoliosis lev/dextro apices L4, T11, T5 and C7 w/right translation of skull on c-spine. Significant left lateral uncinate spur, loss of C lordosis. Minor DJD @ apices.

Now again the question I ask and actually shake my head at is that I know this DC and she/he is a good DC, in my opinion. However did the DC really do a good job? In my opinion, absolutely not. Why be an expensive aspirin? Cause that is all this Doc really did for this patient.

Why not be a real doctor and get this patient into flexibility programs keep him on a schedule of care appropriate to the condition add disc retration and possible cervical home traction etc, etc intead of TELLING THE PATIENT TO COME BACK ' WHEN IT HURTS'.

SHEESH

Danno

• 4 years later...
Guest guest

Ore questions

1- X-ray in child to see presence of tooth -buds

2- X-ray in which 2 cm radiolucency around the apex of upper incisor

3- X-ray in TMJ pain ?

Thanks for help

Balsam

Sent from my iPhone

Guest guest

Thanks for ur email Although I disagree with you regarding 3I think it's OPG and or panoramic TMJ field limitation programme with mouth closed and opened whaites book page 413 , 4th editionWould like to hear for other opinions plzSent from my iPadOn 24 Mar 2012, at 16:13, ebtessam elhamalawy <ebtessamhamalawy@...> wrote:

hi basmala1. if the child is less than 3 then bimolar ERIC WHITESif older then use OPG2. PARALLELING PERIAPICALS , CHURCHIL (SMALL CYST)3. TMJ : depending on the condition primary diagnosis MRI if there is a problem in the DISC or CT or tomography to visualize the articulating surfaces if the TMJ. BEST REGARDSEBTISAM From: Balsam

Majid <balsam_majid@...> Sent: Saturday, 24 March 2012, 15:34 Subject: X-ray

Ore questions

1- X-ray in child to see presence of tooth -buds

2- X-ray in which 2 cm radiolucency around the apex of upper incisor

3- X-ray in TMJ pain ?

Thanks for help

Balsam

Sent from my iPhone

=