RemedySpot.com

Vit D

Rate this topic

Guest guest

The Story on Vitamin DVicki Koenig, MS, RD, CDN While most of us know that vitamin D increases calcium absorption, research is progressively verifying more health benefits of this important vitamin. In September 2007, a large analysis was published with compiled results of 18 research studies conducted among 57,311 people. The results showed that those with normal levels of vitamin D had decreased risk of death from life-threatening diseases like cardiovascular disease, diabetes and cancer. So, vitamin D might actually help some live longer. Vitamin D is a key nutrient; especially for children, teenage girls, post-menopausal women, older men, and people of color. Obese people are also known to have lower levels vitamin D, as well as those who live in higher

latitudes with less exposure to the sun. Vitamin D’s Benefits Increases calcium absorption leading to decreased risk of osteoporosis Helps the immune and nervous systems defend the body from illness Promotes anti-cancer activity. May reduce 17 types of cancer. Suggested to decrease the incidence of Multiple Sclerosis (MS). There’s an increased rate of MS the higher the latitude. Helps maintain insulin levels in diabetics and prediabetics. Involved in blood pressure regulation; helpful for those with hypertension Associated with the increase and maintenance of muscle strength in the elderly Shown to reduce the risk of falls in the elderly May suppress gum inflammation decreasing gum disease and tooth loss. May improve rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis. How to get enough

vitamin DThe Daily Value (DV) for vitamin D is 400 IU per day. Scientists at the Vitamin D Council recommend raising this to at least 1000 mg per day for healthy people. The most common way to get vitamin D is with fortified foods like milk and yogurt. It’s also in some fish such as catfish, sockeye and pink salmon and shrimp. Get some sunshine! Vitamin D is produced naturally with exposure to the sun's ultraviolet rays. An adult can get 10-20,000 IU of vitamin D with 20 minutes of mid-day sun exposure. Unfortunately, many of us don’t have access to year-round sunshine. If you draw a line from San Francisco to Philadelphia, those who live above that line don’t produce vitamin D from the sun between October and May. They store what they make during the summer, but they’re deficient in the winter if they don’t supplement. Use vitamin D3

found in most supplements, not vitamin D2. It’s more potent. Check with a knowledgeable MD before you treat yourself with vitamin D. Can you get too much Vitamin D? You can’t overdose on vitamin D from the sun. You’ll store what you need and break down any extra. Sunscreen with as little as an 8 SPF (sun protection factor) blocks more than 95% of vitamin D production in the skin. Vitamin D toxicity from supplements is extremely rare, especially for Vitamin D3. The Upper Level of Toxicity (UL) is 2000 IU, but the scientific community supports raising this to 10,000 IU. Don’t take over 2000 IU without a doctor’s approval. Make sure you get enough vitamin D from all sources. Let the sunshine in! Fortify your diet with Stonyfield Farm yogurt and a supplement when necessary and you could experience the many benefits associated with optimal vitamin D intake. References Autier, P and Gandini, S: Vitamin D Supplementation and Total Mortality:Arch Intern Med. 2007;167:1709-1710, 1730-1737 Dietary Reference Intakes for Calcium, Phosphorus, Magnesium, Vitamin D and Fluoride Food and Nutrition Board. 1997 Vitamin D Insufficiency in North America: J. Nutr. 135:332-337, February 2005 Benefits and Requirements for Vitamin D: a Review. Alternative Medicine Review Volume 10 Number 2 2005. The Vitamin D Council is a concerned group of scientists who believe most humans are deficient in vitamin D Vieth, R, et al:Efficacy and safety of vitamin D3 intake exceeding the lowest observed adverse effect level American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, Vol. 73, No. 2, 288-294, February 2001 Zitterman, A: Vitamin D in preventive medicine: are we ignoring the evidence? Br J Nutr. 2003 May;89(5):552-72 Suzi List Owner health/ http://360./suziesgoats What is a weed? A plant whose virtues have not yet been discovered.

Never miss a thing. Make your homepage.

I take D3 and cal mag... (calcium /magnesium in liquid form) SuziSV <shavig@...> wrote: So what supplement do ya'll take? I was told to take a vitamin D supplement, but I had heard they could be toxic. According to this I should get one with d3. Any favorite/good brands to recommend? Shari

Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Search.

Brand?

S

Re: Vit D

I take D3 and cal mag... (calcium /magnesium in liquid form)

SuziSV <shavigverizon (DOT) net> wrote:

So what supplement do ya'll take? I was told to take a vitamin D supplement, but I had heard they could be toxic. According to this I should get one with d3. Any favorite/good brands to recommend?

Shari

Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Search.

It''s Puritan Pride... liquid cal mag... I've used it for a couple years now.. and it's helped my "bursitis" problems in my ankle and foot also. And my bone density test this year was good so ....... D3 is Nature Valley from the store.. When I had my bone density test they told me to add D3... DH picked up some for me.. otherwise I would have ordered it.. I forgot I also eat yogurt (Stoneyfield) SuziSV <shavig@...> wrote: Brand? S Re: Vit D I take D3 and cal mag... (calcium /magnesium in liquid form) SuziSV <shavigverizon (DOT) net> wrote: So what supplement do ya'll take? I was told to take a vitamin D

supplement, but I had heard they could be toxic. According to this I should get one with d3. Any favorite/good brands to recommend? Shari Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional Change settings via the Web ( ID required) Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured Visit Your Group | Terms of Use | Unsubscribe Suzi List Owner health/ http://360./suziesgoats What is a weed? A plant whose virtues have not yet been discovered.

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now.

Vitamin is best gotten from sunlight.

Even through clouds you will get some exposure. People who live in areas where

it is overcast most of the year might consider cod liver oil, which contains

Vitamins A and D. This is a fat soluble vitamin, which is why some people can

overdose on the oral supplementation. You can’t get too much from the

sun though because your skin stops synthesizing it when it has enough in store.

It is amazing how the body works with what is available. Puritan’s Pride

is a good resource and has great prices.

Janet

Sent: Saturday, January 05, 2008

6:11 PM

health

Subject: Re:

Vit D

" It''s Puritan Pride...

liquid cal mag... "

Thanks Suzanne - Shari

I agree Janet.. except in the winter when the sun doesn't shine much and too cold to stay out there... lol.. SuziJanet <dragonhealing@...> wrote: Vitamin is best gotten from sunlight. Even through clouds you will get some exposure. People who live in areas where it is overcast most of the year might consider cod liver oil, which contains Vitamins A and D. This is a fat soluble vitamin, which is why some people can overdose on the oral supplementation. You can’t get too much from the sun though because your skin stops synthesizing it when it has enough in store. It is amazing how the body works with what is available. Puritan’s Pride is a good resource and has great prices. Janet From: health [mailto:health ] On Behalf Of SVSent: Saturday, January 05, 2008 6:11 PMhealth Subject: Re: Vit D "It''s Puritan Pride... liquid cal mag... " Thanks Suzanne - Shari Suzi List Owner health/ http://360./suziesgoats What is a weed? A plant whose virtues have not yet been discovered.

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now.

Yup, and if that occurs over many months,

then supplementation is definitely a good option.

Janet

Sent: Tuesday, January 08, 2008

1:39 PM

health

Subject: RE:

Vit D

I agree Janet.. except in the winter when the sun doesn't shine much

and too cold to stay out there... lol..

Suzi

Janet <dragonhealingcomcast (DOT) net>

wrote:

Vitamin is best gotten from

sunlight. Even through clouds you will get some exposure. People

who live in areas where it is overcast most of the year might consider cod

liver oil, which contains Vitamins A and D. This is a fat soluble

vitamin, which is why some people can overdose on the oral

supplementation. You can’t get too much from the sun though because

your skin stops synthesizing it when it has enough in store. It is

amazing how the body works with what is available. Puritan’s Pride

is a good resource and has great prices.

Janet

[mailto:health ]

On Behalf Of SV

Sent: Saturday, January 05, 2008

6:11 PM

health

Subject: Re:

Vit D

" It''s Puritan Pride...

liquid cal mag... "

Thanks Suzanne - Shari

Suzi

List Owner

health/

http://360./suziesgoats

What is a weed? A plant whose virtues have not yet been

discovered.

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try

it now.

• 1 year later...
Guest guest

Missy -

That is interesting about the Vitamin D and the saturated fat thing. Not long

after one exposure I was craving red meat. And, for a long time (even now)

sometimes I eat red meat for breakfast. A hamburger or steak or steak tips. It

is the only thing that " gets me going " in the morning. When I looked at my

bloodwork about a year after my first exposure, I could see I was anemic and my

" craving " was my body's way of taking care of itself.

I do find, I get very tired if I am out in the sun. And, that never used to be.

I was a lifeguard (in my former life) so I was used to being outdoors. If I am

right next to the ocean, with the salt air, it is different and feel better.

I am using a lot of baking soda. It is almost as if the toxins create a

depletion in your sodium level. And, I have been using a lot of Sea Salt with

olive oil for cooking and for salads.

There is a lot of good stuff on the candida support page, as well.

Thanks for the Vitamin D info.

>

> Very interesting info on the Vit D scene. Per my ND, Vit D is an ANTIFUNGAL -

very important to have strong Vit D levels if you want to detox mold. She even

has told me to go to a tanning bed to up my Vit D in the winter! I know that

sounds crazy, but NDs training tells them that if you eat a high

Guest guest

FYI, A L Carnatine is what is in beef. Which help supplys energy to your

mitochondrial system. 250 gms AL Carnatine 3 times a day

K

ginloi <ginloi@...> wrote:

Missy -

That is interesting about the Vitamin D and the saturated fat thing. Not long

after one exposure I was craving red meat. And, for a long time (even now)

sometimes I eat red meat for breakfast. A hamburger or steak or steak tips. It

is the only thing that " gets me going " in the morning. When I looked at my

bloodwork about a year after my first exposure, I could see I was anemic and my

" craving " was my body's way of taking care of itself.

I do find, I get very tired if I am out in the sun. And, that never used to

be. I was a lifeguard (in my former life) so I was used to being outdoors. If I

am right next to the ocean, with the salt air, it is different and feel better.

I am using a lot of baking soda. It is almost as if the toxins create a

depletion in your sodium level. And, I have been using a lot of Sea Salt with

olive oil for cooking and for salads.

There is a lot of good stuff on the candida support page, as well.

Thanks for the Vitamin D info.

>

> Very interesting info on the Vit D scene. Per my ND, Vit D is an ANTIFUNGAL -

very important to have strong Vit D levels if you want to detox mold. She even

has told me to go to a tanning bed to up my Vit D in the winter! I know that

sounds crazy, but NDs training tells them that if you eat a high