saliva

Rate this topic

Guest guest

• 6 years later...
Guest guest

Let him carry a water bottle. When he feels the need to spit, have him take a

drink from the water bottle. This will get him to swallow, and the saliva goes

down with it. Also, if needed you might want to make up a couple of concrete

rules about spitting to identify when and where it is appropriate to spit.

Often times children with aspergers do better with clear rules and boudaries to

govern the behavior.

Bill

>

> Hi

>

> My lad is 7 and Aspergers. At school recently they have been told that

spit/saliva contains germs... He has now decided that it is dangerous for him to

swallow his saliva and will spit down the sleeve of his tops and every

oportunity. We have started a social story but although he know understands that

he should swallow his saliva he says he just can't. Help any more idea's

>

> lorna

>

Guest guest

Bill, your idea for having the kid carry a water bottle. I wish I had thought of that when Karac had that problem. Fortunately, giving him a rule about where and when he could spit stopped it. Pat K

Re: Saliva

Let him carry a water bottle. When he feels the need to spit, have him take a drink from the water bottle. This will get him to swallow, and the saliva goes down with it. Also, if needed you might want to make up a couple of concrete rules about spitting to identify when and where it is appropriate to spit. Often times children with aspergers do better with clear rules and boudaries to govern the behavior.

Bill

>

> Hi

>

> My lad is 7 and Aspergers. At school recently they have been told that spit/saliva contains germs... He has now decided that it is dangerous for him to swallow his saliva and will spit down the sleeve of his tops and every oportunity. We have started a social story but although he know understands that he should swallow his saliva he says he just can't. Help any more idea's

>

> lorna

>

Guest guest

can he have little sips of water? I think saliva is gross to and I even go to a sink and spit through out the day but when I can't I take little sips of water with lemon and that helps me.From: lornakettleborough <lornakett@...>Subject: Salivaautism Date: Thursday, April 15, 2010, 1:34 AM

Hi

My lad is 7 and Aspergers. At school recently they have been told that spit/saliva contains germs... He has now decided that it is dangerous for him to swallow his saliva and will spit down the sleeve of his tops and every oportunity. We have started a social story but although he know understands that he should swallow his saliva he says he just can't. Help any more idea's

lorna

Guest guest

Depending on his personality, maybe having him poll 10 people to see whether

they swallow their saliva and whether it's ever made them sick might help undo

the accidental learning he received.

Dena

www.listenbetterwithAIT.com

>

> Hi

>

> My lad is 7 and Aspergers. At school recently they have been told that

spit/saliva contains germs... He has now decided that it is dangerous for him to

swallow his saliva and will spit down the sleeve of his tops and every

oportunity. We have started a social story but although he know understands that

he should swallow his saliva he says he just can't. Help any more idea's

>

> lorna

>

Guest guest

What about telling him that before he learned this..he was swallowing his saliva every day and how often does he get sick? LoriFrom: DenaP <denapage@...>autism Sent: Thu, April 15, 2010 2:37:30 PMSubject: Re:

Saliva

Depending on his personality, maybe having him poll 10 people to see whether they swallow their saliva and whether it's ever made them sick might help undo the accidental learning he received.

Dena

www.listenbetterwit hAIT.com

>

> Hi

>

> My lad is 7 and Aspergers. At school recently they have been told that spit/saliva contains germs... He has now decided that it is dangerous for him to swallow his saliva and will spit down the sleeve of his tops and every oportunity. We have started a social story but although he know understands that he should swallow his saliva he says he just can't. Help any more idea's

>

> lorna

>

• 2 years later...