Burdock

Rate this topic

Guest guest

haecklers@... writes:

>

> I just decided to make use of all the burdock that volunteered in my

> garden this year. Dug up a bunch of it and was looking online to see

> what to do with it. Found out you can roast it and dry it and it makes

> a good coffee substitute! Does anybody know how exactly to do this??

> Do I peel it or not? Roast it now or dry it first?>>

How bout drying it and trying to make a flour substitute with it? Can you

make any sort of bread goods with it, have to mix some regular wheat flour with

it maybe?

</HTML>

• 4 months later...
Guest guest

In traditional herbal texts, burdock root is described as a “blood purifier” or “alterative.” Burdock root was believed to clear the bloodstream of toxins. It was used both internally and externally for eczema and psoriasis as well as to treat painful joints and as a diuretic. In traditional Chinese medicine, burdock root in combination with other herbs is used to treat sore throats, tonsillitis, colds, and even measles. It is eaten as a vegetable in Japan and elsewhere. Burdock root has recently become popular as part of a tea to treat cancer. To date, only minimal research has substantiated this application. Active constituents: Burdock root contains high amounts of inulin and mucilage. This may explain its soothing effects on the gastrointestinal tract.

Bitter constituents in the root may also explain the traditional use of burdock to improve digestion. It also contains polyacetylenes that have been shown to have antimicrobial activity. Burdock root and fruit also have the ability to mildly lower blood sugar (hypoglycemic effect). Even though test-tube and animal studies have indicated some antitumor activity for burdock root, these results have not been duplicated in human studies Traditional herbalists recommend 2-4 ml of burdock root tincture per day. For the dried root preparation in capsule form, the common amount to take is 1-2 grams three times per day. Many herbal preparations will combine burdock root with other alterative herbs, such as yellow dock, red clover, or dandelion. Are there any side effects or interactions? Use of burdock root at the dosages listed above is generally safe. However, burdock root in large quantities may stimulate the uterus and therefore should be used with caution during pregnancy Suzi List Owner health/ http://360./suziesgoats What is a weed? A plant whose virtues have not yet been discovered.

You rock. That's why Blockbuster's offering you one month of Blockbuster Total Access, No Cost.

• 2 years later...

Clever girl! Burdock makes an amazing homemade soda! I grew up in England, and

" Dandelion and Burdock " was our soda of choice. I gave up commercial soda years

ago, but still make homemade burdock (now with ginger instead of dandelion) soda

in the summer. Summer is the only time I drink any soda. I grow a small

container of burdock every summer just for that purpose. I personally don't

bother with the leaves, just the root. The scraps go in my compost tea.

>

> So my big furry dog came in just a few minutes ago, wearing a lot of burdocks.

As I pulled them off her fur (much easier than finding them later buried in her

fur!) I thought to myself ...

>

> plant them!

>

> I thought it was just the root, but apparently (just done googling), the

leaves and stems are edible too. :)

>

> Deb

>

So now I gotta ask ... how do you make homemade soda? Burdock soda. Wow.

Deb

From: <berrywell@...>Subject: Re: Burdock Date: Monday, February 21, 2011, 2:12 PM

Clever girl! Burdock makes an amazing homemade soda! I grew up in England, and "Dandelion and Burdock" was our soda of choice. I gave up commercial soda years ago, but still make homemade burdock (now with ginger instead of dandelion) soda in the summer. Summer is the only time I drink any soda. I grow a small container of burdock every summer just for that purpose. I personally don't bother with the leaves, just the root. The scraps go in my compost tea.>> So my big furry dog came in just a few minutes ago, wearing a lot of burdocks. As I pulled them off her fur (much easier than finding them later buried in her fur!) I thought to myself ...> >

plant them!> > I thought it was just the root, but apparently (just done googling), the leaves and stems are edible too. :)>