Rate this topic

Guest guest

One of my ears has been ringing for several years and that started after I used

earplugs.

Since I have a balance issue as a result and have had a lot of nausea in the

past, my

hairdresser says I have Meniere's disease and that it is treatable and

completely curable. She

said that only one doctor in the area can treat it with something that he sticks

in the ear.

When I call his office I can get no information about this. The receptionist

serves a lot of

doctors and says she doesn't know. They want to run me through hearing tests

(did one a

year ago and my hearing was superb) and balance tests and the usual stuff. This

is

something I wish to avoid unless I must to get what I want.

Does anyone have any knowledge about this treatment? I've already tried ear

candling,

drops, etc. and am getting tired of ineffective experimenting.

Thanks from Sheryl

Does this sound like your problem?? The symptoms of Ménière’s disease are episodic rotational vertigo (attacks of a spinning sensation), hearing loss, tinnitus (a roaring, buzzing, or ringing sound in the ear), and a sensation of fullness in the affected ear. Tinnitus and fullness of the ear in Ménière’s disease may come and go with changes in hearing, occur during or just before attacks, or be constant. There may also be an intermittent hearing loss early in the disease, especially in the low pitches, but a fixed hearing loss involving tones of all pitches commonly develops in time. Loud sounds may be uncomfortable and seem distorted in the affected ear. From all the Ménière’s disease’s symptoms, vertigo is usually the most troublesome. It is commonly produced by disorders of the inner ear, but may also occur in central nervous system disorders. Vertigo may last for 20 minutes to two hours or longer. During attacks,

patients are usually unable to perform activities normal to their work or home life. Sleepiness may follow for several hours, and the off-balance sensation may last for days. The symptoms of Ménière’s disease may be only a minor nuisance, or can become disabling, especially if the attacks of vertigo are severe, frequent, and occur without warning. How Is A Diagnosis Made? The physician will take a history of the frequency, duration, severity, and character of your attacks, the duration of hearing loss or whether it has been changing, and whether you have had tinnitus or fullness in either or both ears. You may be asked whether there is history of syphilis,

mumps, or other serious infections in the past, inflammations of the eye, an autoimmune disorder or allergy, or ear surgery in the past. You may be asked questions about your general health, such as whether you have diabetes, high blood pressure, high blood cholesterol, thyroid, neurologic or emotional disorders. Tests may be ordered to look for these problems in certain cases. When the history has been completed, diagnostic tests will check your hearing and balance functions. They may include: For Hearing An audiometric examination (hearing test) typically indicates a sensory type of hearing loss in the affected ear. Speech discrimination (the patient’s ability to distinguish between words like “sit” and “fit”) is often diminished in the affected ear.skmackie <skmackie@...> wrote: One of my ears has been ringing for several years and that started after I used earplugs. Since I have a balance issue as a result and have had a lot of nausea in the past, my hairdresser says I have Meniere's disease and that it is treatable and completely curable. She said that only one doctor in the area can treat it with something that he sticks in the ear. When I call his office I can get no information about this. The receptionist serves a lot of doctors and says she doesn't know. They want to run me through hearing tests (did one a year ago and my hearing was superb) and balance tests and the usual stuff. This is something I wish to avoid unless I must to get what I want.Does anyone have any knowledge about this treatment? I've already tried ear candling, drops, etc. and am getting tired of ineffective experimenting.Thanks from Sheryl

Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Search.

Sheryl, I hesitate to advise you until you

have a workup and determine what the diagnosis truly is. It could be Meniere’s

disease and it could be positional vertigo. It could also be an infection or a

tumor. If you want to find out what it is, go ahead and do the tests. When we

have a clearer picture, then you will have lots of options on how to procede.

Janet

Sent: Wednesday, December 05, 2007

2:15 PM

health

Subject:

Meniere's

One of my ears has been ringing for several years and

that started after I used earplugs.

Since I have a balance issue as a result and have had a lot of nausea in the

past, my

hairdresser says I have Meniere's disease and that it is treatable and completely

curable. She

said that only one doctor in the area can treat it with something that he

sticks in the ear.

When I call his office I can get no information about this. The receptionist

serves a lot of

doctors and says she doesn't know. They want to run me through hearing tests

(did one a

year ago and my hearing was superb) and balance tests and the usual stuff. This

is

something I wish to avoid unless I must to get what I want.

Does anyone have any knowledge about this treatment? I've already tried ear

candling,

drops, etc. and am getting tired of ineffective experimenting.

Thanks from Sheryl