RemedySpot.com

shingles and chicken pox

Rate this topic

Guest guest

In a message dated 12/30/01 9:37:33 PM Pacific Standard Time, Babycolt98102690@... writes:

Bozena: I was just telling Bonnie about Jodi having Mono too. She also had chicken pox at the age of 2 and the shingles at 7.

Hope you had a merry Christmas.

Genny

I'm glad I didn't entirely depend on the two doctors who told me you couldn't get shingles if you had had chicken pox. When my husband had shingles, I was very cautious about direct contagion and afterward washed all linens repeatedly in hot water.

Harper

Harper,

I had chicken pox as a child and have had shingles twice since. Once 24

years ago when I was pregnant with my daughter and again about 3 years

latter. It was explained to me that if you have had chicken pox and come in

contact with the virus that causes chicken pox some people then develope

shingles.

I think it is odd that a lot of us have had both chicken pox and shingles and

now have AIH. I know various viruses and meds and stress trigger but it

seems to be that an unusual number of people have had both.

In a message dated 12/31/01 9:47:38 AM Pacific Standard Time, BonManPat@... writes:

Harper,

I had chicken pox as a baby and suffered from a severe case of shingles after I was diagnosed with AIH when I was in my late 30's.

Bonnie P. AIH and post transplant

Thanks to all of you on the shingles information. As I said -- I'm glad I didn't completely trust the information two top-level doctors (and web sites) gave me, saying that shingles couldn't follow chicken pox.

Harper

In a message dated 1/1/02 5:34:31 PM Pacific Standard Time, seafarer52@... writes:

Yes thank you. My family has been struck with shingles three times. My dad, sister and niece. Doctor didn't think I needed to worry too much about it, but I'm thinking differently now. Information was very informative. Thanks again.

Ann

Shingles can be terribly dangerous, even for people in good health.

I think I understand my situation now: as I understand it, I couldn't "catch" shingles from someone, but, having had chickenpox as a child, I could develop shingles from my existing chickenpox virus.

Joanna and others, thanks for coming up with all that excellent information.

Harper

In a message dated 1/1/02 5:48:05 PM Pacific Standard Time, tdcc2000@... writes:

Harper, your information is interesting to me. For those of us (and I am assuming many, if not most of us are on prednisone) I wonder why the inserts say to avoid being around those with active chicken pox .

Debby, bear in mind that this is what I think I've dug out of the information sent out today. I could be interpreting it incorrectly; I stated what I think is true hoping someone will clarify it for me if I'm wrong.

(Again, my interpretation of this material is that, having already had chickenpox, no one can give me shingles, but that I may develop it from my existing chickenpox virus, which will never go away. Also, that any of us who have not had chickenpox must be very careful to stay away from it -- and must stay away from shingles.)

Harper

Yes thank you. My family has been struck with shingles three times. My dad, sister and niece. Doctor didn't think I needed to worry too much about it, but I'm thinking differently now. Information was very informative. Thanks again. Ann [ ] shingles and chicken pox http://my.webmd.com/content/article/1680.50895 Shingles and Chicken Pox (Varicella-Zoster Virus)Did you all get this information? I get this email and it is very very interesting! debby

Ann, what is sad though, are doctors who we have seen here on this board who don't think there is anyway you can have shingles and chicken pox. I wouldn't be so concerned about their "ignorance", for all of us cannot know all things! But, it is when they doctors do not accept their lack of knowledge and cause harm. How wonderful it would be if the medical profession would just nod their heads and say, "Thank you for that information."

debby

[ ] shingles and chicken pox

http://my.webmd.com/content/article/1680.50895 Shingles and Chicken Pox (Varicella-Zoster Virus)Did you all get this information? I get this email and it is very very interesting! debby

Harper, your information is interesting to me. For those of us (and I am assuming many, if not most of us are on prednisone) I wonder why the inserts say to avoid being around those with active chicken pox . Since I teach first grade, I am TERRIBLY aware of my students. If I had just my own class during the day, it would not be so bad, but I have another 18 students who come to my room for reading classes too. So, I not only have to ward off my "own" class germs, but every 8-10 weeks, I must "develop" another resistance to new germs carried by new children. I must say, though, that I have remained healthy for the most part. Other than that short bought with the flu, I have done quite well. I think next year I won't get that flu shot!!!

debby

Re: [ ] shingles and chicken pox

In a message dated 1/1/02 5:34:31 PM Pacific Standard Time, seafarer52@... writes:

Yes thank you. My family has been struck with shingles three times. My dad, sister and niece. Doctor didn't think I needed to worry too much about it, but I'm thinking differently now. Information was very informative. Thanks again. Ann Shingles can be terribly dangerous, even for people in good health. I think I understand my situation now: as I understand it, I couldn't "catch" shingles from someone, but, having had chickenpox as a child, I could develop shingles from my existing chickenpox virus. Joanna and others, thanks for coming up with all that excellent information. Harper

THanks Harper. I understand now. I had the chicken pox as a child too. Several of my friends have had shingles at work, and I have been very fortunate so far! I pray that my luck continues.

debby

Re: [ ] shingles and chicken pox

In a message dated 1/1/02 5:48:05 PM Pacific Standard Time, tdcc2000@... writes:

Harper, your information is interesting to me. For those of us (and I am assuming many, if not most of us are on prednisone) I wonder why the inserts say to avoid being around those with active chicken pox . Debby, bear in mind that this is what I think I've dug out of the information sent out today. I could be interpreting it incorrectly; I stated what I think is true hoping someone will clarify it for me if I'm wrong. (Again, my interpretation of this material is that, having already had chickenpox, no one can give me shingles, but that I may develop it from my existing chickenpox virus, which will never go away. Also, that any of us who have not had chickenpox must be very careful to stay away from it -- and must stay away from shingles.) Harper

In a message dated 1/4/02 9:38:20 AM Pacific Standard Time, nneW5@... writes:

Harper,

I just had to add my 2 cents worth.... my son had a terrible case of

chicken pox when he was 4...wasn't one square inch of him that did not

have a pox...so you would think that would be a pretty good guarantee

of immunity against further infection. But no...when he was 6,,going

on 7 broke out in a strange rash..dermatologist said was shingles. Unusual but not unheard of in a child. His explanation was that the

chicken pox virus goes dormant after the initial infection..in most it

remains that way..but in some people it gets triggered and appears as

shingles. He told me that my son would not have another

outbreak...but at this point I have some doubt about that after

reading about other people having repeat episodes. And the really

ironic thing...son was diagnosed with autoimmune thyroiditis @ 11 yrs

of age. Just makes you wonder and does make you a tad leary of

accepting medical assurances.

nne

As I now understand it (I could be wrong again), having chickenpox doesn't provide immunity against shingles at all. It can set the stage for shingles later! The only "immunity" is against catching the chickenpox/shingles virus from someone else -- you already have it and therefore can't "catch" it. I can't remember the statistics on recurrence of a second case of shingles.

Harper

Harper,

I just had to add my 2 cents worth.... my son had a terrible case of

chicken pox when he was 4...wasn't one square inch of him that did not

have a pox...so you would think that would be a pretty good guarantee

of immunity against further infection. But no...when he was 6,,going

on 7 broke out in a strange rash..dermatologist said was shingles.

Unusual but not unheard of in a child. His explanation was that the

chicken pox virus goes dormant after the initial infection..in most it

remains that way..but in some people it gets triggered and appears as

shingles. He told me that my son would not have another

outbreak...but at this point I have some doubt about that after

reading about other people having repeat episodes. And the really

ironic thing...son was diagnosed with autoimmune thyroiditis @ 11 yrs

of age. Just makes you wonder and does make you a tad leary of

accepting medical assurances.

nne

> In a message dated 12/31/01 9:47:38 AM Pacific Standard Time,

> BonManPat@a... writes:

>

>

> > Harper,

> >

> > I had chicken pox as a baby and suffered from a severe case of

> > shingles after I was diagnosed with AIH when I was in my late 30's.

> >

> > Bonnie P.

> > AIH and post

> > transplant

>

> Thanks to all of you on the shingles information. As I said -- I'm

glad I

> didn't completely trust the information two top-level doctors (and

web sites)

> gave me, saying that shingles couldn't follow chicken pox.

> Harper

Wow...that is interesting! When my son was 3 months, he got the chicken pox. He was in a daycare where it was going around. He only had 5 pox....and I thought for sure that he would get them again. BUT, when our daughter got them3 years later, and there was not a spot left untouched on her-we had our son drink, eat, bathe with her! But, he never did get them again! Alas, we will never know if he will get shingles......sorry...just a weak moment. His anniversary date is coming up on the 19th, so please everyone, if my posts seem morbid or negative, please understand that I am trying to process through the day!

debby

[ ] Re: Shingles and chicken pox

Harper,I just had to add my 2 cents worth.... my son had a terrible case ofchicken pox when he was 4...wasn't one square inch of him that did nothave a pox...so you would think that would be a pretty good guaranteeof immunity against further infection. But no...when he was 6,,goingon 7 broke out in a strange rash..dermatologist said was shingles. Unusual but not unheard of in a child. His explanation was that thechicken pox virus goes dormant after the initial infection..in most itremains that way..but in some people it gets triggered and appears asshingles. He told me that my son would not have anotheroutbreak...but at this point I have some doubt about that afterreading about other people having repeat episodes. And the reallyironic thing...son was diagnosed with autoimmune thyroiditis @ 11 yrsof age. Just makes you wonder and does make you a tad leary ofaccepting medical assurances.nne> In a message dated 12/31/01 9:47:38 AM Pacific Standard Time, > BonManPat@a... writes:> > > > Harper, > > > > I had chicken pox as a baby and suffered from a severe case of > > shingles after I was diagnosed with AIH when I was in my late 30's. > > > > Bonnie P. > > AIH and post > > transplant> > Thanks to all of you on the shingles information. As I said -- I'mglad I > didn't completely trust the information two top-level doctors (andweb sites) > gave me, saying that shingles couldn't follow chicken pox.> Harper

Debby I'm so sorry for you loss. It doesn't matter how your posts are. We all care and think about everyone each day. You will be in my thoughts and prayers during the upcoming days. Take care and keep on posting. Sometimes venting or just talking helps. Ann [ ] Re: Shingles and chicken pox Harper,I just had to add my 2 cents worth.... my son had a terrible case ofchicken pox when he was 4...wasn't one square inch of him that did nothave a pox...so you would think that would be a pretty good guaranteeof immunity against further infection. But no...when he was 6,,goingon 7 broke out in a strange rash..dermatologist said was shingles. Unusual but not unheard of in a child. His explanation was that thechicken pox virus goes dormant after the initial infection..in most itremains that way..but in some people it gets triggered and appears asshingles. He told me that my son would not have anotheroutbreak...but at this point I have some doubt about that afterreading about other people having repeat episodes. And the reallyironic thing...son was diagnosed with autoimmune thyroiditis @ 11 yrsof age. Just makes you wonder and does make you a tad leary ofaccepting medical assurances.nne> In a message dated 12/31/01 9:47:38 AM Pacific Standard Time, > BonManPat@a... writes:> > > > Harper, > > > > I had chicken pox as a baby and suffered from a severe case of > > shingles after I was diagnosed with AIH when I was in my late 30's. > > > > Bonnie P. > > AIH and post > > transplant> > Thanks to all of you on the shingles information. As I said -- I'mglad I > didn't completely trust the information two top-level doctors (andweb sites) > gave me, saying that shingles couldn't follow chicken pox.> Harper

Ahhh thanks Ann....sometimes I just get too goofy and sad...but once the day is past, I will be better!

debby

Harper,I just had to add my 2 cents worth.... my son had a terrible case ofchicken pox when he was 4...wasn't one square inch of him that did nothave a pox...so you would think that would be a pretty good guaranteeof immunity against further infection. But no...when he was 6,,goingon 7 broke out in a strange rash..dermatologist said was shingles. Unusual but not unheard of in a child. His explanation was that thechicken pox virus goes dormant after the initial infection..in most itremains that way..but in some people it gets triggered and appears asshingles. He told me that my son would not have anotheroutbreak...but at this point I have some doubt about that afterreading about other people having repeat episodes. And the reallyironic thing...son was diagnosed with autoimmune thyroiditis @ 11 yrsof age. Just makes you wonder and does make you a tad leary ofaccepting medical assurances.nne> In a message dated 12/31/01 9:47:38 AM Pacific Standard Time, > BonManPat@a... writes:> > > > Harper, > > > > I had chicken pox as a baby and suffered from a severe case of > > shingles after I was diagnosed with AIH when I was in my late 30's. > > > > Bonnie P. > > AIH and post > > transplant> > Thanks to all of you on the shingles information. As I said -- I'mglad I > didn't completely trust the information two top-level doctors (andweb sites) > gave me, saying that shingles couldn't follow chicken pox.> Harper

Thanks Ann!

debby

Debby,

I have tried to read most of the emails that you all have sent regarding chicken pox and shingles. I am a nurse and see alot of cases of shingles. Both chicken pox and shingles are a type of herpes simplex virus. And yes after chicken pox it can lay dormant until much much later on in life. What causes them to develop into an outbreak of shingles can be many things but STRESS can definitely do it. Many of our elderly develop shingles later on in life. I have also had several patients have and outbreak of shingles with multiple reoccuring episodes after the initial one. Hope this helps.

AnnMN

Gee, Ann, thanks for the info! From hearing what others have had to deal with with shingles, I don't want to get that too!

debby

• 6 years later...
Guest guest

Hi everyone,

For those who are not aware, once you have had chicken pox, you will always

be susceptible to shingles. No chicken pox - no shingles. If you know any

child who has the chicken pox vaccine, you need to stay away from them for

at a minimum 4 weeks up to 6 weeks. This is because the vaccine is a live

attenuated virus and children can actually come out in some spots. As

chicken pox is spread by droplet infection before the spots come out, they

are infectious before and after.

I have a 22 month old grand daughter and my daughter has put off getting her

vaccinated until I go on holiday as she just lives around the road from us

and we see her nearly every day. This is one nasty little bug I want to

avoid like the plague, as I had chicken pox as a child and potentially could

reactivate the virus and get shingles.

I get a bit nervous but not paranoid as the office I work in also does

reception for our Maternal and Child Health service who are responsible for

amongst other things immunization of children and often have sick children

in and out.

Regards,

Dx 25/07/07

Glivec 400mg since 29/09/07

2.6 log reduction Jan 08

#1149 in Zavie's Zero Club

Guest guest

Hi ,

I was always under the impression that you can't " catch " shingles

from anyone....either from someone who has it or someone who has

chicken pox.

The reverse though is possible....someone who has never had chicken

pox can catch chicken pox from someone who has shingles.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/shingles/DS00098/DSECTION=4

Tracey

>

>

>

> Hi everyone,

>

>

>

> For those who are not aware, once you have had chicken pox, you

will always

> be susceptible to shingles. No chicken pox - no shingles. If you

know any

> child who has the chicken pox vaccine, you need to stay away from

them for

> at a minimum 4 weeks up to 6 weeks. This is because the vaccine is

a live

> attenuated virus and children can actually come out in some spots.

As

> chicken pox is spread by droplet infection before the spots come

out, they

> are infectious before and after.

>

>

>

> I have a 22 month old grand daughter and my daughter has put off

getting her

> vaccinated until I go on holiday as she just lives around the road

from us

> and we see her nearly every day. This is one nasty little bug I

want to

> avoid like the plague, as I had chicken pox as a child and

potentially could

> reactivate the virus and get shingles.

>

>

>

> I get a bit nervous but not paranoid as the office I work in also

does

> reception for our Maternal and Child Health service who are

responsible for

> amongst other things immunization of children and often have sick

children

> in and out.

>

>

>

> Regards,

>

>

>

>

>

> Dx 25/07/07

>

> Glivec 400mg since 29/09/07

>

> 2.6 log reduction Jan 08

>

> #1149 in Zavie's Zero Club

>

>

>

>

>

>

Guest guest

Tracey said:

I was always under the impression that you can't " catch " shingles

from anyone....either from someone who has it or someone who has

chicken pox.

Hi Tracey - of course you are right, but the problem is you need to avoid

the chicken pox virus (as much as you can), so that you then can't get

shingles later on. By being exposed to chicken pox, in the right

circumstances eg immune deficient, the virus can be reactivated in your body

causing shingles. Of course as adults, if we get any of the " childhood "

diseases such as chicken pox, mumps, measles etc, they are always tenfold

worse as a rule of thumb. Even though most of our community is immunised,

there are still conscientious objectors out there who will not allow their

children to be immunised.

I can speak from experience in my previous nursing career, I had quite a few

of my aged patients who every year would come down with a dose of shingles

from mild to severe to ones who even had the type that can cause blindness,

where it occurs on the side of the face. Often they would be treated for a

strained back, before the rash broke out. At least with the modern drugs the

pain can be treated more effectively and help to prevent further attacks.

Shingles can break out technically where ever there is a nerve supply as

they appear along the line of the nerve sheath. I actually had shingles

break out on my thumb! - only several spots, when I was nursing, it was

tingling and burning for a few days then suddenly broke out in some spots.

Just something we need to be aware of.

Regards,