RemedySpot.com

Re: Question about OT

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Find out of OT and speech evals are part of the evaluation at the autism center and, if so, do they have therapists who are convenient for you to get to that will accept those evaluations for treatment. If it does not and you want private therapy outside the school system, then you will more than likely have to pursue an independent evaluation, as most therapists/therapy facilities do not accept the school's evaluations to base their private treatment on. If you pursue outside evaluations for OT/ST/PT, have your pediatrician write a prescription for each discipline for "evaluate and treat" and list your child's current diagnosis(es) on the prescription. If you are pursuing an OT evaluation because your child has low tone, poor motor skills, etc., ask your pediatrician to use those diagnoses or whatever he/she feels is appropriate, as those are what you are wanting treatment for at this point. The therapist will do the evaluation and determine what the focus needs to be on once the evaluation is complete, but you will have a much easier time, in most cases, having your insurance (if you have private insurance) pay for a diagnosis other than autism/PDD. The same goes for speech therapy. Also, check your insurance for their coverage limitations/exclusions for developmental delay, as a lot of times the speech therapist will give a diagnosis that falls under those ICD9 codes, i.e., the 315s, after they do their evaluation. My insurance covered developmental delay codes up until my son turned 5. After that, we had to jump through hoops to get it paid until I got advice to discuss with the therapist if he fit the diagnosis of aphasia, which my insurance does cover.

Also, keep in mind when deciding whether to have an independent evaluation and private therapy, that the therapy your child receives at school is geared to help him function in the school setting, not the home/outside world as such, and a lot of times is only provided in small group setting, not individually, due to the high demand and lack of therapists.

I apologize if I sound pessimistic, but I know my child has gotten so much more out of his private therapy than he has out of his school-based therapy, as the transition to and from therapy take up part of the time allotted, so that 30 minutes of therapy in reality is usually only about 20 minutes :( Beasley Home Interiors & Gifts 770-603-0325 www.homeinteriors.com Home Interiors also offers fundraising with a 50% profit for the group holding the fundraiser. For more information, see fundraising on the website or contact me at (770) 603-0325 for a fundraising package.

From: <jenniferdoxakis@...>Reply-autism To: autism , GA-ChildrensNetwork Subject: Question about OTDate: Fri, 18 May 2007 15:09:09 -0700 (PDT)

The school is going to do a OT evaluation for my son. Should I also have the ped give a referral for one outside the school system? I had called and left a message for her a few days ago about the referral before I had the IEP meeting. Can I do both or is the schools evaluation enough?

www.ourchurch.com/member/b/amyangel/

Pinpoint customers who are looking for what you sell.

Like the way Microsoft Office Outlook works? You’ll love Windows Live Hotmail.

Guest guest

If you disaggree with the school evaluation you have the right to request in writing that an independent evaluation be done at school expense; they have a certain time frame of days in which they have to respond to your request. Marilyn Pyles <jenniferdoxakis@...> wrote: The school is going to do a OT evaluation for my son. Should I also have the ped give a referral for one outside the school system? I had called and left a message for her a

few days ago about the referral before I had the IEP meeting. Can I do both or is the schools evaluation enough? www.ourchurch.com/member/b/amyangel/ Pinpoint customers who are looking for what you sell.

Get your own web address. Have a HUGE year through Small Business.

Guest guest

This is what the parental rights, revised October 2006, say regarding independent evaluation. It is taken directly from the www.doe.k12.ga.us website under exceptional students. Link to parenteral rights document is at bottom right corner of the screen.

INDEPENDENT EDUCATIONAL EVALUATION:

Independent educational evaluation means an evaluation conducted by a qualified examiner who is not employed by the school district responsible for the education of your child.

Public expense means that the school district either pays for the full cost of the evaluation or ensures that the evaluation is otherwise provided at no cost to you, consistent with the provisions of Part B of the IDEA, which allow each State to use whatever State, local, Federal and private sources of support are available in the State to meet the requirements of Part B of the Act.

If you request an independent educational evaluation of your child at public expense, your school district must, without unnecessary delay, either: (a) File a due process complaint to request a hearing to show that its evaluation of your child is appropriate; or (B) Provide an independent educational evaluation at public expense, unless the school district demonstrates in a hearing that the evaluation of your child that you obtained did not meet the school district’s criteria.

1. If your school district requests a hearing and the final decision is that your school district’s evaluation of your child is appropriate, you still have the right to an independent educational evaluation, but not at public expense.

2. If you request an independent educational evaluation of your child, the school district may ask why you object to the evaluation of your child obtained by your school district. However, your school district may not require an explanation and may not unreasonably delay either providing the independent educational evaluation of your child at public expense or filing a due process complaint to request a due process hearing to defend the school district’s evaluation of your child.

You are entitled to only one independent educational evaluation of your child at public expense each time your school district conducts an evaluation of your child with which you disagree.

1. Right to obtain an independent educational evaluation by a qualified examiner.

2. Right to have the independent evaluation obtained at either public or private expense considered in either meetings where placement or program decisions are made or in a hearing regarding a free appropriate public education.

3. Right to be told where an independent evaluation may be obtained at no expense or low expense.

4. Right to an independent evaluation at public expense under the same criteria as those used by the public agency under which the evaluation is obtained, including the location of the evaluation if you disagree with the agency's evaluation, except that the public agency has the right to initiate a hearing regarding a free appropriate public education to show that its evaluation is appropriate.

5. Right to an independent evaluation at public expense when the evaluation is requested by a hearing officer during a hearing.

From: Marilyn Pyles <hillbillyhelper2@...>Reply-autism To: autism Subject: Re: Question about OTDate: Fri, 18 May 2007 19:50:00 -0700 (PDT)

If you disaggree with the school evaluation you have the right to request in writing that an independent evaluation be done at school expense; they have a certain time frame of days in which they have to respond to your request.

Marilyn Pyles <jenniferdoxakis > wrote:

The school is going to do a OT evaluation for my son. Should I also have the ped give a referral for one outside the school system? I had called and left a message for her a few days ago about the referral before I had the IEP meeting. Can I do both or is the schools evaluation enough?

Get your own web address.Have a HUGE year through Small Business.

More photos, more messages, more storage—get 2GB with Windows Live Hotmail.

Guest guest

This is what the parental rights, revised October 2006, say regarding independent evaluation. It is taken directly from the www.doe.k12.ga.us website under exceptional students. Link to parenteral rights document is at bottom right corner of the screen.

INDEPENDENT EDUCATIONAL EVALUATION:

Independent educational evaluation means an evaluation conducted by a qualified examiner who is not employed by the school district responsible for the education of your child.

Public expense means that the school district either pays for the full cost of the evaluation or ensures that the evaluation is otherwise provided at no cost to you, consistent with the provisions of Part B of the IDEA, which allow each State to use whatever State, local, Federal and private sources of support are available in the State to meet the requirements of Part B of the Act.

If you request an independent educational evaluation of your child at public expense, your school district must, without unnecessary delay, either: (a) File a due process complaint to request a hearing to show that its evaluation of your child is appropriate; or (B) Provide an independent educational evaluation at public expense, unless the school district demonstrates in a hearing that the evaluation of your child that you obtained did not meet the school district’s criteria.

1. If your school district requests a hearing and the final decision is that your school district’s evaluation of your child is appropriate, you still have the right to an independent educational evaluation, but not at public expense.

2. If you request an independent educational evaluation of your child, the school district may ask why you object to the evaluation of your child obtained by your school district. However, your school district may not require an explanation and may not unreasonably delay either providing the independent educational evaluation of your child at public expense or filing a due process complaint to request a due process hearing to defend the school district’s evaluation of your child.

You are entitled to only one independent educational evaluation of your child at public expense each time your school district conducts an evaluation of your child with which you disagree.

1. Right to obtain an independent educational evaluation by a qualified examiner.

2. Right to have the independent evaluation obtained at either public or private expense considered in either meetings where placement or program decisions are made or in a hearing regarding a free appropriate public education.

3. Right to be told where an independent evaluation may be obtained at no expense or low expense.

4. Right to an independent evaluation at public expense under the same criteria as those used by the public agency under which the evaluation is obtained, including the location of the evaluation if you disagree with the agency's evaluation, except that the public agency has the right to initiate a hearing regarding a free appropriate public education to show that its evaluation is appropriate.

5. Right to an independent evaluation at public expense when the evaluation is requested by a hearing officer during a hearing.

From: Marilyn Pyles <hillbillyhelper2@...>Reply-autism To: autism Subject: Re: Question about OTDate: Fri, 18 May 2007 19:50:00 -0700 (PDT)

If you disaggree with the school evaluation you have the right to request in writing that an independent evaluation be done at school expense; they have a certain time frame of days in which they have to respond to your request.

Marilyn Pyles <jenniferdoxakis > wrote:

Get your own web address.Have a HUGE year through Small Business.

More photos, more messages, more storage—get 2GB with Windows Live Hotmail.

Guest guest

I have to agree with . If your insurance will cover private

therapies such as speech, occupational, etc. then I would take full

advantage of it. If you find a good therapist your child will get so

much more out of private therapy. I'm not bashing the schools or

saying they don't do a good job, but in most cases our kids need more

than what we get through the school system. We've been in GA for 1

year & I've been very impressed with the services my daughter has

received as well as her teachers & the progress she's made. Before

moving to GA I said all the time my daughters progress was not due to

the services she got through school, but the private therapies &

treatments we did. My daughter was diagnosed with Autism right after

turning 2. At that time our insurance wouldn't cover any of the

therapies & treatments she needed and the school district offered

very little. So we went into debt & maxed out our credit cards to

pay for private therapy. I sat in during most of the therapy

sessions to learn all I could so I could duplicate the therapy at

home. It has been worth it because at 6 years old she is now very

high functioning. We were lucky that the treatments we chose all

helped her into making large amounts of progress in a short amount of

time.

The first three years after getting the diagnosis we were constantly

doing some type of therapy. We worked it into everything we did at

home & away from home. I tried very hard to be creative & make

things fun so my daughters didn't get sick of it. However I feel

like the intense therapy we did for those first 3 years has really

made the difference.

Wendie

Guest guest

I also agree. My son had an evaluation at his school when he was 3 and it was just

" okay " but they did not put much emphasis on sensory system or sensory

integration at all. This was his biggest need and still is despite losing his

autism diagnosis in February. Our private therapist does sensory integration and

I attend every weekly session and through the summer she has a camp one day

a week with peers to work on his sensory system when with children which looks

much different than when in a structured environment or with adults. It has been

worth every dime and if your insurance covers I encourage you to do that. We had

a therapist at Marcus Center that was ok but we never knew what a difference an

excellent therapist makes until we switched this year upon a recommendation from

some one. So, I would ask around and get recommendations from others as well. We

have things to work on with our son (given by our OT) every week and many times there

does not seem like there is time in the day to do them all but it has made a huge impact.

She taught us this program called " The Alert Program " which is also referred to as the engine

concept and my son's school had her come teach the teachers which was nice. You can

see the books on their website and I think they are pretty inexpensive as well. The web site is

www.alertprogram.com

hth

Annemarie

On 5/19/07, cigarboxgrl <wendieh@...> wrote:

I have to agree with . If your insurance will cover private therapies such as speech, occupational, etc. then I would take full advantage of it. If you find a good therapist your child will get so much more out of private therapy. I'm not bashing the schools or saying they don't do a good job, but in most cases our kids need more than what we get through the school system. We've been in GA for 1 year & I've been very impressed with the services my daughter has received as well as her teachers & the progress she's made. Before moving to GA I said all the time my daughters progress was not due to the services she got through school, but the private therapies & treatments we did. My daughter was diagnosed with Autism right after turning 2. At that time our insurance wouldn't cover any of the therapies & treatments she needed and the school district offered

very little. So we went into debt & maxed out our credit cards to pay for private therapy. I sat in during most of the therapy sessions to learn all I could so I could duplicate the therapy at home. It has been worth it because at 6 years old she is now very high functioning. We were lucky that the treatments we chose all helped her into making large amounts of progress in a short amount of time.The first three years after getting the diagnosis we were constantly doing some type of therapy. We worked it into everything we did at home & away from home. I tried very hard to be creative & make things fun so my daughters didn't get sick of it. However I feel

like the intense therapy we did for those first 3 years has really made the difference. Wendie -- Annemarie Messerschmidt

Guest guest

Be careful of lifetime caps on your private insurance as well. We tried to place our son in a facility for Autism in VA and the insurance denied it saying that he would use up his entire lifetime allotment in 3 months. Waiver in WV also has a lifetime cap. Marilyn Pyles Athens, GAcigarboxgrl <wendieh@...> wrote: I have to agree with . If your insurance will cover private therapies such as speech, occupational, etc. then I would take full

advantage of it. If you find a good therapist your child will get so much more out of private therapy. I'm not bashing the schools or saying they don't do a good job, but in most cases our kids need more than what we get through the school system. We've been in GA for 1 year & I've been very impressed with the services my daughter has received as well as her teachers & the progress she's made. Before moving to GA I said all the time my daughters progress was not due to the services she got through school, but the private therapies & treatments we did. My daughter was diagnosed with Autism right after turning 2. At that time our insurance wouldn't cover any of the therapies & treatments she needed and the school district offered very little. So we went into debt & maxed out our credit cards to pay for private therapy. I sat in during most of the therapy sessions to learn all I could so I could

duplicate the therapy at home. It has been worth it because at 6 years old she is now very high functioning. We were lucky that the treatments we chose all helped her into making large amounts of progress in a short amount of time.The first three years after getting the diagnosis we were constantly doing some type of therapy. We worked it into everything we did at home & away from home. I tried very hard to be creative & make things fun so my daughters didn't get sick of it. However I feel like the intense therapy we did for those first 3 years has really made the difference. Wendie

Looking for a deal? Find great prices on flights and hotels with FareChase.

Guest guest

And since the evaluation is cheaper than a due process, most LEAs give you the free evaluation. Marilyn Pyles Beasley <wbeasley2004@...> wrote: This is what the parental rights, revised October 2006, say regarding independent evaluation. It is taken directly from the www.doe.k12.ga.us website under exceptional students. Link to parenteral rights document is at bottom right corner of the

screen. INDEPENDENT EDUCATIONAL EVALUATION: Independent educational evaluation means an evaluation conducted by a qualified examiner who is not employed by the school district responsible for the education of your child. Public expense means that the school district either pays for the full cost of the evaluation or ensures that the evaluation is otherwise provided at no cost to you, consistent with the provisions of Part B of the IDEA, which allow each State to use whatever State, local,

Federal and private sources of support are available in the State to meet the requirements of Part B of the Act. If you request an independent educational evaluation of your child at public expense, your school district must, without unnecessary delay, either: (a) File a due process complaint to request a hearing to show that its evaluation of your child is appropriate; or (B) Provide an independent educational evaluation at public expense, unless the school district demonstrates in a hearing that the evaluation of your child that you obtained did not meet the school district’s criteria. 1. If your school district requests a hearing and the final decision is that your school district’s evaluation of your child is appropriate, you still have the right to an independent educational evaluation, but not at public expense. 2. If you request an independent educational evaluation of your child, the school district may ask why you object to the evaluation of your child obtained by your school district. However, your school district may not require an explanation and may not unreasonably delay either providing the independent educational evaluation of your child at public expense or filing a due process complaint to request a due process hearing to defend the school district’s

evaluation of your child. You are entitled to only one independent educational evaluation of your child at public expense each time your school district conducts an evaluation of your child with which you disagree. 1. Right to obtain an independent educational evaluation by a qualified examiner. 2. Right to have the independent evaluation obtained at either public or private expense

considered in either meetings where placement or program decisions are made or in a hearing regarding a free appropriate public education. 3. Right to be told where an independent evaluation may be obtained at no expense or low expense. 4. Right to an independent evaluation at public expense under the same criteria as those used by the public agency under which the evaluation is obtained, including the location of the evaluation if you disagree with the agency's evaluation, except that the public agency has the right to initiate a hearing regarding a free appropriate public education to show that its evaluation is appropriate. 5. Right to an independent evaluation at public expense when the evaluation is requested by a hearing officer during a hearing. From: Marilyn Pyles <hillbillyhelper2 >Reply-autism To: autism Subject: Re: Question about OTDate: Fri, 18 May 2007 19:50:00 -0700 (PDT) If you disaggree with the school evaluation you have the right to request in writing that an independent evaluation be

done at school expense; they have a certain time frame of days in which they have to respond to your request. Marilyn Pyles <jenniferdoxakis > wrote: The school is going to do a OT evaluation for my son. Should I also have the ped give a referral for one outside the school system? I had called and left a message for her a few days ago about the referral before I had the IEP meeting. Can I do both or is the schools evaluation enough? www.ourchurch.com/member/b/amyangel/ Pinpoint customers who are looking for what you sell. Get your own web address.Have a HUGE year through

Small Business. More photos, more messages, more storage—get 2GB with Windows Live Hotmail.

Be a better Globetrotter. Get better travel answers from someone who knows. Answers - Check it out.

Guest guest

And since the evaluation is cheaper than a due process, most LEAs give you the free evaluation. Marilyn Pyles Beasley <wbeasley2004@...> wrote: This is what the parental rights, revised October 2006, say regarding independent evaluation. It is taken directly from the www.doe.k12.ga.us website under exceptional students. Link to parenteral rights document is at bottom right corner of the

screen. INDEPENDENT EDUCATIONAL EVALUATION: Independent educational evaluation means an evaluation conducted by a qualified examiner who is not employed by the school district responsible for the education of your child. Public expense means that the school district either pays for the full cost of the evaluation or ensures that the evaluation is otherwise provided at no cost to you, consistent with the provisions of Part B of the IDEA, which allow each State to use whatever State, local,

Federal and private sources of support are available in the State to meet the requirements of Part B of the Act. If you request an independent educational evaluation of your child at public expense, your school district must, without unnecessary delay, either: (a) File a due process complaint to request a hearing to show that its evaluation of your child is appropriate; or (B) Provide an independent educational evaluation at public expense, unless the school district demonstrates in a hearing that the evaluation of your child that you obtained did not meet the school district’s criteria. 1. If your school district requests a hearing and the final decision is that your school district’s evaluation of your child is appropriate, you still have the right to an independent educational evaluation, but not at public expense. 2. If you request an independent educational evaluation of your child, the school district may ask why you object to the evaluation of your child obtained by your school district. However, your school district may not require an explanation and may not unreasonably delay either providing the independent educational evaluation of your child at public expense or filing a due process complaint to request a due process hearing to defend the school district’s

evaluation of your child. You are entitled to only one independent educational evaluation of your child at public expense each time your school district conducts an evaluation of your child with which you disagree. 1. Right to obtain an independent educational evaluation by a qualified examiner. 2. Right to have the independent evaluation obtained at either public or private expense

considered in either meetings where placement or program decisions are made or in a hearing regarding a free appropriate public education. 3. Right to be told where an independent evaluation may be obtained at no expense or low expense. 4. Right to an independent evaluation at public expense under the same criteria as those used by the public agency under which the evaluation is obtained, including the location of the evaluation if you disagree with the agency's evaluation, except that the public agency has the right to initiate a hearing regarding a free appropriate public education to show that its evaluation is appropriate. 5. Right to an independent evaluation at public expense when the evaluation is requested by a hearing officer during a hearing. From: Marilyn Pyles <hillbillyhelper2 >Reply-autism To: autism Subject: Re: Question about OTDate: Fri, 18 May 2007 19:50:00 -0700 (PDT) If you disaggree with the school evaluation you have the right to request in writing that an independent evaluation be

done at school expense; they have a certain time frame of days in which they have to respond to your request. Marilyn Pyles <jenniferdoxakis > wrote: The school is going to do a OT evaluation for my son. Should I also have the ped give a referral for one outside the school system? I had called and left a message for her a few days ago about the referral before I had the IEP meeting. Can I do both or is the schools evaluation enough? www.ourchurch.com/member/b/amyangel/ Pinpoint customers who are looking for what you sell. Get your own web address.Have a HUGE year through

Small Business. More photos, more messages, more storage—get 2GB with Windows Live Hotmail.

Be a better Globetrotter. Get better travel answers from someone who knows. Answers - Check it out.

• 9 months later...
Guest guest

Ah-hah! Now I get it!!!

Thank you to the ladies I received responses from. I thought OT was " OT " , as in

Occupational Therapy. lol!

Once a dork, always a dork. :)

Mom to n (4 & 11 mos) and Chase (15 mos), Ds & IS

Question about OT

OK! I know this is simple, but help!!!! lol! What does it mean when you all put

" OT " in front of a problem you are having? (the most recent exapmle is for the

Webkinz) I just don't get it. I've tried. I think I see what you guys are

getting at with it, but I guess I would like to know what you all mean by it.

I'm a dork! :)

Thanks!

Dork Mom,

____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _

Be a better friend, newshound, and

know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now. http://mobile. /

;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR 8HDtDypao8Wcj9tA cJ

Guest guest

Off topic... not about DS

dont worry .. took me a little time to figure it out also

In a message dated 3/5/2008 11:50:41 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,

shmeegs2003@... writes:

OK! I know this is simple, but help!!!! lol! What does it mean when you all

put " OT " in front of a problem you are having? (the most recent exapmle is for

the Webkinz) I just don't get it. I've tried. I think I see what you guys

are getting at with it, but I guess I would like to know what you all mean by

it. I'm a dork! :)

Thanks!

Dork Mom,

know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now.

_http://mobile.http://mobhttp://mobile.<Whttp://mobile.<Wht_

(http://mobile./;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ)

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

**************It's Tax Time! Get tips, forms, and advice on AOL Money &

Finance. (http://money.aol.com/tax?NCID=aolprf00030000000001)

Guest guest

You are not a dork... in this case instead of Occupational therapy it actually

means Off Topic... as in nothing to do with someone who happens to have Down

syndrome

-------------- Original message --------------

OK! I know this is simple, but help!!!! lol! What does it mean when you all put

" OT " in front of a problem you are having? (the most recent exapmle is for the

Webkinz) I just don't get it. I've tried. I think I see what you guys are

Thanks!

Dork Mom,

http://mobile./;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ

Guest guest

I am so sorry...no dork at all...

your question has been answered....

sometimes when you have something going on you have to come to your pals for

help...i have no idea what was going on but having no probs now...wierd stuff

~Angie~

If you would like to sponsor Sydnie

in a Mathathon for ST JUDES

please let me know by FEB 28.

May God Bless You As He Has Us

~~DREAM BIG~~

An extra little chromosome,

that's all it is, you see.

Where all of you were born with two,

She was blessed with three.

Re: Question about OT

You are not a dork... in this case instead of Occupational therapy it actually

means Off Topic... as in nothing to do with someone who happens to have Down

syndrome

-------------- Original message --------------

OK! I know this is simple, but help!!!! lol! What does it mean when you all

put " OT " in front of a problem you are having? (the most recent exapmle is for

the Webkinz) I just don't get it. I've tried. I think I see what you guys are

Thanks!

Dork Mom,

http://mobile./;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ