room with a cardiologist, a cadiac nurse and a defibrillator when i

had

my cardiac arrest,now i have my own icd defib,how do you all feel

about

having a machine inside you,what are your thoughts on your outlook in

life since you recieved your icd,do you have mortality issues

regarding

it,if you recieve a lot of fluttering feelings after having icd fitte

what should i do,look forward to your replys regards Bruce.

hi sydney,thanks for your reply,did you have mixed feelings about having the icd at first,i am grateful to have the icd to,just at first it was a bit strange.

From: Sydney <autumn_moon1@...>Subject: Re: icd Date: Saturday, 22 November, 2008, 10:13 PM

Hi Bruce,

I had a heart attack due to the chemotherapy I was receiving for breast cancer. It left me in heart failure, my EF is 20%. It took me quite a while to adjust to having an ICD in my chest. Thanks to time and this wonderful group of people, I am now comfortable with it and very grateful that I have it.

Welcome to the group, you will learn so much here.

Sydney

-- icd

hi there,firstly thanks for allowing me to join your club,i will tell you my lucky heart story,please feel free to comment,i am 45 years old and i was recently taking part in a clinical trial regarding heart failure and insulin resistance,after doing a exercise test which was regarded normal,the cardiologist with me asked if i was ok,i said yes then seconds later felt this really bad fluttering feeling,the cardiologist asked again if i was ok,i said no,he and a cardiac nurse put me on a bed,where he informed me that as i was hooked up to the ecg machine it is showing that my heart had gone into VT,i was shocked by defib there and then by the cardiologist to try and get rhytm back to normal,this didnt work,i then arrested,when i came to i was in ccu after being shocked again,i was later implanted with icd,this was 8 weeks ago,the rest of my medical history is that i had a heart attack aged

30,a heart bypass aged 30,and a further bypass operation aged 33,the heart attack left me with heart failure and angina,i have also have familial hypercholesterolemi a,so thats my lucky story being in a room with a cardiologist, a cadiac nurse and a defibrillator when i had my cardiac arrest,now i have my own icd defib,how do you all feel about having a machine inside you,what are your thoughts on your outlook in life since you recieved your icd,do you have mortality issues regarding it,if you recieve a lot of fluttering feelings after having icd fitte what should i do,look forward to your replys regards Bruce.

thanks sydney appreciate your comments,will keep in touch

regards Bruce

From: Sydney <autumn_moon1@ verizon.net>Subject: Re: icd@groups .comDate: Saturday, 22 November, 2008, 10:13 PM

Hi Bruce,

I had a heart attack due to the chemotherapy I was receiving for breast cancer. It left me in heart failure, my EF is 20%. It took me quite a while to adjust to having an ICD in my chest. Thanks to time and this wonderful group of people, I am now comfortable with it and very grateful that I have it.

Welcome to the group, you will learn so much here.

Sydney

-- icd

hi there,firstly thanks for allowing me to join your club,i will tell you my lucky heart story,please feel free to comment,i am 45 years old and i was recently taking part in a clinical trial regarding heart failure and insulin resistance,after doing a exercise test which was regarded normal,the cardiologist with me asked if i was ok,i said yes then seconds later felt this really bad fluttering feeling,the cardiologist asked again if i was ok,i said no,he and a cardiac nurse put me on a bed,where he informed me that as i was hooked up to the ecg machine it is showing that my heart had gone into VT,i was shocked by defib there and then by the cardiologist to try and get rhytm back to normal,this didnt work,i then arrested,when i came to i was in ccu after being shocked again,i was later implanted with icd,this was 8 weeks ago,the rest of my medical history is that i had a heart attack aged

30,a heart bypass aged 30,and a further bypass operation aged 33,the heart attack left me with heart failure and angina,i have also have familial hypercholesterolemi a,so thats my lucky story being in a room with a cardiologist, a cadiac nurse and a defibrillator when i had my cardiac arrest,now i have my own icd defib,how do you all feel about having a machine inside you,what are your thoughts on your outlook in life since you recieved your icd,do you have mortality issues regarding it,if you recieve a lot of fluttering feelings after having icd fitte what should i do,look forward to your replys regards Bruce.

hi Guin,thanks for your reply,what you say makes a lot of sense,good to hear you have not been shocked in 9 years,its good to know that,its good to hear from others like yourself,i will keep in touch

regards Bruce>> hi there,firstly thanks for allowing me to join your club,i will tell> you my lucky heart

story,please feel free to comment,i am 45 years> old and i was recently taking part in a clinical trial regarding> heart> failure and insulin resistance,after doing a exercise test which was> regarded normal,the cardiologist with me asked if i was ok,i said yes> then seconds later felt this really bad fluttering feeling,the> cardiologist asked again if i was ok,i said no,he and a cardiac nurse> put me on a bed,where he informed me that as i was hooked up to the> ecg> machine it is showing that my heart had gone into VT,i was shocked by> defib there and then by the cardiologist to try and get rhytm back to> normal,this didnt work,i then arrested,when i came to i was in ccu> after being shocked again,i was later implanted with icd,this was 8> weeks ago,the rest of my medical history is that i had a heart attack> aged 30,a heart bypass aged 30,and a further

bypass operation aged> 33,the heart attack left me with heart failure and angina,i have also> have familial hypercholesterolemi a,so thats my lucky story being in> a> room with a cardiologist, a cadiac nurse and a defibrillator when i> had> my cardiac arrest,now i have my own icd defib,how do you all feel> about> having a machine inside you,what are your thoughts on your outlook in> life since you recieved your icd,do you have mortality issues> regarding> it,if you recieve a lot of fluttering feelings after having icd fitte> what should i do,look forward to your replys regards Bruce.>>

Bruce,

Glad you found us. This group has been a life-support for me.

A little background:

March 31, 2005 I was using the rowing machine at the fitness center where I worked and I had a cardiac arrest. Fortunately they had an Automatic External Defibrillator on hand and people that knew how to use it. It gave me a shock and saved my life.

At the hospital the cardilogist and EP did a lot of tests on my heart including an EP Study. They said I needed an ICD and I had one implanted.

Upon discharge from the hospital I received no precautions or info on how an ICD would change my life. All I got was a booklet about living with an ICD published by the manufaturer of my ICD. It said to get as much exercise as possible. That was fine by me because prior to my cardiac arrest I belonged to two fitness centers and I worked out 2 hours a day, seven days a week. So after I completed cardiac rehab I began bicycling.

On July 5, 2005 I was bicycling when my heart went into V-Tach and my ICD shocked me for the first time. I fell over on my bike, fractured my skull, sustained a Traumatic Brain Injury, and was in a coma for about a month. I was in 5 hospitals and 2 in-patient rehab facilities for 3 months. After being discharged I tried returning to work but I was unable to resume my full work duties.

So after negotiating a severance agreement with the pharmaceutical company I worked for, I went on Social Security Disability for about 18 months. I got a new job about 14 months ago and I am doing alright.

After my accident my heart kept going into V-Tach about once a month, and I would get shocked. Then 3 years ago my EP did a catheter ablation on my left ventrical. In the 3 years since, I have gone into V-Tach and been shocked about once a year.

So these little devices are lifesavers. I just hope your doctor gave you some idea of what life may be like with one. My doctors should have given me a list of precautions and restrictions on activities before I was discharged from the hospital. That little booklet they gave me said I may not feel a shock at all or perhaps just a thump in the chest. After having my ICD shock me several times I can say that you will definitely feel it if it shocks you. It always scares the living daylights out of me.

Needless to say I don't go bicycling anymore. I gave my bike away. I hope you have better results living with your ICD than I have. I wish I had found this group before my accident. There is a lot of good info I got about ICDs from the group. Oh well, better late than never.

Joe>> hi there,firstly thanks for allowing me to join your club,i will tell> you my lucky heart

story,please feel free to comment,i am 45 years> old and i was recently taking part in a clinical trial regarding> heart> failure and insulin resistance,after doing a exercise test which was> regarded normal,the cardiologist with me asked if i was ok,i said yes> then seconds later felt this really bad fluttering feeling,the> cardiologist asked again if i was ok,i said no,he and a cardiac nurse> put me on a bed,where he informed me that as i was hooked up to the> ecg> machine it is showing that my heart had gone into VT,i was shocked by> defib there and then by the cardiologist to try and get rhytm back to> normal,this didnt work,i then arrested,when i came to i was in ccu> after being shocked again,i was later implanted with icd,this was 8> weeks ago,the rest of my medical history is that i had a heart attack> aged 30,a heart bypass aged 30,and a further

bypass operation aged> 33,the heart attack left me with heart failure and angina,i have also> have familial hypercholesterolemi a,so thats my lucky story being in> a> room with a cardiologist, a cadiac nurse and a defibrillator when i> had> my cardiac arrest,now i have my own icd defib,how do you all feel> about> having a machine inside you,what are your thoughts on your outlook in> life since you recieved your icd,do you have mortality issues> regarding> it,if you recieve a lot of fluttering feelings after having icd fitte> what should i do,look forward to your replys regards Bruce.>>

forgot to add bruce i'm now 25 my icd was placed when i was merly 10 years old

stacie,25 shocking life for shocking people and sean collie (aug-26-2001--may-20-2008) always and forever service dog and hero and NOW kira srvice dog and hero !

From: bruce grant <bsgrant@...> Sent: Monday, November 24, 2008 2:19:29 PMSubject: Re: icd

hi Guin,thanks for your reply,what you say makes a lot of sense,good to hear you have not been shocked in 9 years,its good to know that,its good to hear from others like yourself,i will keep in touch

regards Bruce>> hi there,firstly thanks for allowing me to join your club,i will tell> you my lucky heart

hi there,thanks for your reply,your story is an insparation for others,you have been through a lot in your young life,are you american,if so what is the health care there like,being in vt for 11plus hours must have been a nightmare god knows how you coped with that,as you say life woul be scarier without the icd,im slowly getting used to it,but there is a good reason its there,there are not many icd support groups in scotland,how bout where you are,but this group good as you can speak to people who can relate to what its like,take care of yourself.

hi there, you were lucky to be where you were when you had your cardiac arrest,ive only had my icd for about ten weeks,im still getting used to it,i left hospital with a booklet on my icd and an icd card which i have to carry all the time,and that was about it,until i found this group i knew no one else who had an icd,and would be able to relate to things i might want to ask,thaks for your reply,hope this finds you well.regads Bruce>> hi there,firstly thanks for allowing me to join your club,i will tell> you my lucky heart