RemedySpot.com

Re: Wild rice

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Wild rice, contrary to the name, is not actually a member of the rice family, although it is a grain producing grass. Wild rice is native to North America and can still be found growing wild in the ponds and lakes of Wisconsin, as well as in neighboring states. Like rice, wild rice grows in water, although wild rice tends to require much deeper water resources. The two grains also have taste similarities, both tasting much more nutty with the outer husk left on. The similarities between the two grains end here, however. Wild rice, unlike conventional rice, has not been domesticated for commercial cultivation. Wild rice must still be painstakingly harvested from boats in the open water, using beating sticks to knock the mature grains into holding containers. Wild rice, like most grains in their natural state, matures at

different times to ensure the widest spread of seeds and the least probability of damage and seed loss. As a result, fully mature grains can shatter and be lost at the bottom of the lake while other seeds are still developing. Wild rice is notoriously difficult, if not impossible, to harvest commercially, because the stalks are so delicate that motorized boats and harvesting equipment cannot be used. The root system of the grass is fragile and easy to dislodge, which causes the stalks to float to the bottom, rendering the seeds inaccessible to harvesters. Harvesting wild rice requires patience and handwork, which do not lend themselves to large scale commercial production. As a result of the difficult harvest process, wild rice is

expensive and often difficult to obtain. Wild rice is also an extremely delicate grass that is quite sensitive to changes in environment. With the widespread use of dams in the United States, many areas formerly rich in wild rice have not been able to sustain their former populations of the tasty and nutritious grain. Not only is this a pity for consumers who enjoy the crop, but many native peoples hold the grain in high esteem. Like other grains, wild rice must be winnowed to separate the chaff from the grain. It is harvested green, and after being separated, it is set out to

dry on trays that can be frequently tossed to prevent rot and fungus. Finally, it is threshed to remove the inedible outer hull. It can also be further beaten to remove the black outer husk and produce a white version, although wild rice is usually sold whole, like brown rice. Wild rice has a long cooking time, and it is recommended that it be soaked for four to six hours before cooking. Wild rice is a delicious delicacy, well worth using in a variety of recipes or eating on its own lightly sprinkled with oil. While it will never achieve the commercial success of many easy to grow and harvest grains, it enjoys a highly favorable niche market of aficionados, who appreciate the grain for its delicacy and superb flavor.Blua Birdo <bluabirdo@...>

wrote: Hello,Does anyone know anything about wild rice, please?I found some info in the internet, but I still have questions:Is it a real grain such as rice or wheat?Does it have a high content of starch?Regards,Rena

Guest guest

I went to Minnesota a couple of years ago and ran across a road side

stand where the Native Indian farmers were selling wild rice they

harvested from lakes around the area. I bought quite a lot and just

ran out not long ago - I'll be making a trip back and hope to find the

same roadside stand or one like it. That Minnesota " wild

rice " is some of the best food on the planet :-)

At 03:06 PM 3/6/2008, you wrote:

Wild rice, contrary to the name,

is not actually a member of the rice family, although it is a

grain producing grass. Wild rice is native to North America and

can still be found growing wild in the ponds and lakes of Wisconsin, as

well as in neighboring states. Like rice, wild rice grows in water,

although wild rice tends to require much deeper water resources. The two

grains also have taste similarities, both tasting much more nutty with

the outer husk left on. The similarities between the two grains end here,

however.

Wild rice, unlike conventional rice, has not been domesticated for

commercial cultivation. Wild rice must still be painstakingly harvested

from boats in the open water, using beating sticks to knock the mature

grains into holding containers. Wild rice, like most grains in their

natural state, matures at different times to ensure the widest spread of

seeds and the least probability of damage and seed loss. As a result,

fully mature grains can shatter and be lost at the bottom of the lake

while other seeds are still developing.

Wild rice is notoriously difficult, if not impossible, to harvest

commercially, because the stalks are so delicate that motorized boats and

harvesting equipment cannot be used. The root system of the grass is

fragile and easy to dislodge, which causes the stalks to float to the

bottom, rendering the seeds inaccessible to harvesters. Harvesting wild

rice requires patience and handwork, which do not lend themselves to

large scale commercial production.

As a result of the difficult harvest process, wild rice is expensive and

often difficult to obtain. Wild rice is also an extremely delicate grass

that is quite sensitive to changes in environment. With the widespread

use of dams in the United States, many areas formerly rich in wild rice

have not been able to sustain their former populations of the

tasty and

nutritious grain. Not only is this a pity for consumers who enjoy the

crop, but many native peoples hold the grain in high esteem.

Like other grains, wild rice must be winnowed to separate the chaff from

the grain. It is harvested green, and after being separated, it is set

out to dry on trays that can be frequently tossed to prevent rot and

fungus. Finally, it is threshed to remove the inedible outer hull. It can

also be further beaten to remove the black outer husk and produce a white

version, although wild rice is usually sold whole, like

brown rice. Wild

rice has a long

cooking

time, and it is recommended that it be soaked for four to six hours

before cooking.

Wild rice is a delicious delicacy, well worth using in a variety of

recipes or

eating on its own lightly sprinkled with oil. While it will never achieve

the commercial success of many easy to grow and harvest grains, it enjoys

a highly favorable niche market of aficionados, who appreciate the grain

for its delicacy and superb

flavor

Guest guest

Thanks for the info about wild rice.

As I eliminated all grains from my diet with such a good result in reference to the ovarian cyst I have, and as I miss to have some whole grain, I wanted to know if wild rice was a real grain or not.

Now I know it is.

Rena

Re: Wild rice

Wild rice, contrary to the name, is not actually a member of the rice family, although it is a grain producing grass. Wild rice is native to North America and can still be found growing wild in the ponds and lakes of Wisconsin, as well as in neighboring states. Like rice, wild rice grows in water, although wild rice tends to require much deeper water resources. The two grains also have taste similarities, both tasting much more nutty with the outer husk left on. The similarities between the two grains end here, however.

Wild rice, unlike conventional rice, has not been domesticated for commercial cultivation. Wild rice must still be painstakingly harvested from boats in the open water, using beating sticks to knock the mature grains into holding containers. Wild rice, like most grains in their natural state, matures at different times to ensure the widest spread of seeds and the least probability of damage and seed loss. As a result, fully mature grains can shatter and be lost at the bottom of the lake while other seeds are still developing.

Wild rice is notoriously difficult, if not impossible, to harvest commercially, because the stalks are so delicate that motorized boats and harvesting equipment cannot be used. The root system of the grass is fragile and easy to dislodge, which causes the stalks to float to the bottom, rendering the seeds inaccessible to harvesters. Harvesting wild rice requires patience and handwork, which do not lend themselves to large scale commercial production.

As a result of the difficult harvest process, wild rice is expensive and often difficult to obtain. Wild rice is also an extremely delicate grass that is quite sensitive to changes in environment. With the widespread use of dams in the United States, many areas formerly rich in wild rice have not been able to sustain their former populations of the tasty and nutritious grain. Not only is this a pity for consumers who enjoy the crop, but many native peoples hold the grain in high esteem.

Like other grains, wild rice must be winnowed to separate the chaff from the grain. It is harvested green, and after being separated, it is set out to dry on trays that can be frequently tossed to prevent rot and fungus. Finally, it is threshed to remove the inedible outer hull. It can also be further beaten to remove the black outer husk and produce a white version, although wild rice is usually sold whole, like brown rice. Wild rice has a long cooking time, and it is recommended that it be soaked for four to six hours before cooking.

Wild rice is a delicious delicacy, well worth using in a variety of recipes or eating on its own lightly sprinkled with oil. While it will never achieve the commercial success of many easy to grow and harvest grains, it enjoys a highly favorable niche market of aficionados, who appreciate the grain for its delicacy and superb flavor.Blua Birdo <bluabirdohotmail> wrote:

Hello,Does anyone know anything about wild rice, please?I found some info in the internet, but I still have questions:Is it a real grain such as rice or wheat?Does it have a high content of starch?Regards,Rena

Guest guest

I have two containers of pre-cooked brown rice from WHOLEFOODS, I

have no idea what it tastes like, that is why I haven't tried it yet,

do I need something to flavor it?

> Hello,

>

> Does anyone know anything about wild rice, please?

> I found some info in the internet, but I still have questions:

> Is it a real grain such as rice or wheat?

> Does it have a high content of starch?

>

> Regards,

>

> Rena

>

>

>