Another thing it does is kill the appetite a little. The more I take

the less I have a desire to eat.

I believe it may speed up the metabolism a little and bring blood to

the brain. That's my theory anyway.

As for the scientific studies that say it doesn't work, it works for

me.

Tom

I've seen references to St s Wort here recently, does anyone here

find that it really helps, and has there been any problems taking it?

Thanks, Joe

St. 's wort did absolutely nothing for me. I'd suggest reading the latest news on supplements/herbs for depression, nutritional deficiencies, what works in conjunction with what, and looking at more than just one thing for depression if that's what it is. If it isn't, I really don't know why you'd consider taking St. 's Wort. Hope this is some help. The information is misconstued on most of the sites, just so you know. joe <spaceplayer2112@...> wrote:

I've seen references to St s Wort here recently, does anyone herefind that it really helps, and has there been any problems taking it?Thanks, Joe__________________________________________________

St. 's wort did absolutely nothing for me. I'd suggest reading the latest news on supplements/herbs for depression, nutritional deficiencies, what works in conjunction with what, and looking at more than just one thing for depression if that's what it is. If it isn't, I really don't know why you'd consider taking St. 's Wort. Hope this is some help. The information is misconstued on most of the sites, just so you know. joe <spaceplayer2112@...> wrote:

I've seen references to St s Wort here recently, does anyone herefind that it really helps, and has there been any problems taking it?Thanks, Joe__________________________________________________

Nick and Joe,

It doesn't kick in right away though. The effect is cummulative. And

if your depression or anxiety is severe, it won't help much.

It all depends on your physiognimy. It will NOT work for some people

but will work for others.

Tom

Thanks, Joe

Nick and Joe,

It doesn't kick in right away though. The effect is cummulative. And

if your depression or anxiety is severe, it won't help much.

It all depends on your physiognimy. It will NOT work for some people

but will work for others.

Tom

Thanks, Joe

This herb can help if the depression is related to the lackof light, like those common in people during winter season, etc.

Once I took a great depression quiz in www.realage.com that scrutinizes every aspect of your life so you would know which herb is good for you, according to the whole bunch of what you feel, and which do not work. I took the herb quiz thing because I wanted something to help me sleep...accodring to the test the only one that would not cause me any harm was valerian...but for some reason the saint john´s wort was not good for me.

Hope it helps ya.

Marilia

Re: St s Wort

St. 's wort did absolutely nothing for me. I'd suggest reading the latest news on supplements/herbs for depression, nutritional deficiencies, what works in conjunction with what, and looking at more than just one thing for depression if that's what it is. If it isn't, I really don't know why you'd consider taking St. 's Wort. Hope this is some help. The information is misconstued on most of the sites, just so you know. joe <spaceplayer2112@...> wrote: I've seen references to St s Wort here recently, does anyone herefind that it really helps, and has there been any problems taking it?Thanks, Joe

This herb can help if the depression is related to the lackof light, like those common in people during winter season, etc.

Once I took a great depression quiz in www.realage.com that scrutinizes every aspect of your life so you would know which herb is good for you, according to the whole bunch of what you feel, and which do not work. I took the herb quiz thing because I wanted something to help me sleep...accodring to the test the only one that would not cause me any harm was valerian...but for some reason the saint john´s wort was not good for me.

Hope it helps ya.

Marilia

St. 's wort did absolutely nothing for me. I'd suggest reading the latest news on supplements/herbs for depression, nutritional deficiencies, what works in conjunction with what, and looking at more than just one thing for depression if that's what it is. If it isn't, I really don't know why you'd consider taking St. 's Wort. Hope this is some help. The information is misconstued on most of the sites, just so you know. joe <spaceplayer2112@...> wrote: I've seen references to St s Wort here recently, does anyone herefind that it really helps, and has there been any problems taking it?Thanks, Joe

Just to add, in that site I told ya, you can check herbs by type of by uses. I decided to check on saint johsn wort, and after I picked that one it asked me I was pregnant, if I was taking this and that drug, etc, and with my answers I got another page which will tell me more about it...it shows:

Your responses indicate that St.-'s-wort should be safe for you to take. St.-'s-wort may be taken for anxiety, depression, and depressed moods.

Click to find out more about the uses, dosages, traditional uses, active components, scientific background and history of St-'s-wort.

You've requested information about the following herbs or conditions. Your personalized safe use chart has been updated below.

Herb

Safe

Not Safe

St.-'s-wort

anxietydepression or depressed mood

You can do that with any other drug or condition...check it for yourself to see if you like the place, what they say, etc.

Best wishes,

Marilia

Thanks for the link, Marilia. Maybe I'll add it on my site.

Inger

This herb can help if the depression is related to the lackof light, like

those common in people during winter season, etc.

Once I took a great depression quiz in www.realage.com that scrutinizes

every aspect of your life so you would know which herb is good for you,

according to the whole bunch of what you feel, and which do not work. I took

the herb quiz thing because I wanted something to help me sleep...accodring

to the test the only one that would not cause me any harm was valerian...but

for some reason the saint john´s wort was not good for me.

Hope it helps ya.

Marilia

• 4 years later...

,If she was taking the supplements and still had enough of the problems that they wanted to look at NF, then I would expect the patterns would still be present--as they generally are with medications.  You could always try asking them to skip the supplements for a day (I don't believe they build up blood levels, though I'm not sure) or two and then try the assessment again to see if it looks a lot different.

I'd obviously be looking for depressive patterns and perhaps some big differences in the anterior cingulate (Fz or Cz compared to F3/F4 or C3/C4 or high fastwave coherences.Pete-- Van Deusen

pvdtlc@...http://www.brain-trainer.comUSA 305 433 3160BR 47 3346 6235The Learning Curve, Inc.

On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 12:49 AM, akamin2@... <akamin2@...> wrote:

I hope this falls under " no such thing as a dumb question " but I just did an assessment on an 8yo girl that has some issues that trend towards OCD. She often seems rigid and inflexible in her thinking with bouts of repetitive behavior and dark moods. Her dad has given her St s wort which has helped her a lot. I was wondering if giving her St s wort or other supplements like amino acids (tyrosine) will affect the EEG brainwave patterns or do they do thier work on the neurotrasmitters without changing the underlying EEG? I ask this because I did the assessment on her without having the father stop her supplements.

This makes sense to me. I’ve previously been on an SSRI and have

taken St ’s Wort too and they produced similar effects for me.

Reducing alpha/increasing beta at left frontal/central sites

does the same thing for me, since I’m a real alpha head.

Probably too much info.

Mark

[mailto: ] On Behalf

Of ph Barr

Sent: Tuesday, 27 October 2009 3:14 AM

Subject: St s Wort

All:

I do believe that SJW builds up like an SSRI.

JB

Dr ph Barr

Biofeedback North

Deerfield/Northbrook, Illinois

www.bfnorth.com

No virus

found in this incoming message.

Checked by AVG - www.avg.com

Version: 8.5.423 / Virus Database: 270.14.32/2459 - Release Date: 10/25/09

19:57:00

Dear andrew : the st. john wart is an extract of flower (herbal) that has an antidepressant effect unlike the other mood stabilizers as valproate or carbamazepine which have a neuronal membrane affection that's why it will not affect the EEG pattern though u have to consider the EEG changes of the OCD on the EEG as it may show frontal slowing (theta) rather than the effect of the medicine itself.

Dr. Hany El-Hennawy

Psychiatrist & Neurofeedback practitioner

Aviation medical council - Caito - Egypt

From: akamin2@... <akamin2@...>Subject: St s wort Date: Monday, October 26, 2009, 4:49 AM

Hi Folks,I hope this falls under "no such thing as a dumb question" but I just did an assessment on an 8yo girl that has some issues that trend towards OCD. She often seems rigid and inflexible in her thinking with bouts of repetitive behavior and dark moods. Her dad has given her St s wort which has helped her a lot. I was wondering if giving her St s wort or other supplements like amino acids (tyrosine) will affect the EEG brainwave patterns or do they do thier work on the neurotrasmitters without changing the underlying EEG? I ask this because I did the assessment on her without having the father stop her supplements.Thank you all for any feedback KaminSebastopol, CA

The citations below indicate that St. 's wort (hypericum extract) can

produce effects on the EEG.

R. Boddington

Br J Clin Pharmacol. 2002 Sep;54(3):277-82.

The effects of St 's wort extract on heart rate variability, cognitive

function and quantitative EEG: a comparison with amitriptyline and placebo in

healthy men.

" St 's wort extract increased theta power density. "

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1874427/pdf/bcp0054-0277.pdf

Eur J Med Res. 1999 Aug 25;4(8):303-12.

Pharmacodynamic properties of St. 's wort-A single blind neurophysiological

study in healthy subjects comparing two commercial preparations.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10471542

" In summary quantitative EEG proved to be able to discriminate between different

extracts of St. 's wort with respect to time of effect and profile changes

on neuronal communication structure. "

Pharmacopsychiatry. 1998 Jun;31 Suppl 1:44-53.

Pharmacodynamic effects of two different hypericum extracts in healthy

volunteers measured by quantitative EEG.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9684947

" The extract containing 5.0% hyperforin showed a marked tendency to produce

higher increases in qEEG baseline power performances than the one containing

0.5% hyperforin. These higher baseline outputs on day 8 were seen at the delta,

theta, and alpha-1 frequency values. Compared to placebo there was a significant

increase in qEEG power performance in the delta and beta-1 frequency values

exclusively for the extract containing 5.0% hyperforin. The theta and alpha-1

frequency values showed a noticeable tendency more emphasized on day 8 than on

day 1. "

J Geriatr Psychiatry Neurol. 1994 Oct;7 Suppl 1:S44-6.

Effects of hypericum extract LI 160 compared with maprotiline on resting EEG and

evoked potentials in 24 volunteers.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7857508

" In resting EEGs, both medications revealed oppositely directed changes in the

theta frequencies, and mainly similarly directed changes in alpha and beta

frequencies. Measurements of evoked potentials in the theta and beta frequencies

supported these results. "

>

>

> From: akamin2@... <akamin2@...>

> Subject: St s wort

>

> Date: Monday, October 26, 2009, 4:49 AM

>

>

>  

>

>

>

> Hi Folks,

>

> I hope this falls under " no such thing as a dumb question " but I just did an

assessment on an 8yo girl that has some issues that trend towards OCD. She often

seems rigid and inflexible in her thinking with bouts of repetitive behavior and

dark moods. Her dad has given her St s wort which has helped her a lot. I

was wondering if giving her St s wort or other supplements like amino acids

(tyrosine) will affect the EEG brainwave patterns or do they do thier work on

the neurotrasmitters without changing the underlying EEG? I ask this because I

did the assessment on her without having the father stop her supplements.

>

> Thank you all for any feedback

>

> Kamin

> Sebastopol, CA

>

We do Referenced EEG's in our lab to help predict medication response. A person has to be off of medications and supplements for 5 half lives of the substances involved for effects to not be registered in the EEG. St. 's wort requires withholding for 6 days. Ed Hamlin

St s wort

>

> Date: Monday, October 26, 2009, 4:49 AM

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Hi Folks,

>

> I hope this falls under "no such thing as a dumb question" but I just did an assessment on an 8yo girl that has some issues that trend towards OCD. She often seems rigid and inflexible in her thinking with bouts of repetitive behavior and dark moods. Her dad has given her St s wort which has helped her a lot. I was wondering if giving her St s wort or other supplements like amino acids (tyrosine) will affect the EEG brainwave patterns or do they do thier work on the neurotrasmitters without changing the underlying EEG? I ask this because I did the assessment on her without having the father stop her supplements.

>

> Thank you all for any feedback

>

> Kamin

> Sebastopol, CA

>

• 2 years later...
Guest guest

I think I saw a post a while back about someone who was healed by St s Wort

but I can't find it. Can anyone help me with that?

Thanks,

Sharon

Guest guest

Hi Sharon, I am going to assume you have tried using the search option?? I am

sorry, I don't recall it.

Terry

>

> I think I saw a post a while back about someone who was healed by St s

Wort but I can't find it. Can anyone help me with that?

>

> Thanks,

> Sharon

>

Guest guest

Hi Terry: I did use teh search option but couldn't find it. I think someone

mentioned someone else for whom it had worked well.

Thanks, Sharon

> >

> > I think I saw a post a while back about someone who was healed by St s

Wort but I can't find it. Can anyone help me with that?

> >

> > Thanks,

> > Sharon

> >

>