Rate this topic

Guest guest

Wow, this friend surely is in a battle.

Since the hospital is willing to incorporate alternative medicine,

what exactly does that mean Shari?

We know of many horror stories of people being in hospital, getting

infections, etc.

Then the antiobiotics is also tearing down her immune system. I

wonder if there is alternative they would consider giving her.

With her diabetes, has she ever wanted to change her diet? Can

she in fact have low blood sugar as I used to feel faint?

3rd hospital? Are they moving her around from one to another as no

one is able to help before?

Gosh, now she is unable to communicate too.

I'm speechless at this and will reply more if I can get a handle on

other suggestions.

Thanks Shari for posting. We can at least pray her through to great

health.

hugs,

carolg

--- In health , " SV " <shavig@...>

wrote:

>

> Infection Problems-Am writing to you guys to see what you

would do in this situation. This is a friend of ours and this is

her second major accident in less than 6 months. During the summer

she " fell asleep " at the wheel and crashed. They claim she had a

diabetic situation but while in the hospital they inserted a

pacemaker. This woman is not in good shape, but her partner found

out the hospital where she is now is willing to incorporate

alternative medicine. What are your thoughts?.............Thanks,

Shari (I've removed her name so that's why you see dots and a lot

of " she's " .)

> " ...... is kept totally sedated due to her infections and the

tracheotomy weaning process. Also due to this sedated condition and

the trach tube, she is unable to communicate in any way. I don't

have much knowledge in this type of care and am very concerned with

these infections and possibility of bed sores. They ran x-rays last

week and told us she has a minimum of 7 more weeks for no weight

bearing, just slight adjustments to her position in a bed. In 7

weeks they will run another set of X-rays and hopefully her bones

would have mended enough that she can have physical therapy to learn

to walk again.

>

> Here is more info on her condition in case it helps you ......

>

> a.. 57 years old with Diabetes (they've had problems keeping it

below 220)

> b.. Auto accident on Nov 13th. This is her 3rd hospital.

> c.. Harbor View (extreme trauma hospital in Seattle) surgeries

include:

> d.. Cracked pelvis - two large screws holding her frame together

w/16 weeks no weight bearing

> e.. Broken ankle w/screws and metal plate

> f.. Broken ribs - left to heal on their own

> g.. Punctured lung - Left to heal on its own.

> h.. She was not breathing well enough on her own so they gave

her a tracheotomy

> i.. Liquid Nutrition is given by a tube directly into her

stomach

> j.. This hospital specializes in respiratory care and they have

been weaning her off of the ventilator.

> k.. Every few days, she gets a 102+ fever so they have to stop

the weaning process. They know she's getting infections but can not

determine where or why.

> l.. They keep giving her a variety of antibiotics.

>

Well, uncontrolled diabetes will catch up

to you eventually. My thoughts are she is battling normal infections internally

from the punctured lung and deep bone fractures. The constant barrage of high

blood sugar over time has depleted her body’s ability to fight this. I

doubt they would be willing, but my only thought would be to add some ground up

astragalus to her tube feedings. If she does manage to fight these infections

off and recover, she will still need to get control of the diabetes. Which

means a strict diet and exercise if she is Type II or a serious over-hall of

her insulin intake vs. food intake by a good internal medicine doc. All my

hopes that she does recover.

Janet

Sent: Saturday, January 26, 2008

8:41 AM

health

Subject:

Infection Problems

Importance: High

Am writing to you guys

to see what you would do in this situation. This is a friend of ours and

this is her second major accident in less than 6 months. During the

summer she " fell asleep " at the wheel and crashed. They claim she

had a diabetic situation but while in the hospital they inserted a

pacemaker. This woman is not in good shape, but her partner found out the

hospital where she is now is willing to incorporate alternative medicine.

What are your thoughts?.............Thanks, Shari

(I've removed her name so that's why you see dots and a lot of

" she's " .)

" ...... is

kept totally sedated due to her infections and the tracheotomy weaning

process. Also due to this sedated condition and the trach tube, she is

unable to communicate in any way. I don't have much knowledge in this

type of care and am very concerned with these infections and possibility of bed

sores. They ran x-rays last week and told us she has a minimum of 7 more

weeks for no weight bearing, just slight adjustments to her position in a

bed. In 7 weeks they will run another set of X-rays and hopefully her

bones would have mended enough that she can have physical therapy to learn to

walk again.

Here

is more info on her condition in case it helps you ......

57 years old with Diabetes (they've had problems

keeping it below 220)

Auto accident on Nov 13th. This is her 3rd

hospital.

Harbor View (extreme trauma hospital in Seattle) surgeries

include:

Cracked pelvis - two large screws holding her

frame together w/16 weeks no weight bearing

Broken ankle w/screws and metal plate

Broken ribs - left to heal on their own

Punctured lung - Left to heal on its own.

She was not breathing well enough on her own so

they gave her a tracheotomy

Liquid Nutrition is given by a tube directly into

her stomach

This hospital specializes in respiratory care

and they have been weaning her off of the ventilator.

Every few days, she gets a 102+ fever so

they have to stop the weaning process. They know she's getting

infections but can not determine where or why.

They keep giving her a variety of antibiotics.

Astralagus is a good idea. Kombucha would help her overall too.

Gayla Always Enough RanchAcampo, Californiahttp://bouncinghoofs.com/alwaysenough.htmlaeranch@...

RE: Infection Problems

Well, uncontrolled diabetes will catch up to you eventually. My thoughts are she is battling normal infections internally from the punctured lung and deep bone fractures. The constant barrage of high blood sugar over time has depleted her body’s ability to fight this. I doubt they would be willing, but my only thought would be to add some ground up astragalus to her tube feedings. If she does manage to fight these infections off and recover, she will still need to get control of the diabetes. Which means a strict diet and exercise if she is Type II or a serious over-hall of her insulin intake vs. food intake by a good internal medicine doc. All my hopes that she does recover.

Janet

From: health [mailto:health ] On Behalf Of SVSent: Saturday, January 26, 2008 8:41 AMhealth Subject: Infection ProblemsImportance: High

Am writing to you guys to see what you would do in this situation. This is a friend of ours and this is her second major accident in less than 6 months. During the summer she "fell asleep" at the wheel and crashed. They claim she had a diabetic situation but while in the hospital they inserted a pacemaker. This woman is not in good shape, but her partner found out the hospital where she is now is willing to incorporate alternative medicine. What are your thoughts?.............Thanks, Shari (I've removed her name so that's why you see dots and a lot of "she's".)

"...... is kept totally sedated due to her infections and the tracheotomy weaning process. Also due to this sedated condition and the trach tube, she is unable to communicate in any way. I don't have much knowledge in this type of care and am very concerned with these infections and possibility of bed sores. They ran x-rays last week and told us she has a minimum of 7 more weeks for no weight bearing, just slight adjustments to her position in a bed. In 7 weeks they will run another set of X-rays and hopefully her bones would have mended enough that she can have physical therapy to learn to walk again.

Here is more info on her condition in case it helps you ......

57 years old with Diabetes (they've had problems keeping it below 220)

Auto accident on Nov 13th. This is her 3rd hospital.

Harbor View (extreme trauma hospital in Seattle) surgeries include:

Cracked pelvis - two large screws holding her frame together w/16 weeks no weight bearing

Broken ankle w/screws and metal plate

Broken ribs - left to heal on their own

Punctured lung - Left to heal on its own.

She was not breathing well enough on her own so they gave her a tracheotomy

Liquid Nutrition is given by a tube directly into her stomach

This hospital specializes in respiratory care and they have been weaning her off of the ventilator.

Every few days, she gets a 102+ fever so they have to stop the weaning process. They know she's getting infections but can not determine where or why.

They keep giving her a variety of antibiotics.

Wow. It's hard to believe one person can have so much wrong. Did she try to get healthier before it got this bad? with her diabetes? Is she willing to change her eating habits if and once she comes thru all this? Comfrey in an oil or salve form would help speed the bone mending. If she can be touched,,, in an oil form you could possible spray on. Complete nutrition, green juices could be put thru the feeding tube? Complete tonic or echinacea, astralagus thru tube for immune system. Thyme is also a good booster and is supposed to help strengthen the lungs. SuziSV <shavig@...> wrote: "...... is kept totally sedated due to her infections and the tracheotomy weaning process. Also due to this sedated

condition and the trach tube, she is unable to communicate in any way. I don't have much knowledge in this type of care and am very concerned with these infections and possibility of bed sores. They ran x-rays last week and told us she has a minimum of 7 more weeks for no weight bearing, just slight adjustments to her position in a bed. In 7 weeks they will run another set of X-rays and hopefully her bones would have mended enough that she can have physical therapy to learn to walk again. Here is more info on her condition in case it helps you ...... 57 years old with Diabetes (they've had problems keeping it below 220) Auto accident on Nov 13th. This is her 3rd hospital. Harbor View (extreme trauma hospital in Seattle) surgeries include: Cracked

pelvis - two large screws holding her frame together w/16 weeks no weight bearing Broken ankle w/screws and metal plate Broken ribs - left to heal on their own Punctured lung - Left to heal on its own. She was not breathing well enough on her own so they gave her a tracheotomy Liquid Nutrition is given by a tube directly into her stomach This hospital specializes in respiratory care and they have been weaning her off of the ventilator. Every few days, she gets a 102+ fever so they have to stop the weaning process. They know she's getting infections but can not determine where or why. They keep giving her a variety of antibiotics.

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now.

Carol - if you re-read you will see where she is unconcious. She has NO communication with anyone. It's her third hospital because the accident happened in a rural area and she was treated at a very small country hospital first, moved to the trauma hospital (Harborview) and now in a rehab center trying to wean her off the trach.

I'm pretty sure she has diabetes and as far as getting dizzy, how can you tell when you're unconscious and in a prone position since before Thanksgiving?

Alternative means they will give her supplements if you provide them. Olin suggested probiotics instead of antibiotics and Jerrod suggested massage to move her lymph system. It was also suggested to give her BarleyMax and I'm thinking enzymes as well.

The sad thing is that I met with a mutual friend yesterday and there is rumor that she was trying to kill herself. I'm thinking if that is true, her mind already has the message she wants to die and nothing we do will bring her back. Even though she has no concious thought at this point, her subconscious is remembering the depression she was in prior to the accident. My thoughts on this anyway.

Shari

Thanks Suzanne. I'll pass this to her partner.

People keep asking me if she's willing to do this or that, she is unconscious! She has been since the day of the accident. She doesn't even know we had Thanksgiving and Christmas let alone it's 2008. She has NO say in her care. Her partner is ready, willing, and able to make changes for her. I am just gathering information as to what you would do with a loved one in this state. Everything you relate is passed to the caregiver. The rehab center is willing to put whatever they want (within reason, I'm sure) into the feeding tube.

Jane Doe (girl in the bed) has had a horrific life and many trials this past year. Her partner is unwilling to accept the fact that Jane is/was depressed and may have tried to cause herself harm. And she has never been willing to address her diabetes or her heart condition (pacemaker) so I don't know why she would be any more willing this time unless it is through fear. She crashed her car last spring or summer because of her heart condition and diabetes and did nothing to change then, so why now?

Shari

now I understand better... I know she is unconcious now but was wondering if before she wanted to change.. sounds like she has made up her mind to die... one way or another.. and that her partner needs to maybe not accept this but realize that this may well be the reality. My thoughts and prayers are with you and them. SuziSV <shavig@...> wrote: Thanks Suzanne. I'll pass this to her partner. People keep asking me if she's willing to do this or that, she is unconscious! She has been since the day of the accident. She doesn't even know we had Thanksgiving and Christmas let alone it's 2008. She has NO say in her

care. Her partner is ready, willing, and able to make changes for her. I am just gathering information as to what you would do with a loved one in this state. Everything you relate is passed to the caregiver. The rehab center is willing to put whatever they want (within reason, I'm sure) into the feeding tube. Jane Doe (girl in the bed) has had a horrific life and many trials this past year. Her partner is unwilling to accept the fact that Jane is/was depressed and may have tried to cause herself harm. And she has never been willing to address her diabetes or her heart condition (pacemaker) so I don't know why she would be any more willing this time unless it is through fear. She crashed her car last spring or summer because of her heart condition and diabetes and did nothing to change then, so why now? Suzi List Owner health/ http://360./suziesgoats What is a weed? A plant whose virtues have not yet been discovered.

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now.