RemedySpot.com

HIV

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Thought this was interesting.

Circumcision reduces HIV risk By ZACHARY OCHIENG IN PERHAPS THE YEAR 2007’S MOST convincing results regarding HIV prevention, clinical trials in Uganda and Kenya — confirming an earlier trial from South Africa — showed that circumcision of adult men reduced their risk of acquiring HIV by about half over the subsequent two years. The findings are contained in a paper published in PLoS Medicine, an open access peer reviewed medical journal. However, even if this level of protection can be realised in the face of uncertain acceptance rates for circumcision and despite increased risk taking that may result from expectations of protection following circumcision, the risk reduction for a given male would still be no better than that afforded by condoms to those who will use them. In turn, the effectiveness of circumcision — hardly a recent surgical technique — invites comparison with state-of-the-art research in immunology and virology, which have yet to deliver anything close to a reliable 50 per cent reduction in risk of acquiring HIV through sexual exposure. Despite efforts of thousands of volunteers and expenditure of millions of dollars on clinical prevention trials ending in 2007, protection against sexual acquisition of HIV remains decidedly low-tech and frustratingly fixated on the phallus, say PLoS Medicine editors Virginia Barbour, Chinnock, Larry Peiperl, Emma Veitch and Gavin Yamey in the paper titled “HIV Treatment Proceeds as Prevention Research Confounds” on December 1, 2007 to coincide with World Aids Day celebrations. World Aids Day commemoration first took place in 1988 under the auspices of the Joint United Nations Programme on HIV and Aids (UNAids). At that time, few had recognised the epidemic’s impending global scope or envisaged how to provide Aids treatment in developing countries. During the previous year, the United States Food and Drug Administration had licensed zidovudine (AZT), the first drug shown to be effective for treating HIV. AZT, which quickly became available in North America and Europe, provided modest hope for the first time since the initial reports of Aids in 1981. Taken as a single drug every four hours round the clock, it could prolong life by half a year or more. TWENTY YEARS LATER, HIV TREATment has the potential to become one of medicine’s success stories. Combination anti-HIV therapies, referred to generically as highly active antiretroviral therapy, began to appear around 1996. Although costly and not without adverse effects, these “cocktails” have proved so effective that many who narrowly escaped death from Aids in the mid-1990s are now facing the usual health concerns of advancing age. Although emergence of drug-resistant virus creates ongoing challenges, HIV treatment has continued to advance, as evidenced by the development of more convenient treatment regimens, and by FDA approval in 2007 of drugs from two new mechanistic classes: the first integrase inhibitor and the first chemokine receptor blocker. On the global scale, 2007 has seen further progress in the impressive effort to address financial and logistical barriers to providing HIV treatment in low-resource settings. Although some 5 million people remain in need of ARVs, and a recent systematic review found that many who begin taking the drugs in developing countries do not continue treatment, the fact that more than two million people in low- and middle-income countries are now taking them indicates significant progress in the fight against the scourge. IN THIS CONTEXT OF GLOBAL progress toward HIV treatment, the official theme of World Aids Day 2007 appropriately called on “Leadership” to “Keep the Promise” of universal access to HIV care and services. Pounds of much-needed treatment, however, should not obscure the fact that precious ounces of prevention remain elusive: interrupting HIV transmission remains one of the world’s greatest scientific challenges. Indeed, in contrast to the progress made in treatment, World Aids Day 2007 marked the end of a particularly sobering year in HIV prevention science, particularly in the area of female-controlled methods, which have long been recognised as key to interrupting HIV transmission when social and economic disempowerment prevent women from insisting on condoms. January brought the announcement that two developing country trials of the vaginal microbicide cellulose sulfate had to be stopped because of an increased risk of HIV infection in women using the product. The result was disappointingly reminiscent of the nonoxynol-9 vaginal microbicide trial that ended with a similar outcome in 2000. Another setback to female-controlled prevention came in July with the report that providing latex diaphragms and gel together with male condoms to women in Southern Africa gave no additional protection against HIV compared with condoms alone. September brought more bad news: the early cessation of a major international HIV vaccine trial when interim analysis found that the vaccine, Merck’s trivalent adenovector product, appeared to be no better than a placebo in preventing HIV infection. In 2003, the first vaccine studies designed to assess protection against HIV in humans, using the VaxGen envelope products, were completed with no convincing evidence of efficacy. In the area of behavioural prevention, a 2007 systematic review of available reports found that abstinence-only programmes, incorporated into many US and developing country HIV programmes as a condition of US government funding, have been ineffective in reducing HIV risk in high-income countries. HOWEVER, A STUDY OF abstinence-plus programmes (which promote condom use as an alternative when abstinence fails) found the latter programmes to be more promising. In 2007, US-supported treatment programmes directly or indirectly provided ARVs to more than a million people in developing countries, and provided more general HIV care and prevention services to millions more. “To assure success in HIV prevention, it is time for leaders of the US effort to act on the scientific evidence and end political requirements for abstinence-only funding,” the authors say. IN TERMS OF SHORT-TERM BENefit, then, it could be argued that basic research funding should instead be redirected toward condom education programmes. “In the long term, however, more definitive prevention methods are desperately needed to bring the Aids crisis to an end, and we must not give up working toward a breakthrough in prevention comparable with the treatment advances of the past decade,” the authors say. New microbicides and vaccines are being developed and tested, trials of pre-exposure prophylaxis are underway, and more basic research into HIV epidemiology and pathogenesis continues to advance.

Talk to us

Back to top | Copyright © 2005, Nation Media Group Ltd. All rights reserved.HOME | NEWS | BUSINESS | OPINION | MAGAZINE

• 1 year later...

Hi Don,

the people I know bought it from SOTA, I did not personally use it, but it did NOT work. Except the silver, that does work.

Subject: miracle mineral supplement Re: HIVmiracle_mineral_ supplementDate: Tuesday, October 13, 2009, 10:35 PM

> Don ,Google HIV and virgin coconut oil. It seems some people were helped using vco.melly> >

Thanks that's good for me to know. Do you know anyone who is currently on MMS1+MMS2 for HIV?

From: < (DOT) com>Subject: [miracle_mineral_ supplement] Re: HIVmiracle_mineral_ supplementDate: Tuesday, October 13, 2009, 10:35 PM

> Don ,Google HIV and virgin coconut oil. It seems some people were helped using vco.melly> >

Hi Don,

read this http://jimhumble. biz/biz-hivandai ds.htm

Jim say's you only need MMS1 to have remissions in HiV, this webpage claims that you don't need MMS2 inless there are complications...

I personally think there are contradictions on the website, and in what he says. But I did rid myself of herpes in 2 weeks, so I am not complaining.

Regards S

From: < (DOT) com>Subject: [miracle_mineral_ supplement] Re: HIVmiracle_mineral_ supplementDate: Tuesday, October 13, 2009, 10:35 PM

> Don ,Google HIV and virgin coconut oil. It seems some people were helped using vco.melly>

>

I have been trying to clear up recurrent herpes 1 for a while with MMS1. You indicate you "rid" yourself of herpes...may I ask which one,what you did and how you have determined you are rid of it? I appreciate any details you are willing to share.

judi

From: Sent: Wed, October 14, 2009 1:37:19 PMSubject: Re: [ ] Re: HIV

Hi Don,

read this http://jimhumble. biz/biz-hivandai ds.htm

Jim say's you only need MMS1 to have remissions in HiV, this webpage claims that you don't need MMS2 inless there are complications. ...

I personally think there are contradictions on the website, and in what he says. But I did rid myself of herpes in 2 weeks, so I am not complaining.

Regards S

> Don ,Google HIV and virgin coconut oil. It seems some people were helped using vco.melly>

>