RemedySpot.com

Re: Coconut Carrot soup/COCO QUESTIONS

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Sounds very interseting....

Tell me, how does one go about seperating the coconut shell from the meat?

When the coconut meat is put into a blender, does it have a similar flavor

to canned coconut milk? And a similar creamy consitency?

And how can one tell which is a young, white coco?

Asking because there are cocos for sale in the supermarkets here, plus street vendors.

Thank you,

Sophia

Re: Coconut Carrot soup

Leave out the chicken stock, use FRESH coconut water and FRESH coconut meat (I'm talking the young, white cocos) and you'd have a really good raw soup.

Shari

The white coconuts are white on the outside and have a conical shape. Do a Google search and you will find a couple of different ways to open them. After I get the top off and drain (and save) the water inside, I just scoop out the meat with a spoon. It is very soft, much like a pudding consistency.

Don't know if the outcome is the same as canned as I don't do cans of anything and have never knowingly tasted coconut milk/cream/water from a can.

Shari

Thanks Shari,

I found a great website with pictures of what a young white

coconut looks like after it is removed from its hard green shell--

here I thought the shell was white too!

http://www.living-foods.com/articles/youngcoconuts.html

The article says, "The difficult task is finding young coconuts.

Most stores don't sell them, let alone even know what one is

when asking for them. When one finds coconuts on the ground

in Hawaii, they often are older coconuts with very little water

and a hard meat. Fortunately, we've found a great resource of

organic young coconuts.

When I went here, http://www.youngcoconuts.com/purchaseonline.html

they state they are no longer offering cocos online.

I'll check out the local Publix supermarkt.

Sophia

The white coconuts are white on the outside and have a conical shape. Do a Google search and you will find a couple of different ways to open them. After I get the top off and drain (and save) the water inside, I just scoop out the meat with a spoon. It is very soft, much like a pudding consistency.

Don't know if the outcome is the same as canned as I don't do cans of anything and have never knowingly tasted coconut milk/cream/water from a can.

Shari

Hi,

I'm confused about something. I always thought that this white, soft part of the coconut, was normal in all unripe coconuts.

Now you say that these are the white coconuts.

Does it mean that there are different kinds of coconuts?

I ate this white substance and it was very tasty.

Rena

Shari

There are Asian markets in N.Miami Bch & I will call about the coconuts,

but probably won't buy them if I have to take off the outer coating myself,

looks like too much hard work & time.....Thanks forthe Asian market tip!

Sophia

Sophia - I get very good young coconuts at my local Asian store. I buy them by the case. Generally 9 to a case for around $9.

Shari

No, you don't have to take off the outer husk. Just whack off the top and drink the water and use a spoon to scrape out the soft inner "meat".

Guess I just know what they taste like and enjoy them so very much that it doesn't seem like work.

Shari

Oh? OK! Thanks for that, sounds easy enough (for DH)

He thinks I eat wierd as it is.....

I'll give it a try, it would be a shame not to......coconuts are everywhere!

Sophia

No, you don't have to take off the outer husk. Just whack off the top and drink the water and use a spoon to scrape out the soft inner "meat".

Guess I just know what they taste like and enjoy them so very much that it doesn't seem like work.

Hey Shari,

Aren't you in Seattle area? If so, can you tell me which Asian market this is? Thanks, I want to use coconut water in my green smoothies!

Peace on earth.

Cheryl

Sophia - I get very good young coconuts at my local Asian store. I buy them by the case. Generally 9 to a case for around $9.

Shari

Cheryl - I live in Everett and it is Everett Oriental on Everett Mall Way. But these coconuts are readily available at Central Market in Shoreline and Mill Creek, Wa Hu (?) I think it is, in the International District. PCCs usually carry them as does Whole Paycheck, oops I mean Whole Foods. You won't find them organic and the Asian markets are usually cheaper than the more mainstream markets.

Shari