RemedySpot.com

Fw: Emailing: milk-thistle-for-your-pets

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Holistic Pet Food

How to choose a safe pet food for your dog or cat

Home About Cats Ingredients That Are Fine Ingredients to Avoid Ingredients To Seek Out Myths Old Archives Top 10 Rules for Choosing Safest and Best Pet Foods

Milk Thistle for your Pets

There are two great, over-the-counter supplements that you can give to your pets that could make a huge difference in their overall health: Milk thistle and L-Lysine. In this post, we’ll cover Milk Thistle, a common “weed†with extraordinary healing properties.

Milk Thistle

PetEducation.com, the veterinary resource arm of Drs & , says that “milk thistle is well-known for its use in liver diseaseâ€. That’s an understatement.In humans, it has shown positive effects in treating nearly every known form of liver disease, including cirrhosis, hepatitis, necroses, and liver damage due to drug and alcohol abuse. Milk thistle works due to its ability to inhibit the factors responsible for liver damage, coupled with the fact it stimulates production of new liver cells to replace old damaged ones.

I stumbled upon it because I had read that if you want to alleviate environmental toxins from hormones, pesticides, detergents, etc. (a topic of interest to me), you need to “heal†your liver, and milk thistle is the herbal remedy of choice. Your liver is basically a filter and it tires and wears out as we grow older. That “regeneration†property mentioned above really gets your attention!

But once I started reading about it, the documented health benefits just don’t quit. I am now quite a fan and won’t go without it.

Several of my friends and family, concerned about liver damage from medications such as acetominophen, have also seen the need to take it.

This link in an herbal encyclopedia speaks to some of the health benefits.

http://www.kcweb.com/herb/milkt.htm

For veterinary use, it is often recommended by holistic veterinarians to treat canine and feline liver disease. Specifically, Dr. Messonier, who writes for Animal Wellness Magazine, and holistic websites such as littlebigcat. Here is one of Dr. ’s articles on milk thistle, wow.

http://www.petcarenaturally.com/articles/liver-disease.php

Note that for veterinary use, Dr. recommends that you only use milk thistle if your pet develops a liver problem. And while I will advise you to always consult with a vet when wanting to use milk thistle, most vets are not into holistic or herbal remedies and may not be familiar with this one.

For the purists among you, here is a link to an Alternative Medicine study that searched through all of the medical databases to see if there was anything to the alternative community’s recommendations for milk thistle. While they are very scientific and complain loudly about lack of certain types of studies and data on dosage and quality, and ask questions about was this success due to the duration of the treatment or the early stage of the disease, they do conclude that there is enough benefit to milk thistle to warrant further study.

http://www.ahrq.gov/clinic/epcsums/milktsum.htmIf I can just add my own opinion… 90% of what comes through our mouths gets filtered by the liver. But the melamine contamination in the 2007 pet food recall created crystals in the kidneys and that’s what killed the animals. I doubt if any research has been done to see if milk thistle would have prevented this condition… and indeed, just with my layman’s understanding, it doesn’t look like it would have.

THAT said, there are many other types of toxins our pets can be exposed to and if those toxins result in liver aging or distress, milk thistle might be a great remedy.

Holladay, “The Pet Food Ladyâ€http://holisticpetfood.wordpress.com

This entry was posted on December 27, 2007 at 11:37 pm and is filed under holistic pet food. Tagged: Cat, Dog, liver, liver disease, milk thistle, Pets, supplement, veterinary. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

Leave a Reply

Name (required)

Mail (will not be published) (required)

Website

Subscribe

What Food Do I Recommend

People always ask what food I recommend: HealthyPetNet. It's available via online order so anyone in the U.S. can get it. But there are many other great holistic pet foods out there. Watch the short video on the HealthyPetNet website to learn about safe and unsafe ingredients in pet foods. P.S. Holistic foods are not that much more than what you buy today and you could really see veterinary cost savings over the lifetime of your pet.

Pages

About Cats

Canned Food is a Must

Ingredients That Are Fine

Stearic Acid

Ingredients to Avoid

By-Products

Corn

Wheat

Ingredients To Seek Out

Alfalfa

Antioxidants

Bacteria cultures, Pro-biotics

Beet Pulp

Brewer’s Yeast

Brown Rice

Eggs

Flax Seed Meal

Potatoes

Proteinated Minerals

Taurine (for cats AND dogs)

Myths

Dry Food Doesn’t Clean Teeth

High Protein Diets Do Not Cause Kidney Disease

Lamb and Rice Foods Don’t Prevent Allergies

Old Archives Top 10 Rules for Choosing Safest and Best Pet Foods

Categories

aflatoxin Cat Cats corn Dog Dogs Dr. Jane Bicks fish oil Foods dangerous to dogs HealthyPetNet holistic pet food Pet Food pet food lawsuits pet food legislation pet food safety Pets prescription diet pet food sorghum wheat

December 2007

M

T

W

T

F

S

S

« Oct

Recent Posts

Milk Thistle for your Pets

Fish Oil for Veterinary Use

Why Your Cat Needs a Premium Natural Dry Food

Why Your Cat Needs Canned Cat Food, the “Catkins Dietâ€!

Cornophobia, Demon Corn, Is Corn In Pet Food Really All That Bad?

How to Avoid Foods Dangerous For Your Dog

Demand for More Detailed Ingredient Labels on Pet Food

HolisticPetMenu

Can I switch my pet from a prescription diet to a holistic pet food?

What are the best ingredients in pet foods today?

My Favorite Online Holistic Vet, DogtorJ

Holistic Veterinary Books Promoting Healthy Pet Foods

Archives

December 2007 October 2007 September 2007

Blogroll

7 Site Traffic Tips Dry Fly Politics OnlyWire.com

Education - What's In Your Pet's Food?

Online Movie - What’s In Your Pet’s Food The Truth About Pet Food

Online Pet Food Movies

Online Movie - What’s In Your Pet’s Food VNN - How Pet Food is Made

Serious Ugh Factor

What’s For Dinner - 2002 Memo to Meat Inspectors - Harper’s Magazine

Top Searches Finding This Blog

how to feed my cat holistically 2007 list of top holistic puppy food dr harper dog food ingredients in ivd venison and potato do response KO high protein dog food liver failure 2007 NEWEST CURES DOG DISEASE is diamond naturals a good dog food? high water content cat food Royal Canin Rabbit and Potato dog products cleen teeth dog diet high carb high protein pros con wallpaper paste gelatine porcine top 10 dry foods for cats holistic pet food mass. diamond dog food vs. nutro dog food dog digestion corn soy corn wheat free low protein dog food canine caviar distributor top ten best pets taurine for dogs eagle pack vs diamond naturals core dog food dog corn digestion eagle pack vs natural balance alfalfa orijen dog food for seniors Goldstein dog food formulas VETERINARIAN RECOMMENDATIONS ON GRAIN FR alfalfa dog food Orijen cat food corn for cats top best pets dogtorj diamond's natural dog food gastrointestinal diseases ibd cat food low filler high protein cat food cat kidney disease and protein holistic pet food seizures eagle pack vs natural balance antioxidants in dog food Wal-Mart holistic dog food antioxidents in dog food eggs as dog food ivd duck potato 2 RULES FOR CHOOSING FOODS core dog food duck and potato dog food vet's opinion wellness cat food

Favorite Sites</strongDog Blogs - My-Dog-Blog.com is an online dog lovers community where users can create their own FREE dog blog.

ITCHMO News Feed

Huckabee And Hunting Mascot Cat Retires From Patrolling Mountain Chat Noir for the New Year Dog Video: Lobo’s 13th Birthday Nutro Modifies Advertising Claims For Lite Pet Food Products Beaver Family Saved From Death Sentence Cat Picture: Teamwork A Dog Who Changed A Person Who Influenced The World Itchmo Reader Dog Picture Dog Saves Child From Cancer

Theme: Contempt by Vault9.Blog at WordPress.com.