Advertise | Contact Us | Live Help | Photo Reprints | RSS Feeds | Text Alerts

All Obituaries Recent News Cars Jobs Blogs Yellow Pages Local Search Photos

News | Living | Opinion | Business | Obituaries | Vital Statistics

Printer-friendly version

Digg this storyPost to del.icio.us

Reprints

Post a Comment

Is medicine safe on top of microwave?Published: December 25. 2007 6:00AM

Q My father keeps all his medicines on top of the microwave oven in the kitchen so he won't forget. My brother says the microwaves are ruining the medicine. Dad doesn't believe him.Are the medicines safe just sitting on top of it?A Although I cannot cite specific evidence that microwave could harm your father's medicine, prudence should dictate that his drugs be stored away from the microwaves.Perhaps he should keep his pills on the dining room table instead, or maybe he could develop an alternative technique to remember to take his meds, such as storing them on his dresser or nightstand.He should keep them away from extreme temperatures (both high and low) and moisture. Perhaps he could keep them in a cabinet and use notes on his bathroom mirror or microwave.Q I read the letter from the man who was leaking urine at night and having to get up about 10 times.My husband would have to get up about five times a night and was having trouble holding his urine during the day.We met a nurse who told us to go to the drug store and buy vitamin B-6 (200 milligrams only) and take one a day. We were skeptical but tried it anyway. We thought, "What the heck?"After about four weeks, there was a big improvement. My husband does not have to get up at night, and his daily trips to the bathroom are normal.This was about 10 years ago. He still takes the vitamin B-6, and we have noticed that that his PSA is lower and is now near normal.This is did not happen overnight; it was over a period of two or three months.A Urinary urgency and frequency are a common annoyance for many men. Men generally experience these symptoms as the result of benign, age-related prostate enlargement.The most successful treatment has been expensive prescription medications, so you can understand my enthusiasm when I received your letter about B-6.I'm printing it in hopes that it will improve the quality of life (and sleep patterns) of affected gentlemen and their spouses. Thank you.To my readers, please send in any experience you have had with urinary frequency and urgency and B-6 or other alternative treatments. I will do a follow-up column with the results, both pro and con.Write to Dr. Gott, c/o United Media, 200 Madison Ave., Fourth Floor, New York, NY 10016.

See this story as it was printed in Erie Times-News' electronic edition. Click here for a FREE trial.

This content provided by GoErie.com/Erie Times-News is copyrighted material and all rights are reserved. You may not reproduce this or distribute it electronically, in print or otherwise without written permission.

»

Wisdom of sending youth to adult court questioned in Erie

»

2 hunters rescued from French Creek

»

Tractor trailer leaves road, goes over embankment on I-79 near McKean

»

Man killed in crash cried out

»

Black man found guilty in death of white teen during racially charged encounter in NY

»

Suspect charged in Erie rape, but remains at large

»

Ashtabula man flown to Cleveland hospital after striking utility pole

» 9/11: Erie Remembers» Bayfront Convention Center» Big in '07» Wells Case» ErieCountyElections.com» Made in Mexico» Mortgage Fraud» Newsmaker: Q & A» No Child Left Behind» Our Troops @ War» Shifting Sands

Copyright © 2007 CyberInk LP 814/878-1967 and Erie Times-News 814/870-1600. All rights reserved Any copying, redistribution or retransmission of the contents of thisservice without the express written consent of CyberInk, LP is expressly prohibited. Read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use Statements.

Registration | Account Center | Contact Us | Weather Alerts | Subscriptions | Subscribe to The Erie Times-NewsE-mail Blasts | Daily e-Newsletter | Mobile Text Alerts | e-paper | Subscribe to the e-Paper