RemedySpot.com

Re: Re: mouth gums in bad shape

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Tony: thanks for the lengthy answer. I had a bone density test several years ago and was found to be osteopenic (is that the term?). However, after list discussions during which we determined that CRONIES may have naturally less bone mass (because we don't need more), I stopped worrying about it. I have no idea if the dentist knows whether it's bone loss from osteoporosis or just gum problems.

I do have gum problems in the family. Both parents had gum problems (and tooth loss) and my two children both have gum problems. Until recently I was told I had pockets and have been able to keep that under control though I confess I haven't used mouthwash to the extent that Maco suggested; simply rinsed every once in a while.

My mother who lived to be almost 98 had no osteoporosis so I assume it does not run in the family. Other relatives died too young to make any such determination about them.

Also, I have taken a couple of bad falls in the past year with no problems. Both on hard concrete which would probably have cracked a bone in someone who had osteoporosis. Of course that is just an observation. I do exercise diligently both with and without weights.

on 1/8/2007 5:56 PM, citpeks at citpeks@... wrote:

It would help to know about your overall bone health. Have you had

any bone density tests?

Tony

No answers for you Rod, however I have some new suggestions from my son who has had gum problems for some years.

First of all he suggested I switch dentists because my dentist was vague and evasive which was certainly unnecessary and a bit scary (and I agree with that). I am going to make an appt with the dentist that my son Brad recommended. Then Brad suggested that toothpastes and even most mouthwashes will not reach into the infected deep pockets. He suggested a water pic which is something that he has been using. A good mouthwash can then be inserted into the water pic to successfully irrigate down into the infected pockets.

I told him about Maco's regimen and he thought that Maco might be doing a sort of " home remedy " scaling procedure (such as suggested by Mark). My son Brad was impressed with it and is going to try Maco's procedure himself. The actual scaling procedure by the dentist, is something that Brad has had done several times in the past and it is likely that is what I will need done (although I have no idea why my dentist couldn't tell me that in the first place).

Finally Brad suggested that anyone with dental problems should get health coverage for dental. There is something on the web called " Barrington Health Plan " which is cheap, covers you just about immediately after applying for coverage, and gives a good dental discount if you don't have any other dental coverage. IOW I can apply tonight and have coverage at my next dental visit.

on 1/8/2007 8:41 PM, Rodney at perspect1111@... wrote:

Hi folks:

Plenty of interesting and helpful suggestions here. Thanks

everyone.

But does anyone know of any *studies* ........ that have taken

different approaches with oral hygiene and measured results in

experimental groups versus a control group?

I checked out your reference for CoQ10. Says the studies are too small to come to any real conclusion that this product is beneficial for periodontal uses.

on 1/9/2007 11:15 AM, nykaw at nighthawk@... wrote:

>I j

Anyway, I have tried CoQ10 myself as there is one area in my mouth that I occasionally have problems with (I¹m not as diligent about flossing as I should be). A few days after taking the CoQ10, any pain I have in that particular area disappears. There are quite a few sources for CoQ10 products on the web. I will email mine to you privately in case you want to check it out since I¹m affiliated with company and don¹t want to annoy the list with it.

This was the best info I could find re benefits of CoQ10:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/coenzyme-q10/NS_patient-coenzymeq10

Considering the fact that a low level fever which we (CRers) may not notice at reduced temp, can mask a bacterial infection that can have MAJOR medical problems, I would think we could know more about what we should do at home to maintain teeth.

But all I know is to floss, pick, brush often, e-toothbrush, mouthwash, and several diff toothpastes.

Surely, there's a procedure to make sure bacteria don't drill a hole way below the gum into the root, hidden from x-ray, end up with a root canal. That was 30 yrs ago.

Well, I have noticed when catsup hits a nerve - a new cavity somewhere. When cold or hot water or pressure cause a pain - get to the dentist.

And when I use a mouthwash, well, the bacti's will just hafta adapt.

EXACTLY, what do "good" bacteria do, anyway?

Regards.

[ ] Re: mouth gums in bad shape

It's been awhile since I reviewed those studies but they did pertain primarily to those containing alcohol. However, among the conclusions was it was best to stay with those that are water based. I can reference those articles if you need further details. Common sense, which of course has little place in public practice, would dictate avoidance of anything that makes your mouth burn. Got Listerine?!

At 01:17 PM 1/10/2007, you wrote:

Considering the fact that a low

level fever which we (CRers) may not notice at reduced temp, can mask a

bacterial infection that can have MAJOR medical problems, I would think

we could know more about what we should do at home to maintain

teeth.

But all I know is to floss, pick, brush often, e-toothbrush, mouthwash,

and several diff toothpastes.

Surely, there's a procedure to make sure bacteria don't drill a hole way

below the gum into the root, hidden from x-ray, end up with a root canal.

That was 30 yrs ago.

Well, I have noticed when

catsup hits a nerve - a new cavity somewhere. When cold or hot water or

pressure cause a pain - get to the dentist.

And when I use a mouthwash, well, the bacti's will just hafta adapt.

EXACTLY, what do

" good " bacteria do, anyway?

They die quickly on contact with Listerine.

;-)

Maco

On Jan 10, 2007, at 2:17 PM, jwwright wrote: EXACTLY, what do "good" bacteria do, anyway? Regards.  Crowd out bad bacteria?Different bacteria eat different stuff, poop different poop.. How this fits in the grand scheme is much speculated about but probably not well studied and understood. IIRC it was only fairly recently that they discovered ulcers were related to bacterial colonization in stomach.. I also believe some are instrumental in bio-availability of some nutrients in our gut perhaps in sympathy with digestion. I suspect there's plenty of good and bad interactions. A benign one that prevents a bad one from getting established is doing some good in an admittedly passive way.  JR